Coffee

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Vellyr
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:57 pm UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby Vellyr » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:42 pm UTC

The only thing I ever order is a vanilla latte with whipped cream, not the manliest of drinks, but I like it.

User avatar
xenuphobia
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:34 am UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby xenuphobia » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

Actually, I was thinking of the Frappuccino, however that's spelled, the one you can get in gas stations and convenience stores. I really don't go into Starbucks anymore. Most of them are ok but the peppermint mocha is like an orgasm in your mouth (in a good way).
Image

User avatar
Kizyr
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:16 am UTC
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Coffee

Postby Kizyr » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:02 pm UTC

xenuphobia wrote:
jynjin wrote:For flavoured cream fans out there, do try the seasonal peppermint mocha that is out in the grocers. I just picked some up, and it was surprisingly lovely.

Side note: the Starbucks peppermint mocha latte that comes in the glass bottles is heavenly.

I tried the glass-bottle Starbucks stuff before. It was so awful that I had to buy something else just to wash the taste out. It had that taste of burnt coffee plus milk halfway to spoiled. I did try it more than once, from different places, and different flavors, since the inevitable question of "I wonder if that happens every time?" came up. And, same results. KF
~Kaiser
Image

User avatar
o0o0xmods0o0o
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:26 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Fl, USA
Contact:

Re: Coffee

Postby o0o0xmods0o0o » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:55 am UTC

Kizyr wrote:
xenuphobia wrote:
jynjin wrote:For flavoured cream fans out there, do try the seasonal peppermint mocha that is out in the grocers. I just picked some up, and it was surprisingly lovely.

Side note: the Starbucks peppermint mocha latte that comes in the glass bottles is heavenly.

I tried the glass-bottle Starbucks stuff before. It was so awful that I had to buy something else just to wash the taste out. It had that taste of burnt coffee plus milk halfway to spoiled. I did try it more than once, from different places, and different flavors, since the inevitable question of "I wonder if that happens every time?" came up. And, same results. KF

I hate the stuff! It is way too sweet. And it leaves a terrible aftertaste, blech!
Image

User avatar
xenuphobia
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:34 am UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby xenuphobia » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:06 am UTC

Yeah, that's true... but when I'm too lazy to make myself coffee and I just end up at a convenience store sometimes I end up with one. That peppermint mocha was just so good, though... maybe my taste buds run a little sweeter, I dunno.
Image

User avatar
oOTeriyakiOo_x
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:23 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Coffee

Postby oOTeriyakiOo_x » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:39 pm UTC

[sub/]Canada, has Tim Hortons. I'm convinced they put drugs into the coffee. It's good though. ._.[/sub]
Hello, my dear. Kill me, gently. A burned body, doesn't leave you.
~Burial Applicant.{The GazettE}

User avatar
o0o0xmods0o0o
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:26 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Fl, USA
Contact:

Re: Coffee

Postby o0o0xmods0o0o » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:49 pm UTC

xenuphobia wrote:Yeah, that's true... but when I'm too lazy to make myself coffee and I just end up at a convenience store sometimes I end up with one. That peppermint mocha was just so good, though... maybe my taste buds run a little sweeter, I dunno.

I love the peppermint mochas in the store, but I have never seen them in a bottle. I must try. :twisted:
Image

User avatar
Kizyr
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:16 am UTC
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Coffee

Postby Kizyr » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:31 pm UTC

TomBot wrote:So I was reading The Cryptonomicon, and they mentioned in passing making coffee with no special equipment except an egg. After further research, the method for "egg drop coffee" seems to be:
...
I haven't had the courage to try this, it seems kinda disgusting. Does it work?

Results! It actually tastes pretty good! It seems like it's a bit smoother and less acidic than normally brewing coffee. I'm not noticing a huge difference, but it works out pretty well. Oh, and there's no egg taste in the coffee.

So here's what I did... I checked some other recipes and found this is also referred to as Swedish / Norwegian / Scandinavian Egg Coffee. Here's the basic method I used:

1) Heat water to almost-boiling

2) Meanwhile, mix ground coffee and egg (whites, yolk, and crushed eggshell). You'll start to notice it solidifying like dough as soon as you mix it together.
That turns it from this:
Image to Image

3) Add a bit of water to the egg-coffee-mix (makes it easier to pour), then pour it into the hot water. Continue to heat and stir gradually. Eventually it'll come to a rolling boil.
It'll kind of go from this:
Image to Image

4) When it gets to a rolling boil, turn off the heat, and add maybe a cup or less of cold water. Let it settle for about 10 minutes, then pour slowly into a mug. You can use a filter if you want, but if it's settled right, then the coffee should clump at the bottom while you pour.

Other folks should try this out and see if they like it. I get a feeling that a french press will still be better, however. KF
~Kaiser

Image

User avatar
Nath
Posts: 3147
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby Nath » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:10 pm UTC

Cool. I'm not going to try it, though, given that you can brew coffee in a saucepan without an egg.

Kizyr wrote:Results! It actually tastes pretty good! It seems like it's a bit smoother and less acidic than normally brewing coffee. I'm not noticing a huge difference, but it works out pretty well. Oh, and there's no egg taste in the coffee.

Why does everybody seem to dislike acidic coffee? I kind of like it a bit acidic. I don't really know what 'smoothness' is, though.

User avatar
Kizyr
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:16 am UTC
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Coffee

Postby Kizyr » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:01 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Why does everybody seem to dislike acidic coffee? I kind of like it a bit acidic. I don't really know what 'smoothness' is, though.

I never said I didn't like acidity, only that brewing it this way seems to remove some of it. I usually prefer mild acidity nonetheless. Also, 'smooth' is about the best way of describing the flavor/texture that I can think of, compared to normal drip coffee. I'm no expert or food critic, so that's about the best I can do describing it.

According to the same sites I checked for recipes, it's the eggshells that affect the acidity, hence the rationale for leaving them in. I suppose if you toss the shell then it might come out roughly the same. KF
~Kaiser

Image

Yliatas
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:10 pm UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby Yliatas » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:43 pm UTC

I actually prefer tea because I don't put sugar in my tea, but coffee is still lovely. I drink a lot of those bottled mocha stuff Starbucks sell (especially before an AP Biology test).

Girl™
This is what I think of you.
Posts: 1240
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:23 am UTC
Location: In ur base, et cetera, et cetera.

Re: Coffee

Postby Girl™ » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:30 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:
TomBot wrote:So I was reading The Cryptonomicon, and they mentioned in passing making coffee with no special equipment except an egg. After further research, the method for "egg drop coffee" seems to be:
...
I haven't had the courage to try this, it seems kinda disgusting. Does it work?

Results! It actually tastes pretty good! It seems like it's a bit smoother and less acidic than normally brewing coffee. I'm not noticing a huge difference, but it works out pretty well. Oh, and there's no egg taste in the coffee.


Wow, I would not have expected that at all; I was having nightmare visions of boiled-egg-flavored coffee. Awesome!
You don't make them touch!

User avatar
PatrickRsGhost
Posts: 2278
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 5:43 pm UTC
Location: ZZ9PluralZAlpha
Contact:

Re: Coffee

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:10 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Why does everybody seem to dislike acidic coffee? I kind of like it a bit acidic. I don't really know what 'smoothness' is, though.


Some people are highly sensitive to the acidic content in caffeinated drinks like coffee or soft drinks. It can really play hell for you if you have an ulcer or some other similar problem. I had a friend who couldn't drink Pepsi because it affected his ulcer. He could drink Coke with no problem, but I think there might be a higher acidic content in Pepsi products. Some people have actually gotten heartburn or indigestion/acid reflux from drinking coffee or sodas.

The "smoothness" I think refers to the flavor. Some coffees have a strong, bitter flavor. It depends solely on the bean and how it is processed. I think it has to do with how fine or coarse the bean is ground.
PRG

An important message for you:

010000100110010100100000011100110
111010101110010011001010010000001
110100011011110010000001100101011
000010111010000100000011110010110
111101110101011100100010000001100
010011000010110001101101111011011
1000101110

User avatar
Axman
Posts: 2124
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:51 pm UTC
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Coffee

Postby Axman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:19 pm UTC

http://www.cda-adc.ca/jcda/vol-66/issue-8/421.html

the pH of Pepsi was 2.45 ± 0.02 and the pH of Coca Cola was 2.49 ± 0.02

That surprised me, since I always thought Coke was more acidic. It must be the small bubbles vs. larger ones, and I'm particularly sensitive to the lemon flavor of Coke (I like Pepsi's orange a little more). But they're both pretty damn acidic, and I doubt that -.04 pH more will irritate and ulcer while the "lesser" doesn't. Must be some other constant/ingredient.

For the record, most coffee isn't anywhere near as acidic as cola, hanging around pH 6-5, and particularly acidic stuff, like Sumatra, between 5 and 4.5. Espresso is way less acidic, more like 6.5.
Max Slowik

User avatar
Nath
Posts: 3147
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby Nath » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:34 am UTC

Axman wrote:http://www.cda-adc.ca/jcda/vol-66/issue-8/421.html

the pH of Pepsi was 2.45 ± 0.02 and the pH of Coca Cola was 2.49 ± 0.02

That surprised me, since I always thought Coke was more acidic. It must be the small bubbles vs. larger ones, and I'm particularly sensitive to the lemon flavor of Coke (I like Pepsi's orange a little more). But they're both pretty damn acidic, and I doubt that -.04 pH more will irritate and ulcer while the "lesser" doesn't. Must be some other constant/ingredient.

For the record, most coffee isn't anywhere near as acidic as cola, hanging around pH 6-5, and particularly acidic stuff, like Sumatra, between 5 and 4.5. Espresso is way less acidic, more like 6.5.

Thanks, that's quite informative. Are you sure you meant 'Sumatra', though? Most of the Sumatra I've had was not very acidic, and a bit of Google-jutsu seems to reveal that I'm not in the minority.

User avatar
sunkistbabe1
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:03 pm UTC
Location: Shuswap, BC, Canada

Re: Coffee

Postby sunkistbabe1 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:39 am UTC

coffee coffee coffee...

only thing keeps me sane on monday mornings. ;)

I work in a software company, and It was an ugly sight when the cheapo coffee maker broke a couple weeks ago. I dug out the old POS diner-style honkin metal one to clean out (took me an hour). We used to use it but stopped at one point. Needless to say it made horrible coffee and I wasted an hour. So I drove to the Tim hortons and brought back 6 xl coffees. One of the staff finally broke down and went out and bought a new pot herself for the company. I am fairly sure she got reimbursed.

Oh ya, and we have one of those French presses. Hubby bought it in a Tea store in Vancouver. I would use it in the mornings if I just wanted to make coffee for me. Pretty handy.
- Sunkist -

Girl™
This is what I think of you.
Posts: 1240
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:23 am UTC
Location: In ur base, et cetera, et cetera.

Re: Coffee

Postby Girl™ » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:48 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:
Nath wrote:Why does everybody seem to dislike acidic coffee? I kind of like it a bit acidic. I don't really know what 'smoothness' is, though.


The "smoothness" I think refers to the flavor. Some coffees have a strong, bitter flavor. It depends solely on the bean and how it is processed. I think it has to do with how fine or coarse the bean is ground.


I don't think the grind has much to do with it. I always heard that the makeup of the soil where the beans were grown and the roast were the key factors.
You don't make them touch!

User avatar
the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!
Posts: 2199
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:40 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Coffee

Postby the Cow » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:21 pm UTC

I am very fond of coffee. Black. Strong. Plain. The plainer the better.
...the whim of a hat.

TemperedMartensite
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:32 am UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby TemperedMartensite » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:01 am UTC

Large Dark Black Please. If I could stop those words coming out of my mouth, I would be a good 2 bucks richer every day.

Also Peets makes the very best coffee I have ever tasted. We have been ordering from them for 10 years and drinking it even longer. :D

Yliatas
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:10 pm UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby Yliatas » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:54 am UTC

So I tried that Peppermint Mocha people were talking about earlier. Although I was hesitant at first, I must say, it is now my favorite drink to order. <3

User avatar
Aleril
Le Rail
Posts: 2279
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:06 pm UTC
Location: Don't make me slap you.

Re: Coffee

Postby Aleril » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

I could never really stand coffee, not much pep for a bad tasting drink.

Ill take a red bull though.
Image

User avatar
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.
Posts: 5386
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby mosc » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:52 pm UTC

xenuphobia wrote:Usually I'll drink Maxwell House with some non-dairy creamer out of my Aeropress.

If you haven't heard of it, it's a simple coffee machine (coffee simple machine?) that uses air pressure and a mixture of water and coffee to evenly extract the flavor from the grounds, so that you don't get the thing with the drip makers where it's overextracted in the middle and underextracted towards the edges.

Here's where I got mine, if you're interested: ThinkGeek.


I would like to point out that this little baby makes the best coffee you've ever tasted with the most control over temperature and is fairly quick as well. Also, it makes expresso. It is far better than a french press because it uses a filter where a french press does not. Essentially, it is a french press WITH a filter.

I am a gourmet it's true and can taste the difference between Columbian and Venezuelan if you'll give me a bean of each with surprising accuracy but I'm telling you, that little $30 piece of plastic is the best coffee maker money can buy.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

User avatar
Nath
Posts: 3147
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby Nath » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:39 am UTC

mosc wrote:I would like to point out that this little baby makes the best coffee you've ever tasted with the most control over temperature and is fairly quick as well. Also, it makes expresso. It is far better than a french press because it uses a filter where a french press does not. Essentially, it is a french press WITH a filter.

Some people like the French press because it doesn't use a filter. True, it leaves a bit of powder at the bottom of the cup, but the filters do change the flavour a bit.

Also, in what sense does the Aeropress make espresso?

User avatar
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.
Posts: 5386
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby mosc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:02 am UTC

it essentially doesn't make coffee, it makes espresso. To make coffee with it, you poor water in your espresso.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

User avatar
Nath
Posts: 3147
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby Nath » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:23 am UTC

mosc wrote:it essentially doesn't make coffee, it makes espresso. To make coffee with it, you poor water in your espresso.

I am confused. Isn't espresso just coffee brewed under several atmospheres of pressure? The video of the Aeropress being operated shows it being brewed in one atmosphere. Or do you mean the coffee that the Aeropress produces is about as strong as espresso?

User avatar
Axman
Posts: 2124
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:51 pm UTC
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Coffee

Postby Axman » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:41 pm UTC

Meh, paper filters add taste to coffee. Metal filters don't, even if they let a little grit through. My suggestion:

Don't drink the stuff at the bottom of the mug. It looks like chocolate, but come on, you're an adult, you know better. Remember that time when you were hospitalized after drinking that cocoa-looking used motor oil? Oh, yeah, you wouldn't, that's right.
Max Slowik

Aesar
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:23 pm UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby Aesar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:09 pm UTC

Is anyone here familiar with senseo (wiki)? It's not the best coffe I've ever had, but it's so easy and fast to make! Different flavours are possible
Here be pirates!

User avatar
rrwoods
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:57 pm UTC
Location: US

Re: Coffee

Postby rrwoods » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:34 pm UTC

xenuphobia wrote:orgasm in your mouth
How freaky that I have this exact same thought about most of Starbucks' peppermint mocha drinks.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

User avatar
Quadropus
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby Quadropus » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:01 am UTC

Ah coffee, if I went cold turkey I would probably melt, I am definitely addicted.
I have literally stayed awake for days drinking coffee and barely eating. Was very weird at the time, my parents though I was going crazy as I would just sit in my room drinking coffee. I also became very jumpy and agitated after 1 night of no sleep...

I also used it a lot during my 30 hour day experiments. Just so I got used to the extended periods of being awake. But seriously, after a week and a half (normal time) of living like that really took its toll on me. It took me another few days to get fully back to 'normal'.

But, yes. I love coffee. We have been through a lot together...

Forgot to add; I almost always make my coffee using fresh beans. Sometimes I grind them myself, other times I just use the pre-ground ones. As long as it isn't instant coffee [piss-water] it'll suit me.
Image

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

recurve boy
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:48 am UTC
Location: Sydney Australia
Contact:

Re: Coffee

Postby recurve boy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:37 pm UTC

Girl™ wrote:I don't think the grind has much to do with it. I always heard that the makeup of the soil where the beans were grown and the roast were the key factors.


Actually grind has a lot to do with it.
The basic process for espresso is: grind coffee into your porta-filter, knock it back (although chambered machines may impart enough force to loosen the grinds), tamp, lock in your handle, pull your shot.

The big factors when pulling shots are:
- Freshness. You want to actually let your beans rest for a few days. Too fresh and you get a bubble crema.
- Grind. Too fine and you may extract too much. Too course and you extract too little. Typically the sour notes get extracted first, so too course usually means sour coffee.
- Dosing. You want the exact same amount of coffee in your basket each time. Too much and you restrict the flow of water too much thus over extracting. Too little and your water is not restricted enough.
- Tamping. You want to evenly tamp the coffee. If it is uneven, some parts will extract faster/slower than others. Too hard restricts the water, too soft and you don't restrict enough.
- Extraction time. Typically the flavours you want will be in the cup after 30sec for a double shot.
- Water temperature. You want it between 95-98 degrees Celcius

You'll note all that stuff is what the person on the machine has to factor in. So pulling good shots consistently is a real skill.

There are other factors as well.
- Age of beans. The flavour develops and changes over time. The same bean can produce a different cup 2 days after roasting, to 5 days after roasting. Also, too old, and it just tastes shit.
- Air temperature, humidity.
- Extraction pressure. The standard is 9 bar. But you can engineer around this. My machine is at 13 bar.
- How much metal the coffee touches on the way down. Typically you have a spout. But you can get a bottomless filter. That is, there are no spouts on the bottom. The change in taste is like the difference in fresh coke and flat coke.
- Roast.
I'm sure I missed a few things.

Things also happen in the cup. As the coffee cools, the sour notes tend to become more apparent. I had a Kenyan AA once, right after extraction it had a grassy flavour. Just a touch acidic and not bitter. Let it cool a little while and the acidic notes come out and it tastes like black current! Of course, at the end of the day rules are meant to be broken and personal preference comes into play.

I am a gourmet it's true and can taste the difference between Columbian and Venezuelan if you'll give me a bean of each with surprising accuracy but I'm telling you, that little $30 piece of plastic is the best coffee maker money can buy.


Hah. While the device itself may produce a fine cup of coffee, all the advertising hype on their webpage is pretty much just crap. It's just a different take on a plunger. It's still at the mercy of all the coffee making variables. It also does not make espresso. An espresso is not simply 30 ml of coffee.

User avatar
Axman
Posts: 2124
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:51 pm UTC
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Coffee

Postby Axman » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:11 pm UTC

Quadropus wrote:The big factors when pulling shots are:
- Freshness. You want to actually let your beans rest for a few days. Too fresh and you get a bubble crema.

This is also a sign that your water temperature is too high, and that your pressure is a little off. Since most machines don't have adjustable pressure (and pressure is relative to humidity, ambient pressure, etc.) the easiest thing to do here is lower the temp. If your machine doesn't have adjustable temp, run it for a couple of seconds before pulling a shot.
- Grind. Too fine and you may extract too much. Too course and you extract too little. Typically the sour notes get extracted first, so too course usually means sour coffee.

Fine as possible so long as you're not clogging your filters. If it seems like you're extracting too much, up the pressure and reduce the pull time. Also, American "espresso roasts" are really dark. We're different like that, (something Starbuck's is notorious for) but I like a medium or light Columbian-style roast for espresso. "Sour" comes from the darkness of the roast more than anything else. I have to disagree with "rested" grinds; it really tastes better to me ground fresh; I just don't heat the fuck out of the pull.
- Extraction time. Typically the flavours you want will be in the cup after 30sec for a double shot.

But after 30s, you're cooking the grind pretty hot, and personally, I think it gets bitter. I, however, like bitter for Americanos, so I pack it tight and run it long for those.
- Water temperature. You want it between 95-98 degrees Celcius

Again, depends on pressure and humidity; I think that's ridiculously hot, too. There's no way you can drink that, and by the time it cools, it will have sat too long to stay sweet. 80 degrees C/ 175F is more palatable. Of course, that's espresso temp and not water temp, and the machine, grind, air pressure and all that jazz are variables that affect the drink temperature relative to the water temperature.
Max Slowik

recurve boy
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:48 am UTC
Location: Sydney Australia
Contact:

Re: Coffee

Postby recurve boy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:58 pm UTC

Axman wrote:Fine as possible so long as you're not clogging your filters. If it seems like you're extracting too much, up the pressure and reduce the pull time. Also, American "espresso roasts" are really dark. We're different like that, (something Starbuck's is notorious for) but I like a medium or light Columbian-style roast for espresso. "Sour" comes from the darkness of the roast more than anything else. I have to disagree with "rested" grinds; it really tastes better to me ground fresh; I just don't heat the fuck out of the pull.

No, no. The beans must be rested for a couple days after roasting. Not the grinds. You always grind on demand.

The rest of Axman's comment makes me think he is using a manual machine. Something you really want to avoid unless you have the time and money to learn to use them properly. If you are really after getting great coffee, skip them. Hardly anybody uses them. The most common machines are semi-autos. They have factory set thermostats and OPVs. And there is usually no reason to mess with these. So typically, you want to adjust the grind until you are within the accepted parameters. But rules can be broken. There is one cafe in Sydney (Mecca, near the Red Cross blood donation place in the CBD) where the guys dial in their grind by taste. (Aside: It's so easy to get good coffee in Sydney, yet places like Starbucks are always packed).

Again, depends on pressure and humidity; I think that's ridiculously hot, too. There's no way you can drink that, and by the time it cools, it will have sat too long to stay sweet. 80 degrees C/ 175F is more palatable. Of course, that's espresso temp and not water temp, and the machine, grind, air pressure and all that jazz are variables that affect the drink temperature relative to the water temperature.


I don't know anybody who talks drink temp. Of course as the water flows through your puck and into the glass, it will be drinkable.

Ended
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:27 pm UTC
Location: The Tower of Flints. (Also known as: England.)

Re: Coffee

Postby Ended » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:53 pm UTC

W00t, I just bought a set of these from Ikea, pretty handy for storing ground coffee in (and cheap!).
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

User avatar
microwaved
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:17 am UTC
Location: NE OH

Re: Coffee

Postby microwaved » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:48 pm UTC

I personally love coffee, drinking maybe 35-40 ounces of the swill we have at work every day. Though I rarely drink it, or any other caffeinated beverage, on the weekends, I find I never get coffee headaches. I find this terribly odd, because my mom gets headaches each morning if she doesn't get her coffee. Anyone here have problems with headaches if you don't get your coffee? (maybe this question would belong in a new thread)

Also, I only really like my coffee black, especially if I have some kind of rich tasting dessert with it. I just never really got into the fancy stuff, which has definitely helped my wallet. I find, though, that most any coffee shop that sells the fancy stuff, such as starbucks, usually has terrible regular coffee. I think this is because their regular coffee is rarely ordered and just ends up sitting on the burner for way too long ruining the taste.

User avatar
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.
Posts: 5386
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby mosc » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

Nath wrote:
mosc wrote:it essentially doesn't make coffee, it makes espresso. To make coffee with it, you poor water in your espresso.

I am confused. Isn't espresso just coffee brewed under several atmospheres of pressure? The video of the Aeropress being operated shows it being brewed in one atmosphere. Or do you mean the coffee that the Aeropress produces is about as strong as espresso?

no, that's incorrect. It is under a great deal of pressure as you push on it. It "brews" as it is being filtered. It is one process. It essentially makes espresso. Similar to a french press except it uses a filter.

Axman wrote:Meh, paper filters add taste to coffee. Metal filters don't, even if they let a little grit through.

Filters don't add taste, they remove the oil. Unfiltered coffee (french press) has a bitter and unhealthy oil that is both quite flavorful and quite bad for you. It also stains your teeth. I personally like the filter because it removes that bitter oil from the coffee and leaves only the smoother taste of the beans themselves.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

User avatar
nerdygirlfriday
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:15 pm UTC
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Coffee

Postby nerdygirlfriday » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:28 am UTC

My college roommate was addicted to the java, and was quite displeased that I was adverse. Thus, she started researching different styles from around the world and to this day the only style I can drink is her version of Turkish coffee where she uses cinnamon instead of cardamom in the spice blend. It's heaven, and I'm a bit miffed that nothing else seems to be as good.

I mean, really, to live in Seattle and not like coffee? Though I am apparently quite good at making it, if my boss is to be believed.
Organization, Sarcasm, Blasphemy...these are my tools.

recurve boy
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:48 am UTC
Location: Sydney Australia
Contact:

Re: Coffee

Postby recurve boy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Filters don't add taste, they remove the oil. Unfiltered coffee (french press) has a bitter and unhealthy oil that is both quite flavorful and quite bad for you. It also stains your teeth. I personally like the filter because it removes that bitter oil from the coffee and leaves only the smoother taste of the beans themselves.


I'll agree that the oil produced by french press is unhealthy. But if your coffee is always bitter, you are doing it wrong. There are some blends that are intentionally bitter, and beans that may be bitter. But with the correct bean, roast, and technique you can get a non-bitter coffee every time.

My college roommate was addicted to the java, and was quite displeased that I was adverse. Thus, she started researching different styles from around the world and to this day the only style I can drink is her version of Turkish coffee where she uses cinnamon instead of cardamom in the spice blend. It's heaven, and I'm a bit miffed that nothing else seems to be as good.


Wow, really? During my increasing addiction to coffee I found that this was the one style I cannot bring myself to drink. Maybe you need to find the correct beans. There is a place in Sydney called Single Origin that does a Yirgacheffe at a slightly lighter roast. It tastes of oranges and has a sort of floral (jasmine?) aroma/after taste.

User avatar
Axman
Posts: 2124
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:51 pm UTC
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Coffee

Postby Axman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:45 am UTC

What's this deal about coffee oil being unhealthful? (Paper adds a taste, and the filter doesn't suck it all, or even mostly up. If there isn't oil on your coffee, your beans have been sitting around waaaaay too long.) I've never heard that coffee fat is bad fat.

Also, I smoke while I drink coffee, so "unhealthy" is a seriously high bar. But not so high that I drink my coffee out of low-fire ceramics, stirring it with a pewter spoon, while snorting mercury off the nipples of a prostitute, mind you.

I mean, think about it, you can't drink and snort simultaneously!
Max Slowik

User avatar
nerdygirlfriday
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:15 pm UTC
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Coffee

Postby nerdygirlfriday » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:01 am UTC

recurve boy wrote:Wow, really? During my increasing addiction to coffee I found that this was the one style I cannot bring myself to drink. Maybe you need to find the correct beans. There is a place in Sydney called Single Origin that does a Yirgacheffe at a slightly lighter roast. It tastes of oranges and has a sort of floral (jasmine?) aroma/after taste.


Different beans have been helpful, as well as pulling a short shot to minimize the acidity of the coffee. It helps to have a former barista as a current employee. :D
Organization, Sarcasm, Blasphemy...these are my tools.

User avatar
Nath
Posts: 3147
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: Coffee

Postby Nath » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

mosc wrote:no, that's incorrect. It is under a great deal of pressure as you push on it. It "brews" as it is being filtered. It is one process. It essentially makes espresso. Similar to a french press except it uses a filter.

Yeah, I think I'll have to disagree with this. I quite like French press coffee, but it isn't espresso. The actual brewing happens under one atmosphere. The pressure is only to separate the grounds from the water. Also, it tastes quite unlike espresso and usually brewed about as strong as drip coffee.

Axman wrote:What's this deal about coffee oil being unhealthful? (Paper adds a taste, and the filter doesn't suck it all, or even mostly up. If there isn't oil on your coffee, your beans have been sitting around waaaaay too long.) I've never heard that coffee fat is bad fat.

The problem is that coffee oils are suspected of increasing your LDL ("bad cholesterol") levels.


Return to “Food”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests