Durian

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Chacor

Durian

Postby Chacor » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:27 am UTC

First thread, so go easy on the new guy, yeah? :)

Was wondering if anyone's ever tried durian. The King of Fruits. Native to the Southeast Asian region. Many people - both tourists and locals - can't take the smell at all, and I'd like to know if anyone here has tried it, or would dare to try it. It's really delicious once you get over the smell, and personally I don't really think the smell's that bad, although I've heard people compare it to a cross between weeks-old socks and dog puke.

So, any experiences with the fruit anyone wants to share? (Jackfruit would count too, I guess, since it's just about as pungent as durian. Both are delicious though.)

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Re: Durian

Postby parkaboy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:08 pm UTC

so THATS what those are... how do you eat them? just cut it open and eat that yellow stuff in the middle?

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Chacor

Postby Chacor » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:37 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:so THATS what those are... how do you eat them? just cut it open and eat that yellow stuff in the middle?

Yep, just the yellow flesh around the seeds (which are huge). A lot of people can't even get past opening the durians in the first place though. :lol:

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:36 pm UTC

sounds like this fruit has issued a challenge! i accept! *marches to the store to buy one* er, how do you tell if they are ripe?

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:42 pm UTC

The spines look daunting; if the smell is as bad as it's rumoured to be, that's quite a 1-2 punch of defense mechanisms to keep things from eating it. Makes me wonder if people first started eating them on a dare, or out of spite.

I dunno, the thing looks like it has internal organs. I'm sure I'll steer clear if I see one, heh.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

Chacor

Postby Chacor » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:01 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:er, how do you tell if they are ripe?

That's a good question. I'm not so sure myself - I just do the eating, not the buying. ¬_¬

Wikipedia wrote:According to Larousse Gastronomique, the durian fruit is ready to eat when its husk begins to crack.[21] However, the ideal stage of ripeness to be enjoyed varies from region to region in Southeast Asia and also by species. Some species grow so tall, they can only be collected once they have fallen to the ground, whereas most cultivars of D. zibethinus (such as Mon Thong) are nearly always cut from the tree and allowed to ripen while waiting to be sold. Some people in southern Thailand prefer their durians relatively young, when the clusters of fruit within the shell are still crisp in texture and mild in flavour. In northern Thailand, the preference is for the fruit to be as soft and pungent in aroma as possible. In Malaysia and Singapore, most consumers also prefer the fruit to be quite ripe and may even risk allowing the fruit to continue ripening after its husk has already cracked open on its own. In this state, the flesh becomes richly creamy, slightly alcoholic,[17] the aroma pronounced and the flavour highly complex.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

Kabann wrote:The spines look daunting; if the smell is as bad as it's rumoured to be, that's quite a 1-2 punch of defense mechanisms to keep things from eating it. Makes me wonder if people first started eating them on a dare, or out of spite.

If I am remembering my natural history documentaries correctly, durian are a favourite of the orangutan. They are attracted by the smell and the skin on their hands and feet are thick enough that the spines don't faze them.

Don't knock it till you try it.

chelidon

Postby chelidon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:50 am UTC

My mother loves the fruit, says it tastes very sweet. I insist that it smells like something died, crawled into my nostrils, and died again out of pure stubborn spite.

Oh god, I've never seen the inside of one before. It looks like there are two fetuses curled up in the split half in the picture.

I don't think I could muster the courage to try it; the smell is simply overpowering. Give me apples and oranges anytime...does this make me a filthy bigot?

We should reenact minority rights' movements with the durian in the starring role. Black rights! Women's suffrage! Gay marriage! (Er, maybe not the last one--it might give rise to a few unfortunate "fruity" puns!)

Eps

Postby Eps » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:14 am UTC

I don't really mind the smell of durian, but I don't like the way it tastes. Which makes me the total opposite of most people. Look, everyone, see how independent and different I am! Watch closely, as I wilfully go my own way, forging a bold new path in the realm of fairly well-known tropical fruits! Er, yes. Anyway. Everyone should try it, because it tastes very different to how it smells.

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:16 am UTC

I hate the taste as much as the smell.
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:37 am UTC

They had those in the Philippines, but I never got around to trying one. I was too busy stuffing myself with mangos.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:27 am UTC

I like the taste, but to eat/get near it I have to breathe through my mouth. Durian products are pretty good - I especially like sweet buns with creamy durian filling.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

OneFish

Postby OneFish » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:20 pm UTC

I think it's the fruit with highest fat content, possibly protein too, very rich. Also, I roast the seeds and eat them.

It's delicious for some, impossible for others. Once you start eating it is ok. Sort of like some other favorites of mine, limburger or Alsatian meunster with vinegar and onions.

My kids will all eat it straight but their favorite use for it is homemade ice cream. Use a cooked custard recipe for the ice cream and you'll find the flavor and aroma are mellowed by the cooking.

The spines aren't all that hard to work around, I just open them with my hands. It could kill you if it fell from a 100' tree though, which is basically what they do when they're ripe.

I've eaten lots of great fruits in the Philippines and a previous poster is right - the mangoes are the best I've ever tasted. Try many things but if you must choose - stay with the mangoes.
Our 'neoconservatives' are neither new nor conservative, but old as Bablyon and evil as Hell. -Edward Abbey-

Anasazi

Postby Anasazi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am UTC

Chacor wrote:First thread, so go easy on the new guy, yeah? :)

Was wondering if anyone's ever tried durian. The King of Fruits. Native to the Southeast Asian region. Many people - both tourists and locals - can't take the smell at all, and I'd like to know if anyone here has tried it, or would dare to try it. It's really delicious once you get over the smell, and personally I don't really think the smell's that bad, although I've heard people compare it to a cross between weeks-old socks and dog puke.

So, any experiences with the fruit anyone wants to share? (Jackfruit would count too, I guess, since it's just about as pungent as durian. Both are delicious though.)

yeah, i want some, we did a school project on it.
IT LOOKS AWESOME.

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:14 am UTC

Okay, who the hell made a thread about durian?!?!?! I ought to shoot you.

Hahaha, I'm totally jk. There's always durian in the markets in Hong Kong and Malaysia, where I have family, so whenever I go back to visit, I can't avoid it. I really don't like the fruit at all, and it's not just the smell. But my mom loves it.

btw, I learned once that just as durian is known as the "King of Fruits," mangosteen is called the "Queen of Fruits." Apparently durian has a slightly spicy taste, and mangosteen cools it down. Makes sense. And mangosteen is awesome.
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 :lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:
1 :idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

asdf

Postby asdf » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:52 am UTC

I had fresh jackfruit recently, from southern India. I didn't think its smell was very strong or bad. I tried two varieties there: a firm, fleshy one, and another which reminded me of soft cheeses. I'd say the firm one is now my favorite fruit.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

chelidon wrote:My mother loves the fruit, says it tastes very sweet. I insist that it smells like something died, crawled into my nostrils, and died again out of pure stubborn spite.

Oh god, I've never seen the inside of one before. It looks like there are two fetuses curled up in the split half in the picture.

I don't think I could muster the courage to try it; the smell is simply overpowering. Give me apples and oranges anytime...does this make me a filthy bigot?

We should reenact minority rights' movements with the durian in the starring role. Black rights! Women's suffrage! Gay marriage! (Er, maybe not the last one--it might give rise to a few unfortunate "fruity" puns!)

So do a number of hotels in SE Asia. Many of them won't allow you to bring the thing into your room.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Firnagzen

Postby Firnagzen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:00 am UTC

*Coughs*

I actually like them. And I live in Singapore, so I fet to eat some every durian season. Mmmm. Carrying them home is problematic, though, because of the spines and their weight. If I relax and they brush against my legs... Ow.
Life may suck, but there's nothing else to do.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:07 am UTC

Chacor wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:In northern Thailand, the preference is for the fruit to be as soft and pungent in aroma as possible.
My sincere respect goes out to people from northern Thailand.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

mazzilliu

Postby mazzilliu » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:57 am UTC

you can obtain durian in the states or probably anywhere from a chinese food store. you can probably get it in any other ethnic food store that has roots in the areas where durian grows(southeast asia). Anyways ive always seen it frozen, its the only way to make it keep during shipping otherwise it will rot(lol). it's expensive, and usually as big and heavier then a football. I brought one home once and i was forced to eat it outside. flies crowded around me as my tasty durian thawed :(
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

arcsol

Postby arcsol » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:49 am UTC

gaah. nasty smelly bugger, this fruit is. sort-of protip [please confirm, i've only seen this once and it seemed to work]: if you don't want your hands smelling like durian for a day or so after eating it, do this: cut the durian in half such that you can put water in the halves of the shell/rind (i.e. use the empty halves as a basin) after eating, wash your hands on the basin. no more smelly hands.

sort-of-OffT: try 'marang' - a relative of the breadfruit that tastes like/better than durian sans the kickass scent
a rabbit will never go into a lion's den unless it's a really badass rabbit

- Cromartie High

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Thu May 01, 2008 1:45 am UTC

tried it, was initially semi-spicy... (think like cooked onions) then a rather pleasant sweetness came over. Texture not unlike tapioca. I give it a 6/10. I'd rather have a peach or something, but could have definitely been worse.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

Mitora

Postby Mitora » Sun May 04, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

I got one from a asian food market when I was seven. I loved it, tasted like garlic bananas. I think it was frozen when we bought it, so I'm not sure if the soft texture was from how ripe it was or the fact that it had been frozen.

hybridchimera

Postby hybridchimera » Thu May 22, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

My ex boyfriend loves this fruit and I cannot stand the smell of it. One time he made me feed him durian while he was driving, I threw up a couple of times inside my mouth (i know horrible) and I still kept a lovingly smile :D

Now that's love... hah! :wink:

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

hybridchimera wrote:My ex boyfriend loves this fruit and I cannot stand the smell of it. One time he made me feed him durian while he was driving, I threw up a couple of times inside my mouth (i know horrible) and I still kept a lovingly smile :D

Now that's love... hah! :wink:
Yeah, I think that sounds...rediculous. If my boyfriend trapped me in a car with something that I thought smelled so bad it made me gag, I would consider that to be a lack of compassion.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:41 am UTC

Good God these things are awful. I tried one for the first time yesterday.
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

0xDEADBEEF

Postby 0xDEADBEEF » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:18 am UTC

The first time I had durian, someone just said "Here, try this," and "popped" it in my mouth before I could even ask what it was.

My first thought: Mmmm! Ice Cream!
My second thought: WTF is that smell?

Lutetium

Postby Lutetium » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:39 am UTC

I love that stuff!

And by that, I mean just the taste. One way to get past the smell is either get hayfever so your nose is blocked all the time, or get the canned variety for Asian groceries.
I haz awesome procrastination skills, let me show you them .... laterz.

Return to “Food”