Wine!

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Nebuduck

Re: Wine!

Postby Nebuduck » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

Drinking some lovely Pedro Ximenez right now. Do not disturb.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

I would really love to know more about wine. Right now, I could name a few styles, like shiraz, chardonnay, but I have no idea what they are. I know there are red and white wines, basically.

I do love my beer, though, including many styles that most people dislike (non-lagers basically).

Can anyone point me to good resources for finding out more about wine? Besides the liquor store obviously. Perhaps something geared to a beer lover?

If anyone wants to suggest me a good starting off point, I would love to find something that tastes like the wine I had in Spain - Yllera: red, made in Castille, all Tempranillo grapes (I have a good memory)

Thanks, everyone!

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:54 am UTC

the_stabbage wrote:If anyone wants to suggest me a good starting off point, I would love to find something that tastes like the wine I had in Spain - Yllera: red, made in Castille, all Tempranillo grapes (I have a good memory)

Thanks, everyone!

Try Rioja and Coronas, the former being the most well known red from Spain, and the latter being largely Tempranillo, with Cabarnet Sauvignon. Just for starters, anyway.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:40 am UTC

This past week I tried two unfamiliar wines at Sarah's grandmother's house, the first being a very enjoyable white merlot and the second being a somewhat borderline chenin blanc. I haven't seen white merlot sold anywhere before this; it was a darker blush than white zin, and tasted pretty much as expected from the color and name—similar to white zin, but with a stronger, more characteristically red flavor. I think over time I could grow to prefer it to white zin with any substantial meal.

The chenin blanc had a faint tang of carbonation. I've had whites like that before and never really enjoyed them; I don't know if it's to be expected, or the sign of a subpar wine. It wasn't really a bad wine, but it didn't make me want to go out and try another chenin blanc.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:17 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:The chenin blanc had a faint tang of carbonation. I've had whites like that before and never really enjoyed them; I don't know if it's to be expected, or the sign of a subpar wine. It wasn't really a bad wine, but it didn't make me want to go out and try another chenin blanc.

Technically, that's a fault. It comes of either pressure building in the fermentation tank, which leads to carbon dioxide dissolving, or fermentation continuing in the bottle, much like a bottle conditioned beer. The bottle is a great deal more likely. It can happen to any wine, just like cork taint. It isn't really about the standard of the wine, more an unfortunate accident that should really be caught by quality control. Occasionally it can get to be quite serious. A faulty bottle of St Hallet Gamekeeper's Reserve once almost made me throw up after two sips, and the next day the bottle literally had a head, like beer.

So, not indicative of the typical chenin blanc.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:13 am UTC

I've been trying a lot of cheaper (in price, I don't know much at all about wine) reds recently. I'm a beer drinker, so a lot of reds taste like other reds to me and whites like other whites. That said, I've started to develop a taste for cabernet sauvignon and shiraz. I'm in Tejas, so a number of them are from the area (many from south Texas), which I'm finding quite good, but like I said, I know essentially nothing about wine. Anyone know enough about Texas wines to recommend anything?
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:46 am UTC

Cryopyre wrote:Boone's Farm!

you sir or madam, are fired.

I was actually about to start a "can i get some cheese with that w(h)ine?" thread, and I'm still torn on posting this here or in the cheese thread...

But seriously. I need cheese and wine pairings. Or just food and wine pairings. I'm learning how to taste coffee and put it with food at work, and now I'm REALLY interested in doing this with wine as well. A great restaurant 'round these parts has a wine tasting/pairing every wednesday evening, but I don't really have the time to GO to that every week (or even once a month when I remember) so I'd like to start at home.

Suggestions? I'd also like a bit of WHY they go together, if you can put it in words. Thanks =]

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:44 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:But seriously. I need cheese and wine pairings. Or just food and wine pairings. I'm learning how to taste coffee and put it with food at work, and now I'm REALLY interested in doing this with wine as well. A great restaurant 'round these parts has a wine tasting/pairing every wednesday evening, but I don't really have the time to GO to that every week (or even once a month when I remember) so I'd like to start at home.

Suggestions? I'd also like a bit of WHY they go together, if you can put it in words. Thanks =]

Maybe start traditional, and see if that appeals to your palete? Get a bottle of decent red Burgundy (ask a good wine retailer for advice, Burgundy can be very complicated), and pair it with soft, white french cheese, like brie. Apparently that's something the locals there do, and I can attest to it being a plan. Failing Burgundy, get a Pinot Noir, which is the grape burgundy is made out of, and ask for it to have a drying finish, with decent acidity. These are the two things that let a wine cut through the flavour of food, and without them it's very hard to complement one with the other.

As usual, this is rule of thumb advice, and doesn't hold for all situations. But it's a good start.

aligator1

Postby aligator1 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:50 am UTC

i like wine! i work in a wine analysing lab, the perks are pretty good, lol

i cant remember who it was that started this thread, but you sound like you are about the barossa valley.
generally i seem to like most reds, and whites that are really crisp and light, wolf blass gold label riesling is really nice, and so is grey label cab sav. there is a penfolds one i really like, it is under 20 bucks too, supposed to be best value for dollar, might've been a shiraz cabernet. personally i don't like bin 389, i know it is supposed to be 'baby grange', but it is way too astringent, not saying that others wouldn't like it though.
i could ramble for a long time

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

Last night I brought home a bottle of Loosen Brothers' 2007 "Dr. L" Riesling, on the recommendation of a guy at the liquor store. Different store from the one where I got the good recommendation a while back for a Thomas Halby cabernet. It was $13, which is pretty much the middle range of my wine habits, but considering what I can get in other stores for $10 and under, I was not really impressed. It wasn't as sweet as the Rieslings I've had in the past, which was fine, but it was also a bit harsh. Fine with dinner (vegetable pakoras and rice) but when the food was gone I had no desire to keep drinking it.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Tried a red wine last weekend: a Beaujolais. The bottle said it was medium-bodied with a taste of cherries. I definitely got cherries, like really young red ones. Next time I'd like something a little less fruity in a red, maybe with black cherry taste :P. All you Eastern Europeans, you know what kind of cherries I'm talking about.

I'm gonna try a white wine next, either a Riesling, or a New Zealand Cabernet Sauvignon, because I've heard good things about both.

I'm still not "used" to wine. When I was getting into beer, I thought generic lager was bitter and I couldn't drink it fast. I can't drink wine fast either (Half a bottle of the Beaujolais took me 3 hours to get through), it does taste a little strange and acrid, but I can definitely see myself appreciating the stuff. Now when I go for beer and I hear it tastes like tree sap or an old barn I get excited, so hopefully something like that happens for me with wines.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:35 am UTC

aligator1 wrote:i cant remember who it was that started this thread, but you sound like you are about the barossa valley.

Sorry, way off. I'm all about drier wines with less over the top fruit and fine acid. Barossa is mostly too over the top for me. But that's my taste, not what I consider to be good wine, which is a much wider church than just what appeals to me.

Bakemaster, if you want a dry riesling, look out for the word "Kabinett" on German wines, along with "Trocken". Trocken just means dry, and might not be specific enough, but Kabinett is a wine law defined term that governs the ripeness of the grapes and the amount of sugar in the wine. Kabinetts tend to be very dry, but with citrussy fruit. If you see "Spatlese" or "Auslese" those are sweeter, with residual sugar. You can still find dry versions of them, but the Kabinett is the best bet. It's cheaper too. The Rheingau and Mosel-Saar-Ruhrwehr are usually the best regions.

Stabbage, you'll do well to find a white Cabernet Sauvignon anywhere, it's one of the darkest of red grapes. You probably mean Sauvignon Blanc, which the Kiwis are famous for. They're a good introduction to white wine, very forward fruit, and soft acidity. They're very, very popular, and rightly so. Good luck acquiring a taste for wine, it'll stay with you lifelong.

I'm tasting the range of Francis Ford Coppola wines next week, and I'll be interested to see how they go. I'm told he's responsible for some very good Napa valley stuff, although I'll be tasting the Sonoma wines.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:29 am UTC

Yeah, I meant Sauvignon Blanc. Newbie mistake :oops:

I saw Francis Coppola wines at the booze shop, but they struck me as something to stay away from. I wouldn't trust a movie director with wine making. However, if they are good, I give you a challenge: pair them with his movies.

Anyone ever had any Romanian wines? Apparently Romania's like the 9th biggest producer of the stuff (after all the good countries :P )

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:59 am UTC

the_stabbage wrote:Yeah, I meant Sauvignon Blanc. Newbie mistake :oops:

I saw Francis Coppola wines at the booze shop, but they struck me as something to stay away from. I wouldn't trust a movie director with wine making. However, if they are good, I give you a challenge: pair them with his movies.

Anyone ever had any Romanian wines? Apparently Romania's like the 9th biggest producer of the stuff (after all the good countries :P )

Yeah, the Rosso and Bianco really aren't great, but at the price are quite impressive. The higher end stuff I haven't gotten around to yet. And for the record, he's not the wine maker, he's the owner. Ignore the terrible labels. Movie pairing will have to wait until I do the actual tasting. Wednesday or thursday.

I have had a few romanian wines, but nothing of a quality worth commenting on, all industrial stuff of little or no character. The better stuff, by reputation, is worth seeking out.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:25 am UTC

I must go check the label of the excellent white I finished last night...

One of the nicest ones I've tried so far.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

We shared a bottle of Cycles Gladiator last night - the cabernet. I really enjoy that wine quite a bit, and it's relatively cheap ($9-12 depending on where you buy it). Unfortunately the cabernet is the only one I've been able to find at local shops, and they have a variety of wines. Where to find them?
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Here, I suppose. No details about stockists, but they'll ship them to you.

The packaging on those wines works really well. I never thought a nude woman ad a bicycle could make a good wine label. Pity they'd cost $30 or more over here...

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

Last night Sarah brought home a wonderful wine: EOS Lost Angel 2007 Muscat Canelli from Paso Robles, California. This is the fruitiest wine I've ever had. The guava flavor is very strong, while the apricot was mostly in the smell. I can't say that I noticed the honeysuckle or peach that they claim on the label. It's very light, sweet enough to be a dessert wine, but not so sweet that I wouldn't serve it with dinner. Sarah says it would be an absolutely perfect 4th of July wine, or with a fruit and cheese plate, and that October isn't really the season for it, but she enjoyed it as much as I did.

Not the wine to buy if you're looking for a traditional white wine taste, as the fruit is not grape-y and is far stronger than the alcohol (11.5% ABV), but I would strongly recommend trying it if you are into sweet wines. It would go well with grilled or baked fish or chicken, especially with citrus or summery fruits (as opposed to cranberries, for example). Sarah says it would go with any Indian curry that was made with coconut milk, and that sounds reasonable to me. Our bottle was $14 from Liquor World in Porter Square, a place where I've had good wines every time I didn't ask for employee suggestions. Hmm...

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:12 am UTC

the_stabbage wrote:I saw Francis Coppola wines at the booze shop, but they struck me as something to stay away from. I wouldn't trust a movie director with wine making. However, if they are good, I give you a challenge: pair them with his movies.

Almost forgot about this...

Sadly, most of the wines would go well with this. Sugary sweet, fairly one dimensional, but a decent example of the style.

Some selected impressions, of about half the wines tasted, without going into too much detail:

"Diamond" Chardonnay: Lots of toasted oak, and too much sulphur.
"Director's Cut" Chardonnay: Still oaky, but more subtle, but with little fruit and less acidity.
"Diamond" Pinot Noir: Earthy style, red fruit on the nose, good colour. Lacks character, and disappointing finish.
"Director's Cut" Pinot Noir: Very pale, low extraction, little nose. Sticky tannins, weak fruit, hot, alcoholic finish.
"Diamond" Merlot: Impressive structure, subtle but present fruit, heavy tannins, but well done. Surprisingly good.
"Diamond" Claret: Whoever called this Claret is a little confused about what Claret is. It isn't a few particular grapes used together, it's a very old, well established style of wine, and it has very little to do with saccharine sweetness. The slander this does to Bordeaux is the reason appellation controls were invented. However, if you like reds to be succulent and sweet, this is a good wine. If you were expecting red bordeaux, you'll feel robbed.

There's a clear house style here. It's big and round, cloying tannins and rich oak, and with sugary sweetness everywhere. I'm told, though I can't speak from experience, that this is "Californian", but here it just seems to be a mass market style, designed to appeal immediately and offend as little as possible, even at the expense of quality. Only the Pinots were genuinely disappointing. Measured against what this grape is capable of, it's hard to see why these were released at all. Even measured against cheap domestic Australian Pinot, they were severely lacking, and made me wonder how it can be so difficult to get right something so common over here. I would hazard a guess that the growing conditions in California are a fair bit too hot for this grape, which is much more suited to cool climates. The pick of the bunch was the Merlot, which stood out by virtue of having some sophistication, a quality fairly absent from the other wines. These are very much not my kind of wines, and perhaps I'm a little too hard on some of them. But they are certainly quite simple, and lack the richness and complexity that should be almost taken for granted these days. I would, and have recommended them to people who ask specifically for easy drinking, full bodied, slightly sweet wines, but for myself, I find them very disappointing.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:58 am UTC

Fat Tree 2006 Shiraz Cabernet is so very good. Went out for a nice dinner paid for by my work last thursday, and there were a few bottles of that, which was excellent.

Matt

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:28 pm UTC

Who wants to find me some of this?
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.

timt

Postby timt » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

Currently work in a liquorland with a fairly decent wine selection considering were quiet a low grade store. My favorite white has to be the dash, a NZ CDW that goes for about $15 a bottle and is designed to out do the houghtons. Very clean and crisp. As for reds i have got to say the pepperjack is fairly excellent. Sort of gone off wine for a while though, been focusing on trying all sorts of imported beer (trying to find that perfect stout).

anouk

Postby anouk » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:44 am UTC

Funny you should mention Pepperjack, I've been thinking I might buy some of that.

BTW; OM NOM NOMNOM Wolf Blass Grey Label Shiraz
Someone say something funny please, I need a new signature.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:58 am UTC

Tasted white Rhone wines today. I'm not going to bother with the entire list, but oenophiles might recognise Chateau Rayas, Domaine de Beaurenard, Yves Cuilleron and JL Chave, among others. White Rhones are made mostly from Marsanne, Roussane and Viognier. The wines are usually quite heavy for whites, with high alcohol and a big, round palate. They are weighty in the mouth ("like a penis" and so on...), but still subtle and often delicate. Young, they often have pronounced acidity and a refreshing nose, but they also age longer and better than most whites, gaining classic honeyed notes and integrating into a beautifully balanced whole.

There have been many attempts to replicate the style of Rhone white wines outside of the appellation itself, but it is generally agreed that no significant competitor to their best exists, although there are several individual producers that do very well with the same grapes. Out of a six wine flight, the highlights for once were the most expensive wines, while the cheaper wines were still excellent (and not that cheap, to be honest). So the Chateau Rayas Chateauneuf-du-Pape Blanc was second best. It had a massive sulphur nose, but little or none on the palate, and a depth and complexity that would put many entire appellations to shame. In spite of its really immense weight, it was still very subtle. I'm going back to it tomorrow to see it after the sulphur lifts a bit. The best was the JL Chave Hermitage. It quite simply stomped on everything else present, but sadly, I haven't got my notes here to describe it in detail. I wish I could do wines of this calibre justice in print, but I'm not that great a writer. Suffice it to say, if you have ever dismissed expensive wines as the folly of people with more money than taste, I suggest you reserve judgment until you have tried the wines of such producers as have been turning out exceptional wines year in, year out for decades or generations. These are sensual experiences at the level of the most beautiful music, or the most beautiful painting.

EDIT: Stupid Dream. Don't post while drunk, idiot.

Matsi

Postby Matsi » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:00 am UTC

Dream wrote:It's a little too cheap and nasty to be really good, but it's going very well with my curry.

I am just replying here so i can quote this and tell you that i actually laughed out loud for a while. "Goes well with curry" :lol:
I am no oenophile but i cannot imagine any red wine that would not taste good washing down a curry.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:19 am UTC

Ah. You don't have cleanskins where you come from.

Jadowin

Postby Jadowin » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:05 am UTC

I've worked at a few nice restaurants where we sold bottles of wine for over $200, but the best red I have so far tasted is Earthquake Zinfandel from Lodi California. It retails around $25. It fills your mouth with intense raspberry and black currant and finishes dry leaving your tongue craving more. This is real Zin, not white zin so if you get lucky enough to find a bottle don't expect it to be sweet and fruity. Goes great with steak or even rich desserts.
On the cheaper side, I've been into Bogle Petit Syrah. It's like $10 bucks at the grocers, and isn't bad. . .I do miss living in California: 2 Buck Chuck FTW!

anouk

Postby anouk » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

I'm drinking some Marlborough (New Zealand) Sauvignon Blanc, Secret Stone to be precise. It is a tad oxidised because it's been opened a while (since Tuesday) that is out of my control unfortunatly, but it is still nice. Exactly what the label says, tropical fruity, and dry as well mmmm.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:16 pm UTC

anouk wrote:I'm drinking some Marlborough (New Zealand) Sauvignon Blanc, Secret Stone to be precise. It is a tad oxidised because it's been opened a while (since Tuesday) that is out of my control unfortunatly, but it is still nice. Exactly what the label says, tropical fruity, and dry as well mmmm.

Yep! I'm drinking four day old Agiorgitiko (and it only took me two tries to spell that*), and it's great. Only really crap wine will be undrinkable after a day or two if you recork it. And yeah, Kiwi Sauv Blanc is going to be tropical fruity and dry. It's what they do. I think there would be a war of some kind if they ever stopped doing it.

*EDIT: Three tries.

anouk

Postby anouk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:48 am UTC

Dream wrote:
anouk wrote:I'm drinking some Marlborough (New Zealand) Sauvignon Blanc, Secret Stone to be precise. It is a tad oxidised because it's been opened a while (since Tuesday) that is out of my control unfortunately, but it is still nice. Exactly what the label says, tropical fruity, and dry as well mmmm.

Yep! I'm drinking four day old Agiorgitiko (and it only took me two tries to spell that*), and it's great. Only really crap wine will be undrinkable after a day or two if you recork it. And yeah, Kiwi Sauv Blanc is going to be tropical fruity and dry. It's what they do. I think there would be a war of some kind if they ever stopped doing it.

*EDIT: Three tries.

Yeah, it's those characteristics that I prefer in whites, the sweetest wine I'll drink and like is probably a riesling. Yesss, work function tonight, I hope they give us some nice wine to drink.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:44 am UTC

Does anyone have a recommendation as to what I can do with most of a bottle of really shitty white wine? This stuff is pretty much undrinkable, but I don't want to just pour it out if there's an alternative.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:35 am UTC

Probably just cooking. There are lots of recipies you can use it in, though I don't know any of them. Just be careful not to add too much of it if it's crap wine, or it might ruin the dish.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

Turn it into white wine vinegar? I don't know exactly how that's done, mind. Probably just leaving it out for ages...
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

Flying Betty wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation as to what I can do with most of a bottle of really shitty white wine? This stuff is pretty much undrinkable, but I don't want to just pour it out if there's an alternative.

I often put a glass or more of white in a risotto when I am making one. Probably a good choice for something you don't want to drink, unless you think the flavour will ruin the food. Certainly no more than one cup if it's not something that tastes alright.

Scaredcrow

Postby Scaredcrow » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:30 am UTC

I recently found a great wine I suggest everyone go find. It's not an easy find, but it's definitely worth the search.

2007 Luzon Verde It's an organic 100 percent Monastrell from the Jumilla region in Spain. And it's under $10 (USD) a bottle. It may be the best wine I've purchased all year in any price range.
jmrz wrote:You totally know she's a keeper when she offers to bail you out of jail.

sophyturtle wrote:ice cream sandwiches = happiness wrapped in paper

Nougat says: "scaredcrow: we need more men"

Bluggo

Postby Bluggo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

Drinking a nice glass of Port right now - it is a little sweet for my tastes, as I usually go for very dry wines, but otherwise excellent.
Mary Ellen Rudin wrote:Let X be a set. Call it Y.

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

This is not a cocktail, this is not a liquor, and Dream suggested that I post about hypocras in this thread, so...

So hypocras is a drink that I would typically drink at apéritif, that is before dinner. It is supposed to be a middle-ages thing, so it is often drunk at medieval festivals or LARPs. I made some lately (and had the opportunity to taste it with my colleagues) and, well, it was a nice experience.

Like sangria, it is a modified wine, and it can be made using some cheap wine. I used some Corbières (that's an AOC from Languedoc) red wine that I paid 10 euros for 5 liters. It does taste good, but that wouldn't be the dream of an oenophile.

Hypocras is ridiculously easy to make. What I used to make two bottles:
- 1.5 L of red wine.
- 200 g of honey (I chose quite a liquid one).
- spices, mainly cinnamon and ginger. Most online recipes also suggest cloves and cardamom, so it may be worth a try.

Mix it, wait for a few hours, filter it, and bottle it.

What you get is a sweet, tasty drink. It shouldn't be kept more than a few days, unless you know how to prevent it from turning into vinegar. After all, this is wine that you exposed to the air ;).

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

Grop wrote:Hypocras is ridiculously easy to make. What I used to make two bottles:
- 1.5 L of red wine.
- 200 g of honey (I chose quite a liquid one).
- spices, mainly cinnamon and ginger. Most online recipes also suggest cloves and cardamom, so it may be worth a try.

Mix it, wait for a few hours, filter it, and bottle it.

So, is it like a cool version of mulled wine? Because cinnamon and cloves and sugar go into my mulled wine, along with oranges. Minus the simmering it's fairly close to what you're describing. How sweet does it come out?

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:54 am UTC

I agree it is quite similar to mulled wine, except there's no fruit, and it is cold. It's not as sweet, and it is more something you drink in summer.

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:19 am UTC

Weeks, dear sir, you are a connoisseur of wine.
parkaboy wrote:
But seriously. I need cheese and wine pairings. Or just food and wine pairings. I'm learning how to taste coffee and put it with food at work, and now I'm REALLY interested in doing this with wine as well. A great restaurant 'round these parts has a wine tasting/pairing every wednesday evening.

I have always wanted to go to a wine/ pairing party. I would like to know how yours turns out if you do start them.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

Return to “Food”