Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mikeski

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Postby Mikeski » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:41 am UTC

Yup, they'll sell you a bottle of beer mixed with juice for the price of a bottle of beer. Marketing genius, I tells ya.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
Роберт wrote:What beers are there that are super sweet but good? Chocolate or similar flavor preferred.

I have never encountered a good sweet chocolate beer. Sounds like you're thinking of some kind of hideous Nesquik shandy.

My darts bar briefly had both Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Lindemans Framboise Lambic on tap. They'd pour a dollop of the latter into a pint of the former and it wasn't half bad. I still prefer the stout but the ladies enjoyed the combo.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:38 am UTC

Deschutes NWPA... Pretty good. I don't think it's as amazing as BA says it is, but it's a well done pale ale. I'm glad I grabbed a pack.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:02 pm UTC

Is that the Red Chair thing? I quite like it. I am not a big fan of the BLAAAR! HOPS! school of thought when it comes to pale ales.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:33 am UTC

Yeah, I guess it's called Red Chair, and they refer to the style as NW Pale Ale for whatever reason. My only complaint is that it's not very strongly one thing or the other. It's really drinkable, which I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult when said by a beer snob, but in any case if I feel like I want some hops in me this beer is a very efficient delivery system. I think if given the choice of this beer, Fat Tire, or Torpedo, I would probably always choose one of the other two over this beer. But I would choose this beer over many other beers.

I drank one of these beers, I need to eat some food now.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:52 am UTC

I quite enjoyed Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale. I could drink a few of those.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:37 pm UTC

Lagunitas Daytime IPA: Love the fragrance, but otherwise this brew is very meh. It's got hop presence but very little backing it up. I get that the goal here is a drinkable, moderate ABV IPA, but it doesn't matter how drinkable a beer is if I don't want to drink it. I don't know why BA likes it so much.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:49 pm UTC

picked up a six-pack of Deschutes "River Ale" this weekend. Billed as a "blonde" however I found it a little dark for the style. This is not saying it's a bad beer, the beer was a very nice, easy-going pale ale, with some citrus-y hops going on. Great for a session beer, with just enough complexity to keep it interesting.

I would call it more an "extra pale ale" or a "west coast session ale" much in the way of the 21st Admendment "Bitter American" or Stone's "Levitation" (although stone's offering here is hoppier, to be expected).
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:14 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Lagunitas Daytime IPA: Love the fragrance, but otherwise this brew is very meh. It's got hop presence but very little backing it up. I get that the goal here is a drinkable, moderate ABV IPA, but it doesn't matter how drinkable a beer is if I don't want to drink it. I don't know why BA likes it so much.
I feel the same way about every other session IPA I've had (Sierra Nevada Nooner, Stone Go-To, Firestone Walker Easy Jack). They aren't bad, but they feel hollow and weirdly unsatisfying. Like, you get a great initial taste with each sip, but you're left waiting for a sweet finish to round it out that never comes, and it's kind of frustrating.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:32 pm UTC

I'm normally not a big fan of sweet beers, especially ones with added flavors, but I recently had a lemon shandy at a bar in Flagstaff, AZ that was great. It was a pint of Four Peaks Sunbru with (approximately) a shot each of sweetened fresh squeezed lemon juice and vodka.

Oh, and for chocolate beers, Sonoran White Chocolate Ale is pretty good. As with most dessert style beers I wouldn't want to drink a whole pint, but it is good for a taste.

Also, the session IPAs are intended to be that way. If you're having just one, a good strong IPA with a lingering aftertaste is great to savor and enjoy, but that probably isn't the best choice if you're going to throw a few back. It seems some people want an option of something that is very hop forward (more so than a regular pale ale) but with a cleaner finish and lower alcohol content that they can drink all day for those occasions. I think of them kind of as the bud light of IPAs (not meant to be derogatory, just descriptive of the use case).

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed May 21, 2014 3:57 am UTC

I guess the session beer is just not for me. If I'm drinking something throughout the day, for thirst and refreshment, it's delicious water. When I go for a beer I want flavor; it doesn't have to be a West Coast amount of hops, it could be malt, yeast, fruit, but there has to be something throughout. And on the rare occasion that I drink several beers in one sitting any more, they're the same brews as usual, just more of them.

And on the subject of beers I drink, I brought home a six pack of New Belgium's Imperial IPA ("Rampant"). It has a sweet and spicy note that I really like, more than I expected to actually. I should ever try to learn about different hops varieties, and see if I can start distinguishing them; I haven't even heard of Mosaic and Calypso before. Is it weird that I like "big" IPAs way more than standard ones?

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed May 21, 2014 2:08 pm UTC

That sounds delicious, I'm going to have to track some of that down.

I was blessed with a hand-delivered growler of Flying Dog Dead Rise the other day. Very flavorful beer, hints of citrus and not too bitter, with a little bit of spice for the finish. I expected the Old Bay seasoning to overpower the beer, but it was just a light note at the end. Really good beer to sit outside and enjoy. Now I just need someone to steam me up some crabs and I'll be all set.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:14 am UTC

Old Bay? That sounds pretty risky.

Sitting down with another New Belgium. This time it's Tour de Fall. I like the finish better than the start. Cascade and Amarillo hops... Makes me want to put some time into tasting with a mind toward identifying hop varieties. Because I don't know what's what. Altogether it's a pretty good pale ale with some backbone. It does live up to the name.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:55 pm UTC

I was lamenting with a friend of mine yesterday; Why don't more breweries make brown ales?

Brown ales are pretty much my favorite style, and yet in the beer-obsessed bay area of california all I can find, in the even most well-stocked bottle shop (as in over 200, maybe 300 kinds of beer), is as follows:

Newcastle: Most common. I'm not a fan, too sweet, not enough going on.
Big Sky Brewing - Moose Drool: Tasty. Very tasty actually, I usually end up getting this because BevMo has it.
Samuel Smiths - Nut Brown: I like this one even better, but it's pricey (being an import), and only sold in 4-pack or 22oz bottle.
Anchor Brewing - Brekle's Brown: This one is awesome as well, but it's very uncommon, strange because it's local.

One that I miss so much from when I lived in San Diego is also my favorite brown ale, Alesmith's Nautical Nut Brown. That beer is everything I ever wanted in a brown ale, it's not bottled (the brown ale in a big 750ml bomber isn't the same) and only available locally in the San Diego area on tap.

Everyone's too obsessed with IPAs here, the same bottle shop will have at least 20-30 types of IPA/IIPA/etc., I want a nice, simple, brown ale damn it!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:35 am UTC

Yes! By god, I will drive in to the bay some time and we will enjoy a goddamn brown ale together. I don't think I've seen an Anchor brown on the shelf. The three I've noticed are Steam, Porter and IPA.

Downtown Brown, from Lost Coast, will not blow your mind but is nice for some variety. I think Moose Drool is better.

My only problem with brown ales is that the style is so, so variable depending on where it comes from. I much prefer brown ales (and barleywines, for that matter) in style I've read is more typically English; chewy, malty, not overly hopped.

Dogfish Head makes an Indian Brown Ale that is wacky and delicious. AND SPEAKING OF DOGFISH HEAD (SEGUE MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU SPEAK IT) I am loving this Festina Peche in my hand right now. Getting into... THE PECHE MODE over here. Ha! Ha!

Seriously though, this is a wonderful, wonderful drinkable summer beverage. Fair warning, it's almost more of a cider than a beer; tart, with very crisp carbonation. Hint of malt and grain, overall dry. I am thrilled, given how hit-or-miss I find Dogfish sometimes, to have accidentally found this beer today.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:51 am UTC

Well get over here!

Damn it, forgot the Downtown brown. Oh, and there's Oaktown brown, which I'll only get on tap, because in bottle it's expensive.

The anchor beers I've seen here are quite varied. It being so close I've seen most of their offerings in the wild, and have tasted quite a few, ordered from Most Liked to least liked.

Brekle's Brown
Liberty- Between an APA and an IPA
Small Beer- English Bitter, second runnings from Old Foghorn's Mash
Mark's Mild- Only seen this one once, but it was amazing, dark mild style
Porter
Old Foghorn- English style Barleywine
Humming Ale- APA
BigLeaf Autumn Red- Red ale with a hint of Maple
Anchor IPA
Steam- I know everyone seems to love it, but it is far from their best offering

They make a few lagers too (a bock and a pre-Prohibition style lager), but I'm not a huge lager fan, so I've skipped them so far.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:39 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Cascade and Amarillo hops... Makes me want to put some time into tasting with a mind toward identifying hop varieties. Because I don't know what's what.

I'm starting to notice a small semblance of recognition for certain hops, in particular, Cascade, Nelson Sauvin and Chinook. I found the Mikeller Single Hop brews pretty good for this, as well as the Kernel Brewery's labelling which for IPAs and pale ales, list the hops.

freezeblade wrote:Why don't more breweries make brown ales?

Of no help to you, but still relevant: one of my favourite local breweries made an Imperial Brown Ale that I tried on tap, and it was spectacular.

At the same pub, I tried the Mirror Pond Ale from Deschutes. I really like this beer, I think it's a perfect pale ale. However, the tap version was a little old! I was a bit disappointed.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:29 pm UTC

You know, I had a really bad experience with a skunked Deschutes on tap a while back. And that was much closer to Bend, where the brewery is, than you are. Probably just a coincidence though, that was years ago.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:56 pm UTC

I once had their porter on tap, and it was pretty delicious.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:13 am UTC

Uh, you mean, Objectively The Best Year-Round Porter In Existence, Second Only to its Special Anniversary Releases, the One, the Only, Deschutes Black Butte Porter?

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:04 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Uh, you mean, Objectively The Best Year-Round Porter In Existence, Second Only to its Special Anniversary Releases, the One, the Only, Deschutes Black Butte Porter?

Disagree, but only due to more specificity: Best year-round porter brewed in the US. Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith is my favorite of all time, but has the same problem as the nut brown, only comes in 22oz or 4-packs, and it's pricey.

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:23 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Uh, you mean, Objectively The Best Year-Round Porter In Existence, Second Only to its Special Anniversary Releases, the One, the Only, Deschutes Black Butte Porter?

That's the one.

Although, come to think of it, I'm not totally sure it was on tap. They may have just poured it from a bottle to a glass.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:29 am UTC

I don't know that I've ever had it on tap. I would love to, but it's just that good.

I have a bottle of Black Butte Anniversary Release XXIV in the back of the fridge that I bought myself as a reward for when I finish my stupid kitchen. It's, uh... I'm aging it. It's been aged. Being aged.

Goddamn I need to build that range hood.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:39 am UTC

Double post for Sam Adams Oktoberfest! To be honest, this is the only one of their beers I anticipate (or buy) anymore. But then, I can't get a lot of what's available back east, so they probably have some other good stuff I've forgotten or not tried. I did data entry in their office for half a week one time which taught me that they make a ton of beers I've never actually seen (perhaps because hardly any of the bottle shops were ordering them).

Anyway, yum. Big fan of this style and it's a very approachable rendition.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:11 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Double post for Sam Adams Oktoberfest! To be honest, this is the only one of their beers I anticipate (or buy) anymore. But then, I can't get a lot of what's available back east, so they probably have some other good stuff I've forgotten or not tried. I did data entry in their office for half a week one time which taught me that they make a ton of beers I've never actually seen (perhaps because hardly any of the bottle shops were ordering them).

Anyway, yum. Big fan of this style and it's a very approachable rendition.

Have you tried the Oaktoberfest from Firestone-Walker? Lovely, and I'm not usually a fan of lagers.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:48 pm UTC

Tried shock top, both the orange and the raspberry wheat.
both are good, i think the raspberry is my favorite.

gotta swing by Bevmo though, want to try some heavier lagers and the like.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:07 am UTC

I decided that it's finally cold enough now to drink porters, so I had this again for the first time in many months. On tap. This is seriously good stuff. It was one of the earlier beers I tried, so I'm coming back to it now with a little more experience. Still probably my favorite.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:25 am UTC

I've had so many good beers lately. Australia and New Zealand does not lack for good beer. Of note, super local, is Nail's Red Ale and Hughe Dunn Imperial Brown Ale. The red is a drinkable, hoppy, malty thing that I'm making sound like an IPA, but it's not. What do other people say... "Juicy, fruity hops, are supported by the perfect malt backbone with hints of toffee and mild hop bitterness finishing in harmony". Yep, I'd agree with that. The Hughe Dunn is a monster of a brown ale - rich, malty as hell, treacley, caramelly... It's a brown ale on steroids. Sounds weird I know! Brown ales should be easy drinkers. This one is, it's not tough going, but it is big and boozy. Nail is a Western Australian brewer that has just started exporting to the eastern states of Australia, and I couldn't be prouder. Of course there's Feral brewery, who are also great, and a bit bigger these days. I love their cold supply chain ethos.

What else is good? Well, Jos from the Garage Project in Wellington, New Zealand, came here recently and showcased their range. And what a range! Angry Peaches, Pernicious Weed, Death from Above, Umami beer, and Mecha Hop - it's all happening. I definitely recommend checking out their stuff. Totally interesting but totally great - no duds at all.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:20 pm UTC

Moa brews some delicious kiwi beer.

As in, beer from New Zealand, not beer with Chinese gooseberries in it. Or beer with flightless birds in it.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

roband

Postby roband » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:23 pm UTC

I had a New Zealand based beer once, it was blueberry flavour.

Never again.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:46 am UTC

I just found out that this is coming into stock at my local. I will get it ASAP.

I also found out that a liquor store has Black Butte XXVI in stock. I'm assuming this is one of those Special Anniversary Releases. I would definitely like to get some, but this will require a long-ass drive. Also, $37AUD.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:38 am UTC

Yes, that's an anniversary release, either the most recent or the second-most. I have XXIV in the fridge, which is the only one I've had on tap.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:39 am UTC

I just discovered bourbon-barrel aged porter. Hm. Mmm.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:54 am UTC

What porter is that? I'm interested.

I brought home a 6-pack of Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale yesterday. Haven't had this in around 6 years; it's as good as I remember. Possibly my favorite of theirs.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:46 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:What porter is that? I'm interested.

This stuff: http://seattlebeernews.com/2014/10/mari ... -tomorrow/

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:34 am UTC

Picked up a six pack of KCCO Black Lager. Quite a fan. It's smooth and "warmly" flavorful like a good stout or porter, but it's light enough to have after or with a large or heavy meal. It's got a mouthfeel somewhere between malty and dry, kind of like a lighter breakfast stout. Red Hook also describes it as "crisp," but I wouldn't. I'd call it a nice light winter beer. A fall beer? I'll be buying it again.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:53 pm UTC

I recently found another brown ale in the store (further up-thread is some ranting on the lack of brown ales I can find).

Nimbus Nut Brown Ale

I hadn't seen anything from the brewery before, and I'm always up for a brown ale. I place it just lower than Brekel's Brown by Anchor, and just above the likes of Downtown Brown from lost coast brewing, and Get Up Offa That Brown by Golden Road brewing.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:22 am UTC

Had some of Dogfish Head's Red & White on NYE with some friends. Not a miss and not really unpleasant in any particular way but not my favorite. The wine grape flavor is very present which makes it taste a bit confused, at least on my tongue. It made me want a glass of wine more than anything else.

I also have a bomber of Old Horizontal Barleywine from Victory. I don't think I've had any of their beers though I know I've seen the name and logo before. I'm a big fan of English-style barleywines, tend to be less of a fan of American-style barleywines, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. Haven't tried it yet.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:29 pm UTC

Jega wrote:...but you poisoned the thread with that title.

It's a commonly understood reference to the even more commonly misquoted line from Ben Franklin. The real one is about wine ("Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.") but is far less t-shirt ready.

After 1680 posts it's pretty clear that nothing is poisoned.

Bakemaster wrote:I also have a bomber of Old Horizontal Barleywine from Victory. I don't think I've had any of their beers though I know I've seen the name and logo before. I'm a big fan of English-style barleywines, tend to be less of a fan of American-style barleywines, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. Haven't tried it yet.

I too am a bit befuddled by super hoppy barleywine. At least when Dogfish does it with 120, they have the presence of mind to call it an IPA. :D

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:33 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
Jega wrote:...but you poisoned the thread with that title.

It's a commonly understood reference to the even more commonly misquoted line from Ben Franklin. The real one is about wine ("Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.") but is far less t-shirt ready.

After 1680 posts it's pretty clear that nothing is poisoned.

No, Az. All the food is poison. All of it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “Food”