Cocktails

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

rrwoods

Re: Cocktails

Postby rrwoods » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:23 pm UTC

BMW787 wrote:I have now deemed that the white russian is my drink of choice. Thank you, Big Lebowski, thank you :D

Great drink :-) French Vanilla Kahlua gives a really interesting alternative flavor for these.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:56 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:
BMW787 wrote:I have now deemed that the white russian is my drink of choice. Thank you, Big Lebowski, thank you :D

Great drink :-) French Vanilla Kahlua gives a really interesting alternative flavor for these.

Somebody told me I should subsitute the vodka for amerretto. I shall try both! (I see the drnuk thread in my future)
"I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence." -Ricky Bobby

"Grow up and do coke like an adult." -Daniel Tosh

Matt

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

BMW787 wrote:
rrwoods wrote:

Somebody told me I should subsitute the vodka for amerretto. I shall try both! (I see the drnuk thread in my future)

Maybe if you like drinking coffee-flavoring syrup right out of the bottle.
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:47 am UTC

Tonight I added the French 75 to my repertoire, and it is awesome. It'd probably be better with a better quality bubbly, but is still pretty good with a basic one. And it goes surprisingly well with Navarin of Possum Stew.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:18 am UTC

There's this Mexican soda they sell at Wal*Mart called Barrilitos. My favorite is pineapple, which has an odd, vaguely banana-like texture to it. As is the case with all new (to me) soda, it's another mixer waiting for someone to invent a drink for it.

So, does anyone think that tequila might work well with pineapple soda? I've seen a few other drinks that used regular pineapple, so it's not completely insane. But when Google hasn't heard of something, it must be pretty crazy if no one else has thought of it.

Speaking of tequila, I officially endorse el Jimador's recipe for sangrita. It's good with tequila, but I also kind of like it as something I can drink for a real quick boost of calories and vitamins.

While I'm at it, I was thinking about what might go well with Mountain Dew Voltage. I'm thinking sloe gin, cherry brandy, and/or crème de cassis. There's probably other things that might also work well (like blackberry schnapps), but those three are the only ones I've tried that I think will work.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:53 pm UTC

Oh me yarm I finally found Carpano Antica! In keeping with the hundreds-of-years-ago theme, I made a Manhattan with that and some Old Potrero 18th Century (and Regan's #6 bitters). My gods it was good. The Carpano is not as rich and syrupy as Lillet Rouge, but it's brighter and far more complex. Best. Manhattan. Evar.

Still no Peychaud's bitters - my other current holy grail - but they did have Fee Bros. Aromatic and Whisky Barrel bitters, neither of which I'd encountered IRL before. I decided to be sensible and not buy the whole store, but now that I know they're there I might get some when I feel rich or reckless :)

Also, sheol made some mulled wine which ended up much sweeter and thicker than planned - it cooked down into kind of a mulled-wine syrup. Far too rich to really drink straight, so I'm scheming about how I might be able to use it in cocktails. Flavour-wise, it's the nicest mulled wine I've ever had. I'm thinking of doing something with lemon juice and cognac, or bubbly. Maybe rum.

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:34 am UTC

I don't know if Wassail is a cocktail but it I do love it. I only think to make it when it's cold outside or I usually go around being smashed during Christmas because of it. My Physics C teacher brought a few gallons of this one day when I was back in high school and I've been drinking it ever since.

Spoiler:
Ingredients:
1 can (1 qt) pineapple juice
1 quart orange juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
5 tea bags
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons whole cloves
3 cinnamon sticks
1 bottle of mulled red wine

Directions:

Combine fruit juices. Steep tea in 2 1/2 qts boiling water for 5-10 minutes. Remove tea bags. In sauce pan combine remaining ingredients with 1 qt cold water - bring to a boil and boil 3 minutes. Strain. Just before serving combine juices, tea and spiced water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add the bottle of mulled red wine. Serve hot.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

Matt

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:Oh me yarm I finally found Carpano Antica!

JEALOUS

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat May 02, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

Gentlelady wrote:I don't know if Wassail is a cocktail...

Not by most definitions. Probably most correctly labeled as a punch.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue May 19, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

I plan on making a cocktail that involves heated Drambuie (plus lime, honey, and Scotch). What's the preferred method for heating liquor? Stovetop? Microwave? Dragon's breath? Something more unconventional?
31/M/taken/US

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu May 21, 2009 12:40 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:Drambuie (plus lime, honey, and Scotch).

... wouldn't that just make more Drambuie plus lime?

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu May 21, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
rrwoods wrote:Drambuie (plus lime, honey, and Scotch).

... wouldn't that just make more Drambuie plus lime?

:-P The proportions are different. I could probably leave off the regular scotch, but that's what the recipe calls for.
31/M/taken/US

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu May 21, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

I am suspicious, to say the very least.

darthchazza

Postby darthchazza » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:03 am UTC

Great on a cold day, like today in Melbourne.

1 piece of orange "cheek" (slice off as much orange rind+pith as you can whilst just grazing the flesh)
1~2 oz bourbon
1/2 tsp honey
2 dashes of angoustra bitters
Boiling water

Cut the pith off the orange rind and slash with a knife.
Put in the bottom of a rocks glass and about 1 inch of boiling water.
Allow to steep/infuse whilst covered (to keep heat in).
Fish out rind (or leave in and eat at the end), add bourbon and more boiling water if you like.
Sip in front of fire with book or laptop as the case may be.
Flo3:16 wrote:You sir are a Winner. Just because you have the testicular fortitude to dress up as freakin Zoidberg. :mrgreen:

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

This is apparently called "coppertone punch", but I just like to call it "ridiculously sweet":

1 shot Midori
1 shot Malibu
1 shot creme de banane
1 splash pineapple juice
Shake, strain into cocktail glass

(and for the love of god... please don't call this a banana-coconut-melon martini, or i will find and kill you)
31/M/taken/US

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

The other day, having brought home a load of eggs from the folks' place, I used a white to make a whisky sour. Then I had a spare yolk lying about, so I had to dispose of that in a whisky flip. It was kind of a delicious cycle (ie. delicious, but not technically a cycle), which begged to be repeated the following evening. The rest of the eggs have been used in french toast and carbonara and triple fried egg chilli chutney sandwiches, but we're seeing the folks again this weekend, thus the cycle shall recommence :) Perhaps I shall chase a White Lady with a gin flip.

Also, can't see me ever making it, but I'd totally love to try the Ham, Cheese and Tomato Toasted Sandwich cocktail. (No, I will not use the bloody M word).

Also, apparently the Wigs Cellar has sold Peychaud's bitters as recently as May and I had no idea! They tell me they usually have some but are currently between suppliers. Perhaps I shall have to wait for my Europe trip after all. I was so looking forward to an authentic Sazerac dammit.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:07 am UTC

Presenting: The Jasmine. This is a lovely, lovely drink for a summer's evening, and I'm sure I shall make many more, what with all the lemons the folks have brought round :)

Matt

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:Presenting: The Jasmine. This is a lovely, lovely drink for a summer's evening, and I'm sure I shall make many more, what with all the lemons the folks have brought round :)

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Jasmine since you could still find the old Drinkboy pdf writeup on the wayback machine; practically since right after I started drinking. I think it was what got me into Campari. I wish I could track down Harrington's book now, but I bet that'll be a losing battle.

However, there aren't going to be many summer's evenings for a number of months.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:34 pm UTC

Not for you, perhaps :P

OK, so I'm going to be trading two months of my summer for a European winter. But I've got the next month, and then February should still be lovely when we get back. *makes more Jasmines*

It is nice to have a new use for Campari. I use the gin, Cointreau and lemons inna wide range of things, but so far my Campari drinking has been restricted to Negronis and the occasional soda highball.

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:50 am UTC

Oh for pete's...I'm going to be looking at Locations from now on.

Yeah, I have no idea what else to do with Campari either. When I don't have lemons or sweet vermouth, I tend to just mix it with OJ, Orangina, french lemonade. That sort of thing.

Tangentially, the other day I found a local store selling Aperol for 13 bucks a bottle (my lucky number, apparently). I need more things to do with that as well; I have a feeling it has even fewer cocktail uses. It feels like just campari + simple syrup + orange bitters.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:39 am UTC

My failure to do more with Campari is more a case of not getting around to it than not knowing what to do with it. That's why eGullet and Drinkboy are awesome :P Next on my radar is the Rosita; might get around to that inna nother few months (I was eyeing the Jasmine for months before I finally tried it). I should really do more mixing and less reading...

Edit, two days later...

Feels like a rye day; was about to make a Sazerac, then remembered the Campari discussion. Quick bit of research, ended up eschewing my old friend for an Old Pal. First sip was heavenly - complex and savoury. After that it got progressively less special as I drank. Don't get me wrong, it was very pleasant - basically a Campari'd variation onna dry Manhattan. But had this weird effect of being at its best right at the beginning of the glass. Also, I just realised I forgot the garnish; maybe the twist helps maintain the mystery.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:42 am UTC

I'm going to a birthday party in about half an hour. Decided to make a big batch of daiquiris. Or of daiquiri. I dunno. Anyway, I've made up some simple syrup using brown sugar, and juiced eight limes. On the way we're going to pick up a fifth of gold rum, depends what we can find, but I'll be looking for Appleton Special. What I'm uncertain about is proportions, as I've never made it in a large batch before. There's about a cup and a half of brown sugar in the syrup and we'll be buying a fifth of rum. I think with eight limes, that's roughly the proportions I need, but would like a second opinion. I'm going to mix it when we get there, tasting and twerking as I go.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:26 am UTC

I suspect I'm too late and you've gone to your party by now, but in any case it seems to be a matter of taste. I've just had a look through my book stash and found a great deal of variation.

Embury - 8 parts rum, 2 parts lime juice, 1 part simple
Regan - 1.5 oz rum, 1 oz lime juice, 1tsp superfine sugar
Hess - 2 oz rum, 0.5 oz lime juice, 0.75 oz simple
Martin - 2 oz rum, juice of 1 lime, 0.25 oz simple or 1tsp sugar

Haven't made many myself (prefer gin and rye for mixing), so can't really give a recommendation, sorry.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

It worked out fine. I started by mixing half of everything I'd brought, then twerked, and ended up using a fifth of Appleton Special, all the simple syrup I'd prepared, and most of the lime juice. People at the party were not wise to the whole pouring it over ice thing so they found it a bit strong. Oh, well - I enjoyed it. Though I did so like it with Hurricane Rum when I was back on the East Coast.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:27 am UTC

So, a couple questions to anyone who might know. I'm looking at a recipe for something and it calls for Bombay Sapphire. The thing is, that shit's expensive. Is there something special about this or can I just use tanqueray (spelling fail I'm sure) or something cheaper. Also, the recipe says "roll 1/2 oz of dry vermouth and throw away the excess," I've googled and such and can't figure out what this person might mean by "roll." The drink, btw, is labelled Absinthe Minded Martini.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:50 am UTC

It might mean to coat the inside of the glass, that's the only interpretation I can see from that description. I don't see why any gin wouldn't work.
Rice Puddin.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:42 am UTC

Hm, yea that makes sense I suppose. Thanks.

ETA: Drinktried. Result: delicious. Kind of amazed how strong the absinthe flavor still was even only being 1/7th of the drink (the rest being gin and grand marnier).
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Matt

Postby Matt » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:tried. Result: delicious. Kind of amazed how strong the absinthe flavor still was even only being 1/7th of the drink (the rest being gin and grand marnier).

Absinthe/pastis will totally take over a drink. I have no idea why I opened a whole bottle of it, I use it in drops.

Anybody's welcome to it if they can get out here.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:35 am UTC

Use it for Sazeracs and Monkey Glands! Which, since I mention it... *gets out rye*

*edit*
Fark, Amarantha is out of everything. Put glass in the freezer to chill for Sazerac, realised I'm out of simple. Toyed with the idea of a Sidecar, out of Cognac. Considered a French 75, got no bubbly. Looked through Drinkboy for something new to try, Corpse Reviver #2 sounds pleasant - no Cointreau (double whammy for the Sidecar). Started leaning towards Aviation, but the lemons look a bit old. Decided it wasn't meant to be, went back to basics in the form of a Dry Martini... out of olives! Managed to get a decent twist from one of the elderly lemons. This Martini is excellent, and worth the wait. But I totally need to restock.

(also, o hai i found a word filter)

Matt

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:01 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:Fark, Amarantha is out of everything. Put glass in the freezer to chill for Sazerac, realised I'm out of simple. Toyed with the...

WAIT WAIT WAIT wait wait. Amarantha, what's simple syrup made of!

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:14 am UTC

Ya, I did consider that. But I didn't really want to take the time to make it right then. I just wanted a nice drink. And I don't like using straight sugar; I can rarely get it to dissolve right. Also, now you mention it, I couldn't actually swear to having sugar in the house...

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:18 am UTC

Just now I threw together some stuff and came up with a clear winner. I'm going to try to estimate the proportions...
- Ice
- 4 parts pure unsweetened cranberry juice
- 2 parts Sailor Jerry spiced rum
- 1 part fresh squeezed lime juice
- Top with tonic

Sarah says it would be a good Christmas sort of drink because of the cranberry and spices. She thought it was sort of like a cranberry version of spiced alcoholic cider. I dunno, I just think it's tasty as hell. The sweetness of the tonic balances nicely the sour cranberry and lime; and the spiced rum makes the whole thing taste warm and enhances the fruitiness.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

I'm surprised rum and cranberry work together - I love each of them, but never thought to mix them. Sounds delish!

Guys, I have a bottle of Pastis. I'm not a huge fan of aniseedy flavours, generally - I don't mind a quick shot of Sambucca but a whole drink is a bit much. I tried mixing it with water, but it's still pretty much yuck. The flavour is too strong. Are there any *great* cocktails that I can make, or should I just give it to someone who will appreciate it?

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:20 pm UTC

It's a pretty key ingredient (in place of absinthe) in a lot of good cocktails (Sazeracs are one of my favorite), but a whole bottle will last you nigh on forever.

Le Téméraire

Postby Le Téméraire » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

My two most favorite cocktails of the moment:
"Royal" Margerita
  • 1 part lemon juice
  • 1 part Grand Marnier
  • 2 parts tequila
  • Sift and pour over a lot of finely crushed ice in a glass with salted rim
Negroni Sbagliato(a wrong negroni)
  • 1 part red vermouth
  • 1 part Campari bitters
  • 1 part Spumante brut (dry sparkling wine)
  • stir and add a slice of orange

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:41 am UTC

dubsola wrote:Guys, I have a bottle of Pastis. ... Are there any *great* cocktails that I can make, or should I just give it to someone who will appreciate it?
Sazerac
Monkey Gland

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:28 am UTC

Thanks guys. I think I will save about a quarter of the bottle and then give it to someone who likes it. I'm dead keen to try my hand at Sazeracs.

theMagicCactus

Postby theMagicCactus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:51 am UTC

14 seconds-worth of cherry flavored Popov vodka (the best vodka imaginable, at a low price of $8 a handle) in a large plastic cup, preferrably lime-green 3/5 filled with ice. Fill the rest up with big red, add two straws, and blow to mix (like you would blow bubbles in a glass of chocolate milk). 3 or 4 of these, a few shots, maybe a brewski-brew or two and you got yourself a stew a'brewin!

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:48 am UTC

Finally had time to make up some simple. Celebrated with a Sazerac, and then a second one to make up for the recent shortage :P

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

theMagicCactus wrote:14 seconds-worth of cherry flavored Popov vodka ... Fill the rest up with big red... and blow to mix...

I won't explicitly say you should be ashamed for drinking that, but you should for posting it in a cocktails thread.

Return to “Food”