Coffee

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Prole

Coffee

Postby Prole » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:15 am UTC

Who likes it?

I know i do.

I work in a coffee shop, got me completely hooked.

Favourite combo is double shot latte with mint.

oh, and even a quote
Paul Erdos wrote:A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.

Nexus_1101

Re: Coffee

Postby Nexus_1101 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:48 pm UTC

I love coffee, but unfortunatly i work in a goverment buildig so all i get is crappy mud water.
HOSTING -> Heroquest
:idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:

Code: Select all

IF (NOTFORUMGAME()) {
    postcount.add(1);
}

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:33 pm UTC

I love coffee.

But I tend to hate fancified drinks.

If a coffee shop doesn't have good, regular, coffee-of-the-day, then it's a sure bet that everything else they serve is going to taste like crap masked with foam and chocolate. Which is why I really don't like Starbucks, since it all tastes like charcoal mixed with chocolate and foam to me.

My personal favorite chain is Saxby's. My favorite independent store is a place in Nashville called Cafe Coco (which has really great specialty drinks, too).

If I'm ordering, I'll get something from Doka Estate:
http://www.dokaestate.com/
Or Coffee Fool:
http://www.coffeefool.com/

Doka Estate is a bit better, but Coffee Fool has a little more variety. KF
~Kaiser

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:59 pm UTC

Nexus_1101 wrote:I love coffee, but unfortunatly i work in a goverment buildig so all i get is crappy mud water.

I remember someone once putting a sticky note over the coffee pots at work (when I worked at the main office) telling people to please, for the love of Optimus Prime, please DO NOT use the Folgers packets, since they made the coffee taste like piss water.

Maxwell House does taste better, but Folgers is the only one that makes the singles coffee bags (like teabags, but with coffee) for a single cup of coffee. I'll probably buy another box before too long. My boss likes the decaf shit. I tried a cup once, and that's exactly what it tasted like. Besides, decaffeinated coffee? You might as well drink coffee-flavored water.

And yes, there is a difference between coffee and coffee-flavored water. Big difference.

Now, how about some fun with coffee?
PRG

An important message for you:

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:53 pm UTC

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

I've found that in a large office situation, it's worth it to buy your own rather than subject yourself to unbearable coffee-like slop. Hell, I wouldn't be able to get to an office precoffee, anyway, so a large travel mug or thermos is de rigueur.

Hint: if you have a thermos to take coffee to the office, preheat the thermos with hot water before you put the coffee in it. It'll keep the coffee hot at least till lunch.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Axman

Postby Axman » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:49 pm UTC

I really like African roasts served strong. Like, 2-3x more coffee than for other coffees. That's how you're supposed to do it. I was pretty hurt, you know, relatively, by the tsunami that hit Sumatra. Brewed coffee is best black, unless it's crap to begin with.

Coffee should be brewed at or under 190 Fahrenheit, and never be warmed afterwards. The ideal serving temperature for coffee is between 160-170.

The best coffee drink has to be a skim cappuccino (and it's compact cousin the macchiato). Mebbe some hazelnut. I, like every red-blooded American, have worked at a cafe, and can no longer stand seeing those molten milkshakes, the latte, that everyone seems to love. By my guestimation, more than one in ten but probably less than one in five people are a little lactose intolerant.

Don't you get it? You have a latte then you blow up the shitter! It's fucked up! Sometimes correlation IS causation!

That and hot, bevvy milkfat tastes gross.

In the kingdom of percolators, the French Press is king.

Buy a burr grinder and don't look back.

Home espresso machines need double-digit bar pressure.

Freeze-dried has come a very long way.

Coffee is open-source.
Max Slowik

MuseSik

Postby MuseSik » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:57 pm UTC

I hope I'm not alone here, but I do not like coffee. I catch a lot of flak from friends about it too.
Even the smell I can't stand at all. I usually wait outside when whoever I'm with stops off at a coffee shop.
Give me a warm green tea any day.

paperbird

Postby paperbird » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:08 pm UTC

MuseSik wrote:I hope I'm not alone here, but I do not like coffee. I catch a lot of flak from friends about it too.
Even the smell I can't stand at all. I usually wait outside when whoever I'm with stops off at a coffee shop.
Give me a warm green tea any day.

I don't like it either :) (but I like the smell)

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:49 am UTC

you know, the question was who LIKES coffee, not who doesnt. if you're going to post jsut to say you hate the stuff at least tell us why.

i like coffee but i am not an aficionado by any means. i put in one thing of cream and two sugar/splendas. if i'm going some place where they fancy it up i like mint and chocolate mostly, but i'll mix it up sometimes.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:58 am UTC

Axman wrote:That and hot, bevvy milkfat tastes gross.
Buy a burr grinder and don't look back.

1) I don't see how anyone can drink the stuff without gagging.
2) Why is a burr grinder so much better than regular/blade? Not challenging that, I just want to know the reason for it.

One thing I'll occasionally do when I brew chocolate is throw in a Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookie. Those things have just the right mix of chocolate and mint to make it taste great. In lieu of that, a square or two of Lindt's "Extreme Mint" (dark chocolate (70%) + mint) will work. KF
~Kaiser

trickster721

Postby trickster721 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:33 am UTC

I usually just put hot chocolate powder in mine. Those expensive little Land o' Lakes packets are amazing - rich and creamy like no natural, healthy food will ever be. None of this one part coffee two parts heavy cream nonsense. Blech. I would still drink it black, but my stomach stopped putting up with that as soon as I wasn't a teenager anymore, and by the time I'm an old man the Maalox will probably be going directly into the coffee.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:14 am UTC

paperbird wrote:I don't like it either :) (but I like the smell)

Find some coffee that tastes like it smells. It does exist, but you won't find it at Starbucks.

Kizyr wrote:Why is a burr grinder so much better than regular/blade? Not challenging that, I just want to know the reason for it.

The theory is that a burr grinder gives you a more even grind than a blade. This way you get less coffee that's either under- or over-extracted. I don't know how much of a difference this makes for a regular cup of drip coffee, though -- I'm happy with my blade-ground, cheap-Mr-Coffee-machined stuff.

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:26 am UTC

Nath wrote:
Kizyr wrote:Why is a burr grinder so much better than regular/blade? Not challenging that, I just want to know the reason for it.

The theory is that a burr grinder gives you a more even grind than a blade. This way you get less coffee that's either under- or over-extracted. I don't know how much of a difference this makes for a regular cup of drip coffee, though -- I'm happy with my blade-ground, cheap-Mr-Coffee-machined stuff.

Additionally, the blades heat and scald the dust and smaller bits of coffee, and make it taste metallic on top of the added acidity. But the resulting powdered coffee in the normal grind is far more offensive, and will quickly clog an espresso filter, and get past a French press' filter, muddying the brew.

One more tip: never use coffee equipment (besides the kettle) with tea and vice-versa. The punishment is that Russian hackers will change your wallpaper and your home page to goatse.
Max Slowik

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:28 am UTC

I don't really like coffee. In fact, I hate it. It tastes way to bitter for me, and I can't stand the smell. I sometimes have a sip to see if I like it, but I never do. Even when really sweetened with sugar, it still tastes horrible.

Although I do like sucking the valves on the front of the packets. It gives me a nice burny sensation in my throat.

And I can't drink tea either. It tastes ok, some of it, but my iron levels are low, and the tannic acid or something interferes with me.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:49 am UTC

I don't drink coffee to speak of, although I enjoy the odor. However, my husband lives on the stuff, and I learned to make coffee just to please him. (insert collective "awwwww!")

He has a roaster, and buys his beans green, roasts them himself, lets them degas about 30 minutes max (I think CW says overnight, but oh well), uses filtered water and a French press. Sugar, cream, etc are sacrilege, although he will drink a mocha once every decade or so. I read Kizyr's Starbucks commentary to him and he said he was in perfect agreement.

But burr grinder, you say? Is this a possibility for a holiday gift for him? If so, I'm a happy girl.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:40 am UTC

pollywog wrote:And I can't drink tea either. It tastes ok, some of it, but my iron levels are low, and the tannic acid or something interferes with me.

There're plenty of different varieties of tea, although most of the non-herbal kind will contain some level of tannin. You might like green/white teas, and herbal teas (rooibos is my favorite; I've probably mentioned it more than a few times before), since those typically contain none, depending on the variety.

Although, not all tastes are for everyone. So I wouldn't fault people for genuinely not liking coffee or tea.

Axman wrote:One more tip: never use coffee equipment (besides the kettle) with tea and vice-versa. The punishment is that Russian hackers will change your wallpaper and your home page to goatse.

No raptor attacks?

I think I know what I'll be getting myself for Christmas now.

Aviatrix wrote:I don't drink coffee to speak of, although I enjoy the odor. However, my husband lives on the stuff, and I learned to make coffee just to please him. (insert collective "awwwww!")

AWWWW!!!

Aviatrix wrote:He has a roaster, and buys his beans green, roasts them himself, lets them degas about 30 minutes max (I think CW says overnight, but oh well), uses filtered water and a French press. Sugar, cream, etc are sacrilege, although he will drink a mocha once every decade or so. I read Kizyr's Starbucks commentary to him and he said he was in perfect agreement.

Yes that's... a bit excessive. I'm happy just grinding the beans myself; roasting and all that is way too much work. Although, I can understand why--I'm particular about having good tea much the same way. KF
Last edited by Kizyr on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~Kaiser

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:43 am UTC

Usually I'll drink Maxwell House with some non-dairy creamer out of my Aeropress.

If you haven't heard of it, it's a simple coffee machine (coffee simple machine?) that uses air pressure and a mixture of water and coffee to evenly extract the flavor from the grounds, so that you don't get the thing with the drip makers where it's overextracted in the middle and underextracted towards the edges.

Here's where I got mine, if you're interested: ThinkGeek.

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:57 am UTC

A French Press. Believe it or not, you don't even need electricity to operate it. It can be programed, although I have to admit that I usually need a cup to make a cup.

Actually, you don't even need a filter to make a good cup of coffee. All you need is a little patience (or ice).

Mix coffee and just-barely-no-longer-boiling water in a tall, narrow vessel, stirring briskly for a few seconds.

When the coffee is almost done steeping (3-6 minutes, usually, but you get used to looking and knowing) break the floating grounds puck with a spoon or chopstick or...rectal thermometer.

Add 1/5th again cold water or a little less ice. Let sit another couple of minutes. Pour the transparent coffee off the top into another cup, slowly, so as to not disturb the sediment.

Taa-daa, coffee without a filter.

What, like the cowboys used a Mr. Coffee?
Max Slowik

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:22 am UTC

That's a French press? It looks exactly like the thing my dad uses to make tea. Huh.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:54 pm UTC

Axman wrote:One more tip: never use coffee equipment (besides the kettle) with tea and vice-versa. The punishment is that Russian hackers will change your wallpaper and your home page to goatse.

..."change"?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

TomBot

Postby TomBot » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:11 pm UTC

So I was reading The Cryptonomicon, and they mentioned in passing making coffee with no special equipment except an egg. After further research, the method for "egg drop coffee" seems to be:

1. Boil the correct amount of water for 2-6 cups
  2. Measure out the right amount of ground coffee
  3. Smash an egg into the coffee, shell and all, mix completely, add water if necessary so that it's kind of a sludge.
  4. When the water's boiling, drop the coffee in.
  5. The egg/coffee mixture should settle, then just pour the coffee off the top.

I haven't had the courage to try this, it seems kinda disgusting. Does it work?

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:32 pm UTC

TomBot wrote:I haven't had the courage to try this, it seems kinda disgusting. Does it work?

...I got something to try this weekend, then.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

If I gag as a result, I'll be sure to mail you a packet of the offending egg-coffee mixture so you can try for yourself. KF
~Kaiser

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:08 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:..."change"?

<speechless />
Max Slowik

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:10 pm UTC

TomBot wrote:So I was reading The Cryptonomicon, and they mentioned in passing making coffee with no special equipment except an egg. After further research, the method for "egg drop coffee" seems to be:

1. Boil the correct amount of water for 2-6 cups
  2. Measure out the right amount of ground coffee
  3. Smash an egg into the coffee, shell and all, mix completely, add water if necessary so that it's kind of a sludge.
  4. When the water's boiling, drop the coffee in.
  5. The egg/coffee mixture should settle, then just pour the coffee off the top.

I haven't had the courage to try this, it seems kinda disgusting. Does it work?

That sounds utterly horrifying. D: Though, I know that back in the covered wagon days they used to use eggshells to settle the coffee grounds before serving it. Maybe this is related to that method?
You don't make them touch!

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:36 pm UTC

I'm not sure where else to put this, but seeing as I don't drink coffee...I had the most amazing hot chocolate with COCONUT today, it was like a liquid Bounty, it was DIVINE.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

jynjin
Pretty swell. Nifty even!

Postby jynjin » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:11 pm UTC

As I sit here sipping my second cup of nuked day-old coffee, I realize I am no coffee snob. Addict, yes. As long as it doesn't have artificial cream or sweetener, or tinted water, I will drink it gladly. Lowest admitted standards aside, I do enjoy a good Turkish coffee.

Ended

Postby Ended » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:45 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:I'm not sure where else to put this, but seeing as I don't drink coffee...I had the most amazing hot chocolate with COCONUT today, it was like a liquid Bounty, it was DIVINE.

I had a hot chocolate with Amaretto randomly today. Oh me yarm NICENESS (although slightly too sweet).

As far as coffee goes I like a cup in the morning, more than that is too much for me, unless I need to work overnight for a deadline or something. Probably the nicest coffee I've ever had was some Kenyan Gethumbwini AA my friend bought me for my birthday. Mmmm.

One thing that annoys me about a lot of pre-ground coffee is that often the packets it comes in are too big, so after a couple of weeks I'm left with half a packet of stale coffee. But on the other hand, I'm too lazy to buy a grinder. :?
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:01 pm UTC

It keeps longer in the freezer, no?
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Ended

Postby Ended » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

Yeah, but sadly I'm a lowly student without a freezer (or a microwave :( ). I usually keep it in the fridge, but occasionally someone will put in half a raw onion uncovered or something and totally stink everything out.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:12 pm UTC

I like coffee, especially done-up with extra flavourings, cream and whatnot, but have it rarely. Thus far I have not experienced true caffeine madness.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:05 am UTC

wtf people? hot chocolate? tea? COFFEE

marge simpson: "Coffee!"
austrialian bartender: "Beer?"
marge: "COF-FEE! c-o..."
bartender: "b-e..."

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:42 am UTC

Ended wrote:Yeah, but sadly I'm a lowly student without a freezer (or a microwave :( ). I usually keep it in the fridge, but occasionally someone will put in half a raw onion uncovered or something and totally stink everything out.
I made a tidy side income while in college holding Tupperware parties in the dorms. Stuff's great for isolating your coffee from the onions. For some reason, they wanted a so-called real Tupperware lady along, and every so often a potential student-customer would pick up a sample 'ware and exclaim, "This is JUST the right size for my stash!" and the Tupperware lady would look at me with a little confusion and I'd say, "Coffee" and she'd smile and nod approvingly.

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:01 am UTC

Ended wrote:Yeah, but sadly I'm a lowly student without a freezer (or a microwave :( ). I usually keep it in the fridge, but occasionally someone will put in half a raw onion uncovered or something and totally stink everything out.

That's the problem. Freezing and refrigerating are supposed to be bad for coffee. Just put it in a reasonably airtight box, somewhere dry.

Axman

Postby Axman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:37 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:It keeps longer in the freezer, no?

Noooooo!11

Freezers dehydrate stuff, and all the tastegens and flavorides get sucked out. Yes, cool, dry place out of the light.
Max Slowik

o0o0xmods0o0o

Postby o0o0xmods0o0o » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:57 am UTC

I like cappuccino, and occasionally a mocha. If I am desperate for caffeine, I will drink straight espresso but it's really not my first choice.

Ended

Postby Ended » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:02 am UTC

Aviatrix wrote:Tupperware
Nath wrote:Just put it in a reasonably airtight box, somewhere dry.
Axman wrote:cool, dry place out of the light.

Ah, thanks for the tips people. *Tupperwareifies*
-dubsola

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:32 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:I'm not sure where else to put this, but seeing as I don't drink coffee...I had the most amazing hot chocolate with COCONUT today, it was like a liquid Bounty, it was DIVINE.

Just wanted to mention I read that as "it was like a liquid Bunny, it was DIVINE."
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Prole

Postby Prole » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Valrhona hot chocolate is liquid gold.

I dont normally like mocha - its like kiddy coffee.

But i do with that stuff.

jynjin
Pretty swell. Nifty even!

Postby jynjin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:19 pm UTC

For flavoured cream fans out there, do try the seasonal peppermint mocha that is out in the grocers. I just picked some up, and it was surprisingly lovely.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:17 pm UTC

jynjin wrote:For flavoured cream fans out there, do try the seasonal peppermint mocha that is out in the grocers. I just picked some up, and it was surprisingly lovely.

Side note: the Starbucks peppermint mocha latte that comes in the glass bottles is heavenly.

Return to “Food”