Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Postby mosc » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

I like lagers even less than IPAs so "A Lager with a Bite" is fairly descriptive and fairly unappetizing to me.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I like lagers even less than IPAs so "A Lager with a Bite" is fairly descriptive and fairly unappetizing to me.

It's pretty "mainstream" up hear in Canada. It's comparable to Kokanee in popularity, and to Kokanee Gold (an amber lager) in taste, I would say.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Ours

Postby Ours » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:43 am UTC

mosc wrote:Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse
Spoiler:
This is the most generic and authentic version of the wheat beer (german: Hefe-Weisse). A very drinkable beer that favors a different take on beer creating a smooth and bitterless beer. The wheat beer is fairly different from most other beers which has lead some people to reach the "I only like wheat beers" type attitude. The truth is wheat beers are an incredibly wide genre which is common Germany, Belgium, and growingly so in the US. Other notable but extremely different tasting wheat beers include

The correct general term for the type of beer is "Hefeweizen". "Weizenbier", "Weizen" or "Hefe" are also acceptable terms. "Weißbier" is an older term for it. It is still the only term used in the very south of Germany. Only use the term "Weißbier" if ordering in Munich for example. (Try to say it with a Bavarian accent, too.) You might be looked at stupid on the other hand, if you tried to order a "Weißbier" (as opposed to a "Hefeweizen") in Frankfurt.
Hefe-Weisse is used by a few breweries to name their Weißbier. It is an old term.
Etymologically the word "Weizen" (=wheat) supposedly evolved from the word "weiß" (=white).
The river Main is sometimes called the Hefeweizen-frontier as it is more usually drunk in the south of Germany than in the north.

Drinking a Hefeweizen one should know how to serve it though. I've seen it done wrong in the USA before.

Jack.H

Postby Jack.H » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:31 am UTC

Hacker-Pschorr!
We smile disdainfully at those old words fatherland and religion.

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

Sweet list, Mosc, thanks. To the beer store, Batman!

I have to echo the sentiment about drinking cheap beer. It's just confusing to me. I treat beer like Scotch: if I can't or won't pony up for at least decent stuff, why am I even bothering? There's tons of other things to drink, some of which might even get me tipsy. And if I really, really, really want a beer right now, a single bottle of Rogue or Newcastle is enough to make me content. Meh, different strokes.
You don't make them touch!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

Really, if the goal is just to get drunk and one doesn't care if the agent involved tastes putrid, you could just get a giant bottle of Vladimir....
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

Girl™ wrote:Sweet list, Mosc, thanks. To the beer store, Batman!

8) Glad I could help. It was fun to make anyway even if nobody used it but all the better that somebody gives a shit. :D
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Really, if the goal is just to get drunk and one doesn't care if the agent involved tastes putrid, you could just get a giant bottle of Vladimir....

I've tried some malt liquors that weren't horrible, too. But beer is easy to drink, not too sweet, etc.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

If I'm going to drink to get drunk, I prefer 40's o' malt liquor. MMMM king cobra!
But I generally drink only a few tasty beers in a night. It's much better that way.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

mickeys is the best malt liquor

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

I like Mickey's because it says "Fine Malt Liquor" below the name. That's right, I'm classy. I got me a bottle of FINE Malt Liquor right here. $2/40.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

it does the job without killing your taste buds.

I remember arguing with someone that it was the only malt liquor I would actually drink just to taste it. Then I remembered I had never actually thought that before and it might just be because I had been drinking a few of em.

The 12oz little things are cute though and make you feel better about yourself than slugging a 40.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

Oh i love the mini bottles of mickey's! I would drink 40's of mickey's, but I rarely find them around here. They're usually 22's. :(
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

So... in the drinking games field, as it is generally related to endeavors in malt liquor history... what is your guys' Edward 40 hands record?

For clarification, Edward 40 hands is the game where you pee, to get it out of your system, then have a 40oz bottle of malt liquor duct-taped to each hands... the point being you have to drink it all before you can take the bottle off. You want to do this quickly, as 80 oz of liquid has an interestingly fast way of making its way out.

16 minutes is my personal best. Then again, my drinking nickname is Big Bear.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

I've never actually played Edward 40 Hands, though I just realized that 2 forties is about 2/3 of the way to the gallon challenge.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Tau_Zero

Postby Tau_Zero » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

Spoiler:
This is the most generic and authentic version of the wheat beer (german: Hefe-Weisse). A very drinkable beer that favors a different take on beer creating a smooth and bitterless beer. The wheat beer is fairly different from most other beers which has lead some people to reach the "I only like wheat beers" type attitude. The truth is wheat beers are an incredibly wide genre which is common Germany, Belgium, and growingly so in the US. Other notable but extremely different tasting wheat beers include Hoegaarden White and Blue Moon

This is one I've actually had and I can attest to it's alleged smoothness. It was the first one I've had that had the yeast still in the bottle too, which was interesting. Definitely a beer I'd get again.
ImageImageImageImage

Ours

Postby Ours » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

Tau_Zero wrote:
Spoiler:
This is the most generic and authentic version of the wheat beer (german: Hefe-Weisse). A very drinkable beer that favors a different take on beer creating a smooth and bitterless beer. The wheat beer is fairly different from most other beers which has lead some people to reach the "I only like wheat beers" type attitude. The truth is wheat beers are an incredibly wide genre which is common Germany, Belgium, and growingly so in the US. Other notable but extremely different tasting wheat beers include Hoegaarden White and Blue Moon

This is one I've actually had and I can attest to it's alleged smoothness. It was the first one I've had that had the yeast still in the bottle too, which was interesting. Definitely a beer I'd get again.

I hope you did not drink it directly from the bottle and I hope that you did not leave the yeast in the bottle?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:05 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:I've never actually played Edward 40 Hands, though I just realized that 2 forties is about 2/3 of the way to the gallon challenge.

I had a friend in college who got within a cup of the gallon challenge AFTER drinking a six pack. It was rather amazing.

Tau_Zero

Postby Tau_Zero » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

Ours wrote:
I hope you did not drink it directly from the bottle and I hope that you did not leave the yeast in the bottle?

Not to worry. It was from tall glassware (whatever my uncle had... it seems to most closely resemble the Pilsner glass on beeradvocate.com). All yeast was poured out with the beer and consumed. There's even instructions on the bottle for it :lol:
ImageImageImageImage

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:41 pm UTC

Caffrey's or Tuborg are my goto drinks, depending on availability and mood. Blue Light if I'm at a crap place like a strip club up here. In the states if I'm having cheep beer it's Tecate.

As to the drinking to get drunk thing, I'm a cheep drunk. A 6 pack will get me nice and drunk, and a 12 pack will get me totally blitzed and regretting my actions for months. So beer is a good way to go for me in that regard.

Daelin

Postby Daelin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:09 am UTC

I have to disagree with the thread's title.

I really, really hate the taste of beer, and I've had quite a few different kinds. And, I'm in Canada... allegedly our beer is better than the US's beer, I can't say if that's true or not. Maybe just Canuck propaganda?

But anyway, I've never been able to get through a mouthful of beer, let alone a bottle or glass of it. Any beer that touches my tongue usually finds its demise in the nearest sink or garbage can.

You guys can keep your beer. I've got my vodka.

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Daelin wrote:I have to disagree with the thread's title.

I really, really hate the taste of beer, and I've had quite a few different kinds. And, I'm in Canada... allegedly our beer is better than the US's beer, I can't say if that's true or not. Maybe just Canuck propaganda?

But anyway, I've never been able to get through a mouthful of beer, let alone a bottle or glass of it. Any beer that touches my tongue usually finds its demise in the nearest sink or garbage can.

*shudders* Vodka is horrid. Even mixed with things it's still horrid, just mixed horrid.

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

You can taste it when it's mixed with things?

Vodka has always been my go-to when I find myself saying "Hmm. This thing I'm drinking tastes good, but it would be better if it was also making me drunk" specifically because good vodka has no flavor...

They/them

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

I have zero esteem for vodka as a cocktail ingredient, but I can at least understand why people don't like beer.

If you don't like vodka, I think you're doing it wrong? Find delicious beverage. Make delicious beverage drunkifying.

mosc

Postby mosc » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Belial wrote:specifically because good vodka has no flavor...

Grey Goose and it's many impersonators use this approach but it's not the only school out there. Belvedere has a subtle flavor but it's far from tasteless. I find it quite pleasant and it's finish is much smoother than anything else on the market.

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:59 pm UTC

That's why I said "good vodka". If it has a flavor, it doesn't serve the only purpose vodka is fit to serve: a flavorless alchohol-additive.

:P

They/them

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

Here's a pic of the caps I have collected so far. I'm up to 86 now!
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

It's a quote from Ben Franklin, and Americans cannot let you disagree with Ben Franklin.
Daelin wrote:And, I'm in Canada... allegedly our beer is better than the US's beer, I can't say if that's true or not. Maybe just Canuck propaganda?
Stop right there. American beer is not Budweiser any more than Canadian beer is Molson. There are (by some counts) more than 1500 breweries in the United States. You've got quite a selection to choose from before you go around bashing American beer.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

mosc

Postby mosc » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:42 pm UTC

Daelin wrote:I really, really hate the taste of beer, and I've had quite a few different kinds. And, I'm in Canada... allegedly our beer is better than the US's beer, I can't say if that's true or not. Maybe just Canuck propaganda?

Probably because you've only tried "American style lagers" which have really only been mentioned in this thread to be made fun of, not to recommend for serious consumption.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
It's a quote from Ben Franklin, and Americans cannot let you disagree with Ben Franklin.
Daelin wrote:And, I'm in Canada... allegedly our beer is better than the US's beer, I can't say if that's true or not. Maybe just Canuck propaganda?
Stop right there. American beer is not Budweiser any more than Canadian beer is Molson. There are (by some counts) more than 1500 breweries in the United States. You've got quite a selection to choose from before you go around bashing American beer.

While that is true; they guy simply hates the taste of beer. I'm sure it wouldn't matter if it were belgian, american, japanese or australian, he's just not going to like it. So, I'd say his opinion on certain beers is moot.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

mosc

Postby mosc » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:58 pm UTC

beer is too wide a genre to fully hate on such a small sampling pool. Also, if you only try a few and they happen to be very close in type, this can fool you into thinking ALL beer tastes like that. "Bitter Water" is usually a negative of American style lagers and far from something you'd describe about a Hefeweizen. There are people who hate Hefeweizen's too I'm sure, but the point is that they two are so different that ruling out all based on a limited pool is naive.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

Belial wrote:You can taste it when it's mixed with things?

Vodka has always been my go-to when I find myself saying "Hmm. This thing I'm drinking tastes good, but it would be better if it was also making me drunk" specifically because good vodka has no flavor...

Yes it does- it still tastes like alcohol. And that's not a flavor I find at all appealing. I prefer something like rum or gin with a flavor that I kind of like on top of the alcohol to go in things.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:09 am UTC

Flying Betty wrote:

Yes it does- it still tastes like alcohol. And that's not a flavor I find at all appealing. I prefer something like rum or gin with a flavor that I kind of like on top of the alcohol to go in things.

What about moonshine?

That stuff has a hell of a kick!

Edit: oops, realized you said you DON'T like stuff like that.

Guess this post goes out to anyone who likes hard liquor. Anyone had moonshine?

About beer: I like Guinness, some Sam Adams stuff, stuff from a local brewery, and yes, Pabst Blue Ribbon beer (its the best of the cheap stuff)!
Live with passion. Die with passion.

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:18 am UTC

I really, really hate the taste of beer, and I've had quite a few different kinds.... I've never been able to get through a mouthful of beer, let alone a bottle or glass of it. Any beer that touches my tongue usually finds its demise in the nearest sink or garbage can.

My thoughts exactly, which is why I'm not sure why I bothered reading this thread just barely.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

zenten

Postby zenten » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

Yes, it's this bitter icky flavour. I don't know how to describe it really as I can't think of anything else that tastes quite like it.

The only case this isn't true is with say Rev, and cold Rev at that, where there is so much else going on that it masks the horrible vodka. And even then I taste it a bit until I get more drunk.

mosc wrote:
Daelin wrote:I really, really hate the taste of beer, and I've had quite a few different kinds. And, I'm in Canada... allegedly our beer is better than the US's beer, I can't say if that's true or not. Maybe just Canuck propaganda?

Probably because you've only tried "American style lagers" which have really only been mentioned in this thread to be made fun of, not to recommend for serious consumption.

Except for the people saying Sam Adams and Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Although I guess Bass is proof that you don't have to be American to be a crappy beer.

Oh, as a side point, there used to be a hemp beer that was really popular for like less than a year, then I couldn't find it anymore. Does anyone know what it might have been called, and where I could find it? The box the bottles came in was 100% post consumer, and it looked it, as it wasn't rebleached.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:58 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
mosc wrote:
When "American style lagers" is in quotes like that, Sam Adams doesn't qualify.

PBR does. But yeah, PBR is shit. Sure, it might be the tastiest shit out there. But it's still shit.

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

Sweet raptor jesus... I had my first hefeweizen this weekend (sure, go ahead and get angry if I misspelled it). What a wonderful wonderful beer. Paulaner was my first. Man is this thing fun to pour, what with flipping it upside down.

Have any of you tried to flip other beers upside down for pouring? It doesn't work. The awesome awesome carbonation of the hefeweizen lets it not *glug* *glug* the way down the bottle, which isn't the case for 3 other beers I tried (a Sammy's, Magic Hat #whatever, and a Corona). It was kinda fun actually.
Anyways, thanks for introducing me to the joy of this beer. It's my new 'go to' beer for pregaming.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:While that is true; they guy simply hates the taste of beer. I'm sure it wouldn't matter if it were belgian, american, japanese or australian, he's just not going to like it. So, I'd say his opinion on certain beers is moot.

Sure, but American beer bashing is a pet peeve of mine, especially when people make generalizations about one country's beer is "better" than another country's beer, and especially when the "American beer" they are actually talking about is Budweiser or Keystone.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
zenten wrote:
mosc wrote:

PBR does. But yeah, PBR is shit. Sure, it might be the tastiest shit out there. But it's still shit.

For the upteenth time:

"American Style Lager" is a term for a PILSNER type beer which traces it's routes to Eastern Europe (Czech Republic, Poland, etc) but is referred to as a "Lager" in the united states. Examples include: Budweiser (modeled closely after Budvar which is Czech), Coors, MGD, and most mainstream American Brews.

"Lager" is a type of beer generally of GERMAN origin which is a stronger and less carbonated style. It is brewed in the states as well. Examples include: Sam Adams Boston Lager, Yuengling Lager., and many micro-brews.

The are to different things ffs!

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

mosc wrote:
Azrael wrote:
zenten wrote:
mosc wrote:

For the upteenth time:

"American Style Lager" is a term for a PILSNER type beer which traces it's routes to Eastern Europe (Czech Republic, Poland, etc) but is referred to as a "Lager" in the united states. Examples include: Budweiser (modeled closely after Budvar which is Czech), Coors, MGD, and most mainstream American Brews.

"Lager" is a type of beer generally of GERMAN origin which is a stronger and less carbonated style. It is brewed in the states as well. Examples include: Sam Adams Boston Lager, Yuengling Lager., and many micro-brews.

The are to different things ffs!

Here it generally means "crap". I've heard Corona called "an American style beer", because of the crappy urine quality.

Return to “Food”