The Liquor Thread

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Vasily Zaytsev

The Liquor Thread

Postby Vasily Zaytsev » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:04 am UTC

This thread is devoted to the discussion of liquor or higher proofed alcohols in all their forms and mixtures.
Varieties
Brands
Makes
Stories
etc...

Since there is a cocktail thread the discussion of mixed drinks should primarily be in relation to suggested ways to take specific makes.

Despite the name I am a whiskey man myself.
I drink on a fairly tight budget so I can't readily afford the luxuries my preferred variety has to offer. Being Irish I'm pursing the various brands of Irish whiskey. From what I've tried so far I like the Jameson Standard/Regular. A 750ml bottle will run around $25. I drink straight out the bottle room temp or chilled most regularly, but it's good on ice with lime as well. If you have other ways to drink Jameson that don't involve cola don't hesitate to share.
I've been looking to try Powers, Killbeggan, and Bushmills. If anyone knows anything about those brands or other whiskey's up to $30 please share.

I've got some pretty fuckin' crazy blacking out stories that I'll save for later in the thread assuming this goes well.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Azrael » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

First off, limiting yourself to a single kind of whiskey, especially since those you list are all pretty well macro-produced, is just silly.

Second, no one wants to hear about your black-out stories. Really, they don't.

Third, the are a slew of alcothreads already:
Cost to Proof Ratio
Vodka (and then whiskey, rum)
Alcohol ... good/bad?
Alcohol: How to use it?
Cocktails

Plus a bunch for the non-spirituous stuff:
Beer
Brewing
Wine
Homemade Liqueurs
Mimosas
Oenophiles

Vasily Zaytsev

Postby Vasily Zaytsev » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:04 am UTC

I figured a thread with a little more general direction than just cheep drunks and vodka would have been good but oh well.

I don't limit myself to anything, that was just all I had the motivation to talk about. It's nice to leave room for an actual thread than just an OP. Also macro-produced is all I can afford as of now. They're funny stories...

Now I just feel bad, I don't think I can close the thread so let this stand as example I suppose.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:28 pm UTC

I quite agree with Vasily. There is no thread which seems aimed at high quality liquors to be drunk on their own.

Now, what do I like. Well, I love cognac. Had some lovely XO Delamain the other day. Just perfect after dinner, with a nice cuppa, reading a book.

I also quite like whisky, though not to the same degree. My personal favourite whisky is Highland Park, it's not overpoweringly peaty but it's got a good flavour nonetheless.

I feel I'd like to know more about gin. The gin I mostly drink is tanqueray, because it's easy to get hold of, and better than crap like Gordons. But I really haven't tried many gins, so I can't really comment.

Edit: upon examination of the bottle, it was XO rather than VSOP.
Last edited by Nebuduck on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

asad137

Postby asad137 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

Liquor? I hardly know h...ah, nevermind.

Asad

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:06 pm UTC

Maybe this could be the "Recommend a Spirit" thread?
Nebuduck wrote:I feel I'd like to know more about gin. The gin I mostly drink is tanqueray, because it's easy to get hold of, and better than crap like Gordons. But I really haven't tried many gins, so I can't really comment.

Funny that you mention that, I was actually thinking about starting a thread for that very reason. I recently fell in love with Broker's Gin due to it's good strong flavor. It also comes with a cute little hat that fits on most small teddy bears, yay! The catch is that it's a little pricey, it's $15 a bottle here, and I read online that it can go for $20 in some areas. I only use it for gin & tonics, so I don't know how well it works with other cocktails.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

dasknocker

Postby dasknocker » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

I do believe Liqurious (from the NOTCOT gents) is worthy of a mention.

Anywhoo, I do love me some gin. Call me a dirty masochist, but straight gin with a slice of lime? Fantastic.

That and Talisker. My dad wanted some a 15 year-old bottle for father's day, and I must say: DAMN THAT IS GOOD.

Never been a vodka fan though, except once during a rough morning in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

TheMagicalTurtle wrote:I want a President with the courage to stand up to babies and punch them when they need to be punched.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

My favorite scotch so far has been The Glenlivet 15 y.o. French Oak Reserve, and it's not terribly expensive. I prefer it to Johnny Walker green label, which is comparable in price. I don't really like any whiskeys mixed, and I never drink it to get drunk, so a bottle lasts a lot longer for me than for some others—that being said, I usually can't afford any good scotch (so I get good beer instead).

As for gin, I don't really like Tanqueray, and haven't tried too many brands, but I did take particular notice of url=http://www.slashfood.com/2007/03/07/gin-notes-gale-force-gin/]Gale Force[/url], which I thought had a more balanced flavor than most gins. Doesn't look like it's available in most places, though.

Other than that, I don't have enough experience to recommend any particular brands. I enjoy tequila in mixed drinks, haven't had any good experiences with vodka, and I like the rums I have tried but that's a short list, all mixed, and not particularly interesting.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

I have some 18y.o. glenlivet sitting in a cupboard upstairs, waiting for a good opportunity.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:
Nebuduck wrote:I feel I'd like to know more about gin.

Funny that you mention that, I was actually thinking about starting a thread for that very reason. I recently fell in love with Broker's Gin due to it's good strong flavor ... I only use it for gin & tonics, so I don't know how well it works with other cocktails.

The generally accepted 'best' gin for cocktails is Plymouth. It's certainly smoother than a lot of gins and it's flavors play well with others, so to speak.

Nebuduck wrote:I have some 18y.o. glenlivet sitting in a cupboard upstairs, waiting for a good opportunity.

Having an unopened bottle of good scotch is a good enough reason to open a good bottle of scotch.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
Nebuduck wrote:I have some 18y.o. glenlivet sitting in a cupboard upstairs, waiting for a good opportunity.

Having an unopened bottle of good scotch is a good enough reason to open a good bottle of scotch.

lol. sounds like a great plan to me.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

A bartender told me once that I had no choice in what she was making me. She handed me a Gin & Tonic and I have been drinking them ever since. I am going to have to try Broker's and Plymouth now.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

nsmjohn wrote:A bartender told me once that I had no choice in what she was making me. She handed me a Gin & Tonic and I have been drinking them ever since. I am going to have to try Broker's and Plymouth now.
That's the sort of story that should end with "The bartender is now my wife."

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:
nsmjohn wrote:A bartender told me once that I had no choice in what she was making me. She handed me a Gin & Tonic and I have been drinking them ever since. I am going to have to try Broker's and Plymouth now.
That's the sort of story that should end with "The bartender is now my wife."

You know, she was kinda cute and had that tatooed thing going for her... but shyness due to a lack of alchohol in my system gained the upper hand.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:47 am UTC

I have a friend who swears by Jameson, but being a single malt fan myself, the only Irish I have on hand is Bushmill's. Being triple-distilled, it's a good starting malt for a fan of blended whiskies.

My favourite SM Scotches are the Islays and their other Island cousins. Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Bruichladdich, Arran, Highland Park and so on. But, you know, sometimes you just feel like a lowland/Campbeltown or a highland/Speyside, so we've got a reasonable variety of regions in our stash. For a nightcap, you can't beat a half-shot of Islay and a small square of proper dark chocolate (70+%).

I've been thinking about getting some better gin - I mostly get whatever's cheap (Seagram's etc), but I'm drinking more martinis and fewer GnTs lately, so something with some subtlety/complexity will make a nice change. I had a Hendrick's martini at a bar the other night, which was lovely. I've also enjoyed Tanqueray ones in the past, and that's 2/3 the price of the Hendrick's.

We found ourselves in Nick's Wine Merchants the other day (happened to be on High St, had forgotten they're in Armadale), and got some good rum and rye. Still no Pyrat XO to be found in the country (the distributor tells me it's on the way), but we got some Pampero Ron Anejo Especial. I was tempted by the Pikesville rye for mixing, but decided I should use up my Wild Turkey first. However, we got some Old Potrero 18th Century for sipping, and the shop guy was like, "That makes the best Manhattan ever, trust me." I figured why not; I have been using Hennessy XO Grand Champagne for sidecars :P So I tried it, and it was good :)

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:18 pm UTC

Ah, whiskey. The only proper distilled beverage, IMO. I've had Cognacs that I've enjoyed, but to get a good one you're shelling out some serious clams... and I'd just as soon have a Scotch if I'm going to be spilling so many beans. I like Jameson (especially 1780), more than Bushmills (but not Bushmills Black), but in the U.S. I don't think it's a viable alternative to bourbon. For the $20 or $25 a 750 of Jameson costs me, I can get a 1.75 of Jim Beam.

Also to be tried if you're on an extreme budget is Canadian whisky. I can't recall brands, but I've had several that were very affordable and very drinkable. Certainly nothing like the complexity and mind-blowing deliciousness that is Laphroaig, but really good for the price. Crown Royal is obviously not what I'm talking about. :)

I don't understand gin, personally. I went through an experimental phase driven mostly by Douglas Adams, but other than learning that jynnan tonnyx glows in a black light I discovered nothing useful.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:Also to be tried if you're on an extreme budget is Canadian whisky. I can't recall brands, but I've had several that were very affordable and very drinkable.
If you're in the mood for Canadian, I highly recommend Canadian Club Reserve. I originally bought it because I was amazed that I could get something ten years old for that price. Not only that, but Wikipedia says that Canadian Club used to have a Royal Warrant, which is a much more impressive endorsement than I could provide.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

GonzoMcFonzo

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:37 am UTC

So, as soon as I saw this thread title, I had a great joke ready, but Asad beat mt to it :)

More on topic, I favor slightly more earthy flavors over sweetness, so I tend to drink more Tequila and gin than anything else, though I do have a soft spot for a good dark rum, and can appreciate any good liquor.

Tequila is my drink of choice. My preferred brand is Antigua Cruz. Unfortunately for y'all that don't live in Texas (aside from the fact you live in a lesser state or country :wink: ) you can only get it here. Other good brands I've found at reasonable prices include Hussong's, Herradura, Tres Generaciones and Sauza, although really as long as you get 100% Agave it's going to be pretty good.
My personal pet peeves:
1. Lime And salt tequila shot (tequila cruda). Unless you are a frat boy on spring break with daddy's credit card, you should not be shooting mixto anyway, so the lime and salt (to lessen the 'bite' of the cheap ingredients) are unnecessary. An acceptable complement if you are really attached to the lime and salt is Sangrita, an orange and pomegranate/tomato juice cocktail. Less traditionally, one of my friends likes to chase her favorite blanco with fresh pineapple juice, sometimes with a dash of cinnamon.
2. Patron. Specifically targeted and (over)priced for afore mentioned frat boys, it's no good. This is probably the worst 100% Agave tequila I've ever had. If I'm stuck choosing between "puh-trone" and cheap mixto, I'll choose the latter, because at least then I'm getting what I pay for (though I still decline lime and salt).

Personally, I think a generous 'shot' of Antigua Cruz Añejo, just below room temperature in a glass wide enough that I can really enjoy the aroma while I sip it, perhaps with a hommade Sangrita to co-sip is as close to the perfect drink as you can get.

Aside from Tequila, as I said, I really enjoy gin, preferably in a dry martini (stirred of course) with an extra olive. If I'm in the mood for something sweeter, a good tom collins (not from mix) is nice. I ussually get Bombay, as I found that that's the right balance of bitterness and botanicals for my taste, and at a price I can afford if I don't drink too often.
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:I have a friend who swears by Jameson, but being a single malt fan myself, the only Irish I have on hand is Bushmill's. Being triple-distilled, it's a good starting malt for a fan of blended whiskies.

My favourite SM Scotches are the Islays and their other Island cousins. Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Bruichladdich, Arran, Highland Park and so on. But, you know, sometimes you just feel like a lowland/Campbeltown or a highland/Speyside, so we've got a reasonable variety of regions in our stash. For a nightcap, you can't beat a half-shot of Islay and a small square of proper dark chocolate (70+%).

A) Can I come over to your house? :)

B) There are good alternatives to single malts from Ireland. Look for Pure Pot Still on the label. They aren't very common, but they're comparable in terms of quality with the top end Scotches. The last Irish I had was a single grain called Greenore. It might fit nicely into your lowland shelf, very sweet and fast on the palette. Good stuff.

C)HOW IN GOD'S NAME CAN YOU AFFORD MALT WHISKY IN THIS COUNTRY!?! Laphroaig is ninety dollars in some places. That's over twice the price it is in Scotland. And you have many bottles! Well, I commend you on your excellent taste, and on your commitment to the beautiful liquid :)
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

Incidentally, a friend who enjoyed the 15 y.o. with me said he preferred it to the 18, though I still plan to check his math at some point (so to speak).
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Incidentally, a friend who enjoyed the 15 y.o. with me said he preferred it to the 18, though I still plan to check his math at some point (so to speak).

In my experience, I tend to prefer Scotch at 8-12 years over 15-18 years. When they get between 12 and 18 years it tends to get a lot smoother, but at the cost of character and maybe complexity. A couple of years ago I had Macallan 10, 12, 15, and 18 together, and I definitely preferred the 10 over the 12 and 15, but preferred it over the 18 only in cost. :) The few others I've had that were 18 and older tend to be much much better, though. And unfortunately way out of any reasonable booze budget for me.
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:02 am UTC

Dream wrote:HOW IN GOD'S NAME CAN YOU AFFORD MALT WHISKY IN THIS COUNTRY!?!

:P

We have moderately good jobs, and we make whisky a higher priority than say, rock concerts or designer clothes or a new telly. We buy a new one a few times a year. It also helps if you have friends who travel a lot for work. They can get you stuff duty free that's a) cheaper than here and b) not available here. We used to have about a dozen bottles at any one time, but we've now joined the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, so we'll be cutting down to 4-6 bottles of single-cask nirvana (at 2-3 times the price of commercial malts).

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:35 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:Incidentally, a friend who enjoyed the 15 y.o. with me said he preferred it to the 18, though I still plan to check his math at some point (so to speak).

In my experience, I tend to prefer Scotch at 8-12 years over 15-18 years. When they get between 12 and 18 years it tends to get a lot smoother, but at the cost of character and maybe complexity. A couple of years ago I had Macallan 10, 12, 15, and 18 together, and I definitely preferred the 10 over the 12 and 15, but preferred it over the 18 only in cost. :) The few others I've had that were 18 and older tend to be much much better, though. And unfortunately way out of any reasonable booze budget for me.

Yeah, I've had 27 year stuff that I wouldn't use to thin paint, and the 3 (I think) year old Pendaryn from Wales is wonderful. 15 year old Laphroaig is abominable, and 10 is one of the finest available. And 10 year old Quarter Cask is awesome like Batman. I've never been a fan of the Macallan at any age though. It's really nothing to do with the umber on the bottle, and everything to do with being aged by someone who knows what they're doing and won't put their name to rubbish just because it might sell well.

Amarantha wrote:We have moderately good jobs, and we make whisky a higher priority than say, rock concerts or designer clothes or a new telly.

I agree with everything bar the rock concerts, although I'd be nearly as discerning about those as I'd be about the whiskey. I still have many friends in Edinburgh, so if I could spend on it, I could have it sent over. Now, to go about getting a decent job...

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:40 am UTC

I'm loving how I can find people like GonzoMcFonzo who will just rail on people who make tequila into the mockery it continues to fight tooth and nail to be in this country. It's one of the more elegant spirits out there and its reputation as undrinkable rotgut inexplicably seems to persist.

I'm running out of Plymouth again and I don't want to dip into my prized half gallon of Malacca, so I'm thinking I'll pick up a bottle of that New Amsterdam gin to fit my "non-london-dry" category for the time being and see how it stacks up.

I can't even begin to talk about exquisite malt scotch. I am just not at that stage of my life yet.

All you cheapos who want to mess around with American Whiskey: put down the Jack Daniels, take a 20 out of your wallet, and pick up a fifth each of Evan Williams and Old Overholt. Save the rest of the money for mixers and like, a million lemons.

However, we got some Old Potrero 18th Century for sipping, and the shop guy was like, "That makes the best Manhattan ever, trust me." I figured why not; I have been using Hennessy XO Grand Champagne for sidecars :P So I tried it, and it was good

Jesus. What vermouth did you use?

EDIT: I refuse to feed the troll. :|
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:03 am UTC

My favourite liquor to drink is absinthe, followed closely by tequila. I really really don't like whisk(e)y, bourbon or other similar spirits. Something about them just makes me sick. Vodka is alright, especially 42 Below Feijoa flavoured.

Matt wrote:I'm loving how I can find people like GonzoMcFonzo who will just rail on people who make tequila into the mockery it continues to fight tooth and nail to be in this country. It's one of the more elegant spirits out there and its reputation as undrinkable rotgut inexplicably seems to persist.

I've drunk tequila so many times, but I wouldn't be able to tell you what it tastes like. It's what I drink when I want to get smashed fast. And I usually do the lemon/salt thing as well. It's more fun.

I generally treat absinthe with more respect than Tequila, although I made a sinner of a drink the other day. I'm not sure if it's a cocktail. Fill a glass with Hapsburg De Luxe absinthe, the cheap stuff, and add a pinch of chilli powder. Then add a few drops of Alchemia Wisniowa vodka. Drink as fast as possible. (Yeah. Hooray for culture.)
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

Dream and Matt: I'm definitely going to make it a point to try at least some of what you mentioned in those last two posts.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:03 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Dream and Matt: I'm definitely going to make it a point to try at least some of what you mentioned in those last two posts.

Make sure you report back here :)

And for the record, the Pendaryn is quite expensive for what it is, like £35 sterling. It's oily and lightly spicy, with an easy mouthfeel. Has quality written all over it, can't wait till it grows up. Laphroaig Quarter Cask is a ten year old that (obviously) spent part of its maturation in small casks, giving it further oak characteristics. It is creamier and smoother than the regular ten year old, and if anything a little longer on the palete. The usual wonderful smokiness is all over it, along with the phenol and all the other Islay stuff.If you pay more than five or ten pounds sterling over the price of the regular ten you're being robbed. Neither of these whiskies are very widely available, but they are definitely not rarities.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:54 am UTC

Matt wrote:
However, we got some Old Potrero 18th Century for sipping, and the shop guy was like, "That makes the best Manhattan ever, trust me." I figured why not; I have been using Hennessy XO Grand Champagne for sidecars :P So I tried it, and it was good

Jesus. What vermouth did you use?

The best I can get atm is Cinzano Rosso. I'm trying to get hold of Carpano Antico, but it's apparently rare in this country. I'll be in Armadale again on the 5th, so I'll check Nick's for it then. Hmmm, must remember to check there for a good Armagnac also; I'm thinking I'll make that my next sipping spirit.

GonzoMcFonzo

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:43 am UTC

Matt wrote:I'm loving how I can find people like GonzoMcFonzo who will just rail on people who make tequila into the mockery it continues to fight tooth and nail to be in this country. It's one of the more elegant spirits out there and its reputation as undrinkable rotgut inexplicably seems to persist.

Oh, I had a real rant, twice as long, all typed out and ready to post, but I realized:
1. Azrael already made the most of the salient points in the Cocktails thread
2. Most people will just see it, go "oh, that's interesting" and continue to shoot Pepe Lopez until they fall down.

pollywog wrote:I've drunk tequila so many times, but I wouldn't be able to tell you what it tastes like. It's what I drink when I want to get smashed fast. And I usually do the lemon/salt thing as well. It's more fun.
Yeah, I understand alot of the appeal is in the process. It's a whole big thing. To be honest, on the (rare) occasion I want to "drink 'till I can't feel feelings anymore," I have a bottle of Montezuma in the back of my pantry. Seriously tho, try the pineapple juice thing, it's cuts down on the bite alot better than lime, and actually produces an interesting taste sensation, even with the cheap stuff.
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:26 am UTC

GonzoMcFonzo wrote:
pollywog wrote:I've drunk tequila so many times, but I wouldn't be able to tell you what it tastes like. It's what I drink when I want to get smashed fast. And I usually do the lemon/salt thing as well. It's more fun.
Yeah, I understand alot of the appeal is in the process. It's a whole big thing. To be honest, on the (rare) occasion I want to "drink 'till I can't feel feelings anymore," I have a bottle of Montezuma in the back of my pantry. Seriously tho, try the pineapple juice thing, it's cuts down on the bite alot better than lime, and actually produces an interesting taste sensation, even with the cheap stuff.

Will try that, next time I'm at the liquor store (tomorrow).
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:19 am UTC

yum

Dark rum & ginger ale. Eases the pain.

Although I recommend Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum sans flourishes.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Although I recommend Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum sans flourishes.
This, coupled with your once professed love of Jack makes your avatar weep.

Crazy, crazy tears.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:09 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Dark rum & ginger ale. Eases the pain.

Although I recommend Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum sans flourishes.

I spent a good slice of last summer (northern hemisphere summer) drinking Morgan's Spiced with cola. But, properly fermented cola that actually has cola in it. Not Coke. It was the easiest drinking drink I've had in a long time.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

There ain't naught wrong with Captain Morgan's. It's sweet, it's cheap; fair enough its full flavour needs a good boshing of ginger ale to fully come through. But if we're going for a more expensive, darker, woodier rum to paste the palate, then I'll have a splash of Lamb's Navy Rum. That's good raw which leaves an oily tingle on the teeth. Not so good with ginger ale; it needs a more syrupy mixer. In a perfect world I'd suggest home-made cola, but cola on draught from a good drinking establishment is better than brand-named cola from a can or bottle. OVD rum is an unusual one. I didn't realise it was rum, as I think it's loaded with sugar, or tartrazine or some shit. The bottle looks pretty, however.

Anyway, why have rum when you can have gin? Guaranteed to splendify the evening and prevent a following morning hair o' the dog, don't ever go for anything but London dry gin. Bombay Sapphire is like quinine mixed with lighter fluid, but without the inflated sense of self-esteem. Gordon's is something of a fallen idol, having slashed its proof by some 10-15% over the years to leave--what--bitter water? Boodles. Now there's a gin you can set a Martini too. In fact, I believe the sudden rush of Vesper Martinis following the release of Casino Royale has lifted their stocks somewhat, seeing as nearly all cocktail aficionados profess their love for Boodles over Gordon's on DIY Vesper recipes. (Angostura bitters - that is the key)

Anyway, if you want to appear to that lady down the end of the bar that you've got some fucking class, go for Lamb's for your dark rum, and Boodles for your gin.

As for white rum; don't ask me. I'm happy with Bacardi, although Tesco's own brand was responsible for a verbal wowee from me when it was presented in the form of a sugary daiquiri. And Vodka? Stolichnaya or Gorbatschow Blue. They're the only vodka I can handle without thinking of paintstripper. I generally dislike Vodka, unless it's presented very, very well, so I'm no expert.

Whiskey! It's got to be Scotch, and have a name that's contentious to pronounce. Glenfiddich has a 'tch' at the end, rather than a 'ck'. Like Glenmorangie, it's delicious. And it's from Moses' personal distillery. (Remember the 'mana from heaven' spiel he gave? Mana is Arabic for Glenmorangie). That's if you want your whisky single-malted. For a blend, ionno, Bells? Whatever; anything's better than Irish Whiskey. That's like Listerine.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

For a dark rum, I much prefer Bacardi Select over Cap't Morgan. It has the spice, but less sweet, and here costs the same as Bacardi's white rum (which I think is cheaper than Morgan). I can drink Select alone which is a very rare case with rum, and it mixes with everything I've tried including recipes that call for white rum.

Matt

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:48 am UTC

don't ever go for anything but London dry gin

FAIL.

As much as I applaud giving Boodles mad props and hold London Dry in great honor, leaving out Plymouth, Hendricks, and most notably the fantastic late Tanqueray Malacca (my trophy), among genevers and countless other styles, is a distinct travesty. And there aren't any bitters in a Vesper, right?

We gotta get our "dark" rums straight in this thread. I don't know whether people mean Gosling's, darker-than-light rums, or considerably aged rums when they say dark. From now on, could we call black, molasses-tasting rums like Gosling's and Black Strap "dark rum", stuff like Cruzan Dark Rum or Bacardi Dark "amber rum", and anything aged for about 5 years or more "aged rum"?
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:23 am UTC

The rum distinctions should be kept to: Aged in oak vs. Not aged in oak, and Added sugar or caramel vs. No added sugar or caramel. One choice from each pair should describe any rum accurately. Perhaps spiced and not spiced also.

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:32 am UTC

I had some cheap absinthe, and I really want to lay down $100 for a nice bottle.
"the time will come when men such as i look upon the murder
of animals as they now look upon the murder of men"

---
leonardo da vinci

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

I'd actually love to see somebody lay out rum in the way described by Dream. While I'm a fan of every form of liquor, rum is my baby -- it's what I started on, and I was spoiled out of my wits because I did so in Nicaragua, where you can get a bottle of top-notch Flor de Cana seven year for $7 -- and I'd be quite curious to see which types are oaked and which have additives. Anybody here care to share their knowledge?

Oh, and Cruzan black strap wins at life. $15 for a bottle, and you can pour it on your pancakes. And it gives you weird dreams. I find that to be a plus.

Edit, and PS:
Felstaff wrote:Glenfiddich has a 'tch' at the end, rather than a 'ck'. Like Glenmorangie, it's delicious.

Nope. It's a hard "ch" as in the Scottish "loch," which has been confirmed by pretty well every source I've consulted (though most people I know still insist on using the "tch" ending).

. . .

Did I just linguistically correct Felstaff?
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:13 am UTC

clintonius wrote:ins at life. $15 for a bottle, and you can pour it on your pancakes. And it gives you weird dreams. I find that to be a plus.

Edit, and PS:
Felstaff wrote:Glenfiddich has a 'tch' at the end, rather than a 'ck'. Like Glenmorangie, it's delicious.

Nope. It's a hard "ch" as in the Scottish "loch," which has been confirmed by pretty well every source I've consulted (though most people I know still insist on using the "tch" ending).

. . .

Did I just linguistically correct Felstaff?

You tried, but you did it wrong...

In a year and a half selling whisky in Edinburgh, every Scottish person pronounced it "Glenfiddie" or very close to that. "Tch" was how most foreigners pronounced it, and "ch" as in loch I never heard except from people giving Scottish pronunciation their first try.

Return to “Food”