The Liquor Thread

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

starslayer wrote:
Azrael wrote:Jesus, your stores are pricey. Runs $35-37 around here.
Coming from California, Ohio liquor prices suck. Everything is at least $5-10 more expensive, and sometimes much more. Nobody competes on price, either, becuase it's all at the state minimum. I did manage to find the Flor de Cana white rum you recommended to me a while back, though, and that was very good too.

Seriously, fuck minimum prices! Perversion of the free market.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

starslayer

Postby starslayer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:
starslayer wrote:
Azrael wrote:Jesus, your stores are pricey. Runs $35-37 around here.
Coming from California, Ohio liquor prices suck. Everything is at least $5-10 more expensive, and sometimes much more. Nobody competes on price, either, becuase it's all at the state minimum. I did manage to find the Flor de Cana white rum you recommended to me a while back, though, and that was very good too.

Seriously, fuck minimum prices! Perversion of the free market.
Well, the state basically runs all the liquor stores*, so them setting a uniform price is fine. I just wish it wasn't so damned high.

*Ohio liquor stores sell alcohol on a commission from/for the state. It's one step removed from the state straight-up running them; the state has a set list of spirits it will import, and the stores pick and choose which they will sell.

ETA: One happy side-effect of this, though, is that the state maintains a searchable list of liquor stores and who stocks what.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

So I picked up a bottle of Booker's, and while it is delicious, I can't help but wonder how amazing it would taste as a Manhattan or Old Fashioned.
Then I feel bad for wanting to mix a $60 bourbon.
Has anyone here tried it in a cocktail?

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Wow, just picked up a sample bottle of Captain Morgan's Tattoo. The only way I can describe it is it tastes like eating a jolly rancher right after brushing your teeth, with some grape flavored cough syrup thrown in for good measure. I'll stick to Kraken for my spiced rum needs.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Wow, just picked up a sample bottle of Captain Morgan's Tattoo.
Hmm, never heard of it.
Wikipedia wrote:An extra-dark, lower-proof rum with fruit flavors described as berry or citrus, introduced to compete with Jägermeister for market share.
What the fuck?
Wikipedia wrote:Unavailable in Canada.
Oh good.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:An extra-dark, lower-proof rum with fruit flavors described as berry or citrus, introduced to compete with Jägermeister for market share.
What the fuck?
Hmm, I didn't realize that. I didn't know anything about it, just saw the sample bottle that said "Puerto Rican rum, with spices and additional flavors" and figured for a $1.30 it was worth a try. I can't imagine why you would intentionally try to make your product taste like Jagermeister, that shit's disgusting IMO.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
ahammel wrote:
What the fuck?
Hmm, I didn't realize that. I didn't know anything about it, just saw the sample bottle that said "Puerto Rican rum, with spices and additional flavors" and figured for a $1.30 it was worth a try. I can't imagine why you would intentionally try to make your product taste like Jagermeister, that shit's disgusting IMO.

I like Jager, but Captain Morgan's Tattoo is significantly worse than the normal Captain Morgan stuff, which is already decidedly underwhelming.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

starslayer

Postby starslayer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:21 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:So I picked up a bottle of Booker's, and while it is delicious, I can't help but wonder how amazing it would taste as a Manhattan or Old Fashioned.
A little late, but I just bought a bottle of Booker's as well and made a Manhattan with it. Booker's makes a gorgeous Manhattan. It's honestly a little too hot for me straight, and doesn't taste all that great to me with some water, but it was just about the best Manhattan I have ever had.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:44 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:So I picked up a bottle of Booker's, and while it is delicious, I can't help but wonder how amazing it would taste as a Manhattan or Old Fashioned.
My experience was that nothing I did with or to it made it better. Though I tend to drink most liquor straight.

But do you really want to suffer the curiosity?
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:04 am UTC

Has anyone else tried any of the "Trader Joe's brand" liquor?

The Rear Admiral Joesph's Original London Dry gin is my go-to gin. Great price, and there's been some speculation on who the contract out to make it.

If you take the initals you get RAJ, OLD. The bottles are completely the same shape, and have similar artwork. Around these parts it comes out at $7.99 for 750ml. Dang good price, and makes an awesome mixing gin. I'm currently sipping on a Gin and Tonic, with a Keffir lime squeeze.

I've had the Jailhouse gin as well, but didn't like it as much, apparently Treasure Island distillery makes that one for TJ's, but they mainly make vodkas www.sfvodka.com, so I can see why that one didn't turn out as tasty. I'm scared of the Vodka/Rum of the gods though, just seems too sketchy.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:12 am UTC

Sainsbury's has on offer Isle of Jura Superstition (a blended whisky) and Elixir 12yo Single Malt.

Anyone recommend either of these?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:49 am UTC

I can't give any word either way, sorry, Bigglesworth.

I can say, though, that I just read through this thread and I am now insanely jealous of liquor prices elsewhere. You guys are spoilt.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:I've had the Jailhouse gin as well, but didn't like it as much, apparently Treasure Island distillery makes that one for TJ's, but they mainly make vodkas http://www.sfvodka.com, so I can see why that one didn't turn out as tasty. I'm scared of the Vodka/Rum of the gods though, just seems too sketchy.
I remember Vodka of the Gods being pretty disgusting. Their tequila makes a good margarita though.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:
freezeblade wrote:I've had the Jailhouse gin as well, but didn't like it as much, apparently Treasure Island distillery makes that one for TJ's, but they mainly make vodkas http://www.sfvodka.com, so I can see why that one didn't turn out as tasty. I'm scared of the Vodka/Rum of the gods though, just seems too sketchy.
I remember Vodka of the Gods being pretty disgusting. Their tequila makes a good margarita though.

Well good thing I don't like vodka in general. I haven't had the tequila, but the mezcal made a decent margarita as well, so I might pick that up for a cinco party.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Fucking Virginia, I just discovered I can't buy Ron Diplomatico here.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Mon May 06, 2013 8:08 am UTC

Got hot enough today that I felt comfortable breaking out the Gin and Tonics for the first time this year. Local distillery, Trailhead, makes a good Gin that reminds me a more juniper-y and less medicinal Amsterdam. Also had some Beefeater from a while ago.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed May 08, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

I have just placed an order for a bottle of Cocchi Aperitivo Americano. It is said to be much closer to the original formulation of Kina Lillet than Lillet Blanc is. I will do a side-by-side test of two Vespers and post the results.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

I have just obtained a cocktail shaker and discovered that properly made cocktails are awesome. I've been drinking Baccardi cocktails with homemade grenadine and English Harbour instead of Baccardi because fuck Baccardi.
He/Him/His/Alex

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:50 am UTC

Had a few of these tonight. Obviously you can substitute lavender for whatever, but it tasted amazing. Local distillery gin, Trailhead Spirits. It's a smooth gin, but not medicinal. Much lighter juniper taste and more botanical.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

EchoRomulus

Postby EchoRomulus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

Do you cook with the same wine you drink? Or do you buy some wine strictly for cooking or strictly for drinking?
"In here life is beautiful." --Cabaret

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

The rule of thumb is not to cook with anything you wouldn't drink. Not that you have to cook with what you're currently drinking. So if your wine price point is fairly high, it wouldn't hurt to buy more reasonably so that you're not pouring $20 in that marinara.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

You can also take into consideration how you're using the wine. In a marinara, all you're getting is a little splash of interest in a sauce that mainly tastes of tomatoes, so you probably won't notice the difference between Franzia and Côtes du Expensive. In a marsala sauce, the wine is much more at the front of the dish and you might regret that two buck chuck.

Also, search function motherfucker, do you speak it?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

When I'm cooking seafood, I like a wine with a lot more acid than I would normally drink, so I generally buy a cheaper wine to get more acid.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

I have cooking wine and drinking wine. My cooking wine tastes awful when consumed by itself. My drinking wine is 10 dollars for 24 ounces, my cooking wine is 4 dollars a gallon.
--Flobots "Mayday"

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:02 am UTC

Julia Child recommended using using a decent vermouth thinned out a bit with some water in place of white wine. I've done this with tasty results. Get some good gin to go along with it and make some martinis?

In fact: forget the cooking.
He/Him/His/Alex

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:19 pm UTC

On wine and cooking: If I didn't drink and cook with the same bottle, neither use would allow me to use a whole bottle without it going off.

I have substituted vermouth for white wine - it's definitely different. Not sure if it's worse or not.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:51 am UTC

I don't cook with wine pretty much for that reason: it tastes horrible, and I'd end up wasting it all.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:06 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:My drinking wine is 10 dollars for 24 ounces
You buy wine by the ounce?

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:15 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:my cooking wine is 4 dollars a gallon.

You buy wine by the gallon? Doesn't it get all gross and rancid?

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:27 pm UTC

Modern cooking wisdom has definitely come around to "don't cook with a wine you wouldn't drink". From experience, I absolutely agree. But I also have a wife and we like wine, so finishing a bottle off before it oxidizes is entirely reasonable.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:20 pm UTC

I'm finding that different single malts taste like times of year to me.* Glengoyne 12yr old tastes of Spring (very fresh and light), Hazelburn 12yr old tastes of late August/early September (very rich and spicy with lots of caramel), and Bowmore 10yr old tastes of deepest Winter (peaty, almost carbolic). Does anyone else feel this about Whiskeys? With those three I have a drink for every season. "What about high summer?" you ask - well, that's gin and tonic time.

*I recently told a friend of mine, who loves whisky, that I was starting to develop a liking for the stuff and got a load of different single malt miniatures as a present from him.

effisemmtimesa

Postby effisemmtimesa » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:47 am UTC

I have been on a hot & dirty martini kick for the past 4 months and I don't foresee a change anytime soon.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:09 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:"don't cook with a wine you wouldn't drink". From experience, I absolutely agree.
I actually don't agree. I love chicken marsala, but I can't stand the wine. I also use sweet vermouth for cooking, but I don't even use it for cocktails. My girlfriend will cook with beer, but she can't stand the stuff on several different levels. I think reducing the drink makes a huge difference.
As for the wine going off. If you can't find it in smaller amounts, try to find a box wine you like well enough. They keep air out so the wine lasts longer. There's also a pump you can find some places that pulls the air out.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:26 pm UTC

That's a rule of thumb about quality, not your personal preference in beverage style. If the wine's too shitty to drink, it's not the right choice to cook with either. It's a contrast to old school 'cooking wines' which were of lower quality and sold as such (and with appropriate price tags) specifically for that purpose.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:36 pm UTC

I tried Cachaca in a Caprinha for the first time last night. So good. I used a little too much sugar though.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:41 am UTC

Azrael wrote:old school 'cooking wines'

aka "salt juice"
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:43 am UTC

Tried my homemade Passion Fruit Vodka cold for the first time last night. Damn good, though hangover-inducing. Might just be dehydration though, rather than true hangover.

Is naming it "Passion of the Vodka" too crass?

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:09 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Is naming it "Passion of the Vodka" too crass?

Surely that has to be "Passion of the Vodka: Receive ye the Holy Spirit"

Also I find that my hangovers from fruit-infused vodkas (we had some fun times with home-made, or more accurately dorm-made, raspberry vodka when I was at college) tend to stem from the fact that it's so easy to forget that it's still a full strength spirit - it tastes like a cocktail so you treat it like a cocktail when judging how much to drink

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:39 am UTC

Four Roses bourbon - anyone have opinions? I was sort of half-listening to a conversation about whisky today and I actually have spending money in the budget for the first time in what seems like (and may very well be) years.

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:10 pm UTC

Haven't tried it yet, but the small batch and single barrel are supposed to be pretty good rye-heavy bourbons. Closely related to Bulleit, if you've tried that.

Return to “Food”