Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Postby Azrael » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:37 pm UTC

Oh, right. Yes. Poison. How could I forget?

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:06 pm UTC

Drinking a bottle of Theakston's Old Peculier. Extremely one-note, but not bad apart from that.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:20 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Drinking a bottle of Theakston's Old Peculier. Extremely one-note, but not bad apart from that.

I've never been a fan of that one, which is interesting, because I love darker beers, and I love mollassas in baked goods (One of the flavor notes in Old Peculier is due to it's mollassas content).
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:45 pm UTC

It tastes like marmite.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:45 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Had some of Dogfish Head's Red & White on NYE with some friends. Not a miss and not really unpleasant in any particular way but not my favorite. The wine grape flavor is very present which makes it taste a bit confused, at least on my tongue. It made me want a glass of wine more than anything else.

My brother likes the Red and White, I prefer the Black and Blue.

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:27 am UTC

Thanks to Live Oak, I now understand why people drink Hefeweizen.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:48 pm UTC

I'm beginning to think Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout was some sort of wonderful hallucination. Can't find it anywhere...

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:52 am UTC

I have the same problem. It took me like six months to find it in stock at my local. Bought a couple bottles, drank them, and haven't found more.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:43 pm UTC

I found it! All you need is to have faith.

Or Beer Ritz in Headingley, England, if you're nearby. (Looks like a bit of a drive from where you are, SurgicalSteel!) Beer Ritz is where indie beer-drinkers go when they die. Bit expensive, but I have a bottle of a Brewdog beer labelled in Kanji. They're not going to stock that at ASDA.

I know what I'm doing tonight!

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:31 am UTC

Found some Black Butte XXVI on tap tonight. I love the regular Black Butte porter, but I hadn't tried the anniversary releases before. The XXVI was tasty, but a little cloying. A nice change of pace, but I'd prefer their regular porter most of the time.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri May 01, 2015 6:52 pm UTC

Drinking a Hogsback "Advent Ale". Because it was cheap.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun May 03, 2015 10:10 pm UTC

Sarah picked out Sierra Nevada's Old Chico in the store. I've had it before but didn't remember it as notable. It's actually pretty good after all.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri May 29, 2015 6:58 pm UTC

This beer I think might genuinely be one of the best in the world. Old Chimneys' Parnassus. They take a 9% DIPA and blend it with a golden ale to produce an IPA at 5.5% - you get the super interesting hop flavours of a DIPA but at the strength and freshness of an IPA.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:07 pm UTC

The special edition West Indies Porter from Guinness is delicious

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:54 pm UTC

It's pretty good, yeah. Not quite as good as the Export Stout (AKA Nigerian Guinness) - that's the full-bodied stuff of dreams.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:25 am UTC

That's the only Guiness worth talking about IMO. But I haven't tried the West Indies Porter and as an avid fan of all things West Indies, I must rectify this immediately.

I managed to get a carton of Sierra Nevada stout for $35 (AUD). Is it the best stout? No. But it's damn sure worth it at that price.

Founders have been kicking arse at the darkness lately though. Their Breakfast stout, Imperial Stout, Porter, Dark Penance and Backwoods Bastard... Wow. These are some very fine beers.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:08 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:It's pretty good, yeah. Not quite as good as the Export Stout (AKA Nigerian Guinness) - that's the full-bodied stuff of dreams.

It's very good, but full-on though. Couldn't handle more than 2 of the big (iirc) 660ml bottles without switching to something else after.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:07 am UTC

I had so many choices at the bevmo today for Dogfish Head brews that I haven't tried before, but I ended up reverting back to a 6-pack of indian brown ale, and after drinking one I remember why my brain made me do what I did. So good.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:11 pm UTC

Dogfish Head is a funny name to hear in the UK. They sold rights to use their name to a brewer called Wells who produces an insipid yellow liquid called DNA. It used to be severely overpriced, I think it's come down recently. It's not great in any case.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:14 pm UTC

jobriath wrote:I'm beginning to think Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout was some sort of wonderful hallucination. Can't find it anywhere...

meh. Was better than a breakfast/milk stout to me but still not what I wanted. Their oatmeal stout is far smoother and has more taste to boot. I still feel like there must be some magical coffee/chocolate stout type thing that will really work for me but this wasn't it.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:22 pm UTC

Had a "session ale" from speakeasy brewing recently called "suds"

Pretty tasty to my liking, I figure that they settled on the designation "session ale" because the influx of "session IPAs" that have been popping up by every brewery ever, combiend with the fact that americans on the west coast don't know anything about the concept of the British "bitter" style beers. The Alcohol percentage, malt, and hopping profile would put it in the catagory of "Special bitter" according to the BJCP. I'm a fan, because these are harder to find on the west coast, everyone seems to be all about super hoppy or big giant oak-aged stouts, I just want a tasty beer that I can have a couple, is complex enough to keep interest, but not so strange or strong that I can only have one.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:19 am UTC

I bought an 18-bottle box of Fullers Frontier lager a while back. Just over halfway through, and it's still really good. Can thoroughly recommend it for a dry-hopped lager with new world hops.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:49 am UTC

freezeblade wrote:Had a "session ale" from speakeasy brewing recently called "suds"

Pretty tasty to my liking, I figure that they settled on the designation "session ale" because the influx of "session IPAs" that have been popping up by every brewery ever, combiend with the fact that americans on the west coast don't know anything about the concept of the British "bitter" style beers. The Alcohol percentage, malt, and hopping profile would put it in the catagory of "Special bitter" according to the BJCP. I'm a fan, because these are harder to find on the west coast, everyone seems to be all about super hoppy or big giant oak-aged stouts, I just want a tasty beer that I can have a couple, is complex enough to keep interest, but not so strange or strong that I can only have one.

You tried Deschutes Mirror Pond Ale? It's delicious

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:55 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:
freezeblade wrote:Had a "session ale" from speakeasy brewing recently called "suds"

You tried Deschutes Mirror Pond Ale? It's delicious

I have! very tasty, but this one was much more malt-forward than Mirror Pond is, Red Chair by Deschutes is very nice as well.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:35 am UTC

Yeah, that's true, Mirror Pond malt is there but not massive. I've not had that one but everything else from that brewer is pretty good, so... I'll be sure to try it if I see it!

Another west coast brewer I just thought of: Peak. I have only had one beer from them, and it was a few years ago, but I remember it being very good. I think it was a pale ale?

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:31 am UTC

Currently drinking Lagunitas High Westified Imperial Stout. Delicious in a Black Butte Porterish kind of way, but with more chocolate and whiskey. And ethanol. Which I am currently feeling.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:28 am UTC

Had last night a traditional Mild - a 19thC recipe at 9% called Ring Your Mother.

This is why I love Buxton. I would say they can do no wrong, but their pale ales are pretty disappointing.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:16 pm UTC

Happened upon some Lagunitas Aunt Sally at my in-laws' house last week, some kind of sour ale. I don't drink those often but this one I liked enough to bring it home (since my in-laws didn't). Actually, nobody around here but me likes it. Hmm...

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:11 pm UTC

After nearly a decade of disliking/merely tolerating beer, I have finally found beers that I can consider enjoyable. Sweet stouts. Four Hands Chocolate Milk Stout. My god.

I am so, so thankful the Pacific Northwest-style "never met a hop they couldn't throw into the vat" craft beer tyranny has finally moved on.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:56 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I am so, so thankful the Pacific Northwest-style "never met a hop they couldn't throw into the vat" craft beer tyranny has finally moved on.

It's a long, slow process, but considering I just recently found a beer from freakin' Lagunitas (who could pretty much have your summation as their official motto) that managed to not taste like an IPA (and I've had full-fledged stouts from them that still had that over-hopped flavor,) I think we're finally headed in the right direction.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:31 pm UTC

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of craft beer, the romance of small independent breweries, but I don't know why it's taken a decade for the modern craft brewing movement to move away from the hop and for beer nerds to stop insisting that bitter = better.

jobriath wrote:I'm beginning to think Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout was some sort of wonderful hallucination. Can't find it anywhere...

This. This is my favorite sweet stout after the Four Hands. I find it regularly at liquor stores here in the American Midwest (Missouri, to be precise). Drinking it is a wonderful hallucination, to be sure.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:26 am UTC

You should try some brown ales, they are more malt-forward and traditionally not bitter. Also, milds. I did have an American Brown Ale that had a bit of hoppiness.

In generally I have a big problem with massive hops not balanced out by massive malts. I've had a few IPAs from American brewers which lack that balance. They smell great but are almost undrinkable.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:01 am UTC

I mean, I like a nice pale ale now and again, but it drove me crazy moving from the Midwest (where there's a whole lot more balance) to California, where the breweries produce about 47 different IPAs for every other variety... :/
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:30 am UTC

Me too, I actually really like a massive IPA now and then, but I'd go crazy without some variety. I even like a nice lager now and then, my favourite local brewer just started one and it's got enough flavour to keep me happy, and it's great since we're in the heat of summer at the moment.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:04 pm UTC

Brown ales are a favorite! California is slowly coming around to them, some California breweries that have good brown ales:

Anchor - Brekle's Brown
Alesmith - Nut Brown (used to be called nautical nut brown)
Calicraft - Oaktown Brown
Lost Coast - Downtown Brown
Golden Road - Get Up Offa That Brown

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:48 pm UTC

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try out brown ales next time I'm in a brewery.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of foods would you all pair with different kinds of beer?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:56 pm UTC

Brown Ale/Malty Pale/Stout: Shepard pie, french dip, etc. ("pub food" and the like)

IPA/Hoppy Pale/non-dark lager: Pizza, Asian Food (in general), Burger (cuts though the grease nicely)

Belgian/Funky/Sours: cured meats/cheeses, crusty breads

Preferences vary.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:03 am UTC

freezeblade wrote:Golden Road - Get Up Offa That Brown

I see a bit of Golden Road around, can't remember which one. Maybe their session PA. It's always a bit pricey though, having come such a long way.

With food pairings, I quite like Freezeblade's list, although I will say in general it's pretty hard to make a mistake, if you like both the food and the beer then you'll probably be fine. The only thing I have noticed is that with spicy Indian food, although a big pale or IPA is good, it can be a bit much after a while. I actually have found that a malty brown or non-hoppy stout or porter goes quite well as a soothing counterpoint.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:16 am UTC

dubsola wrote:You should try some brown ales, they are more malt-forward and traditionally not bitter. Also, milds. I did have an American Brown Ale that had a bit of hoppiness.

"Brown ale" is super varied. UK browns are as you describe, but many, many American browns are hoppy. I am always disappointed by hoppy browns, not what I look for in the style at all. Though I'm not a fan either of syrupy sweet browns like Rogue's hazelnut nectar. Moose Drool is a pretty good one from the midwest, I prefer it slightly over the more local Downtown Brown and I really wasn't impressed by Oaktown Brown. But YMMV, I think it's very much in what you're expecting going in...

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:21 am UTC

I totally agree with the statement that brown ales are super-varied. I don't really have any expectations other than 'do I like it', and since I like a bit of hoppiness I've fine with it. But I do love me some Moose Drool. I can get it in cans here now, and that's great.

Return to “Food”