Stocks vs Broths

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sardia

Stocks vs Broths

Postby sardia » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:26 pm UTC

I've noticed that broths are much cheaper than Stocks, but I'm biased towards stocks. However, considering the difference in them(stocks made from bone, with gelatin, broths are mostly meat based soup), I think I can cheap out safely if the resulting recipe is really thick/mouthfeel/unctuous that it doesn't need help from stock. Has anyone tried this, desperately or not?

Note: I use chicken stock/broth only because chicken stock has the most protein/particulate matter per unit sold. I'm not paying extra for glorified water in the beef stock/veggie stock. It doesn't affect the flavor of beef/veggie dishes except for the vegetarians who I promptly chase out of my house.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Stocks vs Broths

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:19 am UTC

You use stock when the flavor of the soup/sauce is not that of the broth itself. You make broth from stock when the end result is a broth, like chicken soup with motzah balls, or minestrone. This means that the labels are switched from what I learned in food school, but it doesn't really matter. Stock is a building block, broth is a finished product. "Bone broth" is simply stock with a hip new name.
You can improve any boxed stock/broth by simmering some of the relevant ingredient in it. I get chicken thighs on sale and freeze them, then I add one or two to the stock as I'm cooking with it.
The liquids being marketed as stock are unsalted, and cost more because they sound more "culinary". I use the lower sodium broth without worrying about it.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:20 pm UTC

I always just start with water. If the recipe you are using actually has the things in it, this should be fine as well.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:11 pm UTC

Just found this linky from epicurios about their favorite boxed broth/stock, which has its own link to an article about the differences.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:06 pm UTC

doogly wrote:I always just start with water. If the recipe you are using actually has the things in it, this should be fine as well.

So if I made potato leek soup, you'd use water? Or are you referring to something complex like making beef stew, add water to that?

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:12 pm UTC

I keep bones/fat/gristle trimmed from everyday meals in freezer bags, frozen until I gather up enough for a batch of stock, which I then freeze in 2-cup portions. Next to them is a bag of onion/leek tops that I save for a similar purpose.

When I'm in a pinch I use "Better Than Bouillon" brand concentrate, which comes as a paste in a jar, pretty decent for what it is, and beats the pants off a cubed or powdered bouillon like herbox or the like.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:21 am UTC

sardia wrote:
doogly wrote:I always just start with water. If the recipe you are using actually has the things in it, this should be fine as well.

So if I made potato leek soup, you'd use water? Or are you referring to something complex like making beef stew, add water to that?

I, too, always start with water when making soups. I believe doogly means he begins with a pot of water and adds ingredients to it as desired.
kalira wrote:But your own butt is always in the past, because it's behind you.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:27 am UTC

I usually use water as the base, if only because proper stock is problematic. (Allergies and other restrictions argh.) Proper stock does add depth and character, for sure.

In lieu of stock, I'll fry up the initial garlic/onion/spices/tough veggies in the same pot that will be cooking the soup. It'll pick up some of the caramelised bits that way.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:52 am UTC

sardia wrote:

Yup, potato leek works great! I mean it's not just potatoes and leeks though, you probably have another green, maybe an onion and a whole bunch of garlic sauteed in olive oil, and I'd sneak in barley. Carrots too, probably a parsnip.

If your soup did only have the two things in it then it might need something from somewhere else.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Return to “Food”