Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

cypherspace

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Postby cypherspace » Mon May 19, 2008 9:57 am UTC

Flying Betty wrote:But cider is way better than beer. For one, it actually tastes good!

Get out.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

eds01

Postby eds01 » Sat May 24, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

I'm heading over to Israel in a couple of days (going on birthright, and then just staying in Haifa for a week). Seeing as I'm 18, I can legally drink there (and up in Canada about a week after I finally get back home). Any suggestions of what I should try in Israel? I've not had much beer before; I'm more familiar with wine because of my dad, the oenophile.

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon May 26, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

eds01 wrote:I'm heading over to Israel in a couple of days (going on birthright, and then just staying in Haifa for a week). Seeing as I'm 18, I can legally drink there (and up in Canada about a week after I finally get back home). Any suggestions of what I should try in Israel? I've not had much beer before; I'm more familiar with wine because of my dad, the oenophile.

You can only drink legally in Canada in some places, 19 is the more common drinking age.

And I have no idea on what kind of beer you can get in Israel, sorry.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue May 27, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

Get some HeBrew! I don't know if it's any good, but how can you go wrong with that name?

micco

Postby micco » Tue May 27, 2008 7:38 pm UTC

So far every beer I have tasted has tasted rather bad. But I hope that I get a pleasant suprise today, for I have a bottle of Okells Aile smoked celtic porter in my drawer.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue May 27, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

micco wrote:So far every beer I have tasted has tasted rather bad. But I hope that I get a pleasant suprise today, for I have a bottle of Okells Aile smoked celtic porter in my drawer.

... if you haven't liked beer before, I seriously doubt that a smoked porter is going to hit the spot.

micco

Postby micco » Tue May 27, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

But it sure did. This is by far the best beer I have ever had.
EDIT: Well, the same thing that allways happens with beer happened again. I could drink only about 1/3 of the bottle, then I star to feel like vomiting. Guess I`ll just stick with whiskey and ciders.
Last edited by micco on Tue May 27, 2008 8:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue May 27, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

if you like that, you might like other porters. I am a huge porter fan and it's a pretty under-rated genre (and with very few examples). Anyway, here's a top 5

1) Samuel Smith: Porter
2) Rogue: Mocha Porter
3) Flat Earth Brewing Company: CX (Porter)
4) Maniunk Brew works: Porter (good luck finding THAT outside of Philly)
5) Sierra Nevada: Porter
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Sat May 31, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

So there's this place in Calgary called Bottlescrew Bill's, and they have the largest beer list I've ever seen (PDF document).

Anyway, I've decided to post what beer(s) I've tried and enjoyed at this place so far! They have something called around the world in 80 beers, where you get a "passport" and you check off what beers you have until you have all 80 that are on the list they give you. I just started it last night, and have tried 4 different beers so far: Affligem Blond, König Ludwig Weiss, Caffrey's Irish Ale, and Delirium Tremens.

My favourites were: König Ludwig Weiss (Royal Bavarian Hefe-Weizen) and Affligem Blond. The Affligem reminded me of a mild honey brown lager; sweet taste and an easy and clean finish. The König Ludwig was a lot bolder and malty than the Affligem, and had a very crisp finish.

It should be noted that the Caffrey's ale was quite disappointing, as it was quite flat and flavorless. I figure it was because the server poured it incorrectly, but I'd like to hear from someone who has had this ale before, tell me if it was supposed to taste that way.

All in all, a very good experience of trying new beers from around the world! :)
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:19 am UTC

I've had mead, and mead destroys beer. Honey wine for life!

Does anyone homebrew their alcohol?

*If anyone is going to ask if the mead was metal and/or viking inspired - i first drank it in a hand made ampitheater in the middle of a redwood forest made by a transient black metal band watching said band play...so yes =/
"the time will come when men such as i look upon the murder
of animals as they now look upon the murder of men"

---
leonardo da vinci

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:So there's this place in Calgary called Bottlescrew Bill's, and they have the largest beer list I've ever seen (PDF document).

150 beers? Amateurs.

http://www.lovethebeer.com/beer-list.html

I'd go more often if they weren't a little on the expensive side.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
mathmagic wrote:So there's this place in Calgary called Bottlescrew Bill's, and they have the largest beer list I've ever seen (PDF document).

150 beers? Amateurs.

http://www.lovethebeer.com/beer-list.html

I'd go more often if they weren't a little on the expensive side.

I was going to say something about a place in Boston with ~500 ... but that place's 1000 is pretty hard to match.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

They hold the Guinness World Record, although they only tend to have 600-800 actually in stock at any given time.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:23 pm UTC

The Heorot. Suck on that, chitlins. Sure, it's not 1000 beers, but it's easy to be a regular, the beer's not particularly expensive, and most nights you can meet the owner (also used to own the local games shop) by ordering a beer.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Chaz

Postby Chaz » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:41 am UTC

mathmagic wrote:Fleeting Thought: Whenever I hear "IPA", I think of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale, and I don't find that particularly strong/overpowering... it tastes more like a lager with a bite. I'm not sure if anyone who's had Alexander Keith's can attest to this or clear this up though.

It's not an IPA by any stretch of the word, though I think it's better than the rest of the Canadian big lager brews like Molson, Labatt, Kokanee, etc. When I lived in Canada for a few years that's what I'd drink if I couldn't find any Canadian micros at the bar.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:08 am UTC

Chaz wrote:
mathmagic wrote:Fleeting Thought: Whenever I hear "IPA", I think of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale, and I don't find that particularly strong/overpowering... it tastes more like a lager with a bite. I'm not sure if anyone who's had Alexander Keith's can attest to this or clear this up though.

It's not an IPA by any stretch of the word, though I think it's better than the rest of the Canadian big lager brews like Molson, Labatt, Kokanee, etc. When I lived in Canada for a few years that's what I'd drink if I couldn't find any Canadian micros at the bar.

That's what I find as well. Either Keith's or Kokanee Gold for me, if they don't have a Sleeman's or a Rickard's on tap.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Also, I recommend Bass on tap, but caution against drinking it out of the bottle. It definitely loses something. In fact, tap beer surpasses bottled beer in most scenarios. Especially when in that glorious wonderland known as Hofbrauhaus.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:05 pm UTC

Some people prefer draught beer to bottled (or canned) so much that they'll actually get a, say, Budweiser or Corona on tap rather than a bottled beer of "higher quality".

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Lenary

Postby Lenary » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

Qoppa wrote:I like beer.

So do I.

Isn't that the point of this thread as opposed to debating the different beer types and whether or not we like them...
i'm probably wrong, knowing my luck
My Tumblog

[imath]you = me (awesome + clothes)[/imath]
solve for awesome if you're a hot girl
Spoiler:
[imath]awesome = \frac{you}{me} - clothes[/imath]

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

A thread full of "I like beer!" is boring, useless and lame. A thread full of "I like *this* beer!" is interesting, helpful and good.

eds01

Postby eds01 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
eds01 wrote:I'm heading over to Israel in a couple of days (going on birthright, and then just staying in Haifa for a week). Seeing as I'm 18, I can legally drink there (and up in Canada about a week after I finally get back home). Any suggestions of what I should try in Israel? I've not had much beer before; I'm more familiar with wine because of my dad, the oenophile.

You can only drink legally in Canada in some places, 19 is the more common drinking age.

And I have no idea on what kind of beer you can get in Israel, sorry.

I can drink in Canada about a week after I get home because I turn 19 near the end of this month (i.e. about a week after I get home). I live over in buffalo, so I can get to Niagra Falls or St. Catharines without too much trouble, and can make it up to Toronto with only a little more. What good beers do you guy's know of in that area, if any?

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

So I'm Australian and 16 and am slowly getting acquainted with the wonders of beer. So far I like Pure Blonde, Corona and Crown Lager. I dislike Carlton Draught intensely and am not a fan of Coopers, though I'll drink it if it's the only thing there.

Anything similar to the ones I mentioned above, affordable and easy to procure that people can recommend me?
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:30 pm UTC

I can't help you because I won't drink Corona if it's free and enjoyed Coopers the time I had it so.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

l33t_sas wrote:So I'm Australian and 16 and am slowly getting acquainted with the wonders of beer. So far I like Pure Blonde, Corona and Crown Lager. I dislike Carlton Draught intensely and am not a fan of Coopers, though I'll drink it if it's the only thing there.

Anything similar to the ones I mentioned above, affordable and easy to procure that people can recommend me?

Quality trumps quantity in any standardised test, when it comes to alcohol. One should never drink to get drunk, but drink to enjoy. An alcohol connoisseur will never become an alcoholic, because they will drink to taste, rather than alter mental state.
Corona is fizzy bat-piss, but I haven't tried memorable other alternatives, so stick with it if you like it. Use a slice of lime, rather than lemon, and push down with your thumb until you seal the bottle. Tip the bottle upside down and let the lime float up to the bottom of the bottle. That mixes in the lime nicely. However, I am not one for adding fruity nonsense to my beer, so I avoid beverages improved by sliced lumps of fruit (besides gin & tonics).
For blonde beer, go Belge. Belgian beer is the finest blond beer in the world, bar none. It's stronger, and more bittersweet, and all-round better than any other beer. I think there's only a few worldwide available Belge-blonds, and one of those is Leffe. That's far from being the best Belgian beer, if you ever find Kwak beer--and its accompanying bottle--beg, borrow and steal from that old lady in the corner to acquire it.

Learn to hate cheap beer. Canned Fosters, like Carling, Carlsberg, and most Pils are all vile contemptuous beverages, drunk by morons who have no respect for their taste buds or brains. In fact, avoid cans, as the metallic taste soon becomes too permeating to tolerate.

Quickly become associated with fine spirits. Yes, they seem more expensive in bars, but you will consume fewer, and therefore save money. Get your hands on a good gin, and ask for a gin martini, but with angostura bitters in. Hope any elegant young lady is around you as you ask that, because that is chick catnip, man. Just kidding, but it does give the near quinine-free modern gin & tonic a nice kick. If you go for Vodka, forget Smirnoff; if anything go for Stolichnaya. But--and this may be contentious here--not the best vodkas are Russian-made.

I've gone way off base here. Uh, yes, cheap beers = canned urine. Pabst Blue Awesome being the exception, rather than the rule.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Use a slice of lime, rather than lemon, and push down with your thumb until you seal the bottle. Tip the bottle upside down and let the lime float up to the bottom of the bottle.

Warning: Make sure you have a good grip on the bottle before you turn it upside-down. I was doing this once and the condensation on the bottle made me lose my grip. The bottle fizzed up and launched a few inches upward covering my hand in limey bat-piss.

The only acceptable fruit-in-beer combo is limes in Mexican beer. In Mexico, this has been a practice for decades, as they often use limes in the neck of the bottle to keep insects out. The beers there have been brewed with the expectation that they will be enjoyed with a lime, so a fruit addition here is acceptable.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:28 pm UTC

l33t_sas wrote:So I'm Australian and 16 and am slowly getting acquainted with the wonders of beer. So far I like Pure Blonde, Corona and Crown Lager. I dislike Carlton Draught intensely and am not a fan of Coopers, though I'll drink it if it's the only thing there.

I drink Pure Blonde if only for the low carb quality. Crown is not so bad. But Corona? C'mon.

I like Little Creatures, Coopers, Squires, James Boag. I recently tried Barefoot Radler. This is a funny one. It has lime and lemon infused into it. It's not quite fruity, so I think I like it.

The Belgian beers are awesome. Head down to Dan Murphy's. My local one has a surprising array of Belgians.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:43 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:The only acceptable fruit-in-beer combo is limes in Mexican beer. In Mexico, this has been a practice for decades, as they often use limes in the neck of the bottle to keep insects out. The beers there have been brewed with the expectation that they will be enjoyed with a lime, so a fruit addition here is acceptable.

Can anyone speak to the legitimacy of the tradition of adding a slice of lemon to hefeweizen?

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:One should never drink to get drunk, but drink to enjoy.
I could not disagree with this more. I am certainly one to enjoy the taste of my alcoholic beverages, whiskey and beer being my favorites, but to say that alcohol should never be ingested for intoxication is pretty much the same as "no drug should ever be used for its ability to alter the chemical balance in your body", which rules out pretty much everything from cocaine to antibiotics.

Get drunk if you want to, kids, as long as you're being safe about it.

Felstaff wrote:Corona is fizzy bat-piss
Am I the only one who doesn't think that Mexican beers are intrinsically shit? I've got no problem with Corona. It's certainly not the most flavorful beer I've ever had, but that doesn't meant it's shit. I feel like a beer needs to compliment the situation. I find Corona to be particularly refreshing on a hot day (the lime helps with that, but it's not particularly necessary), and good at barbecues, especially those that involve Mexican foods. I feel similarly about Tecate (though I don't find it nearly as refreshing). I don't think I would ever couple something like an IPA with a cook-out, though I far prefer them to the so-called "bat piss". I'm just saying that it's not worthless, as far as beer goes.

Also, fruit your beer! Not all of it, of course, but the ones that you feel like fruiting. @Azrael, I can't speak to the legitimacy, exactly, and I'm not really sure what you mean by it. However, I've noticed that (at least around here) oranges are fairly common in Hefs.

Edited kind of late because I just realized I screwed up.
Last edited by 22/7 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

I do not like Corona.

I do like Negra Modelo.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:54 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:The only acceptable fruit-in-beer combo is limes in Mexican beer. In Mexico, this has been a practice for decades, as they often use limes in the neck of the bottle to keep insects out. The beers there have been brewed with the expectation that they will be enjoyed with a lime, so a fruit addition here is acceptable.

Can anyone speak to the legitimacy of the tradition of adding a slice of lemon to hefeweizen?

It's a German thing. They drink this mix of lemonaid and beer almost exclusively in some places. If you go to octoberfest in munich, probably the most common drink will be a massive mug (more than a liter) filled with 50% beer and 50% lemonaid.

If you want to experience this yourself, I suggest rolling rock and frozen concentrate lemonaid mix. Take a six pack and throw in the lemonaid. Also you can add in grain or other vodka if you want more punch, you won't taste it.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Chaz

Postby Chaz » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:17 am UTC

Azrael wrote:Can anyone speak to the legitimacy of the tradition of adding a slice of lemon to hefeweizen?

It's an American thing, you won't find it in Germany on a Hefe (sans sometimes on Kristalweizen). Same thing goes with lime and Corona unless you're in the touristy cities, it's not exactly a traditional thing as some people like to state and the whole "to keep the bugs out" is a myth.

However, as mentioned above there are beer cocktails featuring lemonade in Germany (Radler) and lime juice in Mexico (Michelada).

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:10 am UTC

Felstaff wrote: However, I am not one for adding fruity nonsense to my beer, so I avoid beverages improved by sliced lumps of fruit (besides gin & tonics).

This is fact. I don't care for something that comes bottled incomplete.
22/7 wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't think that Mexican beers are intrinsically shit?
It's not intrinsically shit, but I find Corona to be very bad, yes. What gets me about Corona most, though, is that it's fucking sold as a premium beer when it should be stuck on the bottom shelf squarely between Keystone and Milwaukee's Best. I get so angry when I go to an otherwise nice restaurant and they have Heineken and Corona as their "top shelf" and they don't offer Sam Adams or even Yuengling.

My favorite outdoor beer is Modelo Espacial in the can. It's actually better than in the bottle (I've only had it in the bottle two or three times, and I can't explain this phenomenon). Dos Equis Amber is delicious, as is Negra Modelo. I drank a lot of Tecate when I was in Mexico and found it to be good for the party atmosphere, and there's another brand I liked that's not coming to me.

The amazing thing to me is that the best beers in the world are made right here in the ewe ess of ay. When I was first learning to drink beer and not mass-produced gunk that's intended to be flavorless, American beers just about didn't exist. Other than Belgian deliciousness, I could easily live my life drinking only American beers. There are a lot from England and Ireland that I love, but I could live without them for a lifetime of Old Stock Ale.

I can't believe that I'm just joining a beer thread in page 5, but I want to list some of my favorites.

If you see this, buy it. It's an annual barley wine. Let it sit a year or two. Don't drink much, though. It starts at almost 12% and goes up in the bottle. One of my drunkest episodes was 3.5 of these, and I'm no lightweight.

Same people, nearly as good, but it's year-round and easier to drink. This brewer doesn't make anything that sucks, but these are some special brews.

Scottish Ale done right.

Dogfish Head is in Delaware, but they make some intense brews. Among their regular stuff I like 60 Minute IPA, Indian Brown, and Raison d'Etre rises above these. They also have 90 and 120-minute IPAs that are insane and they do some $7/bottle stuff that's worth buying just to experience. World Wide Stout and Immortale are crazy. IIRC, WWS is around 21%, the highest ever in a natural brew.

Yum, and stuff. ;)

Thinking about when people say they prefer really light lagers like corona when it's hot out, I think I'd rather have a British ale in almost every instance. Bass, Speckled Hen, and Newcastle are far from heavy beers, and I htink better to drink than any lager.

Crazy good.

I'm getting tired (and thirsty). Mocha Porter, Dead Guy Ale, Terrapin Rye, so many others. I do really love beer. Really.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:39 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:The amazing thing to me is that the best beers in the world are made right here in the ewe ess of ay.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *falls off chair*

Other contributions: Lemonade and beer is done here too, it is called a shandy. I have never had one because lemonade belongs with vodka. l33t_sas, have you tried Blue Tongue? I am not huge on beer but I rather like that one. Might be a bit pricey for you, though. I also like Cascade Premium Light. I can't remember the price of that one, though. It is Tasmanian, but do not let that scare you off. :P

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:49 am UTC

hermaj wrote:
MotorToad wrote:The amazing thing to me is that the best beers in the world are made right here in the ewe ess of ay.

I've had Foster's. You have no room to laugh, and I have to assume you have this reaction out of ignorance. Seriously, read up on it. Google any list of "the best beers in the world" and most results are American microbrews. The top results are usually Belgian, but that's to be expected as they had a 400-year head start! :P

Certainly a lot of the worst beers are brewed here (and most of the rest of them in Mexico), but we do make a ton of incredible beer.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:14 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:
hermaj wrote:

I've had Foster's. You have no room to laugh, and I have to assume you have this reaction out of ignorance.

Yeah, and she's probably had Budweiser.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:15 am UTC

I have. Also, no true Australian drinks Fosters! That is the crap we send off to you people because we've tried your stuff and we figure you don't know any better. :P

Chaz

Postby Chaz » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:27 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:Image

Yeah, it's not in the glass, but Westvleteren is simply amazing. I have some 6, 8 and 12 cellaring right now from my last trip to Belgium.
North Coast's Pranqster is simply fantastic since you're on the subject of them. I drink Old Rasputin quite a bit since it's on tap at one of the bars I frequent.

It's actually better than in the bottle (I've only had it in the bottle two or three times, and I can't explain this phenomenon).

Why would you think that bottle would be better than a can? Cans are a much superior package than glass all around in my opinion yet there's this stigma (not saying you have it) that many people have that canning is bad, even Rodenbach cans their beers in Belgium. New liners inside the cans don't give the beer a metallic taste anymore, cans are easier to recycle, lighter weight so they cost less to ship, less product loss from breakage, light can't penetrate and skunk the beer, bottle caps aren't always on perfectly which can lead to oxidation, yadda yadda. Many craft breweries are starting to can, even New Belgium now. Taste an imported beer in the can and bottle side by side and many times you'll be amazed at the difference, almost always with those in the green and clear bottles which are often light struck and skunky.

On the subject of American Beer being fantastic... This year's World Beer Cup featured 644 breweries from 58 countries with 2,864 beers entered in 91 beer style categories. 129 judges from 21 countries participated in this year’s competition, working in teams to conduct blind tasting evaluations of the beers and determine the Gold/Silver/Bronze awards. 64 percent of the judges were from outside of the United States. Brewers from the United States won 185 awards of the 268. Congrats to the Australians with 6 medals, one, maybe even two of them were golds. :lol:

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:
MotorToad wrote:
hermaj wrote:

I've had Foster's. You have no room to laugh, and I have to assume you have this reaction out of ignorance.

Yeah, and she's probably had Budweiser.

Just because we produce some of the worst, doesn't mean we don't *also* produce some of the best, see previous post.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:05 pm UTC

@motortoad: I certainly like a good pint of Old Speckled Hen when it's hot. Old Peculier as well is a superb beer. But my favourite in that sort of weather, mentioned before, is Waggle Dance, as it has just that slightly sweet flavour to it.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

I love the idea that all American beer is shit because of Budweiser. The US was extremely well respected for their beer before the Great Depression (when Budweiser, Miller, and Coors all changed to rice), and as Chaz so generously pointed out, the US isn't doing half bad in international competition these days, either.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Return to “Food”