Buffalo Sauce Recipes!!

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

kid c

Buffalo Sauce Recipes!!

Postby kid c » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:29 am UTC

Hello all, for the past two or so years buffalo chicken sammiches have slowly become my favorite food item, and now I find myself ordering them pretty much wherever I see one on the menu.

Oh but it doesn't stop there, I am slowly expanding my interests to include anything drizzled in buffalo sauce! Wraps, salads, pita, what-have-yous.

Now what I request is suggestions or recipes for making delicious buffalo sauce, or preparing good foods with it. And not just something you found online, I could do that. I want recipes you have tried and that you know are good!

...please? :D
The Ninja Ken: A webcomic about office life, video games, and man love
http://theninjaken.com/

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Re: Buffalo Sauce Recipes!!

Postby Azrael » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:53 am UTC

Alton Brown's buffalo wings

Yes, the are supplied to you via the internet. But they are *from* Alton Brown. They are good.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Frank's Hot Sauce

Melted butter

Mix to the desired hotness.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

My buffalo sauce recipe:

-99 parts Frank's Hot Sauce
-1 part some random hot sauce I have lying around that's in the ballpark of dave's insanity or hotter depending on my mood.

parts to taste.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

reflectia

Postby reflectia » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Frank's Hot Sauce

Melted butter

Especially with chicken wings. Yum.
I accidentally divided by zero and my paper burst into flames.

kid c

Postby kid c » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

Thanks guys, these sound like solid idears. Next time I get motivated enough to go buy food I will be looking into it!
The Ninja Ken: A webcomic about office life, video games, and man love
http://theninjaken.com/

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:04 am UTC

Azrael wrote:Alton Brown's buffalo wings

Yes, the are supplied to you via the internet. But they are *from* Alton Brown. They are good.

I tried this recipe the other night, and although the cooking method worked very well, I have some criticisms. This is a very mild recipe when you make it with Frank's or generic hot sauce. Needs a lot more heat. The other problem I had was the thinness of the sauce—it has to cool, apparently, to thicken before you toss it with the wings.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
Azrael wrote:Alton Brown's buffalo wings

I tried this recipe the other night, and although the cooking method worked very well, I have some criticisms. This is a very mild recipe when you make it with Frank's or generic hot sauce. Needs a lot more heat. The other problem I had was the thinness of the sauce—it has to cool, apparently, to thicken before you toss it with the wings.

A way it could be fixed would be to cut out the butter, and just let the hot sauce reduce on its own. Heck, you don't even need to cook it "melting-chocolate" style with that. We always did that in the restaurant I worked at when a customer ordered wings "as hot as we could make them". This is the recipe:

- Hunan peppers
- Fresh squeezed lemon
- Frank's Red Hot sauce

1.) Set wok on open flame of stove, and let it heat up to smoking.
2.) Add ~0.5 tsp of vegetable oil, and add diced hunan peppers (amount of hunans depends on desired level of heat)
3.) Allow hunans to blister for approximately 15-30 seconds.
4.) Add Frank's Red Hot sauce. Add 1.5-2 times as much sauce as you would normally need for the amount of wings you are making.
5.) Allow hot sauce to reduce down by 25%, and add lemon juice to sauce.
6.) Continue to reduce sauce until it is reduced to the normal amount of sauce you would need for the amount of wings you are making.

There is no need to let this sauce cool before tossing with the wings. By the way, the Frank's Red Hot sauce can be replace with Frank's Crazy Hot sauce (or whatever it's called) for spicier results.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

The Alton Brown recipe doesn't actually reduce the sauce at all, it just has you combine the melted butter and hot sauce, which is why it was thin and needed to cool. I probably would have put it on the stove but I was in a hurry.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:19 am UTC

Doesn't that mean it's just a recipe to cut down the heat of Frank's Red Hot Sauce?
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:03 pm UTC

So, are there any recipes that don't involve using another hot sauce?

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

zenten wrote:So, are there any recipes that don't involve using another hot sauce?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jalapeno-H ... etail.aspx

That's just the first hit on Google that came up when I typed in "hot sauce from scratch".

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

zenten wrote:So, are there any recipes that don't involve using another hot sauce?

not any GOOD recipes
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:...

Doesn't that mean it's just a recipe to cut down the heat of Frank's Red Hot Sauce?

I guess so. I was really expecting a little more from Alton Brown, but I haven't seen the episode, and he usually explains all the sciencey stuff and rationale for the recipe there. I can't find it on any streaming sites, unfotunately; it's from January, which seems too recent.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

From Az's link:

See this recipe on air Monday May. 19 at 8:00 PM ET/PT

It hasn't even aired yet? I guess that would explain why you wouldn't be able to find it...

EDIT: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea ... 76,00.html

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:38 am UTC

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

Melted butter

I've never been able to figure out how to mix in a negative amount of an ingredient - perhaps you could share with us the secret?

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:

Melted butter

I've never been able to figure out how to mix in a negative amount of an ingredient - perhaps you could share with us the secret?

I think the idea is that if you're too much of a pansy for Frank's, you can add some butter to cut the heat. ;)

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:11 am UTC

That, and buffalo sauce actually requires a certain buttery-ness to it.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:49 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:That, and buffalo sauce actually requires a certain buttery-ness to it.

I think the "buttery-ness" is covered by the saltiness of the sauce, and the fact that the wings are already greasy from being DEEP-FRIED.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:07 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:That, and buffalo sauce actually requires a certain buttery-ness to it.

Right, but it also requires a certain hot-ness to it, and adding butter (thus reducing the proportion of hot stuff) is going in the wrong direction for most people from a baseline of Frank's.

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:

Right, but it also requires a certain hot-ness to it, and adding butter (thus reducing the proportion of hot stuff) is going in the wrong direction for most people from a baseline of Frank's.

Agreed. See my recipe.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:

I think the "buttery-ness" is covered by the saltiness of the sauce, and the fact that the wings are already greasy from being DEEP-FRIED.

You're deep-frying wrong.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
mathmagic wrote:

You're deep-frying wrong.

So's your face!

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:25 am UTC

Random832 wrote:

A good point. I tend to use Frank's Extra-Hot, or just plain-old Tabasco brand hot sauce.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

Being FROM Buffalo N.Y, I feel that I have to throw in my two cents, even if this thread is a bit old.

Franks Red hot sauce is really the key. You NEED Franks or at least something very similar for real Buffalo sauce. If you think it's not hot enough, you can mix in some red pepper powder or let it reduce for a little while over heat. If you think it's too hot, melt some butter into it. I like throwing in a little garlic, salt, and grated Parmesan cheese in it too, but that's just me.

Also, anything with franks red hot sauce is pretty good with a little blue cheese dressing on it as well. I don't know if it's the thing anywhere else in America, but here in Buffalo we ALWAYS get a little cup of blue cheese dressing with our wings. This also helps to kill the heat, but it really is tasty even if you like hot stuff.

One thing that people might have a hard time understanding is that Buffalo style does NOT necessarily mean "hot as hell". There is NOTHING wrong with "mild" buffalo sauce. It still has to have SOME heat to it, but it doesn't have to be "Look at how manly I am" spicy. I know a restaurant that I went to in Virginia did not understand this and eating their "Buffalo" wings was like having a bottle of capsasin (spelling? ) rammed down my throat. They did not use Franks. I died a little inside.

Anyway, my recipe. No amounts given because I never measure when making.

Franks Red Hot Sauce
Melted butter to taste
Pinch of garlic powder
Pinch of salt (I like Kosher, but whatever)
Pinch or two of Parmesan cheese.

(Purists will tell you that its JUST hot sauce and butter and nothing else, but I like what I like)

Mix together in a big bowel, preferably metal, as the hot sauce can stain plastic.
Put chicken wings / nuggets / finger / whatever in bowel
Cover bowl with a lid with a good fit
Shake, shake, and shake some more until evenly coated.
Plate and pour extra sauce over food
Eat.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:25 am UTC

Blue cheese dressing or dip is definitely served with hot wings at every place I can ever remember having them.

Bit of advice, though—do not even think about skimping in that area if you're making your own. Get something chunky and meant for dipping, not a $2 bottle of salad dressing that was on sale. That shit is barely edible.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

This is the recipe I used last week.

1 cup Franks X-Tra Hot hot-sauce
1 stick butter (melted)

Mix butter and hot sauce in a pot on middling heat. Bring to simmer and reduce to desired consistency and hotness (note that it only gets hotter as it simmers!).

Return to “Food”