The Liquor Thread

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Azrael » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Heh, over here Famous Grouse is mass-market, more so than Johnnie Walker. Mostly because it's cheaper I'd guess.

I was referring less to volume and more to all that shit some companies do that doesn't involve making liquor. Although, I'm sure that also changes by region -- does Grouse have TV or print ad campaigns?

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:07 pm UTC

Well, Johnnie Walker doesn't do that here. I think I've seen some Famous Grouse print adverts... but yeah, I was only talking about high-volume.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:55 pm UTC

The problem with Johnnie Walker is not that it isn't scotch or that it's terrible whisky. It's that both the red label and the black label are overpriced for what they are—i.e., mixing whisky—and by the time you get into the higher price range of green label, you can afford all manner of interesting single malts instead. I like green label quite a bit, but not enough to forego the experience of an exciting single malt I haven't tried—so many of which are available at and under the price of green label, that I don't expect to ever run out.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm UTC

Grouse has a huge marketing budget. TV ads, sponsorship deals and everything.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:49 am UTC

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have a look around for famous grouse. Quick question before I drop any cash though: if I wasn't a fan of Chivas Regal, do you think I'd be a fan of famous grouse?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:47 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I'll have a look around for famous grouse. Quick question before I drop any cash though: if I wasn't a fan of Chivas Regal, do you think I'd be a fan of famous grouse?

No.

No-one is a fan of grouse. It's just as bad as the Johnny walker, the point was, that if you're buying a bad scotch, you might as well buy a cheap bad scotch. It's not something that should ever be drunk straight, through it's workable as mixing scotch.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:47 am UTC

I stand corrected on famous grouse.

But what cocktail would I use scotch for? Most recipes call for bourbon.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:11 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I stand corrected on famous grouse.

But what cocktail would I use scotch for? Most recipes call for bourbon.

There aren't a whole lot, but right of the batch I'm thinking whisky sour and that's about it

But really, most recipe's that call for irish whisky can use simple (not to peated or smoked) scotch whisky without making a huge disaster out of it.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:26 am UTC

I'd just buy a bottle of Jameson. It's really good whiskey, and far better than most mass market blended scotch.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:13 pm UTC

Hello liquor thread, it's been a while. I've been drinking lots of liquor and have many things to say. But first, to prior business:

Azrael wrote:I imagine that people are tired of hearing me say this, but the only premium top shelf rum you ever need to buy is Ron Zacapa 23.
Typically runs $35-40. It's pretty much game over. Also try Appleton 12 if you can't find the Zacapa, but only if you can find it for <$30, or else it's not worth the tag.

If dubsola is around, he's got a favorite that I'm blanking on at the moment -- oh yeah, El Dorado 12 or 21. But those are significantly more expensive.

El Dorado 21 is one of my favourites, but it is so, so expensive. It's about £80 here in London. The 15 I like, but haven't had it in a while and can't really remember what it tastes like. I don't recall it being AMAZING like Zacapa, but listen Azrael, at some point people need to try other rums. If they've tasted Zacapa and want to try something else in the same league and price range, here are my tips:

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva - this is a very, very sweet rum, but well worth trying, and cheaper than Zacapa or anything else in this list.
Flor de Cana 18 - Most people who don't know rum are very intrigued when they taste this, it's a bit drier and smokier. Definitely not as sweet as the Diplomatico and definitely worth a try.
XM 12 Year Old Millennium Rum - I tried this at a rum festival recently and it really surprised me - these guys aren't well known and they had a very simple stall with just one guy offering tastings. Totally interesting and it'll be the next bottle I buy, for sure.

Whilst at this rum festival I got to see Diplomatico's master blender Tito Cordero give a talk, what a lovely chap. We got to taste their new rum, the Ambasssador - at £200 a bottle I sadly won't be buying one soon, but it's incredible. One of the most interesting rums I've ever tasted, and it comes in amazing velvet lined wooden box. So, so cool. These guys describe the rum better than I could.

I was recently in Scotland and had to pick up a bottle of whisky, I told the guy I normally drank rum and he suggested a bottle of Glendronach Allardice. It's 18yo, and matured in sherry casks which gives it a sweetness that I really like. There's a lot going on there, flavour wise, that you don't always get with rums, but like all whiskys, I just find the bite a bit too much for it to become my favourite spirit.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:No-one is a fan of grouse. It's just as bad as the Johnny walker, the point was, that if you're buying a bad scotch, you might as well buy a cheap bad scotch. It's not something that should ever be drunk straight, through it's workable as mixing scotch.
I am a fan. And I drink it straight.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:36 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Ulc wrote:No-one is a fan of grouse. It's just as bad as the Johnny walker, the point was, that if you're buying a bad scotch, you might as well buy a cheap bad scotch. It's not something that should ever be drunk straight, through it's workable as mixing scotch.
I am a fan. And I drink it straight.

Yeah, lots of people are fans of Grouse. It's widely held as a better than average at the price point, making for a decent everyday scotch (mixing not required) in the classic cocktail circles, at least on this coast.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

Ooh, it's £13 for a litre at Sainsbury's. Mmm, probably still get the Jamesons.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

Better yet, can you find Tyrconnell? It wins at Irish Whiskey in a big way.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:52 pm UTC

It's twice the price of Jamesons. I'll consider it, but it might fall short in a cost/benefit analysis, considering I probably wouldn't drink most of the Jamesons straight.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

Cocktails involving scotch: Rusty Nail.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:Better yet, can you find Tyrconnell? It wins at Irish Whiskey in a big way.

And if you got to the liquor store by the whole foods on alewife, is also not really much more expensive than Jameson.

This information only helps Azrael.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:51 pm UTC

This information is great, since we're having a whiskey party tomorrow! So far we have some Oban, Highland Park and Famous Grouse coming.

I need to put together a shopping list for stuff to make cocktails for people without as developed a palate for straight up whisky (me). I'm thinking Manhattans, Old Fashioneds, Whiskey Sours and Rusty Nails, which are all cocktails that's previously been mentioned. I could have saved myself a lot of research time by just reading this thread first. So, cocktail connoisseurs: tell me, what are your favorite recipes for the aforementioned classics?
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

Shro wrote:This information is great, since we're having a whiskey party tomorrow! So far we have some Oban, Highland Park and Famous Grouse coming.

...I'm thinking Manhattans....

Technically I think you mean Rob Roys.

(Scotch and Sweet Vermouth is a Rob Roy and not a Manhattan)

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Shro wrote:This information is great, since we're having a whiskey party tomorrow! So far we have some Oban, Highland Park and Famous Grouse coming.

...I'm thinking Manhattans....

Technically I think you mean Rob Roys.

(Scotch and Sweet Vermouth is a Rob Roy and not a Manhattan)

Forgot to add: there will also be bourbon. Also, bitters.

I made this thing:

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:47 pm UTC

Shro wrote:Forgot to add: there will also be bourbon. Also, bitters.

Then I stand corrected.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

So here are a list of things I know I shall have on hand.
Sweet Vermouth
Dry Vermouth
(I like the idea of being able to make "sweet","dry", and "perfect" versions of these cocktails.)
Sour Mix (I will make a fresh batch. With half agave nectar half sugar probably- but I'm not sure if I should just add fresh lemon or lime juice as I'm making the cocktails)
Maraschino cherries
Angostura, Vanilla Kumquat and Citrus bitters

I have powdered sugar, granulated sugar, brown sugar, rock sugar, simple syrup, honey, and agave nectar as sweeteners. That first step of muddling sugar with the bitters usually referred to the sugar cubes, yes?

I made this thing:

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Azrael wrote:Better yet, can you find Tyrconnell? It wins at Irish Whiskey in a big way.

And if you got to the liquor store by the whole foods on alewife, is also not really much more expensive than Jameson.

This information only helps Azrael.

Well there goes my whole weekend.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:37 am UTC

I need to put together a shopping list for stuff to make cocktails for people without as developed a palate for straight up whisky (me). I'm thinking Manhattans, Old Fashioneds, Whiskey Sours and Rusty Nails, which are all cocktails that's previously been mentioned. I could have saved myself a lot of research time by just reading this thread first. So, cocktail connoisseurs: tell me, what are your favorite recipes for the aforementioned classics?

For an old fashioned, I usually muddle a few dashes of bitters with a sugar cube and a cherry, add water (I usually go for maybe a half a shot at most, just enough to dissolve the sugar, but you could go up to one or two depending on how much the drinker likes straight whiskey), then add ice and top it off with two shots of bourbon or rye and stir.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:07 am UTC

So what's up with lowland scotch, anyway?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:03 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:So what's up with lowland scotch, anyway?

Generally smoother and a bit sweeter than highland or island stuff. Less peated usually. There's only a handful of lowland distilleries still producing today. Glenkinchie and Auchentoshan are the two most widely available. The former isn't very good (the Edinburgh Malt!) and the latter is a triple distilled dram, that's sort of like a cross between Irish and Scotch, though skewed towards Scotch.

I've forgotten what the Campbeltoun malts are generally considered. They're from a peninsula West of Glasgow, and are actually far South of even the Lowlands distilleries. In any case, Springbank is one of the best standard releases, and some of its single vintage bottlings are among the best full stop. Forget whether it's lowland or not, try it anyway.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:35 am UTC

Does anyone have a good strawberry daiquiri recipe? I've been googling some things but this will be the first time I've made one.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:32 pm UTC

Cytoplasm wrote:Does anyone have a good strawberry daiquiri recipe? I've been googling some things but this will be the first time I've made one.

Here's the one I usually use for frozen strawberry daiquiri, which is probably the one you mean rather than a 'true' daiquiri

1½ handful of frozen strawberries
A small handful of icecubes
Juice of three limes
about 1½ decilitre of rum (quality isn't too important, the strawberries will drown any bad parts)
Two spoonfuls of finely powdered sugar
A dash of strawberry soda

Blend it all heavily and pour.

I should probably warn you though, that this tends to create a incredible mess, and anything that even remotely gets near this mix *will* end up sticky, and machine washing the glasses doesn't work.

(and don't replace icecubes with liquid nitrogen. The ceiling in a lecture room at Copenhagen university still haven't completely recovered.)

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Dream wrote:
I've forgotten what the Campbeltoun malts are generally considered. They're from a peninsula West of Glasgow, and are actually far South of even the Lowlands distilleries. In any case, Springbank is one of the best standard releases, and some of its single vintage bottlings are among the best full stop. Forget whether it's lowland or not, try it anyway.
Iirc Campbeltoun is a region in its own right. I don't think I've actually tried any, but I've read that the flavour profile is somewhere between the lowlands and the islands.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Cytoplasm

!

Postby Cytoplasm » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:Does anyone have a good strawberry daiquiri recipe? I've been googling some things but this will be the first time I've made one.

Here's the one I usually use for frozen strawberry daiquiri, which is probably the one you mean rather than a 'true' daiquiri

1½ handful of frozen strawberries
A small handful of icecubes
Juice of three limes
about 1½ decilitre of rum (quality isn't too important, the strawberries will drown any bad parts)
Two spoonfuls of finely powdered sugar
A dash of strawberry soda

Blend it all heavily and pour.

I should probably warn you though, that this tends to create a incredible mess, and anything that even remotely gets near this mix *will* end up sticky, and machine washing the glasses doesn't work.

(and don't replace icecubes with liquid nitrogen. The ceiling in a lecture room at Copenhagen university still haven't completely recovered.)

Thank you!
I had to modify a bit since I didn't have limes or soda. It tasted pretty alright for my first try.
It would be interesting to try liquid nitrogen..too bad I don't have any. Reminds me of making liquid nitrogen ice cream...
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:05 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:
Dream wrote:
Iirc Campbeltoun is a region in its own right. I don't think I've actually tried any, but I've read that the flavour profile is somewhere between the lowlands and the islands.

Speaking of such things, there's a malt called Ledaig that's released very young, that I think is made in Springbank. It's a bit cheaper than most, and really delicious. Definitely worth a look, considering that the Springbanks I was selling in your neck of the woods were about $150 or something. It's light and inoffensive, nothing compared to any of the great malts, but definitely worth it.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

Dream wrote:Speaking of such things, there's a malt called Ledaig that's released very young, that I think is made in Springbank. It's a bit cheaper than most, and really delicious. Definitely worth a look, considering that the Springbanks I was selling in your neck of the woods were about $150 or something. It's light and inoffensive, nothing compared to any of the great malts, but definitely worth it.
Awesome, ta :) I think I may have had an IB of Ledaig at that bar you took us to in Edinburgh, so perhaps I've tried Campeltoun after all. Speaking of young, the SMWS's fourth quarter bottling list for Australia has a 5yo Ardbeg in it. Very, very tempting...
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote: I think I may have had an IB of Ledaig at that bar you took us to in Edinburgh

I really can't remember what was on the menu there. In fact, my alcoholic beverage knowledge is slipping away slowly. It's been a couple of years now since I was a committed student of the discipline.

Amarantha wrote:5yo Ardbeg

I remember the Almost There releases being very good. I bet 5yo Ardbeg would be a very refreshing dram. But I wonder would the peat be overwhelming without more oak to contain it? Presumably all the peat is in the malt from the beginning, and would still be there in full force early in the maturation...

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

I just got my scotchy scotch scotch back, and I has a happy. Finished off what was left of the Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or last night.

So much scotch... I'll have to take a picture and throw it up here at some point :-)
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:16 pm UTC

Dream wrote:
Amarantha wrote:5yo Ardbeg
I remember the Almost There releases being very good. I bet 5yo Ardbeg would be a very refreshing dram. But I wonder would the peat be overwhelming without more oak to contain it? Presumably all the peat is in the malt from the beginning, and would still be there in full force early in the maturation...
Yep. Sadly, I left it too late to order before it sold out, so we'll never know :( Well, until the next one :)

I do still have some Almost There iirc.

Also, we bought a Murray McDavid IB of Port Ellen the other day. It's called "Mission", from 1982. Not very strongly peated, but very pleasant (was too tired to make notes when we were tasting it).

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

Port Ellen was never the peatiest of the Islays. But if you have a bottle, you can re-taste at your leisure. And make me jealous of your scotch purchasing power ;)

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

I found a bar that serves Kraken. it was where I went for a New Year's Party.

Not only does it serve Kraken, but it cost the same (with a mixer, £3.95) as Morgan's Spiced, which from the bottle costs about 1/3 of the price.

keeneal
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby keeneal » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:12 pm UTC

I brought some to a New Years' party. I felt popular!
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:01 pm UTC

I received some for Christmas :)

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:25 am UTC

My wife and I got a rebate on a phone we bought a while back yesterday. She let me spend part of it on a bottle of Woodford Reserve. I have to say I've been enjoying it quite a bit.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Return to “Food”