Oenophiles?

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Brooks

Oenophiles?

Postby Brooks » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:46 am UTC

Any wine people here? Favorite varietals / wineries / etc? Tips on good affordable bottles?

Me, I'm primarily into reds, and especially Bordeaux style blends, but I like it all.

Sable

Re: Oenophiles?

Postby Sable » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:42 am UTC

Smoking Loon makes a fantastic array of red and white wines - I'm very, very fond of their cabernet sauvignons. They are inexpensive - 10.00USD a bottle or therabouts.

Three Blind Moose, similarly makes a fantastic cabernet sauvignon and merlot - smooth, slightly fruity, excellent with dinner. Slightly more expensive, 10-15USD a bottle.

Rex Goliath 47-Pound Rooster [Real name, I swear], excellent cabernet and merlots.

Kline Red Truck is also very good merlot.

Louis M. Martini is around 20-40USD a bottle, but I have a few of the 2001 cabernet sauvignons and they are magnificent.

For whites, I really like Covey Run and Blue Moon reislings - they go almost impossibly well with alfredo and really good pasta.

I have to look at my wine rack for more, but those are some of my favourites. Bottom's up!
I'm a photographer.
http://rsable.deviantart.com

Brooks

Postby Brooks » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:07 am UTC

I used to be a fan of Smoking Loon for cheap (often $6 on sale!) cabs and merlots. But the past couple of times I had it I was disappointed. I don't know if they've ramped up production or changed vineyards or if my taste just changed, but I'm not really buying it these days I have not seen Three Blind Moose but will make a point of looking for it.

47-pound Rooster and Red Truck are definitely taste affordable bottles. I get them both with some frequency, though my current favorite $10-$15 bottle is the Folie a Deux / Menage a Trois blend (sorry, to lazy to put accents in).

And yeah, the Louis Martini cabs are was underrated. I have a bottle of their 1984 cab that I paid about $30 for about a year ago. Assuming it was stored properly, that's going to be really tasty.

I'm living in Washington these days so I'm drinking a lot of Syrahs and some of the Malbecs tha are appearing. Of note: Trust, Five Star, and Dusted Valley. Those are all $20-$30 bottles, but really really worth it.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

Please make sure you're posting topics in the correct subforum. General should only be used for threads that don't belong anywhere else.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Return to “Food”