Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Whitekiboko

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Postby Whitekiboko » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Can you get them outside the city?

Hitachino is pretty easy to find.

I'm both personally and professionally biased, but I think Evil Twin's Justin Blabaer is equally great in both the beer and the label. I'd like it a bit more tart, but definitely good.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

Anybody familiar with this brewery? My grandmother keeps telling me about how her cousin (so, my something-something cousin something-removed) is this great successful brewer and that's his site.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

I have a nagging suspicion that I've had/seen Ursus & Dystopia on a tap list somewhere, but maybe not? I bet Dystopia is a somewhat common name.

Anyhow, BA seems to have good things to say

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

sadly, in my goals to have a racing career, i have entirely given up drinking beer, though i do like it. :oops:

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:sadly, in my goals to have a racing career, i have entirely given up drinking beer, though i do like it. :oops:

Just observe the FAA rule, 8 hours bottle to throttle.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

Whitekiboko wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:sadly, in my goals to have a racing career, i have entirely given up drinking beer, though i do like it. :oops:

Just observe the FAA rule, 8 hours bottle to throttle.

i would, but its more of a dietary problem than one of soberness.

i still do occasionally enjoy my hard liquors and such but beer is, sadly, off menu.

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:35 am UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:i still do occasionally enjoy my hard liquors and such but beer is, sadly, off menu.

Oops, you didn't specify and I assumed something motorized.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

Whitekiboko wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:i still do occasionally enjoy my hard liquors and such but beer is, sadly, off menu.

Oops, you didn't specify and I assumed something motorized.

well, technically i AM the motor.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:46 am UTC

Stone's coconut IPA collab with Rip Current (which is also probably my favorite new San Diego brewery) is pretty great if you ignore the fact that it tastes almost nothing like coconut. Apparently it came out a lot more in the trial batch, according to my friends who work there.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 am UTC

I went on a brewery tour about 3 weeks ago and it was really cool. The brewery (Nobby's in Guilsborough, Northamptonshire) is now one of my favourites. Their Gold, Guzzler, T'owd Navigation (6% :shock: ) and Crystal are all incredibly enjoyable.

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

Why does 6% get the 'shocked' ?

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

IIRC, he's pretty new to the whole "not pisswater" side of beer. The other two he lists are 3.6 & 4% respectively.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

Sometimes the alcohol can overwhelm the flavor, also. I tried Fat Head's Barrel Aged Baltic Porter last night, and it was delicious, with a nice rich flavor and a smoky finish, but the bite of the alcohol was a little too strong. I've enjoyed high alcohol beers and barleywines that have covered up that bite, but some beers just hit me hard enough that it impacts my enjoyment of the beverage.

I'm just trying to say that there's a balance between alcohol content and flavor that must be struck, and if I poured a shot of vodka into a Miller Lite, you'd probably :shock: too.

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:I'm just trying to say that there's a balance between alcohol content and flavor that must be struck, and if I poured a shot of vodka into a Miller Lite, you'd probably :shock: too.

Who would prefer a Miller Lite to a shot of Vodka????

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:I'm just trying to say that there's a balance between alcohol content and flavor that must be struck, and if I poured a shot of vodka into a Miller Lite, you'd probably :shock: too.

waste of a good shot of vodka.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:32 am UTC

Nothing wrong with a pint (or several) of a good mild.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:32 am UTC

Azrael wrote:IIRC, he's pretty new to the whole "not pisswater" side of beer. The other two he lists are 3.6 & 4% respectively.

By pisswater, do you just mean lagers? Because whilst that's certainly what I used to drink, there's nothing wrong with a lighter, weaker beer (like the others I listed).

The 6% was a shock to me because you can taste the strength. In other 6% beers, perhaps you wouldn't - but this is so far the strongest beer I've ever had (both in taste and alcohol content).

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:26 am UTC

Speaking of: I had a Trappist a while back. A St Bernardus, don't remember the #. Was visiting relatives in Eugene and they had a good little beer joint pretty close to the college. Definitely way different than anything I've ever had. 12% or close to it. Sweeter. Almost like a weissbeer in it's bitterness and taste but...was not prepared for the alcohol content. Almost like a beer flavored wine.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:37 am UTC

I think it's time.

I'd like to formally request a basic crash-course in beer, because I feel like I'm probably missing out on something. I've not ever had a beer that wasn't a big-brand beer, so I don't exactly have a solid point of reference. (Barring the one time I had a...peach? beer in a beer bar where I didn't speak the language.)
Aside from the peach beer (fruit beers are tasty!), the nicest beer I've ever had was a Tooheys Old - according to the reviews linked there, it seems like that probably the best macrobrew I'll find in this country, and I'd call it tolerable but no better. This leads me to believe I prefer darker beers, but that could be a byproduct of the low quality of light beers and lagers I've had here.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:41 am UTC

As someone who has recently found beer, my advice would be just to get out there and drink it.

I'm fortunate in that lots of pubs around here offer lots of different beers, and I have more than a few friends who enjoy drinking them. But seriously, just get into pubs and try them. It's pretty acceptable to ask for a small amount of a new beer to see if you like it - before ordering a pint. So do that and if you like it, drink it :)

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:49 am UTC

Don't start with things like imperial stouts. I'd work your way from dark to light. Try an IPA off the bat to see if you like it. It's definitely a rather unique style.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:59 am UTC

I think I'll work my way from dark to light, yeah. A problem I've had with beer (and coffee, but wrong thread for that) is the bitterness. I've been growing accustomed to the flavour, but beer is still not my favourite flavour right off the bat. I'm curious about IPAs - what is characteristic of them, that sets them apart from other beers, or even other pale ales?

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:08 am UTC

I actually meant light to dark, but I'm a moron and didn't type that. If you don't like bitterness then stay away from IPAs. I mean, still try one but....

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:15 am UTC

Although bitter, hoppy beers are popular in the microbrew crowd, there are lots of not-too-bitter beers out there. IPAs tend to be pretty bitter. Fat Tire Amber Ale is a widely available, inoffensive, not-bitter beer. Black Butte Porter is nice too.

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:21 am UTC

Ambers and Wheat beers are the easiest to drink for a lot of people. Belgian Whites are also good. Shocktop, Blue Moon, and Fat Tire are good starter examples of different lighter ales. I don't know what you can get (You're in Aus right?) but weissbeer is similar to IPA without the bitterness. IPAs are generally fruity and super hoppy, which makes the beer have a very bitter aftertaste. I mostly drink more local stuff so I'm not great at recommending particular beers you might have.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:35 am UTC

Yeah, I'm in Sydney, so I'm not sure what I can actually get in terms of microbrews around here, but there'd have to be something. I'll look into weissbeers if I can find any, I've heard good things about them. I'm making notes of any and all names that are being dropped here, though, because I won't hesitate to try them if I find them. I figure I may as well run the gamut of beer before I discount things based on the macrobrews I've tasted.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:I think it's time.

I'd like to formally request a basic crash-course in beer, because I feel like I'm probably missing out on something.
These posts might help:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=20252&p=3358374&p3358374#p3356200
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=20252&p=3358374&p3358374#p3358374
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:09 am UTC

There's loads of microbrewers in Australia, and you will have access to many of them in Sydney.

Bitterness is a key part of many beers, especially IPAs - I would say they're not the best to get started with. I second the recommendation for ambers. Young Henry's is a good brewer in Newtown - maybe try them?

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

I tend to think of beer as being probably 5% abv. 6% doesn't seem particularly shocking.

As to introducing yourself to beer, try a lot of different stuff and see if there's anything that strikes your fancy, then ask about what's similar to that. I'd recommend trying porter (like a vanilla porter), stout (a couple different types: oatmeal, chocolate, milk, whatever), a light asian beer like Asahi, a light german bear like Becks, a brown ale, amber bock, etc. Let us know which ones you have that you're like "oooohhhh, this seems promising" and people can give you more advice from there.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:a light german bear

Apparently, there are none.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

Haha! And I hadn't even drunk any bears recently so I have no excuse for my typo.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:I tend to think of beer as being probably 5% abv. 6% doesn't seem particularly shocking.
I was at a beer festival last weekend with around 50 different beers on tap. About half were between 3 and 4 %
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
Роберт wrote:I tend to think of beer as being probably 5% abv. 6% doesn't seem particularly shocking.
I was at a beer festival last weekend with around 50 different beers on tap. About half were between 3 and 4 %

I just Googled(tm) five of my favorite beers and none of them were under 5%.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

There's only one beer I would ever recommend to anybody, and that beer is Grimbergen blond.

The Belgian pub in Hackney ceased serving it, though, so I had to make do with Brugse Zot, which is quaffable, but hardly transcendent.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

Shiner Black is only 4.9%, and so is Becks, so I'll grant that there are some beers I like that are under 5%. :mrgreen:

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

everyones enjoying tasty beer, and im just sitting here riding my bike.....

seriously though, it sucks ass.

roband

Postby roband » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:17 am UTC

Роберт wrote:Shiner Black is only 4.9%, and so is Becks, so I'll grant that there are some beers I like that are under 5%. :mrgreen:

Are.. we.. talking about the same Becks?

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:07 am UTC

It's not a particularly bad lager. I usually either buy cheaper lager (for drinking something really cold on a hot day e.g. supermarket own-brand Flanders 2.6%) or Budweiser Budvar.

roband

Postby roband » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:23 am UTC

I just can't stand normal Becks. Personal taste, I guess.

Becks Vier on the other hand, is great. edit: well, it's good lager

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

Hey, Becks is for those (very) rare times when I'm in the mood for something less flavorful. It's not what I normally buy by any stretch. I'll either go for Becks or an asian beer in those rare times.

Speaking of rare times, I had a Trappistes Rochefort 10 last night because of this thread. After talking about ABV of beers, when I saw this one in the store I bought it on impulse. (over 11% abv) It was fantastic. Would DEFINITELY drink again if I found it at a party. A bit pricey, though.

Return to “Food”