Food fleeting thoughts

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Food fleeting thoughts

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:42 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Would lemon and raspberry make a good combination for cake flavours?

It’s a classic!
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:21 pm UTC

I will show this confirmation to my fiance for cake. He wants lemon. I like raspberry. Thought it would be a nice compromise.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:23 pm UTC

Oh yeah it totally works really well.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:02 am UTC

Chiming in as like the other person to say raspberry and lemon cake would be yummy-yummy good delicious. <3

Spoiler:
I don't like eating/drinking in my house anymore. The animals watch me eat/drink and are waiting for me to get close to their mouths so they can just lunge and steal my food or drinks. I'd rather go hide somewhere no one can see me and eat or drink. In general I prefer not to even touch the stuff unless I'm ravenous and sometimes I play little games with it--Can I afford to purge today a bit, or eat/drink less for a while or eat/drink something I hate-hate so I don't feel tempted anymore? I'm not anorexic though just bulimic. And I weigh a lot for a girly-girl of my body type. A lot-A lot. I feel really fat and bloated around most foods or drinks.
She/Her/Hers.

Sometimes she feels like she should put trigger warnings all over herself?

He buys me a thorn before he buys me a rose/I'm covered in dirt before I'm covered in gold/I'm in love with a monster~

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:37 pm UTC

Why is it that every time I try to find dinner tips that are a) quick b) cheap and c) somewhat healthy, I get all these sites that give me recipes that are none of those things and also contains a bazillion ingredients I've never heard of?

I just want someone to tell me what to make for dinner and be able to follow through on it without taking out a mortgage.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:17 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Why is it that every time I try to find dinner tips that are a) quick b) cheap and c) somewhat healthy, I get all these sites that give me recipes that are none of those things and also contains a bazillion ingredients I've never heard of?

I just want someone to tell me what to make for dinner and be able to follow through on it without taking out a mortgage.

What are you trying to make? And what equipment do you have?( Full kitchen? Microwave and a tin pot?, Blender? Pressure cooker?)
Some stuff is a luxury, and not actually required, like fish sauce which is a flavor enhancer, or some herbs to add depth. Unfortunately, recipes rarely tell you that, and rely on your personal experience in order to customize or strip down the recipe.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:41 pm UTC

sardia wrote:
AngrySquirrel wrote:Why is it that every time I try to find dinner tips that are a) quick b) cheap and c) somewhat healthy, I get all these sites that give me recipes that are none of those things and also contains a bazillion ingredients I've never heard of?

What are you trying to make? And what equipment do you have?( Full kitchen? Microwave and a tin pot?, Blender? Pressure cooker?)
Some stuff is a luxury, and not actually required, like fish sauce which is a flavor enhancer, or some herbs to add depth. Unfortunately, recipes rarely tell you that, and rely on your personal experience in order to customize or strip down the recipe.

a) Dinner
b) a kitchen
c) single person small-kitchen stuff (no pressure cookers, fancy kitchen machines or big things that take up space, but the basics are all there)

I have a experience with cooking, I can strip a recipe as well as anyone, things being "complicated" or "difficult" is not a problem. But I am a single person with limited funds. If there's more than one type of meat required it is too expensive (I prefer vegetarian food as that tends to be cheaper, but if it's things I can get cheaply I'll allow it). And if I have to buy ingredients with severely limited shelf-life it's an annoyance (I hate throwing away food and I'm only one person so there will be leftovers).

they/them/theirs

speising

Postby speising » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:45 pm UTC

I'd like to have a website that takes a list of everything in my kitchen (food, condiments, but maybe even equipment) and then makes recipe recomendations with minimum required shopping.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:48 pm UTC

speising wrote:I'd like to have a website that takes a list of everything in my kitchen (food, condiments, but maybe even equipment) and then makes recipe recomendations with minimum required shopping.

That would be sweet.

Come to think of it, I recall there being a page like that back in the day, but it shut down about 5 years ago due to uhm, don't remember. Something about spam.

they/them/theirs

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:18 pm UTC

*shrugs* I thought you had a question about a particular recipe. My mistake.
AngrySquirrel wrote:
speising wrote:I'd like to have a website that takes a list of everything in my kitchen (food, condiments, but maybe even equipment) and then makes recipe recomendations with minimum required shopping.

That would be sweet.

Come to think of it, I recall there being a page like that back in the day, but it shut down about 5 years ago due to uhm, don't remember. Something about spam.

NPR used to have a series about pantry leftovers, but the ingredients they had were so stereotypical of public radio, the resulting recipes were disappointing.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:00 pm UTC

A neighbor was out of the country and said we were free to pick up their CSA and use it. I attempted to convince the turnips they'd be acceptable in a curry. They were not to be reasoned with.

The real disappointment is that the curry was incredibly delicious prior to my foolish addition.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

Return to “Food”