Wine!

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

kevin_c

Re: Wine!

Postby kevin_c » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:21 am UTC

The absolute best wine for me is port. Specifically tawny. Delicious.

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:25 am UTC

Gravedug for me actually finding a red wine I like.

Swedish Hill Svenska Red.

Doesn't have that real dry aftertaste you get in most red wines.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:13 am UTC

kevin_c wrote:The absolute best wine for me is port. Specifically tawny. Delicious.
So, I bought a bottle of some of this and ... is it supposed to be kind of tangy? I didn't get a chance to try any until about 5 or 6 days after I bought it (various and sundry websites tell me you should drink it a day or two after you buy it), so had it perhaps gone bad? It was definitely very sweet, sweeter than ice wine (which is almost too sweet for me) but had that tang that kind of says spoiled to me.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

Necroing because I have got my feet a little wet in wine recently, but it seems pretty overwhelming. There is just so much and so many kinds, compared to beers and liquors there just seems like there is a never ending amount of styles. I generally like red wines(pinot noir, Cabernet) but also really like Champagne. I had a German Riesling and it was a little more mediocre I thought(although it could have just been the brand). Any one know of some good pinot noir's I should try? Or other wines to branch out into from there? I also bought a bottle of Sherry today in an attempt to branch out, figuring I should try it due to my love of sherried scotches.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:42 pm UTC

My favourite wines are the not-so-big ones - pinot noirs especially, but I'm also amenable to non-oaky whites - sauvignon blancs and pinot grigios.

New Zealand make some great Pinots.

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:My favourite wines are the not-so-big ones -

Uhh... What does that mean? Just lighter and subtler?

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:23 am UTC

"Big" generally refers to strongly-flavored wines with high alcohol content. Often very sweet, but could also be dry. Cabernet, Syrah, Zin. 13% ABV and up, not very subtle, lots of them coming out of California and very affordable. Google tells me they're less likely to be cellared or aged at all.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:My favourite wines are the not-so-big ones - pinot noirs especially, but I'm also amenable to non-oaky whites - sauvignon blancs and pinot grigios.

New Zealand make some great Pinots.

You like your wine like your dubstep. Subtle and complex.

I like my wine like I like MY music.

Mmmm... inexpensive ruby port.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

So I ended up having that sherry(Valdespino, an Amontillado), and it was definitely my favorite wine so far. Just slightly sweet with a little bit of a hazelnut flavor. Most of the other wines I have had always seem to dry. Or just blatantly too sweet, like Sangria or cheap boxed wine.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:38 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:You like your wine like your dubstep. Subtle and complex.

Hah. Well, I used to like big wines (Bakey is correct in his description), for me it was Cab Savs, and also Shiraz's. I grew up in Australia, and they do those wines quite well. But since living in Europe I've really started to appreciate the more subtle wines. My friend made me try a whole series of Pinot's, at which point I agreed that yes, they were tasty. I still love a big wine, especially something like a Rioja or a Malbec with steak.

Dark567 wrote:So I ended up having that sherry(Valdespino, an Amontillado), and it was definitely my favorite wine so far.

I've yet to taste a sherry that I like - one day!

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:42 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:Any one know of some good pinot noir's I should try?

Well, Burgundy is 100% pinot noir. The problem is that it is ruinously expensive. If you get a chance to try a premier or grand cru from more than a few years ago, leap at it, but if you try anything cheap, its a total shot in the dark. Could be good, much more likely to be rubbish, because if it were good it would be expensive. Such is the French AOC system. Great Burgundies, though, are almost as good as wine gets. Pity they're so inaccessible.

For affordable pinot, I would go for Australia. Mornington Peninsula, if you can find it, is the best region for them, though there are good wines from the rest of Victoria, Western Australia and NSW. I find Kiwi pinots a bit bland (sweeping statement of the week...). You can also find totally drinkable pinot from Chile, and occasionally from Oregon and the rest of the US. The problem is that pinot is the most difficult grape to grow right, and that means it has a very low hit rate. It needs to be in a very marginal vineyard before it will be really good, and by definition there aren't many of them. So if you want to drink it like it's meant to be, you have to stick to the good regions. It's a viticulture thing, nothing to do with wine brands or markets, unfortunately.

Secret option C, since you like Champagne: Find yourself a Champers labeled "Blanc de Noirs". Means "white from black (grapes)", and is 100% pinot noir. They're usually much less acidic and mineral than most Champagne, but are often wonderful wines.
dubsola wrote:I grew up in Australia, and they do those wines quite well. But since living in Europe I've really started to appreciate the more subtle wines. My friend made me try a whole series of Pinot's, at which point I agreed that yes, they were tasty. I still love a big wine, especially something like a Rioja or a Malbec with steak.

Tomorrow, I am blatantly having a filet steak with a bog standard Wolf Blass Shiraz, and no one's going to stop me! They're both sitting in the kitchen, waiting for me...
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

So on Saturday I ended up having a blood red colored Champagne sparkling wine, which was really excellent. Now I am furiously trying to recall the name, or find anything like it. Probably will need to take a trip back to the bar and find the name.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:56 am UTC

So, I have promised to introduce one of my friends for red wine. For introducing red wines, I'm thinking that it's probably better to start off in the light end of reds.

If the bottles doesn't get drunk, I'll have my brother over the next day, so it's not a problem to open a few wines and not finishing them.

I'm thinking that it should probably begin with a Zinfandel from California, proceed to a pinot noir (probably Australian) and finish with a merlot. Anyone with better suggestions?
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

Is this a friend who is already familiar with white wines, or new to wine altogether?
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:I'm thinking that it should probably begin with a Zinfandel from California

Nothing wrong with Cali Zin, but they're not generally regarded as light wines. They're very dense, it's just dense fruit rather than heavy, sticky tannin. For a lot of people that can be offputting, the wine equivalent of handing a beer novice a highly hopped IPA. Too much flavour, even if the flavour is very nice in small doses. So I'd avoid that. Italy makes the best light reds, I think. Barbera, Montalcino (Rosso, not Brunello) and non-Ripasso Valpolicella are all excellent, though I have no idea how available/expensive they are where you are. Your Aussie Pinot idea is a good one, but ask at the store for a new world style, or you might end up with a Burgundy knock-off with lots of oak and little fruit. Argentinian Malbec and Bonarda are fairly safe bets too, are often delicious and are not yet well known, so carry a little extra cred when you serve them.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:07 pm UTC

She's not new to wine in any way, she loves white wines (the more fruity and a bit sweet styles, where I much prefer the dry and peppery.), but claims to not like red wine. After asking a bit about it, because I was curious, I'm reasonable certain that it's mostly because her view of red wine is based a lot on the.. ahem.. cheaper reds.

An by cheaper I mean - I wouldn't drink the swill if my life depended on it.

ream, thanks for that post, it makes a lot of sense, you're probably right about the zinfandel. I tend not to like italian reds as much, but probably for the exact reasons that you're advocating it for a beginner. What I want in wine is high tannins and heavily spiced - exactly what a beginner will be put off by.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

It's no worries, it's harder to get me to shut up about wine than it is to get me to talk about it.

If she likes whites, maybe try a really good southern France rose. Not the American style candy flavoured piss, a translucent copper-brown coloured wine from Bandol. They're like still versions of rose champagne. Fantastic wines, and maybe a very good stepping stone.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:32 am UTC

So, the only wine I've drunk for the past 6 years has been Apothic Red, a $10/750ml blended red I buy at Target. I like it a lot, but like I said, it's all that I've found that I like. Recently my parents have gotten into wine making (my fault completely, I may have created a monster) and last time I visited I tried a Pinot Noir they made, and a "country" wine called Dragon's Blood made from three kinds of berries. Enjoyed those both quite a bit. I was hoping someone could recommend another wine in the same price range as the Apothic to try. I think what I've liked about those wines is the sweet, fruity flavor, but also the bit of dryness (I guess that's the right word) that prevents it from tasting like syrup. If it helps, I'm a fan of rich, smokey flavors in beer, and I enjoy some peatiness in my scotch.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:41 am UTC

You could try some of the bigger Zinfandels. The dryness you like is tannic acid, and Zins can have plenty. They can also have some strong fruit flavors. They don't tend to sticky sweetness, though.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:09 pm UTC

Thanks, I'll check some out. By big do you mean well-known, high alcohol, or high sugar?"
--Flobots "Mayday"

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:29 am UTC

Tricky terminology, as high sugar --> high alcohol. But "big" wine generally means one or both of strong flavor and strong alcohol content. Not necessarily sweet.

If you Google it you'll get all sorts of less-helpful descriptions about body and frame and blah blah wine stuff. Just think of the opposite of subtle or restrained flavor.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:49 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Tricky terminology, as high sugar --> high alcohol.
Not always though, right? I know in beer you can back-sweeten it by either adding sugar after the yeast is dead or adding unfermentable sugar that just turns into C02 and sweetness. I recall my dad telling me that the Dragon's Blood they made was back-sweetened by killing the yeast then adding more sugar, to sweeten it without increasing the alcohol.

Bakemaster wrote:Just think of the opposite of subtle or restrained flavor.
That makes sense and is easy enough to remember. Thanks.

I picked up a California Zinfandel on Pastry's recommendation today, from a winery called Bogle Vineyards. The back said something about blackberries and cherries and vanilla and oak. Haven't tried it yet though, gotta kill a bottle of Dragon's Blood first.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:20 pm UTC

Funny - that vineyard is right next door to us. Don't think I've tried any of their wines, though. I've had a couple whites from different vineyards in the same area.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:41 pm UTC

By far, my favorite type of wine is Merlot, but my wife doesn't care for it. She prefers Riesling, and since I like it well enough, that seems to be what we generally have around the house. I've never been big on the whole organic craze for most things, but I've found that Bonterra makes an amazing Merlot. I highly recommend it.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:34 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Funny - that vineyard is right next door to us. Don't think I've tried any of their wines, though. I've had a couple whites from different vineyards in the same area.
Having now tried it, I can safely say "I recommend it." They have another wine they call an "Essential Red," but I wasn't a huge fan of it. The Old Vine Zinfandel, though, has become the other wine I try to keep a bottle of on hand. The other being Apothic Red (I know, I'm a cheap date).
--Flobots "Mayday"

Return to “Food”