Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Postby Mathmagic » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:See, at the bars here, spending $4 on a Miller Lite bottle is not uncommon and can actually be cheap in some places. Happy hours aren't included in this, of course. I actually rarely drink at home anymore.

Bar prices != Beer store prices
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:Oh me yarm beer! I don't know where to start. And if I do, I probably won't ever stop. Since many wonderful beers have already been mentioned, I shall just say to the newbies that the beer that made me start to like beer was Newcastle Brown Ale.
That's funny. My brother used to hate beer until I offered him a Newcastle and ever since he's been broadening his beer horizons.
SecondTalon wrote:
22/7 wrote:Oh, c'mon. PBR isn't that bad.
Yes. It is.

I HATE YOU!
Have you ever actually had a PBR? As far as cheap beer goes, they're really not that bad. I'm certainly not a hipster (though I am quite hip. tucka-tucka-tucka-tucka-tucka huuught), but I do enjoy a PBR on occasion, though, again, I'm more likely to be on a camping/climbing/canoeing trip than at home if I'm drinking it.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:See, at the bars here, spending $4 on a Miller Lite bottle is not uncommon and can actually be cheap in some places. Happy hours aren't included in this, of course. I actually rarely drink at home anymore.

Bar prices != Beer store prices

I'm well aware. But as I said, I don't really drink at home, so bars are where I get my beer.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:Have you ever actually had a PBR? As far as cheap beer goes, they're really not that bad. I'm certainly not a hipster (though I am quite hip. tucka-tucka-tucka-tucka-tucka huuught), but I do enjoy a PBR on occasion, though, again, I'm more likely to be on a camping/climbing/canoeing trip than at home if I'm drinking it.

Yes, I have. I had some, I drank it, and I hated myself. There's a problem with your statement, however.. cheap beer is not meant to be drunk by civilized humans. I'm not entirely certain what it's purpose is, other than keeping a covercharge at frat parties under a couple bucks.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:06 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
22/7 wrote:Have you ever actually had a PBR? As far as cheap beer goes, they're really not that bad. I'm certainly not a hipster (though I am quite hip. tucka-tucka-tucka-tucka-tucka huuught), but I do enjoy a PBR on occasion, though, again, I'm more likely to be on a camping/climbing/canoeing trip than at home if I'm drinking it.

Yes, I have. I had some, I drank it, and I hated myself.

I promised myself I wouldn't hate on Budweiser until I tried some myself. I had some, and I hated myself as well. There's a reason why beers (and just about anything) get reputations.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:06 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Yes, I have. I had some, I drank it, and I hated myself. There's a problem with your statement, however.. cheap beer is not meant to be drunk by civilized humans. I'm not entirely certain what it's purpose is, other than keeping a covercharge at frat parties under a couple bucks.

To be fair, I'm dirt poor right now. If I always bought the kind of beer I wanted to drink (rather than the cheap stuff) I wouldn't be able to make rent. So that's what cheap beer is for.
mathmagic wrote:I promised myself I wouldn't hate on Budweiser until I tried some myself. I had some, and I hated myself as well. There's a reason why beers (and just about anything) get reputations.
And that's all fine and well, but reputations (for beer) are no different than stereotypes. I also don't really like Budweiser, but I'll drink a Bud or a Bud Light if that's what's being served. I prefer Miller (until recently, oddly enough) and I also prefer PBR if we're sticking to cheap beer. I also like Tecate, though it's not nearly as cheap. That said, I really enjoy good beer, but I just can't afford it often, and so when people come over (like they are about to) we drink cheap beer.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Tau_Zero

Postby Tau_Zero » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:03 am UTC

I guess it really comes down to priorities. While the masses were purchasing large quantities of shit for cheap to drink several times a week with lots of people, my buddies and I decided we'd much rather save our money, buy the good stuff (beer and/or otherwise), and drink with less frequency and with a smaller crowd (much better, imo, to actually meet people and not just meet them), but be able to enjoy every moment. I'm not saying I won't drink what's provided to me at someone else's shindig, but when we're handling it, we want to do it well.

A lot of really good suggestions and beer discussion so far :D
ImageImageImageImage

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

Please turn that around for a second and listen to how that sounds. If my friends are having a good time, it's being done right, regardless of what beer is being served.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Tau_Zero

Postby Tau_Zero » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:Please turn that around for a second and listen to how that sounds. If my friends are having a good time, it's being done right, regardless of what beer is being served.

Maybe I didn't express myself clearly enough. What I meant to say was that the decision of cheap/lots of beer/people vs more expensive/less of beer/people will depend on your priorities. For some, the former is a perfectly fine choice and they have a grand time. For others, like myself and my circle of friends, we value the latter more. Basically what I'm getting at is that I don't think the cheap vs expensive beer debate will ever have a conclusion due to differing priorities and personalities. I think this post is more clear, but I could be just confusing things more :P
ImageImageImageImage

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
mathmagic wrote:I promised myself I wouldn't hate on Budweiser until I tried some myself. I had some, and I hated myself as well. There's a reason why beers (and just about anything) get reputations.
And that's all fine and well, but reputations (for beer) are no different than stereotypes.

I would have to disagree with you there. Beer reputations are established based on personal experience and word-of-mouth; stereotypes are judgments based on preconceived ideals and ignorance.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:35 am UTC

I have to say I agree.. I'd rather save my pennies and get the occasional sixpack as a treat than drink horrific beer that's only purpose is that it can get you drunk.

Nyquil can do the same thing, and for far less cash. Doesn't mean I'm going to make it my drink of choice.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:52 am UTC

mathmagic wrote:
22/7 wrote:
And that's all fine and well, but reputations (for beer) are no different than stereotypes.

I would have to disagree with you there. Beer reputations are established based on personal experience and word-of-mouth; stereotypes are judgments based on preconceived ideals and ignorance.

Stereotypes are also based on personal experience and word-of-mouth. Those preconceived ideals and ignorance are simply different words for them. Your preconceived ideals are basically word-of-mouth, but from the people who help mold your ideals. And the ignorance is pretty much the same thing but with personal experience. If I hear from all my friends and family that black people are evil and then I happen to have a one or two bad experiences with black people...
SecondTalon wrote:I have to say I agree.. I'd rather save my pennies and get the occasional sixpack as a treat than drink horrific beer that's only purpose is that it can get you drunk.

Nyquil can do the same thing, and for far less cash. Doesn't mean I'm going to make it my drink of choice.
And that's fine. I prefer good beer, too. But right now I flat out can't afford it. In a few months, sure, I'll be able to. But I enjoy beer in general and I enjoy drinking it, and short of not doing that but once or twice a month... well, my hand is kind of forced.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:28 am UTC

22/7 wrote:
mathmagic wrote:
22/7 wrote:

Stereotypes are also based on personal experience and word-of-mouth. Those preconceived ideals and ignorance are simply different words for them.

What!?

Preconceived ideals are opposite personal experience, the key-word being "preconceived". The ideals aren't preconceived if they're formed after experiencing something.
22/7 wrote:And the ignorance is pretty much the same thing but with personal experience. If I hear from all my friends and family that black people are evil and then I happen to have a one or two bad experiences with black people...

That's called bigotry, not ignorance.

But anyway, this is going way off-topic here. Why can't we all just love beer for what it is. :(

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:32 am UTC

mathmagic wrote:Why can't we all just love beer for what it is. :(
Hey, y'all were hating on it, not me.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:45 am UTC

A few people wrote:PBR
Gross.

Someone else wrote:Negro Modelo
I approve. It tastes like STEAK!

Western PA wrote:Yuengling
I am so glad I live in Pittsburgh, within a few miles of more breweries than I can count on my two hands. Yuengling's Black and Tan is my drink of choice.

Hefeweizen is pretty damn good. Magic Hat makes a decent one, Circus Boy, which the local bar sells at $1/pint! $1/PINT!
I also enjoy Magic Hat's 24-ct variety pack. #9, Circus Boy, Hocus Pocus, and Mystery Flavor.

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

Beer fact (and horrifying macrobrew fact)

Keystone light is coors light. It's true. Brewed in same tanks, taken from same batches (though higher in the tank and lower in quality/flavor than even coor's light). They don't advertise for it is the only difference (besides where it is in the water/beer column)

So, remember that Coors light is basically Keystone light next time you drink it.

Actually... just don't. Don't drink it.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

see, as a person who doesn't actually LIKE coors light's "flavor", I actually prefer keystone light. Not that either are culinary wonders but if you put the two cans in front of me, I'd pick the keystone. Can I taste the difference? Yes. I played pong with both one time and it was a significant difference in flavor.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

In a completely unrelated matter, I am sure that one could taste the difference between cat and monkey urine, if you were to try them both.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

My only point was, while you can hate on whatever beer you want, some of us are still (and for another couple of months will continue too be) too poor to regularly buy the good stuff all the time. I happen to be one of those people until late May/early June.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

kid c wrote:my favorite beer ever would be boulevard wheat, but its quite hard to find... as in i cannot find it anywhere in illinois. but besides that i stick with the following

Boeulevard IS good! Luckily it is all over Kansas.

Anyways, Pabst Blue Ribbon is the best of the cheap beers. Guinness and Sam Adams are also good beers.

Whatever you do don't get Heineken-those suck. They taste like Pabst filled with cheap vodka and spit in it-and are expensive to boot. At least Pabst comes out to about 50 cents a can or so where I live.

Check out local breweries for good beer!
Live with passion. Die with passion.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:some of us are still (and for another couple of months will continue too be) too poor to regularly buy the good stuff all the time. I happen to be one of those people until late May/early June.

I repeat:
joeframbach wrote:Magic Hat makes a decent one, Circus Boy, which the local bar sells at $1/pint! $1/PINT!

Just move here. Problem solved.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:
22/7 wrote:some of us are still (and for another couple of months will continue too be) too poor to regularly buy the good stuff all the time. I happen to be one of those people until late May/early June.

I repeat:
joeframbach wrote:Magic Hat makes a decent one, Circus Boy, which the local bar sells at $1/pint! $1/PINT!

Just move here. Problem solved.

Yeah, I saw that and wanted it immediately. Random question, what year are you again?

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

I never tried that circus boy one. I hated #9 so much and some of their other varieties that I haven't had much faith in magic hat since. Seriously how anyone can drink #9 is beyond me. It's a bad lambic and I don't even like lambics.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:54 am UTC

Have you tried Framboise? It's fantastic.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:56 am UTC

Here is a list of beers I would expect any connoisseur to have tried due to their availability and significance to the beer culture. It should make an ideal checklist for those out there wanting to know what beers they should be looking to try. My intent was not to give you a list of my favorites or of the best beers in general but instead to provide a list of extremely high quality beers that are relatively easy to get and are good examples of their styles.

Pilsner Urquell
Spoiler:
This should be the Pilsner on your list. Pilsner is the dominant beer of Eastern Europe and was the main influence behind the "american style lager" (budweiser, coors, miller, etc). The pilsner style is fairly light and bubbly with a moderate alcohol content, strong hops flavor, and an easy drinking back end. The Czech people drink more beer per person than just about any other country out there (more than Germany, US, Belgium, UK) and Pilsner Urquell is arguably the most famous example of their taste. A visit to the capital city of Prague (which I thoroughly enjoyed) will introduce you to a world where there are dozens of Pilsner Urquell bars throughout the city and they only serve one beer. Any conversation of Pilsners usually starts and ends with Pilsner Urquell.
Guinness Draught
Spoiler:
Far from my favorite Stout but an extremely easy to find beer of very high quality. Definitely the easiest to find beer I will list. Guinness is an excellent beer both in terms of taste and also being one of the best nitrogen beers out there. The "thickness" or "smoothness" most people associate exclusively with Guinness is mostly caused by using Nitrogen rather than Carbon Dioxide as the "carbonation" (yes, that word doesn't quite work right). However, Guinness is not the only beer to use nitrogen. Those looking to expand their nitorgen beer tasting list should check out Belhaven, Beamish, and Murphys. Belhaven is notable because it's not a stout at all. It's a very light ale which in combination with the nitrogen becomes a very easy drinking and smooth beer (good for ppl who don't really like any beer bite at all like many women). Anyway, Guinness and these other nitrogen beers are best on tap but if you can't get them on tap make sure you at least get them in a CAN. The bottled versions of these beers cannot use the nitrogen widget as easily (yes, that little white thing that bounces around in there is a widget and it's what makes the nitrogen work it's magic). Guinness has tried recently to put a widget in a bottle but the results, frankly, suck.
Trappistes Rochefort 10
Spoiler:
This is the "highest rated" Beer on the list. It's actually not terribly difficult to find either however it usually carries a hefty price tag. Frankly, any person who has not tried this beer is not a connoisseur at all. The Belgians are the real kings of beer with more styles and more breweries than you can summarize in an encyclopedia. This definitive example is what we call a Trappist or Abbey Ale or "Quadrupel" (mostly referring to it's 11.3% alcohol content being 4x a "normal" beer) which is a fairly dark and extremely flavorful beer with an abundance of alcohol. Belgian beers are in general far more complex and multi-dementional and this beer is no exception. You want to drink this beer slowly and in small quantities (the bottles are <11oz anyway) and take time with each sip to "chew" and pause after swallowing to allow the flavor to evolve. Comparing the dynamics of flavor in this beer to say, Bud, is like comparing Michael Jordan in his prime to some random high school player. It's a whole other universe.

I like to classify Belgians by their general hue. Other Excellent Dark and strong Belgians of note include (but are not limited to) Dilerium Nocturnim, Maredsous 10, St. Bernardus Abt 12, and Chimay Reserve (blue). Also if you find these beers too strong, you might try the Rochefort 8. It's much the same flavor but a little less intense (9.2% ABV although it tastes less). Some Belgian styles (dark or light) can have strong "fruity" flavors in addition to the traditional beer grains as well and will taste fairly different from the beers listed above.
Duvel
Spoiler:
The other end of the Belgian Beer Spectrum is Duvel. In general this style gets called "blonde" or "belgian strong pale ale" or similar. It's a light colored beer but with considerable flavor and depth. Duvel is a superb example and easily one of the most common Belgian beers to find. Duvel is extremely smooth on the front end and deceptively easy drinking despite it's 8.5% ABV. Also of note is it's extremely bubbly texture. It's important to open and poor Duvel carefully to preserve as many of those bubbles as possible. I highly suggest a true Belgian Beer glass but a brandy sifter or a thin wine glass will work in a pinch. Think of it like champaign and you won't be too far off.

Unlike most Belgian blondes, Duvel has very little "fruity" flavor and mostly features more traditional beer grain tastes making it an excellent introduction into blondes (often called "whites"). It is notable that most blondes will contain a large fruity bite not found in Duvel. Another definitive belgian blone is Dilerium Tremens. Also notable is that the blonde style is the most associated with "Belgian" and is often imitated by micro-brews as "belgian style". Blue Moon (actually made by Coors) is the common example of a "Belgian style" beer which is really a semi-fruity blonde Belgian style but there are many many others.
Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter
Spoiler:
Porters are an unknown style somewhere between an ale and a stout. They are best described as extremely dark yet crisp ales. The best known example of this underrated style is easily Sammy Smith's Taddy Porter. Almost singlehandedly defining this type on it's own, this beer matches the strong flavor of a stout with the easy drinking of an ale. Other notable porters are few and far between but do exist. A follow up would be Sierra Nevada Porter or Rogue's Mocha Porter which adds a very slight coffee and chocolate taste to the classic porter.

This is also a good beer to introduce you to the wonderful line of beers made by Samuel Smith. Of all the brewerys in the world, Samuel Smith is among the best at putting out stellar examples of a huge variety of styles (Rogue also comes to mind). It's porter and bitter are arguably the world's best at their styles. It's stouts are amongst the most well rounded you will ever taste. Almost everything they make is amongst the top beers of it's style in the world. Besides their porter featured here, I would urge you to check out their Oatmeal Stout, Imperial Stout, India Ale (IPA), and classic "Tadcaster" Ale
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Spoiler:
The word "Lager" describing a beer can mean a great many things. This has lead to a lot of confusion over what a Lager actually tastes like. Lagers are generally described as a very old style beer with lots of hops and a strong bite (bitter beer hit) but a clean and easy drinking finish. Typically this is classified as a German style and associated with "German Purity Laws" which call for beer to contain only 4 ingredients: Hops, Malt, Barley, and Yeast. This differs from the "American Style Lager" which is much lighter and is more similar to a Pilsner than a German Lager. Anyway, Sam Adams is a very fine example of a traditional Lager featuring a strong hops bite (and 4.75% ABV) with a smokey yet refreshing finish. Also it obeys German Purity laws for what a Lager is required to be. Easy to find, it's definitely one you need to try at least once but will probably end up drinking quite often even if it's not one of your favorites. Other notable Lagers are the classic german Spaten, Harp and Yuengling Lager. In Pennsylvania, Yuengling is just referred to as "Lager" hinting at it's textbook flavor (or it's hard to pronounce brand...)

Sam Adams is probably the most famous "Micro-Brew" and has many other beers that are widely tasted by connoisseurs but it is notable that very few are well received. Many are considered quite poor. The Boston Lager is definitely the brewery's claim to fame but if you are looking for examples of a variety of styles and have limited availability locally, Sam Adams is a good place to start.
Rogue Imperial Stout
Spoiler:
Welcome to the world of "extreme" beers. Rogue is a wonderful brewery with many styles and this is probably not even their best beer (I'd give that honor to the Shakespeare Stout) but it is a good one to hunt for. These days it is marketed exclusively in large 22oz ceramic bottles marked Xs (presumably for experience or extreme) that will run you $10-$20 each. Don't hope of drinking that all by yourself (11.0% ABV) in one sitting. Anyway, this beer is as thick as motor oil. You are picturing something thick but make what you are thinking of twice as thick and you're probably still coming up short. This is a super stout. An extreme sensation even an experienced beer drinker will be dumbfounded by. Today's beer connoisseurs are finding this level of beer increasingly appealing. Not for the faint of heart, this beer is extremely demanding on the palate and should be consumed sparingly to be appreciated. If you are looking for just a superb stout, I'd point you to the earlier linked Shakespeare Stout but if you are one who has always said "I want more flavor" well, this beer is amongst the "mostest".

Rogue is not the only maker of a high powered and explosively flavored Stout. Many other breweries use a similar philosophy in their "Imperial" (meaning strong) Stouts. Also, Rogue and other breweries have made Imperial versions of other beer types with equally extreme personalities. Rogue's Imperial India Pale Ale is another example. If you can't get enough super stouts check out Kate The Great and Stone Imperial Russian Stout. In fact, if you find an extra bottle of that Stone Stout, I'll happily pay for it, pay you some money, and pay for some shipping. I'd LOVE to get a taste.
Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse
Spoiler:
This is the most generic and authentic version of the wheat beer (german: Hefe-Weisse). A very drinkable beer that favors a different take on beer creating a smooth and bitterless beer. The wheat beer is fairly different from most other beers which has lead some people to reach the "I only like wheat beers" type attitude. The truth is wheat beers are an incredibly wide genre which is common Germany, Belgium, and growingly so in the US. Other notable but extremely different tasting wheat beers include Hoegaarden White and Blue Moon
Dogfish 90 Minute IPA
Spoiler:
IPAs (India/Imperial Pale Ale) are arguably the most "Trendy" beer out there and the Dogfish is a very good example of why. Incredibly strong (not shy about it's 9.0% ABV) punch of hops that the majority of beer drinkers will find overkill. Traditional IPAs like the definitive Sierra Nevada Pale Ale are quite popular but increasingly we are seeing stronger variants often called Imperial India Pale Ales (I2PA) or "Double IPAs". The Dogfish 90 minute is one of the finer examples out there. Certainly not for everyone but one that might start you down the path of IPA love
Bass
Spoiler:
One of the oldest and unchanged beers out there, Bass is a great example of a standard "Ale". Strong consistent flavor in a crisp refreshing package that makes for a solid bar drinking beer, Bass is a staple of upscale bars around the world. Perhaps best described as the dead center middle of beer varieties, even the generic and nebulous term "Ale" seems appropriate. Medium in color and medium in most else as well, Bass is an excellent beer to compare others to.

For those that enjoy traditional Ales (mostly British/Scottish/Irish in origin), I would also recommend Smithwicks (pronounced "smidicks"), Newcastle Brown Ale, and Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale.
Also, I'll mention my favorite beer just for fun: St. Bernardus Tripel. It's not really a dark Belgian (like Rochefort) or a light Belgian (like Duvel) but definitely somewhere near the middle between them. To me, this is the most complex beer I have ever tasted and easy drinking as well. The ~8% ABV is almost tastless. This beer starts ever so smooth and almost a little sweet and evolves dramatically as it sits in your mouth. The finish is smoky more in tune with a dark porter/stout type beer. Personally I detest Sweet beers and I generally like only the least sweet Belgians but the Tripel mixes in the best parts of that characteristic Belgian depth without falling into an overly sweet overpowering twinge. If balance itself could be described in beer form, it would be St. Bernardus Tripel. Surprisingly refreshing (more so than any beer I can recall), this beer leave you begging for more.
Last edited by mosc on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:06 pm UTC, edited 13 times in total.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:27 am UTC

22/7 wrote:Have you tried Framboise? It's fantastic.

Yeah I tried it once because it almost looks like my last name. Wonderful. Fantastic.
@your earlier question: I'm graduating in 4 weeks.

@mosc: Could you just show beer names and spoiler the details? It's a bit... lengthy. (thats what she said)

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

ok, spoiler tags added.

rob insurgent

Postby rob insurgent » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

i drink pbr because it's five dollars for twelve of them.

however, doghead fish 90 minute ipa is godlike.

Spoiler:

bow your head, infidel.

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

eh, it's too strong and demanding for me. I dislike most IPAs. The finish is sloppy on them as well. The dogfish one is definitely one of the best for what it is but I personally think the entire "double IPA" thing is a fad.

rob insurgent

Postby rob insurgent » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

yeah come to think if it i'd rather drink samuel smith nut brown or something.

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:16 pm UTC

wait, what? You agree with me? You're supposed to say "nuh uh! IPAs are the best beer evar and all other beers are watery crap! You're just not MAN enough to drink it."

rob insurgent

Postby rob insurgent » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

nah i don't agree with you, i still really enjoy a good ipa, you just can't sit around drinking them all night.

which is what i like to do :D

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

What does the "xx-minute" part mean?

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

The length of the boil time during which hops are added. The typical high quality IPA is a 60 minute boil.

Larger number, more hops.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

mosc wrote:eh, it's too strong and demanding for me. I dislike most IPAs. The finish is sloppy on them as well. The dogfish one is definitely one of the best for what it is but I personally think the entire "double IPA" thing is a fad.

What do you mean when you say "sloppy finish"? I really enjoy IPAs, and I really enjoy the dogfish head (it's dogfish head, mosc!). I understand that some IPAs are not very good, I've had a number of them that were very hoppy but felt hoppy for the sake of being hoppy, rather than the hoppiness adding to/complimenting the taste of the beer (unhappy Mozilla spell check is VERY UNHAPPY!).

My favorite IPA, and quite possibly my favorite beer, is the Breckenridge 471, by the way.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:18 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Bass
Spoiler:
One of the oldest and unchanged beers out there, Bass is a great example of a standard "Ale". Strong consistent flavor in a crisp refreshing package that makes for a solid bar drinking beer, Bass is a staple of upscale bars around the world. Perhaps best described as the dead center middle of beer varieties, even the generic and nebulous term "Ale" seems appropriate. Medium in color and medium in most else as well, Bass is an excellent beer to compare others to.

For those that enjoy traditional Ales (mostly British/Scottish/Irish in origin), I would also recommend Smithwicks (pronounced "smidicks"), Newcastle Brown Ale, and Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale.

Ahh, Bass.. the beer that taught me that I actually do like beer.

I do find it amusing, though, that three of the four mentioned there (Bass, Smithwicks, Newcastle Brown) are my standard rotation, usually working out to 2 Sixpacks of Bass per 1 of Smithwicks and Newcastle purchased. Still, no mention of Shiner Bock or any form of Bock at all?

Though..well, quick research shows me why Shiner Bock wasn't mentioned.. stuff is apparently harder to find than I thought.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Though..well, quick research shows me why Shiner Bock wasn't mentioned.. stuff is apparently harder to find than I thought.

Much to my family's chagrin. They're all big fans, but Shiner is not prominent back home. In fact, I have yet to find it in any of the boardering states, either.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

@22/7: Different strokes for different folks. IPAs (and especially strong ones) are defiantly popular these days, especially amongst adventurous beer drinkers. I don't mean to criticize your taste but it's just not for me. What do I mean by "sloppy finish"? I mean that the beer hits you like a sledge hammer and fades to a burnt resolution extremely quickly. It's like a fire cracker going off in your mouth and the swallow and aftertaste are both dry and one-dimensional. I greatly prefer more subtle and complex beers.

@SecondTalon: Yes, you'll noticed I linked to only two German beers. Partly that is because you start getting into very confusing discussions about the meaning of "ale", "bock", "Lager", and similar terms. Also it's because very few German beers are widely appreciated internationally and easy to find outside of Germany. In the US, Ale drinkers generally prefer British/Scottish/Irish Ales to their German counterparts.

I've never actually had Shiner Bock although I think I have seen it once or twice (again it's not that common). My "ale" of choice is usually more of an Irish style Red and pretty far from a German Bock. The stigma I guess is that most German styles are dry and characterless. Some people really dig the simplicity but for someone who lusts after Belgian complexity, I generally am looking a little further west... so to speak.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Though..well, quick research shows me why Shiner Bock wasn't mentioned.. stuff is apparently harder to find than I thought.

I love me some Shiner Bock. It's reasonably easy to find here, too. :)

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

Fleeting Thought: Whenever I hear "IPA", I think of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale, and I don't find that particularly strong/overpowering... it tastes more like a lager with a bite. I'm not sure if anyone who's had Alexander Keith's can attest to this or clear this up though.

Return to “Food”