Pepsi
23%
some bizarre brand nobody's heard of/cares about
24%

Total votes: 246

clintonius

Re: Soda War

Postby clintonius » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:I figured you weren't. I've never really been a fan of colas, so my vote is actually in that gray area.

I almost never drink the stuff straight. Maybe sometimes I feel like having a coke to wash down certain foods (like McDonald's. Yeah, there's something to be proud of. . .), but usually it serves as a mixer for me.

What manner of soft drink do you prefer?
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

clintonius wrote:I almost never drink the stuff straight. Maybe sometimes I feel like having a coke to wash down certain foods (like McDonald's. Yeah, there's something to be proud of. . .), but usually it serves as a mixer for me.

I've often found that Coke goes best with most "junk" foods, mainly hamburgers/cheeseburgers, pizza, fried chicken (although sweet tea goes good with that as well), and other similar rapidly-prepared gastrointestinal atrocities. Sweet tea just doesn't cut it sometimes. You have to have the carbonated water with artificial flavoring to help offset the fatty-greasy goodness.
PRG

An important message for you:

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:
clintonius wrote:I almost never drink the stuff straight. Maybe sometimes I feel like having a coke to wash down certain foods (like McDonald's. Yeah, there's something to be proud of. . .), but usually it serves as a mixer for me.

I've often found that Coke goes best with most "junk" foods, mainly hamburgers/cheeseburgers, pizza, fried chicken (although sweet tea goes good with that as well), and other similar rapidly-prepared gastrointestinal atrocities. Sweet tea just doesn't cut it sometimes. You have to have the carbonated water with artificial flavoring to help offset the fatty-greasy goodness.
Funny story, I would actually agree, but I would substitute orange juice. This stems mostly from the fact that I used to drink milk with everything (and I do mean everything), but found out that I basically had to start severely limiting my lactose intake due to my asthma, so I switched over to calcium fortified OJ, and now I can drink it with just about everything (the same way many people can drink coke/pepsi).
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:41 am UTC

22/7 wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:

Funny story, I would actually agree, but I would substitute orange juice. This stems mostly from the fact that I used to drink milk with everything (and I do mean everything), but found out that I basically had to start severely limiting my lactose intake due to my asthma, so I switched over to calcium fortified OJ, and now I can drink it with just about everything (the same way many people can drink coke/pepsi).

And for me go ahead and substitute "rum" for "orange juice." Ahem.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

Bit of an old thread, but I voted Coke over Pepsi, even though to me it's choosing the lesser of two evils. I honestly like the carbonation in Coke more than Pepsi. Texture is a big factor in what I consume.

My favorite fizzy drink is San Pellegrino Limonata. 12 percent pure lemon juice which makes it nice and sour :mrgreen:
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:01 am UTC

Coke made with pure cane sugar in a glass bottle, tastes so much better than the common high fructos variety.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

My roommate and I go a taqueria up the street that sells 'Mexican Coke', which is essentially Coke that's bottled for Mexico. It's a Liter (Litre? I think Litre, actually) and in a glass bottle, and he (and a number of other friends) claim that it's much better than American Coke. Any idea if this is similar to the Coke mentioned by niko?

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:My roommate and I go a taqueria up the street that sells 'Mexican Coke', which is essentially Coke that's bottled for Mexico. It's a Liter (Litre? I think Litre, actually) and in a glass bottle, and he (and a number of other friends) claim that it's much better than American Coke. Any idea if this is similar to the Coke mentioned by niko?

Yes, it is. I think I made reference to the Mexican Coke back on the first page. You can even order it online here, if there isn't a taqueria close by, or if there is one, they don't sell Mexican Coke.
PRG

An important message for you:

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:20 am UTC

Mmm, I was able to get "real" Coke in Central America (the kind made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup), and hot damn was it tasty. 'Course, the clerk usually insists on putting it in a bag if you're not going to sit down to drink it right then and there, which sort of ruins the magic.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

We have coke as close to on tap as you can in a domestic home: a constant supply.

We buy 8 2L bottles every few weeks.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:My roommate and I go a taqueria up the street that sells 'Mexican Coke', which is essentially Coke that's bottled for Mexico. It's a Liter (Litre? I think Litre, actually) and in a glass bottle, and he (and a number of other friends) claim that it's much better than American Coke. Any idea if this is similar to the Coke mentioned by niko?

That's what I buy, Costco sells packs of 24 and our local grocery store sells them individually.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

Kaienne

Postby Kaienne » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:13 am UTC

I think Jones Cola Cream Soda probably trumps everything on my list. I can't really stand Coke nor Pepsi, and many sodas make me rather ill. Brio (Italian chinotto soda) is really tasty, and Grace pineapple soda is like sunshine in a bottle. Occasionally I'll indulge myself with a Dr. Pepper, although this is fairly rare.

Decker wrote:My favorite fizzy drink is San Pellegrino Limonata. 12 percent pure lemon juice which makes it nice and sour :mrgreen:

OM NOM NOM NOM

poleboy

Postby poleboy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

Coke, because of Cherry Coke. I've had a life-long fascination with that. Mostly though, I drink cheap knock-off brands because I don't really care that much.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

Cheerwine reporting for duty, sir.

Alder

Postby Alder » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:54 am UTC

If for some reason I really need the caffeine...it has to be Irn Bru. Sweet, fruity and a recommended hangover cure. So I'm told...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irn_Bru

Banned in the US apparently. :shock:
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:02 pm UTC

IRN BRU Wikipedia Article wrote:It is also produced under licence, without caffeine, in Australia.
Sigh. And yet I'm not about to start buying it imported again.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:24 pm UTC

Alder26 wrote:If for some reason I really need the caffeine...it has to be Irn Bru. Sweet, fruity and a recommended hangover cure. So I'm told...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irn_Bru

Banned in the US apparently. :shock:

As my mither used tae say tae me, "skeck the stain on that rug! imagine what its doing to your stomach!"
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Encarnacion

Postby Encarnacion » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

Well, if we are talking USA soft drinks, i'll go with Dr Pepper, but it is really difficult to find in small towns in Mexico. But what I really enjoy are a whole bunch of Mexican sodas, which typically don't have caffeine, so they are potable after dark. There are different types of apple flavored sodas, some that actually use apple in them, like Manzanita Sol. I also like Sangría flavored Señorial. I'll usually dilute these with a little water as they are too sweet by themselves.
Can't drink anything diet, as it does VERY BAD things to certain vital organs of my body.

MirrorWing
Location: The tile adjacent to Ceiling Cat's, watchin' you masturbate.

Postby MirrorWing » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:36 am UTC

Well, as far as cola goes, I have to say either coke out of the classic glass coke bottle (As the OP said), or BJ's generic brand cola. It is incredibly tasty for something so cheap, and my roommate and I have thusly dubbed it "crack-a-cola" because it is cracklike and we can never remember it's real brand name.

Actually, the whole out-of-a-glass-bottle thing reminds me... I used to work in a place on campus called the Rathskellar. Sort of a late-night eatery 7-11 convienence store type of place. Anyway, this one night, a girl came in and proceeded to buy:

- A glass-bottled coke
- A plastic-bottled coke
- A can of coke
- A paper cup of coke from the soda fountain.

She did so solely for the purpose of seeing if one was better than the others. Since me and the other cashiers thought this was hilarious and effing brilliant, we asked her to come back when she had the results of her taste testing. She did, and told us she had come to the conclusion that, in order from best to worst, they ranked:

1) Glass-bottled
2) Plastic-bottled
3) Canned
4) Soda fountain

Which didn't surprise any of us in the least, since I've seen the "coke syrup" they use in the fountain, and exactly where in the backroom we kept that part of the machine... not pretty. Very sticky.
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Image <--My life in a nutshell.

Spoiler:

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:03 am UTC

They are different, but I tend to find them hard to rank. (although I'd pretty much agree with that order, except that I love coke in a can. Maybe just because it is most often ice cold from vending machines. Bottles don't seem to be.) Sometimes I really crave a nasty watered down post-mix Coca-Cola. Which is pretty much the only reason I'll visit a Maccas.

I'm also convinced that with the large plastic bottles (1.25 L, 1.5 L, 2 L) there is a slight difference in taste between them. This may be in my head.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:03 am UTC

Well, she was referring to the small, individual-sized bottles, like the kind you'd get out of a vending machine. We didn't sell the larger bottles there.

I don't know, I guess I got so used to the tste of bottles coke that the canned stuff just doesn't do it for me anymore. The can seems to add a slight twang to the taste...
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Spoiler:

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:13 pm UTC

Coke as pepsi tastes....'cheap'
Best out of a glass bottle, ice cold. Especially for waking up in the mornings; its better than coffee! (though I hate coffee, so...)
Soft drink because I live off the stuff (screw water; havnt drunk it for more than a month. Or cordial. Or fruit juice....Only a bit of chocolate milk....)
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

MirrorWing wrote:1) Glass-bottled
2) Plastic-bottled
3) Canned
4) Soda fountain
I actually found that very interesting, because a number of my Texas friends (who are predictably addicted to Dr. Pepper) swear by fountain DP.
ACU-LP wrote: (screw water; havnt drunk it for more than a month. Or cordial. Or fruit juice....Only a bit of chocolate milk....)
That's... terrible.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
ACU-LP wrote: (screw water; havnt drunk it for more than a month. Or cordial. Or fruit juice....Only a bit of chocolate milk....)
That's... terrible.

You know, I've been drinking mostly juice ($1 apple juice at the local Save-a-lot, whooo!), powdered drink mixes (Because they last FOREVER), and soda (That friends bring over, mostly). I just can't STAND plain water. I was never really raised to drink it, and now it bothers me to drink something that has no taste. o__o I know it's better for me, but it's like drinking cold, slimy air. Yergh.

@ ACU-LP: What exactly is cordial? I read your post and all I could think of was "cherry cordiak", but I can't put picture to the phrase... (And I'm too lay to google. Shame on me, I know).

Spoiler:

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

MirrorWing wrote:
22/7 wrote:
That's... terrible.

You know, I've been drinking mostly juice ($1 apple juice at the local Save-a-lot, whooo!), powdered drink mixes (Because they last FOREVER), and soda (That friends bring over, mostly). I just can't STAND plain water. I was never really raised to drink it, and now it bothers me to drink something that has no taste. o__o I know it's better for me, but it's like drinking cold, slimy air. Yergh.

@ ACU-LP: What exactly is cordial? I read your post and all I could think of was "cherry cordiak", but I can't put picture to the phrase... (And I'm too lay to google. Shame on me, I know).

Cordial is a concentrate flavour not-quite-syrup stuff....have you heard of ribena? its like the make it yourself one they have of that; a little bit of the concentrate liquid, and about five times as much water.
Also, I just cant stand the flavour of water (it tastes different in different places, but it never tastes good. Except for one place in the outback; wilpena pound. The water there...for some reason is delicious). Also, except for the water in that place, all water makes me feel ill and bloated.
Normally I drink cordial instead of water....but recently (despite it getting hotter here in Australia, I just havnt felt the need for it; I drink cordial when I need water / am feeling dehydrated).
Soda can be found so cheap (if you know where to look). Also, some of the no-name brands taste really good.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:21 am UTC

ACU-LP wrote:Also, some of the no-name brands taste really good.

Like I said earlier, BJ's brand coca-cola is AMAZING. I really like it better than Coke or Pepsi. And the ONLY Publix soda I don't like is their black cherry soda, but then, I've only had one can, and it was warm...

Winn Dixie soda, however, largely tastes like crap. Especially their idea of "Mountain Dew Code Red". Tastes like cough syrup, but for half the price of MDCR, I'm willing to pretend otherwise.

Spoiler:

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:54 am UTC

You people are crazy. Water is delicious. Enjoy your diabetes.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:59 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:You people are crazy. Water is delicious. Enjoy your diabetes.

I will. I will enjoy it sugar-coated and slathered in hot fudge.

Spoiler:

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:06 am UTC

MirrorWing wrote:

Seconded.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:02 am UTC

I'm just curious as to how water makes you feel bloated. I drink three things at work: coffee, soda, and water. The only days I don't feel like shit in my intestinal region (c whut i did thar?) are the days I emphasize water.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:
MirrorWing wrote:

Seconded.
Let me amend Bakemaster's statement, then. Enjoy your footless diabetes.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:Let me amend Bakemaster's statement, then. Enjoy your footless diabetes.

Well, by the time I lose my foot, technology will clearly be advanced enough to give me a Skywalker-quality prosthetic. Or a floating jet chair. Whichever comes first.

After all, we're owed some technology, since we passed the dawn of the new milennium and didn't get the Jetsons-style flying cars like we were promised.

Spoiler:

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

If, as a result of your default choice of liquid refreshment, you at some future point acquire any "Skywalker-quality prosthetic" or "floating jet chair", I will recant my above assertion as to your mental state.

But water is still delicious. And your soda is full of it.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:But water is still delicious. And your soda is full of it.

*GASP* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That's impossible!!

Spoiler:

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:But water is still delicious. And your soda is full of it.

I don't think water qualifies as delicious. It takes like vodka, which is to say that it doesn't taste at all if it's pure enough. Water either tastes like nothing or it tastes like impurities, neither of which are especially delicious.
That said, I do drink a lot more water than soda, but that's because, even after the price of a filter, it's a lot cheaper.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

The definition of "delicious" does not requre the subject to have any particular taste.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:30 pm UTC

must. . . resist. . . pedantry. . .
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

Go ahead, do your worst. Here, I'll fire the first shot:
clintonius wrote:must… resist… pedantry…

fix'd

poprocks and coke

Postby poprocks and coke » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:04 pm UTC

I find both Coke and Pepsi nasty. The only sodas I can tolerate are grape soda and Sprite. And as been mentioned before, IZZE is pretty cool.

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:27 am UTC

I'm watching you guys.

IZZE is pretty cool.

I'm a little disappointed; IZZE has always been fantastic. Now it has quietly become IZZE Fortified, and I haven't picked up any because I'm afraid it will taste like vitamin B. Can anyone assuage my fears?
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.

Return to “Food”