Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

dubsola

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Postby dubsola » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

Judging by your location, you're in Wales. In that case, you'll find very quickly that a pint of American porter is likely to cost between £5 and £10. I'm sorry to say, I've yet to taste one worth that much. Don't get me wrong, I have tasted some delicious ones, but not significantly more delicious than UK porters.

Do you have a good beer store near you? I've recently enjoyed Brodie's London Porter. Brodie's is a new brewery in East London and every beer I've had by them has been excellent. But hard to find. Wychwood beers are fairly easy to come by in the UK, try some of them. St Peters is another reasonably widely distributed beer, buy them. They're all great.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:44 pm UTC

Also, there are likely some good local beers that people in the rest of the UK (and especially America) won't have heard of.

Edit: Isn't grythyttan Scandinavian? Or am I mixing it up?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

There are definitely many excellent but unknown beers to be found in pubs in the UK. I just figured he'd want some specific names. Also, it's harder to find porters and stouts than bitters in most pubs I've come across. That's not to say there aren't any, up north is particularly good about having darker beers.

And I don't know if he's Scandinavian, I just looked at his (or her) location and assumed it was Welsh.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

Ah, pubs are always hit or miss on the beer selection (they generally have at least one good example of a type of beer though, the trick is working it out). I wasn't thinking about that though, I was thinking about the types of wine/liquor shops that generally have a selection of beers, especially local ones, and large supermarkets will have bottles of most types of beer in them.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

That's true.

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:19 pm UTC

Ah, my location. I'm swedish, and the weird scrambled thing below my avatar is my actual adress which has been encrypted. The pub run by what most closely resembles my nation is pretty good when it comes to beer. It has a lot of the stuff from flying dog brewery, among them the road porter mentioned. I think they have something from st peters as well, but I'm not sure.

As for stores, systembolaget has a monopoly on selling alcohol. Getting some of the less widely distributed brands would be a bit difficult and probably require getting some friends together to order a box. Anyway, thanks for the ideas, I'll see how much of this I can get my hands on. :)
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

If you're living close to southern sweden you really need to pop over to Copenhagen and visist Barley Wine at Læderstrædet 16

I really, really love that store, has a wonderful selection and the owner is a really nice guy (if a bit on the old side) that knows basically everything there is to know about beer - every time I have money to spare I walk in and say something along the lines of "hey Jan, I've brought $80 today, what do you think I should taste?" and let him pick out the beers for me, sometimes I get something I don't really like, but most of the times I get a handful of wonderful surprises. Basically, if it is well known and widely available, he doesn't have it.

Mikkellers Dark is a bit beyond what I can handle in a porter (brought to 18%, is incredible strong in taste, cost a bloody fortune ($17) for 0.7L too!), but Great Divides Jeti is wonderful, I don't think he has at the moment as the danish importer has died. Amagerbryghus porter is really great too, and their IPA's are among the best I know, except for lagunitas IPA really.

Another good option in Copenhagen is to go by Ørsted ølbar (Ørsted beerhouse for the english minded), cost me a fortune every time I go there.. Usually followed by someone from the bank calling me and asking me if someone has nicked my creditcard :(
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:26 am UTC

Ah, Sweden. Where you can't buy any beer higher than 3.5% in a supermarket. On the plus side, a lot of brewers have altered their beer to fit this restriction. I must say that porters don't taste quite as good like that. Shame. However, I did see some pretty good beers there (supermarket in Stockholm), including some from Wychwood, so give those a go.

I found some great beers the other day, brewed in Denmark and coming in a variety of styles. They were tasty but very expensive (£4 a bottle). Can't remember the name.

Flying Dog beers are pretty good too.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:47 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Flying Dog beers are pretty good too.
Although if that's the 'best' quality regional US brewery you can find, I'm disappointed. They're good, but I never would have considered them 'export to opposite end of the world' good.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
dubsola wrote:Flying Dog beers are pretty good too.
Although if that's the 'best' quality regional US brewery you can find, I'm disappointed. They're good, but I never would have considered them 'export to opposite end of the world' good.

Well, I'm in the UK - it's "just" across the Atlantic. And they're not particularly easy to find, the kinds of places that sell it also sell Brew Dog, Rogue and various others.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

I forgot Flying Dog is in Maryland. I was thinking about Abita near New Orleans. New Orleans to Sweden meets my personal 'opposite end of the world' criteria, which is certainly not the most accurate metric.

Although Abita is better than Flying Dog, so *they* might actually be worth it?

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:30 pm UTC

I've not come across Abita before.

What do you think of the Brew Dog beers?

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:51 pm UTC

Seems like exports are never as good as they are brewed wherever they're from - people say Guinness is actually good in Ireland, for example.
I don't know what to do for you

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:What do you think of the Brew Dog beers?
That's the nuclear penguin guys? I haven't come across any.

Honestly, I'm not impressed with the general concept. I like funky beers for the sake of the craftsmanship or the "I wonder what would happen if?" factor. That strikes me as being controversial in a flamboyant guerrilla marketing sort of way.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:47 pm UTC

TNP isn't even their strongest. After a German brewery beat them, they decided to Sink the Bismark!

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:06 pm UTC

Color me continually unimpressed.

Don't get me wrong, I love Dogfish and their continued efforts to play around the very edges of 'beer' with things like Palo Santo or the color series in the 750ml bottles. But they're doing for the love of beer, not as a stunt.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:00 pm UTC

I read a bit on their website, but didn't find anything on how they actually achieve that kind of alcohol percentage... it mentions reducing the temperature to -20*C - then what? They filter out the ice crystals?

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

Yup, it's called freeze distillation. Well, actually it's fractional distillation, but only the chemists will mind if we use the boorish nomenclature. Lots of people will have lots of vehemently opposed opinions on whether it's still 'beer' after undergoing the process.

It's not new either. It's how applejack is made -- and named too. 'Jacking' (not sure how or why) is what they used to call the freeze process.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

Maybe because you're jacking up the alcohol content? I think you can call that beer as much as you could call rum "molasses beer".

My personal batch is coming along nicely - the primary fermentation went quite well, and I managed to rack it without spilling too much on the floor... it's a nice dark red and cleared up very nicely. Pouring the boiled wort into ice water in the fermenter allowed a lot of the suspended junk (proteins mostly, I think) to congeal and sink to the bottom. I'm supposed to wait patiently for two weeks before bottling, and so far that's been the biggest challenge.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

Surely fractional distillation would refer both to how vodka and applejack is made? Freeze distillation seems a reasonable name, the Wikipedia article is named "Fractional Freezing".

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:31 am UTC

uncivlengr wrote:Seems like exports are never as good as they are brewed wherever they're from - people say Guinness is actually good in Ireland, for example.

I hear Heineken is even pretty good in the Netherlands.

I had the Brew Dog/Stone/Cambridge collaboration Juxtaposition black lager the other day, it was pretty good.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:09 am UTC

Emerson's of NZ is making Taieri George regularly now :D I'd thought it was one of their limited seasonals, but here it was years later with 2010 on the label. (The photo I took to send to sheol killed my mobile phone. That's like the Chuck Norris of beers.) It didn't taste exactly as I remembered, but damn it was delicious :) If only they'll make the Sour Cherry Brown more widely available, my joy will be complete.

Also, currently drinking St Peters Ruby Red, which is always delightful.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:
uncivlengr wrote:... people say Guinness is actually good in Ireland, for example.

I hear Heineken is even pretty good in the Netherlands.
I've had Guiness in Ireland. It tasted like Guiness, but I think that exported Guiness is a pretty solid starting point anyhow.

Becks in Germany still sucked though.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

I went to the Guinness Factory when I was in Ireland...I had fanta (because I'm gluten intolerant), but I could have Jameson's at that factory so it wasn't an entirely wasted venture...

But I've been told that the reason that Guinness tastes better in Ireland is just because it's fresher and that the turnover of the kegs in the bars is much higher than it is in ....well anywhere that isn't Ireland. (This from my friend's husband who works in the advertising department for whichever umbrella thing has Guinness here)--though he is from Ireland.
Rice Puddin.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:16 am UTC

Azrael wrote:
dubsola wrote:What do you think of the Brew Dog beers?
That's the nuclear penguin guys? I haven't come across any.

Honestly, I'm not impressed with the general concept. I like funky beers for the sake of the craftsmanship or the "I wonder what would happen if?" factor. That strikes me as being controversial in a flamboyant guerrilla marketing sort of way.

I actually have no idea what you're talking about, I've never paid attention to the marketing of their beers. The reason I asked is last summer I wanted a nice summery IPA to drink, the beer store man recommended the Brew Dog IPA (garish blue label) and the Flying Dog IPA (another crazy label), I enjoyed the Brew Dog very much, the Flying Dog not quite as much.

Amarantha wrote:Also, currently drinking St Peters Ruby Red, which is always delightful.

Again, St Peters = the business. Am pleased to hear they've made it to Melbourne.

Azrael wrote:Becks in Germany still sucked though.

Whenever I see someone drinking Becks I assume they have given up on all flavour. That green bottle is a white flag, surrendering to flavour.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

The only good thing those bottles have done is bear "Love music hate racism" adverts.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:17 am UTC

I'm bottling my latest batch of home brew. I'll know in two weeks or so whether or not my sanitation procedures were sufficient this time.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:33 am UTC

Coffee wrote:I'll know in two weeks or so whether or not my sanitation procedures were sufficient this time.

Have they not been in the past? I bought Star San for mine - it's a disinfectant, but unlike bleach, it doesn't have a harsh smell and you don't even need to rinse it... just spray it on, wait a few minutes, and use.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:39 pm UTC

First few batches were good but the last one tasted like I'd cheesegratered it through the back end of a skunk.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:03 am UTC

Do you cover the carboy, or keep it in the dark? Sounds like it's getting too much light, rather than it being an issue of sanitation.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:07 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:TNP isn't even their strongest. After a German brewery beat them, they decided to Sink the Bismark!

The only thing I find ridiculous about that is the government official decrying the brewery as "irresponsible." Nobody calls a distiller irresponsible! High alcohol beers have been on the scene for probably well over a decade. And trust me, hooligans looking to get hammered won't shell out forty quid for that.

I've had the Brew Dog IPA and I thought it was pretty damn good. My tastes run towards the bitter end of the spectrum, and the brewers here (ontario) only go for malty IPAs it seems.

Luckily there's Quebec. Returning to the topic of high-alcohol brews, I'm gonna crack a bottle of Trois Mousquetaires Weizenbock with a buddy this weekend. It's 11%. And comes in a corked 750ml bottle. Just as strong as wine but half the price 8)

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

the_stabbage wrote:
The only thing I find ridiculous about that is the government official decrying the brewery as "irresponsible." Nobody calls a distiller irresponsible! High alcohol beers have been on the scene for probably well over a decade. And trust me, hooligans looking to get hammered won't shell out forty quid for that.

Yeah, when I read about government decrying the brewing I looked at the price and facepalmed. No one is going to willing to spend the amount of money it would take to binge on those beers.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Fri May 07, 2010 3:23 am UTC

One brew that I really like and have a helluva hard time finding sometimes: Arrogant Bastard.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:30 am UTC

Coffee wrote:One brew that I really like and have a helluva hard time finding sometimes: Arrogant Bastard.

...or even better Oaked Arrogant Bastard.

This really bothers me about Illinois, now that I have moved here. They have Arrogant Bastard at nearly every liquor store in Wisconsin, but have yet to see it here.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Fri May 07, 2010 5:33 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Coffee wrote:One brew that I really like and have a helluva hard time finding sometimes: Arrogant Bastard.

...or even better Oaked Arrogant Bastard.

This really bothers me about Illinois, now that I have moved here. They have Arrogant Bastard at nearly every liquor store in Wisconsin, but have yet to see it here.

Arrogant Bastard is easy enough for me to get, but I don't like hoppy beers. I do have to kneel in praise of the Wegmans beer room though, despite not really being as into beer yet as I am whiskey.
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Mon May 10, 2010 4:08 am UTC

Had a draft Gerber Heffe on Sat. I generally don't drink draft beer, but this was pretty amazing.

Full disclosure: I am generally biased towards Heffes and wheat beers in general.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat May 29, 2010 1:21 am UTC

Finally being 21 means finally being able to expand my beer selection beyond whatever is available. And finally being able to drink it on tap. First beer on my birthday was a Dogfish Head 90 Minute, and it was delicious. Probably beats out Arrogant Bastard as my new favorite. As far as local beers are concerned:
Port Brewing Company's Midnight Sessions is delicious in a dark but not particularly stout-y way.
Green Flash's American ESB is good but not quite as strong as I was expecting (and probably not worth the extra few $$ for being on cask).
Lost Abbey's Red Barn Ale was interesting and balanced, but spiced beer isn't really my thing.
Stone's Arrogant Bastard is probably ten times more delicious on tap at their brewery than it is bottled. It sweetened as it warmed in a tasty, balanced way that the bottled kind doesn't seem to pull off quite as well.

mr_pathetic

Postby mr_pathetic » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:20 am UTC

TheTankengine wrote:I have a little project for the beers i drink. Whenever i drink a new brand of beer, I save the cap (I don't drink cans, unless they're Guinness). I started a couple months ago and I'm up to 84 caps now. I really wish I had started sooner, as I'm sure I'd be over 100. It's gotten a little difficult after I hit 60 or so; the acceleration has really dropped. I used to go to the store and only get a 6 pack of something new, which worked well for a while. But now I always get the feeling that I just want to drink what I want to drink.

In conclusion, I love beer.

This sir is an honorable quest. :D I'm still always open to try a new beer, but I have a few I really like.

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:24 am UTC

mr_pathetic wrote:
TheTankengine wrote:I have a little project for the beers i drink. Whenever i drink a new brand of beer, I save the cap (I don't drink cans, unless they're Guinness). I started a couple months ago and I'm up to 84 caps now. I really wish I had started sooner, as I'm sure I'd be over 100. It's gotten a little difficult after I hit 60 or so; the acceleration has really dropped. I used to go to the store and only get a 6 pack of something new, which worked well for a while. But now I always get the feeling that I just want to drink what I want to drink.

In conclusion, I love beer.

This sir is an honorable quest. :D I'm still always open to try a new beer, but I have a few I really like.

I kind of like this idea. For a while I was saving at least one bottle of each new beer. I don't really have that much room to save them though and I kind of like getting the recycling refund so I was looking for something else to do. Saving the caps seems like a good compromise. Thanks for the idea.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:56 pm UTC

I've just started workin in a beer-bar, so one of my oh-so-sad duties are to keep up to date on beer - truly some of us suffer so the rest can enjoy themself :wink:

Anyway, bought myself a couple of BrewDog - an scottich brewery that has won quite a few awards over the last few years, and has been on my list for a while

So far I can say that Punk IPA* is a really good beer, I'm definetely looking forard to Nanny State

*post-modern classic pale ale they call it, I call bullshit bingo on THAT name
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Return to “Food”