Let's Talk About Theobromine - that means Chocolate.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Re: Let's Talk About Theobromine - that means Chocolate.

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:40 am UTC

Making hot cocoa with tea instead of hot water or milk can be quite tasty as well.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:03 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Peppermint schnapps, caramel Bailey's and amaretto are all lovely additions to hot chocolate.

Yes, yes, and oh I'll have to try that :-)
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

HeadOfBananas

Postby HeadOfBananas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:43 am UTC

I love to dip bananas in melted chocolate. Mmm, chocolate-y bananas.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Making hot cocoa with tea instead of hot water or milk can be quite tasty as well.

Ooooooh, must try this. What kinds of tea to you recommend? I have a bunch of Twinings flavors that my friend brought back from London and I can't wait to do something with them.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:11 pm UTC

Ooh... hot chocolate w/ chai tea sounds like a fantastic idea. Or perhaps a mint herbal tea, for that peppermint patty taste? The possibilities!
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

I can't remember exactly which one of Sarah's teas I did it with, but I think it was either the Twinnings Herbal Revive with cherries and madagascan cinnamon or the Harney & Sons African Autumn rooibos with cranberry and orange. The more I think about it, the more I think it was the latter. There are some local tea shops that I know make earl grey hot chocolate, and other varieties, as well.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:20 am UTC

Okay, I tried making my hot chocolate with Twining's "orange, mango, & cinnamon" tonight and the awesome cannot be described. The chocolate flavor is still dominant, but it finishes with the mango and orange and it's amazing. Thanks for the idea, Bakemaster!
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:50 am UTC

Chilli. That is all.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:01 pm UTC

I got so much chocolate for my birthday, and a fondue pot, so I've saved up the ones I think will work and am so having choc fondue for one last breakout before serious health watching returns on Monday. I have a mini slab of 40% milk from Hotel Chocolat (oh, how I love thee, Hotel Chocolat); four dark chocolate Lindt Lindor balls and two pieces of fudge. I'm quite confident in the deliciousness of this endeavour. I will consult either my awesome fondue recipe book present, or my (even) awesome(r) chocolate book present for additional ingredients but advice is always welcome.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

atimholt

Postby atimholt » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:00 am UTC

You guys don't know what awesome is.
A couple years ago, around Christmas, we had the best possible hot chocolate imaginable. Have you ever heard of a hot chocolate described as tasting like 'melted chocolate bars?' That's more or less the idea.
You melt the chocolate and mix it with condensed milk in order to keep it liquid. I've lost the ratios, but you probably want to do it where you have a thick sludge at room temperature. Then you mix that with heated milk. It's best when you mix in only enough so that it will (barely) flow freely down your throat, like any drink.
It tastes, without exaggeration, exactly like melted chocolate bars. It's so incredibly rich, the sheer richness itself stings your throat. This is independent of any throat-stinging chemical concentrations the uninitiated might guess could be the cause. It's just that awesome.
This is the powerthirst of chocolate products, except it's not an energy drink, so to speak. I'd try to describe how incredibly awesome this stuff is, but I'd end up using too many adverbs and (supposed) hyperbole. You guys wouldn't believe me.

Anyways, when I eat pure chocolate, I prefer mine dark, around 70/75%.
And I got my brother a 3 lb. chocolate bar for Christmas. I could have gotten him a 5 lb. bar (it was, duh, more expensive), and the bar was Hershey's, but you gotta admit it's still awesome. The birthday previous I got him around a half dozen different dark chocolate bars, each of a completely different brand and manufacturer. Chocolate is one of the things we talk about when we visit each other.
Totally random totally awesome SF quote:
Jorane Sutt put the tips of carefully-manicured fingers together and said, "It's something of a puzzle. In fact--and this is in the strictest confidence--it may be another one of Hari Seldon's crises."

GyRo567

Postby GyRo567 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:18 am UTC

I've come to the point where I enjoy 100% cacao bars...

If I want something sweet, I grab a bar of plain 85% chocolate. Someone please stop me. Before it's... too late...
I came here to read a cool post, a witty dialogue, a fresh joke, but stumbled upon a "bump"...
Way to go, jerk...
~CordlessPen

Alder

Postby Alder » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

So, I took a pal of mine to the theatre on Saturday, and unbeknownst to be she rang up my sisinlaw to ask what my favourite chocolates were. My sisinlaw remembered that I really, really liked Black Magic. Which she brought.

Except...

They're changed them...taken out all the soft, fruit centres and dark fudge that I loved, and turned them into truffles and pralines. Pralines that I'm...allergic...to...<headdesk>
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

d33p wrote:Ooh... hot chocolate w/ chai tea sounds like a fantastic idea. Or perhaps a mint herbal tea, for that peppermint patty taste? The possibilities!
There's a chai place nearby that does exactly this. It is beyond fantastic, and after about a week straight of ordering the straight chai-hot chocolate combo, I've started to branch out to the other varieties. So far, they've all been incredible. I don't think I can drink regular hot chocolate any more.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:47 pm UTC

Dark chocolate and a good scotch make an excellent combination. Take a bite of the chocolate, chew and savor it, and right after you swallow, take a small sip of the scotch. Exquisite.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Alder

Postby Alder » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:Dark chocolate and a good scotch make an excellent combination. Take a bite of the chocolate, chew and savor it, and right after you swallow, take a small sip of the scotch. Exquisite.

First you need to like the whisky, though. Ick.

My brother would probably go for it though. :D

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Joskanathan

Favorite Chocolate

Postby Joskanathan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:07 am UTC

What art thou favorite chocolate?
I said no to drugs.
They didn't listen.

Ninjew

Re: Favorite Chocolate

Postby Ninjew » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

I'm gonna say Dark Chocolate.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

I like my chocolate like I like my men.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

Studded with pieces of ginger? Ow.

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I like my chocolate like I like my men.

Ooooh, I could have said something really dirty there, but I'm nice.

I like milk chocolate. The quality stuff, though a Hershey bar every once in a while is good too.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:35 pm UTC

I like dark chocolate best, particularly stuff in the 50%-80% range. Past that I'm not quite there yet.

I do like milk chocolate too--but given the choice I'd take dark.
Rice Puddin.

MarshyMarsh

Postby MarshyMarsh » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:50 am UTC

White Chocolate isn't chocolate as it doesn't contain Cocoa Solids.
You are also missing Plain Chocolate or do you class that as a 'weak' dark chocolate?
Personally I picked other, Cacao chocolate is the best, allthough a bit bitter on its own, used in cooking it is orgasmic.

AntonGarou

Postby AntonGarou » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

Dark, even extra Dark.I subsist on 85% during stressful times, but I tend to cook with either 60% or 70%- I find the chocolate's taste tends to become stronger after cooking, which makes the higher %s too strong even for me.
I'm not nitpicking, I'm quarkpicking!

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

The best hot chocolate EVAR is to be found in Madrid-at the chocolateria San Genes, near the Puerto Del Sol. It's just about a hot chocolate pudding, eaten with fresh churros.
You can get the chocolate needed to make this from Valor-LaTienda.com and Belgian Chocolate online both carry the bars. Trader Joe's European Sipping Chocolate is a thin imitation.
But you can make yummy hot cocoa mix to have on hand with ease-1 Tb cocoa powder, 1/4 c dried milk and 2-3 Tb sugar per cup. In bulk that's 1 cup cocoa powder, 4 cups dried milk and 2 cups sugar. I like to add dried orange peel and cinnamon. You can also add some ancho chili powder for a nice spicy cup. You need to experiment to find the ratio you like the best, so plan on drinking plenty of cocoa!
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:13 pm UTC

There's some interesting stuff about the chemistry of chocolate and theobromine in this featured youtube video today.

Kangaroo

Postby Kangaroo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:12 am UTC

Ahh, chocolate!

I love dark chocolate, which for me is at least 85%. Once I ate a 93% chocolate bar and that was one of the best I've ever eaten. Sometimes I'm able to eat this lovely cocoa sweet with 70% cacao if it has some very special flavour. I remember with horror the days when I was a small child and was able to eat milk chocolate. :shock:

I mean, can you seriously consider anything below 60% (I'm not able to eat this, even) as chocolate?

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:00 am UTC

... yes.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

gerb

Postby gerb » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

Milk chocolate's kinda bleah for me. Dark is good, don't know which % I like best yet.
But I got a chocolate book for my birthday. It has a recipe for chocolate lava cakes... :-D
"In a world where derivatives change functions into other functions...one constant will stand alone....This summer, Leonhard Euler is...ex..."
-Sir_Elderberry

Alder

Postby Alder » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:38 pm UTC

I've just remembered I have two chocolate marshmallow eggs in my room. I need to make some hot chocolate to bob them in...

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:51 am UTC

I can hardly comprehend how milk chocolate could ever be regarded as superior to dark chocolate. Well, except maybe economically and for some specific baking purposes.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:12 am UTC

I know of no use for milk chocolate in baking which I would consider to be legitimate and a good idea.

Poiesis

Postby Poiesis » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:32 am UTC

Cacao chocolate is all chocolate: it is the plant from the beans of which chocolate is made.

My favorite is dark chocolate (60% cacao or more) with pieces of neat things in it: berries, bits of orange, exotic nuts, ginger, chili peppers, green tea, etc. Or raw cacao beans. Mmm, theobromine.
There is almost a sensual longing for communion with others who have a large vision. The immense fulfillment of the friendship between those engaged in furthering the evolution of consciousness has a quality impossible to describe.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:50 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I can hardly comprehend how milk chocolate could ever be regarded as superior to dark chocolate. Well, except maybe economically and for some specific baking purposes.

I generally enjoy dark chocolate more than milk, but they both have their places. I think of milk and dark chocolate as different foods that happen to contain a lot of the same ingredients. Milk chocolate tends to be smoother, sweeter and creamier; dark chocolate tends to be, well, chocolatier. It's like comparing different coffee drinks. For instance, you can't categorically say that straight espresso is better than cappuccino, or vice versa. They aren't supposed to be substitutes for each other.

(Or, yes, apples and oranges.)

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:45 pm UTC

I used to think that milk chocolate had a place, mostly to wrap around things to make chocolate bars. But they have started bringing out my favourite chocolate bars in Dark varieties, and they are so much better it's not funny.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I know of no use for milk chocolate in baking which I would consider to be legitimate and a good idea.
Maybe it melts or flows more easily?

Alder

Postby Alder » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

I like both milk and dark, but I do discriminate against white chocolate. Since it isn't chocolate!!!

gerb

Postby gerb » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:43 am UTC

I grew up on milk chocolate because I didn't know there was something better out there.
Dark chocolate is far superior.
Just tried some 70% today. Smells wonderful. And it's yummy. :-)
"In a world where derivatives change functions into other functions...one constant will stand alone....This summer, Leonhard Euler is...ex..."
-Sir_Elderberry

codyhotel

Postby codyhotel » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:20 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I like my chocolate like I like my men.

...with the options available, that doesn't really narrow it down.
Philwelch wrote:Would a prostitution enthusiast be a buy-sexual?

...sorry.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:21 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:I know of no use for milk chocolate in baking which I would consider to be legitimate and a good idea.
Maybe it melts or flows more easily?

No form of chocolate is difficult to work with in baking. In any recipe that calls for milk chocolate, I would generally substitute bittersweet/semi-sweet chocolate without a second thought, except for when I'd substitute sweet baking chocolate (aka German's baking chocolate).

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:57 am UTC

For my boyfriend's birthday last year, I made him the Cake with two large bars of milk chocolate. It was ringed with strawberries, and was both incredibly sweet and very tasty. It tasted much lighter and sweeter than it would have been if I had used dark chocolate- and he has a sweet tooth.

For which chocolate I prefer, it depends very heavily on the actual chocolate. I used to work in a gourmet dessert store, and I kept a journal of all the different chocolates offered- taste, texture, scent, aftertaste, presentation, etc. With lighter fillings (like champagne), the milk chocolate variety was usually much smoother with a better finish, while the sweetness of the chocolate couldn't compete with richer fillings (like Black Forest). White chocolate was always interesting to work with, because with most of them, while the starting taste was nothing spectacular, it left you craving for more (particularly the peppermint). For our caramel truffles, though, the milk and dark chocolate were equally good, depending on what you wanted in a chocolate.

It's too bad I couldn't take that job at Godiva afterwards... I might have stayed in the dessert business.

Return to “Food”