The Liquor Thread

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 am UTC
Location: Boston

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Azrael » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Heh, over here Famous Grouse is mass-market, more so than Johnnie Walker. Mostly because it's cheaper I'd guess.

I was referring less to volume and more to all that shit some companies do that doesn't involve making liquor. Although, I'm sure that also changes by region -- does Grouse have TV or print ad campaigns?

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:07 pm UTC

Well, Johnnie Walker doesn't do that here. I think I've seen some Famous Grouse print adverts... but yeah, I was only talking about high-volume.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8933
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:55 pm UTC

The problem with Johnnie Walker is not that it isn't scotch or that it's terrible whisky. It's that both the red label and the black label are overpriced for what they are—i.e., mixing whisky—and by the time you get into the higher price range of green label, you can afford all manner of interesting single malts instead. I like green label quite a bit, but not enough to forego the experience of an exciting single malt I haven't tried—so many of which are available at and under the price of green label, that I don't expect to ever run out.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

User avatar
Dream
WINNING
Posts: 4338
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm UTC
Location: The Hollow Scene Epic

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Dream » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm UTC

Grouse has a huge marketing budget. TV ads, sponsorship deals and everything.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:49 am UTC

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have a look around for famous grouse. Quick question before I drop any cash though: if I wasn't a fan of Chivas Regal, do you think I'd be a fan of famous grouse?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
Ulc
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:05 pm UTC
Location: Copenhagen university

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Ulc » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:47 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I'll have a look around for famous grouse. Quick question before I drop any cash though: if I wasn't a fan of Chivas Regal, do you think I'd be a fan of famous grouse?

No.

No-one is a fan of grouse. It's just as bad as the Johnny walker, the point was, that if you're buying a bad scotch, you might as well buy a cheap bad scotch. It's not something that should ever be drunk straight, through it's workable as mixing scotch.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:47 am UTC

I stand corrected on famous grouse.

But what cocktail would I use scotch for? Most recipes call for bourbon.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Ulc
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:05 pm UTC
Location: Copenhagen university

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Ulc » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:11 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I stand corrected on famous grouse.

But what cocktail would I use scotch for? Most recipes call for bourbon.


There aren't a whole lot, but right of the batch I'm thinking whisky sour and that's about it

But really, most recipe's that call for irish whisky can use simple (not to peated or smoked) scotch whisky without making a huge disaster out of it.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

User avatar
Dream
WINNING
Posts: 4338
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm UTC
Location: The Hollow Scene Epic

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Dream » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:26 am UTC

I'd just buy a bottle of Jameson. It's really good whiskey, and far better than most mass market blended scotch.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

User avatar
dubsola
Posts: 2327
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:55 am UTC
Location: Sunny Snakeville

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby dubsola » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:13 pm UTC

Hello liquor thread, it's been a while. I've been drinking lots of liquor and have many things to say. But first, to prior business:

Azrael wrote:I imagine that people are tired of hearing me say this, but the only premium top shelf rum you ever need to buy is Ron Zacapa 23.
Typically runs $35-40. It's pretty much game over. Also try Appleton 12 if you can't find the Zacapa, but only if you can find it for <$30, or else it's not worth the tag.

If dubsola is around, he's got a favorite that I'm blanking on at the moment -- oh yeah, El Dorado 12 or 21. But those are significantly more expensive.

El Dorado 21 is one of my favourites, but it is so, so expensive. It's about £80 here in London. The 15 I like, but haven't had it in a while and can't really remember what it tastes like. I don't recall it being AMAZING like Zacapa, but listen Azrael, at some point people need to try other rums. If they've tasted Zacapa and want to try something else in the same league and price range, here are my tips:

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva - this is a very, very sweet rum, but well worth trying, and cheaper than Zacapa or anything else in this list.
Flor de Cana 18 - Most people who don't know rum are very intrigued when they taste this, it's a bit drier and smokier. Definitely not as sweet as the Diplomatico and definitely worth a try.
XM 12 Year Old Millennium Rum - I tried this at a rum festival recently and it really surprised me - these guys aren't well known and they had a very simple stall with just one guy offering tastings. Totally interesting and it'll be the next bottle I buy, for sure.

Whilst at this rum festival I got to see Diplomatico's master blender Tito Cordero give a talk, what a lovely chap. We got to taste their new rum, the Ambasssador - at £200 a bottle I sadly won't be buying one soon, but it's incredible. One of the most interesting rums I've ever tasted, and it comes in amazing velvet lined wooden box. So, so cool. These guys describe the rum better than I could.

I was recently in Scotland and had to pick up a bottle of whisky, I told the guy I normally drank rum and he suggested a bottle of Glendronach Allardice. It's 18yo, and matured in sherry casks which gives it a sweetness that I really like. There's a lot going on there, flavour wise, that you don't always get with rums, but like all whiskys, I just find the bite a bit too much for it to become my favourite spirit.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Posts: 3686
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:12 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Dark567 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:No-one is a fan of grouse. It's just as bad as the Johnny walker, the point was, that if you're buying a bad scotch, you might as well buy a cheap bad scotch. It's not something that should ever be drunk straight, through it's workable as mixing scotch.
I am a fan. And I drink it straight.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.


Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

User avatar
Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 am UTC
Location: Boston

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Azrael » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:36 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Ulc wrote:No-one is a fan of grouse. It's just as bad as the Johnny walker, the point was, that if you're buying a bad scotch, you might as well buy a cheap bad scotch. It's not something that should ever be drunk straight, through it's workable as mixing scotch.
I am a fan. And I drink it straight.

Yeah, lots of people are fans of Grouse. It's widely held as a better than average at the price point, making for a decent everyday scotch (mixing not required) in the classic cocktail circles, at least on this coast.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

Ooh, it's £13 for a litre at Sainsbury's. Mmm, probably still get the Jamesons.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 am UTC
Location: Boston

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Azrael » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

Better yet, can you find Tyrconnell? It wins at Irish Whiskey in a big way.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:52 pm UTC

It's twice the price of Jamesons. I'll consider it, but it might fall short in a cost/benefit analysis, considering I probably wouldn't drink most of the Jamesons straight.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
rrwoods
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:57 pm UTC
Location: US

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby rrwoods » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

Cocktails involving scotch: Rusty Nail.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Belial » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:Better yet, can you find Tyrconnell? It wins at Irish Whiskey in a big way.


And if you got to the liquor store by the whole foods on alewife, is also not really much more expensive than Jameson.

This information only helps Azrael.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Shro
science genius girl
Posts: 2139
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:31 am UTC
Location: im in ur heartz, stealin ur luv.
Contact:

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Shro » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:51 pm UTC

This information is great, since we're having a whiskey party tomorrow! So far we have some Oban, Highland Park and Famous Grouse coming.

I need to put together a shopping list for stuff to make cocktails for people without as developed a palate for straight up whisky (me). I'm thinking Manhattans, Old Fashioneds, Whiskey Sours and Rusty Nails, which are all cocktails that's previously been mentioned. I could have saved myself a lot of research time by just reading this thread first. So, cocktail connoisseurs: tell me, what are your favorite recipes for the aforementioned classics?
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Posts: 3686
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:12 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Dark567 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

Shro wrote:This information is great, since we're having a whiskey party tomorrow! So far we have some Oban, Highland Park and Famous Grouse coming.

...I'm thinking Manhattans....

Technically I think you mean Rob Roys.

(Scotch and Sweet Vermouth is a Rob Roy and not a Manhattan)
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.


Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

User avatar
Shro
science genius girl
Posts: 2139
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:31 am UTC
Location: im in ur heartz, stealin ur luv.
Contact:

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Shro » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Shro wrote:This information is great, since we're having a whiskey party tomorrow! So far we have some Oban, Highland Park and Famous Grouse coming.

...I'm thinking Manhattans....

Technically I think you mean Rob Roys.

(Scotch and Sweet Vermouth is a Rob Roy and not a Manhattan)

Forgot to add: there will also be bourbon. Also, bitters.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Posts: 3686
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:12 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Dark567 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:47 pm UTC

Shro wrote:Forgot to add: there will also be bourbon. Also, bitters.

Then I stand corrected.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.


Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

User avatar
Shro
science genius girl
Posts: 2139
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:31 am UTC
Location: im in ur heartz, stealin ur luv.
Contact:

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Shro » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

So here are a list of things I know I shall have on hand.
Sweet Vermouth
Dry Vermouth
(I like the idea of being able to make "sweet","dry", and "perfect" versions of these cocktails.)
Sour Mix (I will make a fresh batch. With half agave nectar half sugar probably- but I'm not sure if I should just add fresh lemon or lime juice as I'm making the cocktails)
Maraschino cherries
Angostura, Vanilla Kumquat and Citrus bitters

I have powdered sugar, granulated sugar, brown sugar, rock sugar, simple syrup, honey, and agave nectar as sweeteners. That first step of muddling sugar with the bitters usually referred to the sugar cubes, yes?
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

User avatar
Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 am UTC
Location: Boston

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Azrael » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Azrael wrote:Better yet, can you find Tyrconnell? It wins at Irish Whiskey in a big way.


And if you got to the liquor store by the whole foods on alewife, is also not really much more expensive than Jameson.

This information only helps Azrael.

Well there goes my whole weekend.

User avatar
TheAmazingRando
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 am UTC
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:37 am UTC

Shro wrote:This information is great, since we're having a whiskey party tomorrow! So far we have some Oban, Highland Park and Famous Grouse coming.

I need to put together a shopping list for stuff to make cocktails for people without as developed a palate for straight up whisky (me). I'm thinking Manhattans, Old Fashioneds, Whiskey Sours and Rusty Nails, which are all cocktails that's previously been mentioned. I could have saved myself a lot of research time by just reading this thread first. So, cocktail connoisseurs: tell me, what are your favorite recipes for the aforementioned classics?

For an old fashioned, I usually muddle a few dashes of bitters with a sugar cube and a cherry, add water (I usually go for maybe a half a shot at most, just enough to dissolve the sugar, but you could go up to one or two depending on how much the drinker likes straight whiskey), then add ice and top it off with two shots of bourbon or rye and stir.

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8933
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:07 am UTC

So what's up with lowland scotch, anyway?
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

User avatar
Dream
WINNING
Posts: 4338
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm UTC
Location: The Hollow Scene Epic

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Dream » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:03 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:So what's up with lowland scotch, anyway?

Generally smoother and a bit sweeter than highland or island stuff. Less peated usually. There's only a handful of lowland distilleries still producing today. Glenkinchie and Auchentoshan are the two most widely available. The former isn't very good (the Edinburgh Malt!) and the latter is a triple distilled dram, that's sort of like a cross between Irish and Scotch, though skewed towards Scotch.

I've forgotten what the Campbeltoun malts are generally considered. They're from a peninsula West of Glasgow, and are actually far South of even the Lowlands distilleries. In any case, Springbank is one of the best standard releases, and some of its single vintage bottlings are among the best full stop. Forget whether it's lowland or not, try it anyway.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

User avatar
Cytoplasm
Posts: 1310
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:00 am UTC
Location: EE.UU.(+ Cheese)

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Cytoplasm » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:35 am UTC

Does anyone have a good strawberry daiquiri recipe? I've been googling some things but this will be the first time I've made one.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

User avatar
Ulc
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:05 pm UTC
Location: Copenhagen university

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Ulc » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:32 pm UTC

Cytoplasm wrote:Does anyone have a good strawberry daiquiri recipe? I've been googling some things but this will be the first time I've made one.


Here's the one I usually use for frozen strawberry daiquiri, which is probably the one you mean rather than a 'true' daiquiri

1½ handful of frozen strawberries
A small handful of icecubes
Juice of three limes
about 1½ decilitre of rum (quality isn't too important, the strawberries will drown any bad parts)
Two spoonfuls of finely powdered sugar
A dash of strawberry soda

Blend it all heavily and pour.

I should probably warn you though, that this tends to create a incredible mess, and anything that even remotely gets near this mix *will* end up sticky, and machine washing the glasses doesn't work.

(and don't replace icecubes with liquid nitrogen. The ceiling in a lecture room at Copenhagen university still haven't completely recovered.)
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

User avatar
Amarantha
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Amarantha » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Dream wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:So what's up with lowland scotch, anyway?
I've forgotten what the Campbeltoun malts are generally considered. They're from a peninsula West of Glasgow, and are actually far South of even the Lowlands distilleries. In any case, Springbank is one of the best standard releases, and some of its single vintage bottlings are among the best full stop. Forget whether it's lowland or not, try it anyway.
Iirc Campbeltoun is a region in its own right. I don't think I've actually tried any, but I've read that the flavour profile is somewhere between the lowlands and the islands.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

User avatar
Cytoplasm
Posts: 1310
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:00 am UTC
Location: EE.UU.(+ Cheese)

!

Postby Cytoplasm » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:Does anyone have a good strawberry daiquiri recipe? I've been googling some things but this will be the first time I've made one.


Here's the one I usually use for frozen strawberry daiquiri, which is probably the one you mean rather than a 'true' daiquiri

1½ handful of frozen strawberries
A small handful of icecubes
Juice of three limes
about 1½ decilitre of rum (quality isn't too important, the strawberries will drown any bad parts)
Two spoonfuls of finely powdered sugar
A dash of strawberry soda

Blend it all heavily and pour.

I should probably warn you though, that this tends to create a incredible mess, and anything that even remotely gets near this mix *will* end up sticky, and machine washing the glasses doesn't work.

(and don't replace icecubes with liquid nitrogen. The ceiling in a lecture room at Copenhagen university still haven't completely recovered.)


Thank you!
I had to modify a bit since I didn't have limes or soda. It tasted pretty alright for my first try.
It would be interesting to try liquid nitrogen..too bad I don't have any. Reminds me of making liquid nitrogen ice cream...
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

User avatar
Dream
WINNING
Posts: 4338
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm UTC
Location: The Hollow Scene Epic

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Dream » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:05 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:
Dream wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:So what's up with lowland scotch, anyway?
I've forgotten what the Campbeltoun malts are generally considered. They're from a peninsula West of Glasgow, and are actually far South of even the Lowlands distilleries. In any case, Springbank is one of the best standard releases, and some of its single vintage bottlings are among the best full stop. Forget whether it's lowland or not, try it anyway.
Iirc Campbeltoun is a region in its own right. I don't think I've actually tried any, but I've read that the flavour profile is somewhere between the lowlands and the islands.

Speaking of such things, there's a malt called Ledaig that's released very young, that I think is made in Springbank. It's a bit cheaper than most, and really delicious. Definitely worth a look, considering that the Springbanks I was selling in your neck of the woods were about $150 or something. It's light and inoffensive, nothing compared to any of the great malts, but definitely worth it.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

User avatar
Amarantha
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Amarantha » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

Dream wrote:Speaking of such things, there's a malt called Ledaig that's released very young, that I think is made in Springbank. It's a bit cheaper than most, and really delicious. Definitely worth a look, considering that the Springbanks I was selling in your neck of the woods were about $150 or something. It's light and inoffensive, nothing compared to any of the great malts, but definitely worth it.
Awesome, ta :) I think I may have had an IB of Ledaig at that bar you took us to in Edinburgh, so perhaps I've tried Campeltoun after all. Speaking of young, the SMWS's fourth quarter bottling list for Australia has a 5yo Ardbeg in it. Very, very tempting...
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

User avatar
Dream
WINNING
Posts: 4338
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm UTC
Location: The Hollow Scene Epic

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Dream » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote: I think I may have had an IB of Ledaig at that bar you took us to in Edinburgh

I really can't remember what was on the menu there. In fact, my alcoholic beverage knowledge is slipping away slowly. It's been a couple of years now since I was a committed student of the discipline.

Amarantha wrote:5yo Ardbeg

I remember the Almost There releases being very good. I bet 5yo Ardbeg would be a very refreshing dram. But I wonder would the peat be overwhelming without more oak to contain it? Presumably all the peat is in the malt from the beginning, and would still be there in full force early in the maturation...
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

User avatar
rrwoods
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:57 pm UTC
Location: US

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby rrwoods » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

I just got my scotchy scotch scotch back, and I has a happy. Finished off what was left of the Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or last night.

So much scotch... I'll have to take a picture and throw it up here at some point :-)
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

User avatar
Amarantha
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Amarantha » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:16 pm UTC

Dream wrote:
Amarantha wrote:5yo Ardbeg
I remember the Almost There releases being very good. I bet 5yo Ardbeg would be a very refreshing dram. But I wonder would the peat be overwhelming without more oak to contain it? Presumably all the peat is in the malt from the beginning, and would still be there in full force early in the maturation...
Yep. Sadly, I left it too late to order before it sold out, so we'll never know :( Well, until the next one :)

I do still have some Almost There iirc.

Also, we bought a Murray McDavid IB of Port Ellen the other day. It's called "Mission", from 1982. Not very strongly peated, but very pleasant (was too tired to make notes when we were tasting it).
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

User avatar
Dream
WINNING
Posts: 4338
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm UTC
Location: The Hollow Scene Epic

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Dream » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

Port Ellen was never the peatiest of the Islays. But if you have a bottle, you can re-taste at your leisure. And make me jealous of your scotch purchasing power ;)
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

I found a bar that serves Kraken. it was where I went for a New Year's Party.

Not only does it serve Kraken, but it cost the same (with a mixer, £3.95) as Morgan's Spiced, which from the bottle costs about 1/3 of the price.

User avatar
keeneal
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:19 am UTC
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between
Contact:

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby keeneal » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:12 pm UTC

I brought some to a New Years' party. I felt popular!
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:01 pm UTC

I received some for Christmas :)
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Dason
Posts: 1311
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:06 am UTC
Location: ~/

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Dason » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:25 am UTC

My wife and I got a rebate on a phone we bought a while back yesterday. She let me spend part of it on a bottle of Woodford Reserve. I have to say I've been enjoying it quite a bit.
double epsilon = -.0000001;


Return to “Food”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests