Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

And I would argue that Corona is a fine beer.

And zenten, I believe that at least Budweiser refers to itself as a pilsner.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:26 pm UTC

It does not. It refers to itself as a lager despite being so close to Budvar (a definitive Czech Pilsner) that it has continually been sued over infringement issues.

The word "Lager" is often used to describe many beers in which it is of little if any real similarity to the German Style. The terms "Ale" and "Trappist" are similarly vague.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Neris

Postby Neris » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

My new favorite beer: Paulaner Salvator. I love the yard house!
"My God, man! Do they want tea?"
"No, I think they're after something more than that, sir. I don't know what it is, but they've brought a flag."

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:08 am UTC

mosc wrote:It does not. It refers to itself as a lager despite being so close to Budvar (a definitive Czech Pilsner) that it has continually been sued over infringement issues.

The word "Lager" is often used to describe many beers in which it is of little if any real similarity to the German Style. The terms "Ale" and "Trappist" are similarly vague.

Excuse me, I meant Miller Lite. I don't know why I said Budweiser.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

mosc wrote:It does not. It refers to itself as a lager despite being so close to Budvar (a definitive Czech Pilsner) that it has continually been sued over infringement issues.

Pilsners are lagers. Trappists are ales. Ales are ales (unless following stupid laws some states have regarding alcohol content). Lager and ale are the two top level categories of beer (ignoring meads and ciders), based on the yeast used in fermentation, with everything else coming from that.

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:17 pm UTC

yeah well, category names are not very consistent. Also, it's not like there aren't plenty of borderline beers between "Lager" and "Ale" as well.

I haven't actually heard miller advertise themselves lately as a "Lager" OR "Pilsner". However, Miller lite (lol spelling) ran a campaign where they advertised winning "Best American Style Light Lager" which I guess is fairly descriptive because this "American Style Lager" has become it's own type. It's own distinct bastardization of a pilsner.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

zenten

Postby zenten » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:27 pm UTC

I honestly thought that people were using it as an insult here, as that's the only way I've seen the term used before.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

mosc wrote:yeah well, category names are not very consistent. Also, it's not like there aren't plenty of borderline beers between "Lager" and "Ale" as well.

No, see, there may be a difference between what a brewer advertises their beer as, and what it is. It's pretty simple: ale: higher fermenting temperature with top-fermenting yeast; lager: lower fermenting temperature with bottom-fermenting yeast. Lambics are different since they're spontaneously fermented. There's some exceptions, of course, but that's really all there is to it. Virtually any other style of beer can be split into one of those groups.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I haven't actually heard miller advertise themselves lately as a "Lager" OR "Pilsner". However, Miller lite (lol spelling) ran a campaign where they advertised winning "Best American Style Light Lager" which I guess is fairly descriptive because this "American Style Lager" has become it's own type. It's own distinct bastardization of a pilsner.

Spoiler:

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

I just got back from "church" today. Brought me back something deeeeeeeelicious.

Rogue Dead Guy beer. Brewed in Oregon.

Incredible.

I realized something today about why I love beer so much. Basically, it stems from the fact that if you want something other than fruit juice to drink, it's pop (soda, whatever), water, or milk. Thats, like, it. Then, there are drinks with alcohol. I don't know what it is about alcohol, but it makes things that you would NEVER EVER DRINK just seem wonderful. Look at Jager, for instance.

Beer is just the epitome of this. With pop, it's like 'Hmm, pepsi or coke, since this grocery store I'm at doesn't sell anything else'. With beer (and wine, and just alcohol in general) you get to taste different ratios of things in a better fashion than food, since you can just swirl it around in your mouth. Even bad beer is great, because you can so easily tell yourself what you don't like about it. 'Too much hops' 'Too many bitters' 'Too sweet without any banana flavor'. Every beer is just so fundamentall different. Beer is like sudoku for the tongue.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

Yeah, in my opinion you're going to have a hard time going wrong with Rogue. Good stuff.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

Belial wrote:That's why I said "good vodka". If it has a flavor, it doesn't serve the only purpose vodka is fit to serve: a flavorless alchohol-additive.

:P

While I mostly agree, have you ever had flavoured vodka such as cherry/apple/vanilla? It's... interesting.

Anyway back to the main purpose of the thread - I don't know why I haven't posted in here yet, but by god I'm going to make up for it.

I have become in the last year a huge ale drinker. Lagers, pilsners, whatevers, have just nothing on bitters and ales for me. I try as many different varieties as I can but have difficulty remembering exactly which ones I really liked, so I'm going to start keeping a beer diary to help myself. Ones I remember being good;

Brains SA, Double Dragon and Rhymney Export (all Welsh beers)
Old Speckled Hen and Abbot Ale (both Greene King beers from the brewery in my grandparents' home town)
Bombardier, Tanglefoot, Bishops Finger, Goliath, Waggledance, Hobgoblin, Christmas Cheers, The Dog's Bollocks (which is brilliant if only to ask for a pint of the dog's bollocks) and Butcombe Blond.

Ones I remember seriously disliking - Hancock's HB, London Pride... can't remember any more really. I can't stand the taste of lager as a general rule nowadays. Which is rubbish as being in a student area, that's practically all the pubs serve.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Lenary

Postby Lenary » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

defintely (in reply to the tagline) except that i don't believe in god, so have changed it to open source, saying that free beer is a sign that open source loves us...
My Tumblog

[imath]you = me (awesome + clothes)[/imath]
solve for awesome if you're a hot girl
Spoiler:
[imath]awesome = \frac{you}{me} - clothes[/imath]

Jiggsy

Postby Jiggsy » Thu May 01, 2008 1:48 am UTC

I'm not sure if any of the other aussies in the forum have jumped in on this one (and i'll be disappointed if they haven't!).

I come from a country best known (IMHO) for it's distinctive love of beer... Real Beer... not the watered-down stuff that Americans (stereotypically) drink...

A few good ones from here are
* Tooheys Extra Dry
* Redback
* James Boags
* Pure Blonde
* Hahn Superdry
Oh, Miss Pacman, I would sex that bow right off your head. Eat those dots you naughty, naughty girl.- The Todd

zenten

Postby zenten » Thu May 01, 2008 2:07 am UTC

Jiggsy wrote:I'm not sure if any of the other aussies in the forum have jumped in on this one (and i'll be disappointed if they haven't!).

I come from a country best known (IMHO) for it's distinctive love of beer... Real Beer... not the watered-down stuff that Americans (stereotypically) drink...

* Tooheys Extra Dry
* Redback
* James Boags
* Pure Blonde
* Hahn Superdry

So why is it that your country is only known for Foster's? ;)

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu May 01, 2008 2:13 am UTC

zenten wrote:So why is it that your country is only known for Foster's? ;)
Exactly. If the US is going to get saddled behind Bud and clones, ignoring the plentiful really, really good beer, then Australians drink nothing but Fosters.

NOTHING BUT.

Jiggsy

Postby Jiggsy » Thu May 01, 2008 3:21 am UTC

zenten wrote:So why is it that your country is only known for Foster's? ;)

There's a simple answer to this question... We don't drink it, so we flog it off to people who don't know any better!

(And before the flame war starts, I'M KIDDING! Only about the 'not knowing any better bit. I seriously don't know anyone that drinks it, and it's a great laugh to go in somewhere and find it behind the bar)
Oh, Miss Pacman, I would sex that bow right off your head. Eat those dots you naughty, naughty girl.- The Todd

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu May 01, 2008 4:43 am UTC

Jiggsy wrote:I'm not sure if any of the other aussies in the forum have jumped in on this one (and i'll be disappointed if they haven't!).

* Tooheys Extra Dry
* Redback
* James Boags
* Pure Blonde
* Hahn Superdry

I preferred Toohey's New to Extra Dry, but I enjoyed pretty much anything that James Boags had to offer and Hahn was... okay. I can't believe that in a list of good Australian beer you failed to mention Little Creatures. That shit is... well, the shit.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Jiggsy

Postby Jiggsy » Thu May 01, 2008 6:21 am UTC

Shit! i can't believe i forgot that one! My sincerest apologies...

It seems to be a running thing, but once again, i blame work for my ignorance...

. o 0 (if only i could get paid to be on the xkcd forums...) *subtle wink at mods* =P

phaiakia

Postby phaiakia » Thu May 01, 2008 6:32 am UTC

I love Fat Tire. I guess it's harder to come by in states besides CO and AZ... but someone mentioned it earlier, so maybe it's not as scarce as I thought? Also, if you happen to have a BJ's Brewery (yeah, that's seriously what it's called) near to you, their Jeremiah Red is super. I'm pretty tiny, and it's 7.3%, so that's my "cheap date" beer.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Thu May 01, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

While I'm here, I'll mention that I absolutely *hate* Strongbow, despite all my non-beer drinker friends getting orgasms over it. Maybe it's just the fact that it's a cider, and not actually a beer, but I figured here is as good a place as any to throw that out there. I should also mention that it's the first cider I tried (and the ONLY one I've tried), so if anyone has any better suggestions for cider(s), let me hear them.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu May 01, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

yeah, woodchuck. Dark Amber.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Thu May 01, 2008 4:46 pm UTC

mosc wrote:yeah, woodchuck. Dark Amber.

They don't distribute in Canada. :(
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu May 01, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

* Tooheys Extra Dry
* Redback
* James Boags
* Pure Blonde
* Hahn Superdry

I had some Coopers the other night. It was really good.

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu May 01, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:

Aren't 90% of you bastards less than 50 miles from the US anyway? Take a car ride?

NOTE: Bastards is lovingly intended.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Thu May 01, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

mosc wrote:
mathmagic wrote:

Aren't 90% of you bastards less than 50 miles from the US anyway? Take a car ride?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en&ge ... 338867&z=8

And that's just the closest US city to me. God knows if Woodchuck ale is even sold there somewhere.

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu May 01, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

Well, I can't blame you for not wanting to go to Montana. I don't even think people who live Montana really want to go there (I kid, I kid). You know I do find it a little ironic though because my school was actually a little further away from the border than you are (on the south side of course) and we made trips up on YOUR side for the express purpose of alcohol consumption so I can't help but chuckle a bit. Course, our reasons were a little more significant than trying some Canadian cider but whatever.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Thu May 01, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

mosc wrote:You know I do find it a little ironic though because my school was actually a little further away from the border than you are (on the south side of course) and we made trips up on YOUR side for the express purpose of alcohol consumption so I can't help but chuckle a bit. Course, our reasons were a little more significant than trying some Canadian cider but whatever.

Emphasiz'd

Besides, I can't imagine cider being much better than what I've already had. I'll stick to beer.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri May 02, 2008 2:06 am UTC

But cider is way better than beer. For one, it actually tastes good! Is Hornsby's available where you are?
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Fri May 02, 2008 2:28 am UTC

phaiakia wrote:I love Fat Tire. I guess it's harder to come by in states besides CO and AZ... but someone mentioned it earlier, so maybe it's not as scarce as I thought? Also, if you happen to have a BJ's Brewery (yeah, that's seriously what it's called) near to you, their Jeremiah Red is super. I'm pretty tiny, and it's 7.3%, so that's my "cheap date" beer.

I'd say Fat Tire is pretty common as far as micro breweries go in the States. You can certainly find it all over Tejas.
mathmagic wrote:While I'm here, I'll mention that I absolutely *hate* Strongbow, despite all my non-beer drinker friends getting orgasms over it. Maybe it's just the fact that it's a cider, and not actually a beer, but I figured here is as good a place as any to throw that out there. I should also mention that it's the first cider I tried (and the ONLY one I've tried), so if anyone has any better suggestions for cider(s), let me hear them.
Here's a suggestion. DRINK MORE STRONGBOW! I'm not really a cider fan, but I do love STRONGBOW (that's right, it's in all caps).
mathmagic wrote:
mosc wrote:
mathmagic wrote:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en&ge ... 338867&z=8

And that's just the closest US city to me. God knows if Woodchuck ale is even sold there somewhere.
Tell you what. Move to America, and I'll buy you a beer. Well, I guess in this case a cider. Even better, a cider, and if you don't like it, then a beer.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri May 02, 2008 3:23 am UTC

* Tooheys Extra Dry
* Redback
* James Boags
* Pure Blonde
* Hahn Superdry

I've had Toohey's New at an Outback. It was delicious!
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Fri May 02, 2008 5:28 am UTC

Flying Betty wrote:But cider is way better than beer. For one, it actually tastes good! Is Hornsby's available where you are?

But beer *does* taste good... I couldn't tell you whether Hornsby's is available in Calgary, as it appears that they don't have a website.

22/7 wrote:Here's a suggestion. DRINK MORE STRONGBOW!

I figure that I *would* get used to it/grow to like it, much like it took 2 or 3 beers for me to love the taste of beer. I'm not quite giving up on it yet. :)

22/7 wrote:Tell you what. Move to America, and I'll buy you a beer. Well, I guess in this case a cider. Even better, a cider, and if you don't like it, then a beer.

Done and done. Well, how about I just *visit* the States? And you buy me a beer first, so that I don't have the taste of cider in my mouth when I start on the beer. :razz:

Lenary

Postby Lenary » Fri May 02, 2008 7:05 am UTC

Scrumpy Jack cider is good (definitely available in UK, not sure other places, also high alcohol content for a cider)
also ever tried perry?
it's cider made with pears. it is far sweeter, almost too sweet for some peoples tastes. Ikea sells some, but it's far too sweet. i found other stuff in sainsbury's the other day but can't remember what it was.... very good though... perry is also good when used to dilute eldeflower cordial...very refreshing, and quite sweet.
My Tumblog

[imath]you = me (awesome + clothes)[/imath]
solve for awesome if you're a hot girl
Spoiler:
[imath]awesome = \frac{you}{me} - clothes[/imath]

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri May 02, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

Tonight's beers:
Grand Ridge Moonshine
Red Hill Scotch Ale

Love inna glass, both of 'em.

Jiggsy

Postby Jiggsy » Sun May 04, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:I've had Toohey's New at an Outback. It was delicious!

That's like the Tradesman's beer... if you liked New, Extra Dry will go down like Ambrosia... =D

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Mon May 05, 2008 12:40 am UTC

2 most recent beers.

Goose Island (Chicago company) Kilgubbin Red Ale
About an 8/10 overall. Very solid beer, Goose Island makes some good stuff.

Schell's Stout (the 2006 Snowstorm for midwesterners)
This was their 2006 Snowstorm Brew, back by popular demand. Legend goes that it was a recipe that they found in some archives from 60 odd years ago. They trusted the recipe... they brewed up about half the season's worth of it without tasting it, and got a hit. This is really a fantastic stout. Very very pleased with it, another 8/10... but I personally like it a biiiit more than the Goose Island.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Mon May 05, 2008 1:05 am UTC

I recently (read: last night) tried Alexander Keith's Red Amber Ale. It was crisp, but was quite acidic, and not a very clean finish. I mentioned Kokanee Gold earlier on in the thread (another amber ale), and I would say that Keith's amber ale had a bit more of a bite to it. Kokanee Gold is definitely a lot smoother, but the Keith's amber ale was a good change from the usual Keith's India Pale Ale.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Sat May 17, 2008 12:10 am UTC

My votes (the ones I can get in Kroger or everywhere):

Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat
Tap Room No. 21 Pale Ale or Lager
Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter
Bridgeport Stout
Hoegaarden (draught only)
Warsteiner premium dark
I used to like Harp, but I think I've lost the taste for it, probably because Tap Room is so much better.

There are some I like when I'm able, like:

Abbaye des Rocs Grand Cru
St. Bernardus ABT 12
Victory Storm King
De Proef (or any) Flemish Sours

For people who don't like beer I generally recommend Lindeman's Framboise, even though it is very expensive.

GMontag

Postby GMontag » Sat May 17, 2008 12:19 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Dogfish 90 Minute IPA
Spoiler:
IPAs (India/Imperial Pale Ale) are arguably the most "Trendy" beer out there and the Dogfish is a very good example of why. Incredibly strong (not shy about it's 9.0% ABV) punch of hops that the majority of beer drinkers will find overkill. Traditional IPAs like the definitive Sierra Nevada Pale Ale are quite popular but increasingly we are seeing stronger variants often called Imperial India Pale Ales (I2PA) or "Double IPAs". The Dogfish 90 minute is one of the finer examples out there. Certainly not for everyone but one that might start you down the path of IPA love

Am I the only person who doesn't think the DFH 90 or 120 minute IPAs are good examples of the style? Now don't get me wrong, I love my IPAs, but DFH's IPAs have too much malt that gets in the way. They are far closer to barley wines than to other American IPAs. To me, the IPA should be a natural extension of the Pale Ale style exemplified by the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, or the Deschutes's Mirror Pond Pale Ale. To me, the definitive IPA is the Bridgeport IPA, and the definitive double or imperial IPA is the Stone Ruination IPA.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Sun May 18, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

I like beer.

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

Return to “Food”