Cost to %proof ratio.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby 22/7 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:04 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:Modelo Especial (cans, please, it really is better than the bottles. Don't ask me why:))
It may have to do with where it's brewed and where you are. If you're particularly far from the brewery, it's probably the transport. While bottles not only let in light, but also oxygen (slowly, but surely), cans do not, and so stay better longer. At least, that's how it's been explained to me by "The Big Book of Beer."
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
 
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby Azrael » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

shinybaby wrote:Martini: i tend to prefer gin martinis over the vodka variety, but (sorry!) i'm not a fan of Vermouth. the variant i enjoy is generally called a smokey (or burnt) martini and it swaps scotch for vermouth. i like it with a lemon twist! very, very nice. i don't mind putting this in the cocktail subset, if the martini enthusiasts out there find it too much of a stretch... :D


Replace the vermouth with scotch?

... Brilliant!


Anyhow, if you're up for it, try a better vermouth. Even the good stuff isn't expensive.
User avatar
Azrael
Unintentionally Intoxicated
 
Posts: 6176
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 am UTC
Location: Boston

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby Girl™ » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

shinybaby wrote:Cocktails: for me, cocktails are generally out. or a one-off at best. the sugar content is too high and i get hung over... :( though, i'd try again if GirlTM is mixing! it sounds like she's a pro!

Beer: i'm not the beer snob in my particular social circle, but i like a good beer. my current favourites are Creemore Springs and Mill St. Coffee Porter (a microbrew here in TO).


Hahah. Not a pro, just bored and living in a place where TGI Friday's is considered a "good bar." And I read an unhealthy number of cocktail and food blogs. Coffee porter sounds delicious. I really love a good beer, but I find all the classifications and the like confusing. Usually, I just close my eyes and point at the nearest dark microbrew, or Guinness or Killian's if microbrews don't exist at the restaurant. Shockingly, this strategy hasn't failed me yet. Probably because I don't get beer out much. This will change when we move to Boston, I'm sure. D:

shinybaby wrote:Martini: i tend to prefer gin martinis over the vodka variety, but (sorry!) i'm not a fan of Vermouth. the variant i enjoy is generally called a smokey (or burnt) martini and it swaps scotch for vermouth. i like it with a lemon twist! very, very nice. i don't mind putting this in the cocktail subset, if the martini enthusiasts out there find it too much of a stretch... :D

Scotch. yummy, yummy scotch. my favourite drink of all! this, unfortunately for the pocket book, cannot be cheap. i don't need to spend ridiculous amounts of money, but the $20 bottles scare me a little... i was at a house warming party and a cute guy offered to pour me a scotch. needless to say i was impressed and drunk enough to consider repaying him for his kindness with sexytimes... right up until he brought me a glass of Teachers. wow, did my pants stay on that night. :P


Oh me yarm Scotch. I never took much notice of it until I had Glenmoragie 10yr at an Irish pub a little while back. And then the heavens fucking opened. XD I concur about the price, though. I can't bring myself to buy anything lesser, and I can't afford the good stuff. No Scotch for Girl. :(

The smoky martini sounds amazing, though. (Maybe it's a martini? It hits all the same notes as a classic and doesn't have disqualifying syrupy crap added. This bears investigation!) It might force me to buy a bit of the blended stuff. Do you use bitters in that at all?
You don't make them touch!
Girl™
This is what I think of you.
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:23 am UTC
Location: In ur base, et cetera, et cetera.

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby Azrael » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

cocktailDB lists a bunch of drinks with both gin & scotch - the Dusty Martini just has scotch & gin.
User avatar
Azrael
Unintentionally Intoxicated
 
Posts: 6176
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 am UTC
Location: Boston

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby 22/7 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:26 am UTC

There's a drink called the "Berlin Stationmaster" which is basically what you guys have been describing, but a little more specific. It's 2 parts Bombay Sapphire to 1 part Lagavulin, and you simply shake it over ice (briefly) and poor it into a martini glass, ungarnished. It's delicious and, if you make it as a 12oz pregame drink, is a fantastic way to only have to buy a drink or two at the bar to feel schwasty.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
 
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby MotorToad » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:There's a drink called the "Berlin Stationmaster" which is basically what you guys have been describing, but a little more specific. It's 2 parts Bombay Sapphire to 1 part Lagavulin, and you simply shake it over ice (briefly) and poor it into a martini glass, ungarnished. It's delicious and, if you make it as a 12oz pregame drink, is a fantastic way to only have to buy a drink or two at the bar to feel schwasty.

If I EVER see someone mixing Lagavulin, I will punch that person right square in the center of his chest! :) At $80/bottle, it's not financially sound, either.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)
User avatar
MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:09 pm UTC
Location: Saint Joseph, CA

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby shinybaby » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

Girl™ wrote:Hahah. Not a pro, just bored and living in a place where TGI Friday's is considered a "good bar." And I read an unhealthy number of cocktail and food blogs. Coffee porter sounds delicious. I really love a good beer, but I find all the classifications and the like confusing. Usually, I just close my eyes and point at the nearest dark microbrew, or Guinness or Killian's if microbrews don't exist at the restaurant. Shockingly, this strategy hasn't failed me yet. Probably because I don't get beer out much. This will change when we move to Boston, I'm sure. D:

Oh me yarm Scotch. I never took much notice of it until I had Glenmoragie 10yr at an Irish pub a little while back. And then the heavens fucking opened. XD I concur about the price, though. I can't bring myself to buy anything lesser, and I can't afford the good stuff. No Scotch for Girl. :(

The smoky martini sounds amazing, though. (Maybe it's a martini? It hits all the same notes as a classic and doesn't have disqualifying syrupy crap added. This bears investigation!) It might force me to buy a bit of the blended stuff. Do you use bitters in that at all?

yay!! i'm glad i didn't get raked over the coals for my 'martini'!! :D and yes, the smoky martini is absolutely lovely. i haven't tried it with bitters, but i might have to, now that you mention it. if you're ever in TO at some point, we'll have drinks... i'll take you to all sorts of bars that are infinitely (and i don't use that word lightly) better than a TGI Friday (shudders). :D plus, we can have scotch. i adore Glenmorangie... it's one of my favourites! i also love Balvenie, Dalwhinnie, and a classic Glenfiddich. when i changed jobs a while back a number of my friends/coworkers pooled together and bought me an 18 year old Glenfiddich that made me cry (not just the gesture, which was lovely!).

oooh! and if you make it up here, i'll take you to the Mill St. Microbrew... it's in the distillery district of TO... the coffee porter is seriously worth the trip!! :D
(@ Azrael: i actually tried a classic martini last night because i went to a fabulous bar that had really excellent ingredients, and you're right. Vermouth is a LOT better when it's higher end... i really enjoyed that!)
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!
User avatar
shinybaby
In-Tents
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:41 pm UTC
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby 22/7 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:
22/7 wrote:There's a drink called the "Berlin Stationmaster" which is basically what you guys have been describing, but a little more specific. It's 2 parts Bombay Sapphire to 1 part Lagavulin, and you simply shake it over ice (briefly) and poor it into a martini glass, ungarnished. It's delicious and, if you make it as a 12oz pregame drink, is a fantastic way to only have to buy a drink or two at the bar to feel schwasty.

If I EVER see someone mixing Lagavulin, I will punch that person right square in the center of his chest! :) At $80/bottle, it's not financially sound, either.

Are you one of those people that does cut his scotch with ice/water either?

And don't knock it till you've tried it. I *love* scotch, and normally I'd agree, that using it as an ingredient for a "mixed drink" is an atrocity. However, the Berlin Stationmaster is no such thing, and delicious, and so I'm very ok with it.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
 
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby MotorToad » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:Are you one of those people that does cut his scotch with ice/water either?

And don't knock it till you've tried it. I *love* scotch, and normally I'd agree, that using it as an ingredient for a "mixed drink" is an atrocity. However, the Berlin Stationmaster is no such thing, and delicious, and so I'm very ok with it.
Some I drop a little water into, it depends. Cask strength I'll cut about 1/3 with water which basically makes a liter out of a 750 since it's 105 proof. :) Johnnie Blue, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, and most others that are my absolute faves I don't add water. I never add ice as that really quells the flavor. Vodka and gin need to be cold for me to drink them, but Scotch is a blessed fluid and I can't stand to douse the flavor. :)

I guess if it's done sparingly and the end result is spectacular then I'll be able to handle "wasting" 18yo Scotch. :)
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)
User avatar
MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:09 pm UTC
Location: Saint Joseph, CA

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:41 am UTC

All those lovely sounding cocktails!
When I get rich (finers crossed) I am going to try out so many cocktails.

Until then I will dink following the ratio.
In following the ratio aaand experimenting, I had decided that White Lightning is the worst 7.5 cider in the world (whereas the Diamond White 7.5 cider is actually drinkable.), I never was a chavvy child and so never sat in parks drinking it. After seeing it a shop and friend and I bought a bottle to see and partly because of the "chavvy innit blud" factor.

After experiencing the paint stripper like flavour of the drink, I had yet to experience increased alcohol induced amnesia (I did not drink an extortionate amount that is usually associated with this state.) and in the morning the only hangover I've actually ever experienced.
Image
User avatar
Ian Ex Machina
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:07 pm UTC
Location: Around Cambridge (UK)

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:
22/7 wrote:Are you one of those people that does cut his scotch with ice/water either?

And don't knock it till you've tried it. I *love* scotch, and normally I'd agree, that using it as an ingredient for a "mixed drink" is an atrocity. However, the Berlin Stationmaster is no such thing, and delicious, and so I'm very ok with it.
Some I drop a little water into, it depends. Cask strength I'll cut about 1/3 with water which basically makes a liter out of a 750 since it's 105 proof. :) Johnnie Blue, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, and most others that are my absolute faves I don't add water. I never add ice as that really quells the flavor. Vodka and gin need to be cold for me to drink them, but Scotch is a blessed fluid and I can't stand to douse the flavor. :)

I guess if it's done sparingly and the end result is spectacular then I'll be able to handle "wasting" 18yo Scotch. :)

Well, the standard for Lagav is 16 years, (and where the hell are you seeing that for $40?? it's $100 at most of the liquor stores I've been to) though they also release a 12 year. And most scotch enthusiasts I know claim that unless you cut scotch with water/ice, you can't really get all the flavors from it, that it's too strong to really appreciate everything. I understand your pov, since I used to share it, but I have changed my gospel as of about 2 years ago. Of course, I'm poor enough that it's a rare occasion when I actually get to drink any scotch, and so I tend to enjoy simply having most of the pour before I switch over to enjoying the flavor.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
 
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby pollywog » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

For a cost to %age ratio, me and my mates usually go for a bottle of Hapsburg absinthe, and split the cost, and drink it fast, then continue drinking beer or rum and cola for the rest of the night.

Cost of absinthe: $50
Cost of beers: $18
Getting well smashed and breaking into the local corner store: 6 months.

But when the above plan isn't available, I get a bottle of wine and drink that for the night.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic
User avatar
pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount
 
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 10:10 am UTC
Location: Coolest little capital in the world

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby MotorToad » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:15 am UTC

22/7 wrote:Well, the standard for Lagav is 16 years, (and where the hell are you seeing that for $40?? it's $100 at most of the liquor stores I've been to) though they also release a 12 year. And most scotch enthusiasts I know claim that unless you cut scotch with water/ice, you can't really get all the flavors from it, that it's too strong to really appreciate everything. I understand your pov, since I used to share it, but I have changed my gospel as of about 2 years ago. Of course, I'm poor enough that it's a rare occasion when I actually get to drink any scotch, and so I tend to enjoy simply having most of the pour before I switch over to enjoying the flavor.
Yeah, 16, I don't have a bottle at the moment, I was going from memory. I don't recall saying it was $40, if so it was a typo, it's $80 here. $40 is where the 10-12yo Islay malts that I love start, though.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)
User avatar
MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:09 pm UTC
Location: Saint Joseph, CA

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:27 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:Yeah, 16, I don't have a bottle at the moment, I was going from memory. I don't recall saying it was $40, if so it was a typo, it's $80 here. $40 is where the 10-12yo Islay malts that I love start, though.
Ah yes, this time I was going from memory and was incorrect. You did say $80/bottle. I'm still a bit jealous, as it's $20 more here (and back home, odd). Apparently it was only about $45-50 until it became ridiculously popular in Japan, and so the supply plummeted here, raising the cost. My current favorite in the $40 range is the Glenlivet, btw.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
 
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby Flying Betty » Thu May 08, 2008 2:00 am UTC

Flying Betty wrote:Hmm, I might just have to wait until the violets start blooming to try this. I got a pack of the Howards mints and it smelled like the sort of thing that would be left in the bottom of Grandma's candy dish and tasted peculiar and not a bit like violet. Unless there's other easily accessible violet candy out there I think I'd rather use the actual flowers.


Woohoo! I remembered about this!

Problem is that my neighbors seem to be a little bit too lawn-y so violets are a bit hard to come by. I swiped a few out of the one yard that hadn't bothered to mow lately, but I didn't really want to steal all of their violets and I don't think I have enough yet. I found some in the nature park but I'm not about to steal flowers from there. Maybe I'll be lucky and there'll be some in the park down the road.

But I have my little handful of violets steeping in a small bit of Bacardi that I happened to have floating around. Is rum and violet likely to be a terrible combination? I don't have a god instinct for this sort of thing.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.
User avatar
Flying Betty
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:25 am UTC
Location: Next Tuesday

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby Matt » Thu May 08, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

Girl, Azrael, etc.: keep fighting the good fight against the horrors of trendy marketing

For a while there I was trying to compile a nice list of bottles where the quality-to-price curve peaked in every category from spirits to liqueurs to mixers, but I really don't have access to much selection or money. It seems to be that with a few exceptions, you need to spend at least 20 but not more than 30 for almost any bottle of spirits to get something worth spending time on.
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.
User avatar
Matt
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:01 am UTC
Location: behind the bottle of Campari

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby zenten » Thu May 08, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

I've found the vermouth makes for better "caesars" than vodka myself, especially if you use spicy Clamato.
zenten
 
Posts: 3797
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby GMontag » Thu May 08, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:
22/7 wrote:There's a drink called the "Berlin Stationmaster" which is basically what you guys have been describing, but a little more specific. It's 2 parts Bombay Sapphire to 1 part Lagavulin, and you simply shake it over ice (briefly) and poor it into a martini glass, ungarnished. It's delicious and, if you make it as a 12oz pregame drink, is a fantastic way to only have to buy a drink or two at the bar to feel schwasty.

If I EVER see someone mixing Lagavulin, I will punch that person right square in the center of his chest! :) At $80/bottle, it's not financially sound, either.


$80?! Where do you live that charges those exorbitant prices? Lagavulin is in the $50 range here, and WA state has some of the highest alcohol taxes in the nation.
GMontag
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:47 am UTC
Location: Bellingham, Washington

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby MotorToad » Tue May 13, 2008 12:33 pm UTC

GMontag wrote:
$80?! Where do you live that charges those exorbitant prices? Lagavulin is in the $50 range here, and WA state has some of the highest alcohol taxes in the nation.

Florida... And usually booze is cheaper here than in surrounding areas. Most 10-12 year Islay malts run about $40/bottle.

Hrm, Firefox just lost a point for not knowing "Islay."
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)
User avatar
MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:09 pm UTC
Location: Saint Joseph, CA

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby micco » Tue May 13, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

If I`m drinking alone, I`ll go with the cheapest cider or long-drink I can find.
If I`m drinking with friends, I usually buy something little more expencive, so I can`t afford to get too drunk. It`s a lot more fun to remember what you did last night with friends.
At bar I usally drink whiskey, because I´m not old enough to buy it from liquer store.

Also, if you want something to get you drunk fast, get some absinthe.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.
User avatar
micco
 
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:16 pm UTC
Location: Finland

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Now I just want a scotch on the rocks.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."
User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
 
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby shinybaby » Wed May 14, 2008 2:00 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Now I just want a scotch on the rocks.

wow, that sounds like a great idea!! :D maybe i'll indulge! yay for birthday scotch!!! :D

edit: you know, i think scotch might just taste that much better when the rocks are shaped like little skulls and crossed bones! another lovely little birthday present: pirate-y ice tray.
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!
User avatar
shinybaby
In-Tents
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:41 pm UTC
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby 3fj » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:I think I have a good deal from shop across the road, £5 for 2 bottles of 12% wine.
Plus Mixer of White Diamond Cider* 7.5% £1.50 (ASDA)
Plus Squash 13p (ASDA)
On occaision replace the cost of mixers for free, if there is alcohol left by other in the house overnight.

*Tramp

Asda vodka is only £6, plus the 13p squash.

micco wrote:Also, if you want something to get you drunk fast, get some absinthe.

pollywog wrote:For a cost to %age ratio, me and my mates usually go for a bottle of Hapsburg absinthe, and split the cost, and drink it fast, then continue drinking beer or rum and cola for the rest of the night.
But when the above plan isn't available, I get a bottle of wine and drink that for the night.


I second the above.
So much better! So much fun! Let's start from scratch and blow up the sun!
User avatar
3fj
 
Posts: 1684
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:13 pm UTC
Location: Land of Whisky and Bagpipes (LOWAB)

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby pooteeweet » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Back to the %/$ matter, I think the chart would be more useful if it dropped the price/state listings and just made a comparison of the common retail-sale volumes, crossed with their corresponding common alcohol contents.

And there's nothing wrong with (once in a while) drinking just to get drunk! I resent the implication that drinking on the cheap is reserved for degenerates who need to re-examine their priorities. (I also realize that I'm responding to comments from January. Oh well.)
Fish cannot carry guns.
User avatar
pooteeweet
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:56 am UTC
Location: small northeast hippy town

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby BomanTheBear » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

pooteeweet wrote:Back to the %/$ matter, I think the chart would be more useful if it dropped the price/state listings and just made a comparison of the common retail-sale volumes, crossed with their corresponding common alcohol contents.

And there's nothing wrong with (once in a while) drinking just to get drunk! I resent the implication that drinking on the cheap is reserved for degenerates who need to re-examine their priorities. (I also realize that I'm responding to comments from January. Oh well.)


Trudat. It's great to just experience the fuck-upedness from time to time.

For those times, I go with ice-cold foties. Tastes liek Satan's piss. But four for 7 bucks may very well be the best value you can do. 6%.
BomanTheBear
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby pooteeweet » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:03 am UTC

There are two things you can do to dramatically improve the taste of cheap forties.

1) Make a Brass Monkey (or, as I've dubbed it--and if this term becomes popularized, I coined it!--the Poor Man's Mimosa): Drink your forty down to the top of the label, then fill it back up to the top with orange juice. I'm always surprised by how many people haven't heard of this. It sounds suspicious, but is startlingly tasty.

2) Instead of drinking your forty straight from the bottle, which results in the last 20oz becoming tepid and flat, pour it into a glass and refrigerate the rest, refilling your glass as needed. Much of the nastiness of a forty comes from that second half of the bottle being all warm and disgusting.
Fish cannot carry guns.
User avatar
pooteeweet
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:56 am UTC
Location: small northeast hippy town

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby BomanTheBear » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

pooteeweet wrote:1) Make a Brass Monkey (or, as I've dubbed it--and if this term becomes popularized, I coined it!--the Poor Man's Mimosa): Drink your forty down to the top of the label, then fill it back up to the top with orange juice. I'm always surprised by how many people haven't heard of this. It sounds suspicious, but is startlingly tasty.



This is where I first heard of it. And it is indeed delicious.
BomanTheBear
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby blackrose » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:28 am UTC

Reading this thread has made me miss the parties in my dorm. I'm so glad that school is around the corner. I'm also happy since I have a job and can afford to get middle or top shelf alcohol now. Now I need to work on the whole age and maturity thing, lol.
I don't watch 24 hour news channels because they are retarded.
User avatar
blackrose
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:42 pm UTC
Location: Emorium et Henricense Collegium

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby pollywog » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:26 am UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:
pooteeweet wrote:Back to the %/$ matter, I think the chart would be more useful if it dropped the price/state listings and just made a comparison of the common retail-sale volumes, crossed with their corresponding common alcohol contents.

And there's nothing wrong with (once in a while) drinking just to get drunk! I resent the implication that drinking on the cheap is reserved for degenerates who need to re-examine their priorities. (I also realize that I'm responding to comments from January. Oh well.)


Trudat. It's great to just experience the fuck-upedness from time to time.

For those times, I go with ice-cold foties. Tastes liek Satan's piss. But four for 7 bucks may very well be the best value you can do. 6%.


My 19th birthday. 2 bottles of $25 tequila, one bottle $40 tequila. Lots of corona and and Sol. I put down $150 on a night I won't even remember (hopefully). Also, new strip club opening in town.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic
User avatar
pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount
 
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 10:10 am UTC
Location: Coolest little capital in the world

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby BomanTheBear » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:35 pm UTC

pollywog wrote:
My 19th birthday. 2 bottles of $25 tequila, one bottle $40 tequila. Lots of corona and and Sol. I put down $150 on a night I won't even remember (hopefully). Also, new strip club opening in town.


godDAMN.
BomanTheBear
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

Re: Cost to %proof ratio.

Postby pollywog » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:
pollywog wrote:
My 19th birthday. 2 bottles of $25 tequila, one bottle $40 tequila. Lots of corona and and Sol. I put down $150 on a night I won't even remember (hopefully). Also, new strip club opening in town.


godDAMN.


We didn't even start on the higher cost tequila (Pepe Lopez). I started drinking around 3, spewed 10 - 15 times, blew out the candles on my cake, spewed, passed out at about 6, woke up at 8, 9, or 10, I can't remember, did something until we caught the bus at 11, went clubbing, to pubs and bars, and the new strip club. I have more blank spots than actual memories.

Got some pretty cool birthday presents though.

The actual cost of the whole night was closer to $500, but I hve no freaking clue where most of it went.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic
User avatar
pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount
 
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 10:10 am UTC
Location: Coolest little capital in the world

Previous

Return to Food

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests