Pizza Toppings

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sunkistbabe1

Re: Pizza Toppings

Postby sunkistbabe1 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:23 pm UTC

Prole wrote:Just thought of my favourite ever topping.

Wood fired oven.
Thin base.
Tomato sauce base,
Chorizo,
Roasted red pepper.
Cheese

Absolutely delish.

drool......
- Sunkist -

kaztiyo

Postby kaztiyo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:43 pm UTC

chorizo,
mushrooms,
jalapeno,
onions,
bell pepper,
lots o' cheese
Image Image Image

jgcrawfo

Postby jgcrawfo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:44 pm UTC

It was my birthday recently (in fact, the last day there was a post here), and since I'm not one for a big party on my account, I just had people around for a top-your-own-pizza event. I made up enough dough to cover my 12" by 18" stone four times, and prepared a bunch of toppings.
Toppings provided for my guests:
-Broccoli and spinach, parboiled
-Portobello mushrooms
-Roasted zucchini and red pepper
-Fancy salami, sliced the chopped into strips.
-Grated mozzarella, crumbled havarti, and finely sliced romano cheese
-Olives
-Whole garlic cloves
-Chickpeas
The last pizza made, which contained all of these, was straight amazing.

Artichoke hearts are also pretty awesome. The standard pizzas I buy are chicken-spinach-feta or artichoke-feta-broccoli.

Another delicious thing is just to fry up some onions, garlic, and bacon (must be good quality or it'll just make it taste like junk), then toss in some diced fresh tomatoes, cooking until it's kind of saucy/thick/bubbly, then topping a (thin) pizza with just that.

Mecks

Postby Mecks » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:34 am UTC

Rodan wrote:pepperoni and onions is the only combination of the gods.

And if fresh garlic is an option, add that.
For both garlic and onions, the fresher the better.

This man knows food.

Pepperoni and onions is the combination of the gods. Not your namby-pamby gods like Buddha or Jesus, either: I'm talking Odin or Anubis-type gods.
You can't sleep at night
You can't dream your dream
Your fingerprints on file
Left clumsily at the scene

Your own worst enemy has come to town...

BNOOOOGERS

Postby BNOOOOGERS » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:05 am UTC

Pepperoni and pepperoncini pizza is great. It has more spice than pepperoni and onion.

And I love anchovies :D

artichoke hearts, feta, and onion is good for veggie pizza

I hate plain cheese pizza, not because its bad, but because its a waste of all that flavor potential

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:38 pm UTC

okay, good: Cheese & tomato & herbs etc. (obviously)
Macaroni cheese goes awesomely.
Potato is good
ham/bacon works nicely.
chicken isnt bad.

Combine any or even better all of these for extreme win. I will actually be trying various combinations of these myself of course. Hopefully soon.

Tuna also goes okay depending on your tastes. I'll eat other types of standard pizzas but generally from a shop I get margherita (plain tomato cheese and herbs)

EDIT: I also may need to try out a pesto based pizza at some stage, although you arent meant to cook pesto so I'll need to be careful.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:55 pm UTC

plain. plain. plain.

Pizza is about the zen and harmony of cheese, crust, and sauce. If you throw the kitchen sink on the top, you might as well just throw a bunch of stuff on a piece of bread and coat it in cheese. That's not pizza. The only topping that is permitted is thin sliced pepperoni and even that should be used in no more than a 50/50 consumption over the course of your life. Course, my "New York" style is surprisingly unappreciated.

If you can see the sauce through the cheese, there's not enough cheese. If you can hold a slice by the end without it flopping all over your arm, the crust is too thick or crispy. If the sauce has an actual red color, it's too thick and the tomatoes were too old. Proper sauce is sweet from tomatoes and not sugar and so fresh it has an almost orange tint. Basil should only be used at about 1 leaf per CAN of sauce (or less, to taste), not multiple per pizza.

Also, if the pizza craftsmen didn't throw the dough over their head at least 10 times, it's not a friggin pizza.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:12 pm UTC

I once had a pizza with nothing but the dough and onions.

I love being Italian so much.

sunkistbabe1

Postby sunkistbabe1 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:29 pm UTC

We just made a pirogi pizza this past weekend. Cooked up several pirogies, then chopped them up and placed them on a pizza with some cooked crumbled bacon, green onions, mushrooms (including some portabello) and red onion.

Doing that one again soon! :)
- Sunkist -

jgcrawfo

Postby jgcrawfo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:11 am UTC

Man, how can anyone try to rigidly define pizza? It is honkin' delicious, however you spin it. I've made pizzas with just onions or just roasted garlic, and I feel fine calling that pizza. That is cool. There's this sweet place in Toronto that does all kinds of pizzas, including a potato and cream pizza, which is amazing.
There is something elegant and beautiful about the perfect tomato-cheese-pepperoni pizza, but many things are pizza.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:24 am UTC

jgcrawfo wrote:There is something elegant and beautiful about the perfect tomato-cheese-pepperoni pizza.

It goes along with All Beef Hamburgers, Baseball and the Statue of Liberty on things that are 100% American

Well, actually more like 50%, cant forget the Italians

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:03 am UTC

Aleril wrote:It goes along with All Beef Hamburgers (invented in Germany), Baseball and the Statue of Liberty (made in France) on things that are 100% American
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

crazydragon

Postby crazydragon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:38 am UTC

but no one mentioned my favorite! my absolute favorite pizza is sunflower seeds (shelled), green onions, and thin slices of gummy worms, like little dissected science class experiments, split down the middle and drowned in their tomato-ey blood...
i also like to buy a large double cheese pizza and a whole package of pepperoni, then stack the entire pack of pepperoni in geometric patters and take pictures before i eat it with a spoon. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:38 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
Aleril wrote:It goes along with All Beef Hamburgers (invented in Germany and stolen by Americans.), Baseball and the Statue of Liberty (made in France as a present to the Americans) on things that are 100% American

[/patriotism]

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

BBQ chicken pizza with onions and peppers=WIN
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:00 am UTC

you know, I think America gets a bad rap on this whole stealing of food thing because of the nature of our culture. America IS, more than anything else, a collection of other cultures all mashed into one. What is more dominantly American than anything else is taking something and making something new out of it. Our pizza is nothing like Italian pizza. Our Hamburgers and hot dogs have grown quite different than their German roots. I hate to break it to you but if you've tried our Chinese food, it's not exactly Chinese. There certainly are ingredients from around the world in our food and the NAMES of the food are often ethnic, but the food is quite different.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

jgcrawfo

Postby jgcrawfo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:15 am UTC

Isn't there, like, a whole other thread devoted to American food? American food certainly exists and has it's own identity, but foods derivative from other cultures are doomed to be looked down on by purists of the originating culture.
Nevertheless, arguing about who came up with what first is certainly nothing new. Gyros and donairs (doner kebab) are essentially the same thing, but Greeks and Turks will both insist that they invented it and that theirs is better than the others for however many reasons.
Which is just to say, culturally, we're all connected, and where there is pride or nationalism, there will be people telling you your stuff is crap.

P.S. It looks like the Turks are winning on Wikipedia, since Doner Kebab is the only one to claim it was first, and it's is apparently trying to annex shwarma as well

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:34 am UTC

Tomato base
Tasty cheese
Parmesan
Mozzarella
Gorgonzola
Garlic
Pepper.

This is all you need on a pizza! :D

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:11 pm UTC

Yes, so we have defined the minimum. And so now we add to that... which is kinda the whole idea of this thread I thought.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:00 am UTC

Dude, no, that is the maximum I would put on my pizza, thus "all you need".

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:06 am UTC

"all you need" is a minimum. "all you ever want" is a maximum.

Not to say that doesn't sound good, but I like experimenting.

Website

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:12 am UTC

Vanguard wrote:I would love to have a pizza with
-Every meat available (not every meat possible, I don't want lambchops on my pizza)
-extra cheese (the more kinds the better)
-pineapple

That would make me a happy camper.

That is exactly right. The pineapple cuts the salt from the meat, and all that meat is just sooo good.

Get your minds out of the gutter, I am talking about food here, salty meat, not what you are thinking, pervs.

The extra cheese is also necessary.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:15 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I am talking about food here, salty meat, not what you are thinking, pervs.
What's wrong with Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls?

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:21 am UTC

My usual pizza if I'm buying one will have some sort of meat protein (prawns, salami, ham etc), mushrooms and pineapple (tomato sauce and cheese being obligatory). Olives only if they've got good ones, capsicum optional, onions no.

If I'm making it at home, it's usually whatever I've got on hand, but if I plan in advance I'll generally go for something simple - loads of fresh basil, not too much sauce or cheese, some fresh tomato slices (not enough to make it soggy, just enough to get all oven-dried and tangy), maybe some good quality ham.

I, Lounger

Postby I, Lounger » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:26 pm UTC

I like basically any pizza topping, but give me a thin dough tomato sauce + lotsa cheese + pepperoni pie topped with fresh tomato slices (only added during the last few minutes of baking, to keep'em juicy) and all is right in the world for that moment.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:20 am UTC

My friend really does like anchovies on his pizza. Twice (at the same time) from two different main stream pizza chains we have tried to order it. I believe it was the lady a Dominos who said that in her five years working there, no one has ever ordered it. My friend was sad of course because he "wanted his damn anchovies". Some people just like fish man. Give them some love [,pizza chains].
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:54 am UTC

There is only one answer to me:

Fried egg, Salami and Ham! Yummy!
mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.

poleboy

Postby poleboy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:39 am UTC

The best pizza I've had is a tie between a local place that makes divine deep-pan Margheritas (wrong on so many levels) and a traditional pizza I had in Italy with tomato(paste), cheese and mushrooms.

Thumbs up for:

Pepperoni. Seems made for pizza.
Sliced ham, preferably of Italian origin. I always steer clear of the shredded stuff, that's just nasty.
Different cheeses. No explanation needed here.
Mushrooms. Just personal preference.

Thumbs down:

Pineapple. It can work I guess, but I think the flavor is too far away from what I want a pizza to taste like. It doesn't work too well with tomato either, which kinda defeats the point.
Fresh salad. This needs to be done very carefully and most people screw it up. It tastes fine when it's done right, but it's not that special.
Bearnaise. What the hell were you thinking?
Pasta. It's a different dish, stop screwing with my conceptions of Italian food.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:06 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:My usual pizza if I'm buying one will have some sort of meat protein (prawns, salami, ham etc), mushrooms and pineapple (tomato sauce and cheese being obligatory). Olives only if they've got good ones, capsicum optional, onions no.

I am amazed by two things:

1) That shrimp/prawns are common enough on pizzas in Australia to be listed in that nature.
2) That you call peppers capsicum, although wikipedia tells me this general practice in Australia.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:41 am UTC

hehe
Sometimes I'm amazed by cultural differences to which I'm completely oblivious :P The whole prawns/capsicum thing is totally normal to me. And ya, bell peppers are capsicums and hot peppers are chillies. Black/green/red peppercorns are pepper.

When sheol was a teenager, his family went on holiday to the USA. They were surprised when they couldn't get a "Hawaiian" pizza in Hawaii. Around here, that's a pizza with ham and pineapple.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

I'm a little strange in that I like my pizzas almost burnt. I haven a dislike for stretchy, stringy cheese.

Pepperoni, sausage, olives, and red and green peppers for me. Cooked golden brown.

And then throw some Parmesan cheese on top when it's done.

Edit:
mosc wrote:plain. plain. plain.

Pizza is about the zen and harmony of cheese, crust, and sauce. If you throw the kitchen sink on the top, you might as well just throw a bunch of stuff on a piece of bread and coat it in cheese. That's not pizza. The only topping that is permitted is thin sliced pepperoni and even that should be used in no more than a 50/50 consumption over the course of your life. Course, my "New York" style is surprisingly unappreciated.

If you can see the sauce through the cheese, there's not enough cheese. If you can hold a slice by the end without it flopping all over your arm, the crust is too thick or crispy. If the sauce has an actual red color, it's too thick and the tomatoes were too old. Proper sauce is sweet from tomatoes and not sugar and so fresh it has an almost orange tint. Basil should only be used at about 1 leaf per CAN of sauce (or less, to taste), not multiple per pizza.

Also, if the pizza craftsmen didn't throw the dough over their head at least 10 times, it's not a friggin pizza.

No offense, but I don't appreciate being told what's "permitted" on my damn pizza.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

Be glad I'm not emperor of the world then!

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:02 pm UTC

Apologies. I posted that before I had anything with caffeine.

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

I do get that a lot. I have trouble expressing opinions in ways people don't feel criticized by. Personally, I've always thought that on matters of preference, a statement is inherently an opinion but many people seem to disagree and still want it worded as if I'm talking about what I THINK 2+2 really is. I expressed my opinions of Pizza as my opinions yet I can understand why you would view them as criticisms of your own opinion.

Still though, how can you not have a preference and think people who disagree with you are incorrect? I think Pizza is better when cheese, sauce, and dough are the three predominant flavors/textures. I think other pizzas are inherently inferior. I don't think other's OPINIONS are inherently inferior though. Just voicing mine.

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:28 am UTC

And I too often take things personally. Opinions are opinions. That's fine.

mosc wrote:Still though, how can you not have a preference and think people who disagree with you are incorrect? I think Pizza is better when cheese, sauce, and dough are the three predominant flavors/textures. I think other pizzas are inherently inferior. I don't think other's OPINIONS are inherently inferior though. Just voicing mine.

I think we might just be using "incorrect" differently. I'm not going like...say...lots of mushrooms on a pizza, but I feel it's kind of harsh to say that someone who does like it is "wrong". I get flashbacks of junior high where kids were picked on because they were "weird" because they didn't like...whatever. Anyway, I appreciate you clearing up what you meant.

Swinging back on topic!

It's long been a tradition of me and my older brother to make a pizza when he comes to visit, as we find it a fun way to get rid of leftovers. We cheat on the crust because we can never get it right, but we make our own sauce and prepare most of the toppings ourselves. It's fun times and we've tried some interesting things, including BBQ turkey and Jalapenos.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:49 am UTC

poleboy wrote:Pineapple. ... doesn't work too well with tomato

Safe to say it does, given the abundance and popularity of pineapple salsas, not to mention the fact they're both fruits. Clearly the issue of pineapple on a pizza is very polarizing—people tend to love it or hate it—but from an objective culinary standpoint, it's a good pairing.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

doggitydogs

Postby doggitydogs » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:31 am UTC

I am aware that this thread is three years old. I don't care.

First, let it be known that I will NOT eat pizza with tomato sauce. Nor do I substitute it for something else like barbecue sauce. I just put the cheese on the bread. Actually, the only thing that I eat with tomato sauce is lasagna.

Also, I'm weird and prefer Domino's over Pizza Hut. I hear it's because I don't eat sauce, and Domino's sauce is horrid.

As for toppings, if I had unlimited wallet power, I would get:
  • Extra cheese
  • Extra bacon
  • Beef
  • Light pineapple
  • Chicken
  • Mushrooms
  • Olives

You may notice that the list includes neither pepperoni nor vegetables. This is because I don't like pepperoni (though I tolerate Domino's pepperoni), and I'm not into vegetables.

Actually, as for the vegetables, I like all vegetables except peppers (excluding yellow bell peppers). Also, I won't eat anything that is cooked and green except asparagus, spinach, Lima beans, string beans, broccoli, and pepper fragments that are in chili. The rest of the green stuff (peas, spinach, lettuce, etc.) is only good when it's uncooked, except for Brussels sprouts and anything else that is good cooked and green that I may have left out.

I'm not picky at all.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:15 am UTC

i recently discovered anchovies as a pizza topping and fell in love with them, it's a huge shame that it is not a standard topping in many places though,

csssuf

Postby csssuf » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

Generally I'll get just sausage and onions, but there's a wood-fired pizza place where I live that serves this amazing pizza. It's a red sauce with gorgonzola, onions, bacon, rosemary, and a balsamic vinegar glaze and it's fantastic.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:24 am UTC

hyper-thin crust
pesto sauce rather than red sauce
mushrooms, carmalized onion and roasted garlic
Parmesan cheese
bake to crispy

nuff said
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Return to “Food”