potato leek soup, cream substitute

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sardia

potato leek soup, cream substitute

Postby sardia » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:39 pm UTC

I have a recipe that suggests heavy cream plus buttermilk to give it an acidic tang to my soup. I was thinking of saving myself trouble of buying two kinds of dairy by getting heavy cream plus an acid, lemons. Good idea or will people notice?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: potato leek soup, cream substitute

Postby Angua » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:43 pm UTC

You can make buttermilk by putting some acid (vinegar, lemon juice) into normal milk and letting it sit for 10 minutes.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:31 pm UTC

What you make by acidifying milk with lemon juice is not actually buttermilk- either the original liquid left from churning butter nor the cultured version sold in american grocery stores. You do get milk which has thickened and has a nice tang, so it can be used as buttermilk. I have seen this called soured milk, to distinguish it from milk gone bad, or sour.
Since this trick also works with soy milk, you can use it for vegan dishes when necessary.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:34 pm UTC

What about adding lemon juice to the broth? Will that cause the soup to taste good as well? I am not trying to sour milk but it is an option.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:57 pm UTC

you could add creme franche, which is lightly soured heavy cream (sometimes using a buttermilk culture). Although lemons in the broth might be pretty tasty as well, and could help brighten up the heavyness of the cream.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:12 pm UTC

Lemon is a totally good thing in soup. Any tasty acid will add a nice bit of pointiness to the broth if you use it sparingly (taste early, taste often): citrus, mild or flavoured vinegar, tart fruit juice. It enhances flavour without adding more salt.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:48 am UTC

The lemon didn't work out as I expected, (works much better in white chicken chili). I think I'll stick with buttermilk in the future, though creme freche sounds tempting.

Return to “Food”