Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Carlington

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Postby Carlington » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:24 am UTC

Last night I went drinking, and decided to try a new beer (a habit I'm hoping to keep going for the near future at least). I chose a Vostok Space Beer - a craft stout brewed specifically for increased flavour and decreased carbonation (even compared to regular stouts), with the intention of making it drinkable in space. The label said 40 IBU, and I found it too bitter to get through - but I don't have a good reference point for what constitutes a large amount of IBU, so that information is less useful. However, in the amount that I did drink, I noticed a definite difference in flavour, and I now understand what is meant when people talk about chocolate and caramel undertones in beers. I found the flavour (body?) of the beer actually quite tasty, and it was definitely an improvement over my other experiences with beers - maybe something to revisit once I have more experience under my belt. Definitely one to try if you get the chance, especially if you like darker beers.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

GenericAnimeBoy

Postby GenericAnimeBoy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:17 am UTC

The beer of the evening for me is a Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout. That I like this a lot probably surprises no one who has read my posts here, but it's still worth a mention.
In light of the impermanence and absurdity of existence, I surmise that nothing is better for us than to rejoice and to do good in our lives, and that everyone should eat and drink and enjoy the good of his/her labor. Such enjoyment is a gift from God.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:06 am UTC

I went to the Meantime Brewery in Greenwich yesterday, tried many a beer. Mostly excellent, especially impressed by their wheat beer, which was better than a few German ones that I've tried in the past.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:The label said 40 IBU, and I found it too bitter to get through - but I don't have a good reference point for what constitutes a large amount of IBU, so that information is less useful.
I recently tried a beer that claimed just over 100 IBU. It wasn't exactly what I would normally go for, but it was a fun change. If 40 was too bitter for you, it might not have been malty enough?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

I find IBUs to be a pretty worthless measure for determining how bitter a beer will taste. Green Flash's Hop Head Red is listed at 70, but it tastes more bitter to me than their West Coast IPA, which is listed at 95.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:58 am UTC

Different beers with the same alcohol content often have a much more or less pronounced alcohol taste as well. Flavor is weird. In a good way.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm trying to say. 40 isn't necessarily bitter in my experience. It depends on other factors as well.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:10 am UTC

Carlington wrote:Last night I went drinking, and decided to try a new beer (a habit I'm hoping to keep going for the near future at least). I chose a Vostok Space Beer - a craft stout brewed specifically for increased flavour and decreased carbonation (even compared to regular stouts), with the intention of making it drinkable in space. The label said 40 IBU, and I found it too bitter to get through - but I don't have a good reference point for what constitutes a large amount of IBU, so that information is less useful. However, in the amount that I did drink, I noticed a definite difference in flavour, and I now understand what is meant when people talk about chocolate and caramel undertones in beers. I found the flavour (body?) of the beer actually quite tasty, and it was definitely an improvement over my other experiences with beers - maybe something to revisit once I have more experience under my belt. Definitely one to try if you get the chance, especially if you like darker beers.

Everyone's always a little different. You'll find beers that you can't stand that other people seem to enjoy (mine's Heinekin, Carona is another popular hatred in my experience) and it may not have anything to do with the type of beer, just that one beer's particular flavor.

BTW: Found a bar here that has both Moose Drool AND Coldsmoke on tap. I spend way too much time at said bar. Especially with the colder weather setting in it feels better to be drinking darker beers again.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:07 am UTC

I finally decided to try New Belgium's 1554 - got a six pack on sale at the grocery store. Has a lot of malt with a very strong roasted coffee finish. Not really my favorite, but it has a lot of "stout" about it, which I've never been big on in general.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

roband

Postby roband » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:54 am UTC

Meant to mention it here, but forgot.

Tried a "chocolatey beer". I was excited. It was something along the lines of "chocolate and hazelnut fudge brownie" beer. 6.x% and it smelt like cocoa.

First mouthful, tasted amazing. Second mouthful, good but not great. Third mouthful, I wanted to be sick.
I finished half of the pint and one of my drinking partners saw the rest off in one go, just to get rid of it.

Not good, shall not be buying ever again.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

What was it specifically?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

roband

Postby roband » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

I had no idea. I googled "chocolate and hazelnut fudge brownie" beer and found it! http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/batemans-h ... ie/233246/

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

That just screams gimmicky marketing. If you want to get excited about a chocolatey dark beer, try something with a better reputation: Young's Double Chocolate Stout shouldn't be hard for you to get as it's made in the UK.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:That just screams gimmicky marketing. If you want to get excited about a chocolatey dark beer, try something with a better reputation: Young's Double Chocolate Stout shouldn't be hard for you to get as it's made in the UK.

I'll keep an eye out.

I tend to drink a lot more when I'm in pubs, so I tend to go for whatever's on offer - rather than hunting a specific beer out.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

Sounds like something I might like, but I think I would probably have the same reaction as you. It seems like it's something that should be sold in 6 or 8 oz bottles, or buy a 22oz bottle to share with 4 or 5 friends as a literal after-dinner dessert. Even the one review I found of it on BA said it's not the kind of beer you drink a couple pints of. Similarly, I love Dragon's Milk, but a 12oz is just barely this side of enough, and if I've just eaten, a tiny bit the other side of enough.
--Flobots "Mayday"

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

I find beers that market their added flavors tend to get old pretty quickly. Mostly because they seem geared towards people who don't like beer, so they mask it rather than compliment it.

Still love a good flavored stout but it has to be balanced.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

The peppercorn beer I drank recently was an exception - it was cleverly done. It was otherwise similar to an IPA, but where you'd get the hops kick, you got a pepper kick instead.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:That just screams gimmicky marketing. If you want to get excited about a chocolatey dark beer, try something with a better reputation: Young's Double Chocolate Stout shouldn't be hard for you to get as it's made in the UK.

That one is pretty damn nice. The chocolate is subtle enough it doesn't overpower the beer.

There was a more chocolatey one I found a few times as a limited edition thing from a local brewery over here that was really well done too (http://www.mildurabrewery.com.au/seasonal/choc-hops/). Not the kind of thing you want to drink all the time, but it was amazing when I was in the mood for that kind of thing.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Speaking of added flavors, had a Leinenkugel Orange Shandy last night. Not really a beer beer, but I enjoyed it. Almost like an Arnold Palmer beer, or something.

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:56 am UTC

Or Southern Tier's Choklat, not that he'd probably be able to find that in the UK. That and Pumking are the only 2 from the darkwater series I like. But, they seem to be love or hate beers.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:33 am UTC

What about a hazlenut-y dark beer? I reaaaally like this one.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

I got some beer that was brewed with Jalapeños that was good. It was had a significant kick but it went with the beer well.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Whitekiboko wrote:

Or Southern Tier's Choklat
Definitely agree there. I've heard that Sam Smith makes a good chocolate stout as well, but it's always sold out whenever I go to Total Wine.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:05 am UTC

In the US, the one I like is Bison Organic Chocolate Stout. Probably only distributed on the West Coast.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

What beers are there that are super sweet but good? Chocolate or similar flavor preferred.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
Whitekiboko wrote:

Or Southern Tier's Choklat
Definitely agree there. I've heard that Sam Smith makes a good chocolate stout as well, but it's always sold out whenever I go to Total Wine.
Yes, Sam Smith Organic Chocolate Stout. It is fucking fantastic... definitely the best chocolate beer I've had (and I've had quite a few).
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:What beers are there that are super sweet but good? Chocolate or similar flavor preferred.

I have never encountered a good sweet chocolate beer. Sounds like you're thinking of some kind of hideous Nesquik shandy.

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:37 am UTC

Роберт wrote:What beers are there that are super sweet but good? Chocolate or similar flavor preferred.

Best chocolate beer I have ever had was Sam Adams Chocolate Bock. On the sweet side I guess, but, yeah, chocolate beers are generally not going for sweet. Mostly fruit beers are what come to mind when I think "sweet beer." There is an amazing strawberry beer by Shorts brewery that fits this description if you are lucky enough to be in a place where you can get their stuff. Leinenkugel Berry Weiss is a good(ish) sweet(ish) beer that is available lots of places.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Putting a slice of orange in Blue Moon imparts a bit of sweetness, which I like.

roband

Postby roband » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Huh, never would have thought to do that... I like citrusy beer too.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

A lot crazy-shit-on-the-wall restaurants (Chili's, Red Robin, etc.) do that by default here in the South.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

If I recall correctly, Harpoon UFO is served with orange as well.

roband

Postby roband » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

So should it go with an already citrusy beer, or just sling it in anything?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

Typically a wheat beer thing, and I think an American one, that started with lemon slices. It's supposedly not authentic to the style to serve a Hefeweisen with a slice, but if you like it, go for it. I don't think most American hefs are all that true to the European style they're descended from anyway. I really, really like Sierra Nevada's Kellerweiss, which is more traditional - the yeast is supposed to impart banana and clove flavors. I don't know how you make a yeast stay the way it is, always figured they change a lot over time, but such are the mysteries of making food out of microorganisms. Anyway, rule of thumb is if the branding suggests you serve it a certain way, it's fair game. Otherwise, try it without, and if that's not for you, do what you want.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I don't know how you make a yeast stay the way it is, always figured they change a lot over time, but such are the mysteries of making food out of microorganisms.
I think it's that you keep it cold. There won't be many generations of yeast in the master store that gets kept cold. The ones that get used in the brew itself will change a lot, but the original one that gets taken from not as much.

Then again, you've got to generate more master culture some time, otherwise it runs out. And with yeasts that are supposedly hundreds of years old and are hardly likely to have been kept at very low temperatures all that time... Yeah.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Speaking of added flavors, had a Leinenkugel Orange Shandy last night. Not really a beer beer, but I enjoyed it. Almost like an Arnold Palmer beer, or something.
You do realize that shandy is Lemonade+Beer right? So... Really close to Arnold Palmer beer.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

Yes, thank you, that is what I was saying.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

The phrasing is kinda along the lines of a Mexican Panini though (a quesadilla).

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:38 am UTC

It's not Bakemaster's phrasing, if anyone thought it was. Leinenkugel sells a beer named that. (They sell a normal lemonade one, too, as "summer shandy".)

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:00 am UTC

They sell an "Arnold Palmer" beer?
(They do not)
Last edited by bigglesworth on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:58 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Food”