Deviled Pickled Eggs

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

azule
Saved

Deviled Pickled Eggs

Postby azule » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:12 pm UTC

What foods are there who's process of making them is their name? Pickles are actually "pickled cucumbers". French fries are actually "French fried potato (slices)".

What else can you pickle that is actually just as good as its namesake? What about deviling, French frying, candying, etc?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

natraj

Re: Deviled Pickled Eggs

Postby natraj » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:54 am UTC

you can pickle SO many things. in india we pickle an enormous variety of things with tons of spices and oil and so much flavour and that is what we call "pickle"; the first time someone ever gave me a pickle(d cucumber) and told me it was a pickle, i literally gagged when i ate it because it was so revolting (as compared to the deliciously spiced pickle i was expecting; i actually love some kinds of pickled-cucumbers now, especially bubbies brand, but the expectation-vs-flavour mismatch was so drastic i was unprepared for what america-style-'pickle' was)

but you can pickle SO MANY THING. i love onion pickle and mango pickle and garlic pickle and cauliflower pickle most of all. lime achar is also good.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:28 am UTC

I think American-style pickled cucumbers are gross, but I could eat the pickled ginger that is served with sushi (gari) just by itself.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:54 am UTC

Big fan of pickled vegetables in the Indian and Japanese style. Mmmmm, pickled daikon... Pickled onions, so many varieties, so tasty with pulled pork or carnitas, so easy to make.

I'm not sure what else you can "devil" but you can candy or fry just about anything (and if you can think it up it's probably been done at a state fair somewhere in the US).

"Mash" is another one, although it doesn't just mean one thing (though neither does "pickle").
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:13 am UTC

You can devil lamb kidneys. Or ham. Neither has much resemblance to the sort of deviling you do to eggs, though.

I love Indian-style pickles, and there's so much more variety than what I see in Indian groceries in the US. The south Indian side of my family is big on spicy mustard-mango pickle. They also pickle shrimp or chicken sometimes, in a similar style. Ginger, tomato and garlic are a few other favorites.

My north Indian relatives make a totally different style of pickles. Less chile, more mustard oil, the pickles are pungent and salty, but not that hot. The vegetables tend to retain more of their texture as well. Jackfruit works great in this style of pickle.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:33 pm UTC

natraj wrote:you can pickle SO many things. in india we pickle an enormous variety of things with tons of spices and oil and so much flavour and that is what we call "pickle"; the first time someone ever gave me a pickle(d cucumber) and told me it was a pickle, i literally gagged when i ate it because it was so revolting (as compared to the deliciously spiced pickle i was expecting; i actually love some kinds of pickled-cucumbers now, especially bubbies brand, but the expectation-vs-flavour mismatch was so drastic i was unprepared for what america-style-'pickle' was)

but you can pickle SO MANY THING. i love onion pickle and mango pickle and garlic pickle and cauliflower pickle most of all. lime achar is also good.

Was it a 'bread & butter' (AKA: 'sweet') pickle, or a dill pickle? Dill pickles are a wonderful thing as they are and also have the option of adding a lot of hot spiciness to the pickling. Sweet pickles are an abomination that should never be used outside of relish or diced up into tuna salad.

My mom used to make dill pickles when we had a garden - even growing her own dill - and would make plain & spicy versions. IDK what peppers she used, but they were a tasty little inferno in your mouth. A mason jar of those at college was practically currency. Her dill-pickled carrots were another masterpiece. I'm hesitant about buying them in specialty food shops because I once bought a jar w/ soft carrots. The carrots should still have a nice crunch to them after pickling.

Then there are half-sour pickles, which are just semi-crunchy, briny, cucumbers.They have their place, but can never fully replace a good dill.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:36 pm UTC

azule wrote:What foods are there who's process of making them is their name? Pickles are actually "pickled cucumbers". French fries are actually "French fried potato (slices)".

Azule's right, pickle means a pickled cucumber. Yes, there are pickled eggs and pickled beets, but they are not called "pickles".

Anyway, I thought of a couple more: toast[ed bread] and roast [beef].
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:32 pm UTC

Depends on what you mean by "pickled"

In the common vernacular it seems most americans mean a "hot process pickle" or a "vinegar pickle." I don't much like a hot process or vinegar pickle for cucumbers. Now, a fermented cucumber pickle? give me them by the dozen.

Pickled jalapenos (of both kinds), and pickled red onions are staples around my house as well, served with mexican food. Less common but tasty as well are pickled habenaros (which are also generally done with red onions to keep the heat down).
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Return to “Food”