The Liquor Thread

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:51 am UTC

Went out and bought some liquor for the first time in quite a while today. (Hooray, bigger paychecks!) I picked up fifths of Flor de Cana 4 year gold rum and Four Roses single barrel bourbon. I looked for Azrael's favorite Zacapa 23 but it was out of stock at the first store I visited, and by the time I found it at another store I had already made some other purchases so I decided to leave it for another day.

I also browsed Scotches but the prices are just ridiculous. Apparently JW keeps introducing new products? I was eyeing an Oban but decided to stick with the bourbon and rum on this trip. Maybe go back for a Scotch after Christmas if I get some fun money.

I tried the rum this evening; it's been a while since I had any gold rum so my face is probably not well calibrated, but I found it really enjoyable. I'm looking forward to having some more; haven't decided yet if I'll crack open the bourbon right away.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:39 am UTC

Speaking of Scotch, I tried a bit of Highland Park 12. A little bit of everything; a nice summary of what Scotch is all about.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:59 pm UTC

Another good but not entirely spendy Scotch is Auchentoshan.

And Flor de Cana has a 7 rum year which is great. Or you might find Zaya 12 for <3/4 the price of the current batch of Ron Zacapa, and it's really pretty damn close.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:03 am UTC

Azrael wrote:a 7 rum year which is great

Sounds like you might have had some. :P

Yeah, the Gran Reserva 7 year was also on the shelf, but I figured since rum was a side question and not the primary mission I'd go with the inexpensive one to start and work my way up if we hit it off. That way I could justify being a little bit more spendy with the bourbon.

I didn't notice Zaya but I wasn't looking for it, so.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:19 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote: I looked for Azrael's favorite Zacapa 23 but it was out of stock at the first store I visited, and by the time I found it at another store I had already made some other purchases so I decided to leave it for another day.

I was Xmas shopping earlier today and saw it. Man, the price (at least around here) has really shot up in the past 5-8 years.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:50 pm UTC

Whitekiboko wrote:I was Xmas shopping earlier today and saw it. Man, the price (at least around here) has really shot up in the past 5-8 years.

Yup. I think they're riding the demand for premium rum and upped the price accordingly. Appleton's done the same with the 12 year. And now I rarely purchase either. Oh well.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:48 am UTC

I've never had the Zaya. Will give it a go!

Flor de Cana, Pampero and Matusalem are three great, still reasonably priced, rum makers.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:13 am UTC

I found Ron Abuelo 12 year on sale a while back. It's normally around the Zaya or Appleton 12 price point ($32-35), but was only $25. It was really nice. I was at the store last week deciding between the three when it turned out that Zacapa was on sale ($37 instead of $45) so I picked that up. Mostly because I'd just posted that I never buy it anymore. Abuelo is on deck for next time.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:58 am UTC

I forgot how expensive booze is over there. I just picked up the Zacapa for a friend for his birthday, and it was about $35 - not on sale.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:24 am UTC

It's about $90AUD, Google tells me that's just over $70USD. So we are paying double.

:(

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:10 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I forgot how expensive booze is over there. I just picked up the Zacapa for a friend for his birthday, and it was about $35 - not on sale.

Kappy's is always cheaper, but it's a matter of whether they carry things and if I happen to be near one. Atlas is cheap and I'm near one frequently enough, but they haven't really embraced good selection in rum.

Selection close to home is spottier and costlier.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:19 am UTC

dubsola wrote:It's about $90AUD, Google tells me that's just over $70USD. So we are paying double.

:(

To be fair, it comes from a continent we are pretty attached to.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:24 am UTC

We purchased The Balvenie Doublewood 12 Year. The name refers to its being aged partly in bourbon casks and partly in sherry casks. Now, it's been a good while since I purchased a single malt scotch, so my calibration may be off but good lord, this is delicious.

It's very sweet for a Scotch. The first taste I got was almost apple-y. It's fruity, but not aggressively or sharply so; not citrus or berry at all. The flavor is all up front, with a little touch of smoke and earth, and gets mild quickly as it sits in your mouth. It would be a fantastic first Scotch for someone used to drinking bourbon or rum, and since I've recently been drinking bourbons and rums, I guess I'm in the right spot.

I was only going to have myself a finger or two to taste, but I just grabbed the glass while writing this and was astonished and dismayed to find myself drinking the last little sip. If ever I needed a sign that I'm not into Scotch merely for hipster cred, this settles it. Now if only the prices would fall the way oil has recently...

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:00 am UTC

That was the first scotch I tasted -- I was at a conference in Scotland a few years ago, and they gave little 50ml sample bottles to all attendees. I didn't really have a reference point back then.

It also happens to be the last scotch I tasted -- we had some after midnight on New Year's Day. Quite enjoyed it this time. The bourboneyness didn't come through immediately, but I could taste it in the second half of the glass. First half was more dried fruit, to me. A lot more interesting than the Glenlivet/fiddich/morangie we end up with at a lot of family events (though those are tasty too).

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:55 am UTC

Hmm, I'll have to get me some of that - your description sounds quite similar to how I would describe Hazelburn 12 Year, which is absolutely delicious (and also matured in sherry casks).

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:00 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:We purchased The Balvenie Doublewood 12 Year.

They make a Carribean Cask, too. Final aging was in rum barrels. It's pretty nifty.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:25 am UTC

Sad to say I'm kind of bored by the Doublewood already. It was a great "back in the saddle again" malt but now that I've calmed down, I want to try something else.

By the way, Azrael, I got a friend a bottle of Zacapa for his birthday recently. He was nonchalant at the time, probably because for some reason three other people also got him alcohol at the same party, but about a week later he texted me one evening:

Erik wrote:Just tried that rum. That is amazing! You've ruined me for cheap rum!

Great success!

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:15 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
By the way, Azrael, I got a friend a bottle of Zacapa for his birthday recently.

Great success!

A friend is in that part of town right now. Should I tell him to buy me a bottle for when he's back? How strong is it?
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:56 pm UTC

I haven't tried it yet myself, so I couldn't say, but two out of two agree it's good.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:01 pm UTC

Re: Zacapa

I recommend it, holds up well as a pretty-cheap sipper (it's for sale at my costco for under $30). Lots of vanilla notes from what I remember, worked very well mixed with a bit of good ginger beer (Like bunderberg), or in a "rum old fashioned" that I have a tendancy to make recently. (Like a regular old fashioned, but use lime instead of lemon, leave out the cherry)
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:42 pm UTC

Amie wrote:A friend is in that part of town right now. Should I tell him to buy me a bottle for when he's back? How strong is it?

Probably a little late with an answer, but "strong"? It's the same ~40%ABV as everything else. The difference between it and shit like Bacardi is that a) it actually tastes good and b) it's incredibly smooth

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:49 am UTC

Another interpretation there might have been how dark is it. Strong as in molasses.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:57 am UTC

Zacapa for $30? It is $90 here in Australia. Holy crap.

Anyhoo, I'm looking for a new rum to try. I'm not a huge fan of the Agricole style. These are my favourite rum distillers:
Zacapa
Diplomatico
Pampero
Flor de Cana
Matuselem
El Dorado

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:57 pm UTC

Zaya or Ron Abuelo 12 year?

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat May 30, 2015 6:07 am UTC

I finally tried this Carpano Antica Formula vermouth I've been hearing so much about. I've had it in cocktails before, I think, but it's quite nice just with a couple of ice cubes.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:49 pm UTC

I'm interested in making Something-infused-vodka for Christmas gifts this year. I'll need moderately large quantities of vodka (and lesser amounts of Something, I imagine). Since there will be Something in the vodka (orange, cinnamon, cloves, vanilla) it doesn't have to be premium, but I'd rather not turn any relatives blind.

Could someone please recommend me some Pareto-optimal vodkas on the axes of price and quality?

Thanks for any help rendered! :D

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:17 pm UTC

Believe it or not, smirnoff might be a good bet for infusing. The plain 80 or 100 proof should be pretty clean and cheap.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:31 pm UTC

I always use Glenn's. There's something about it that takes new flavour quite well.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:03 pm UTC

Tito's and Prarie are my favorite vodkas, and pretty economical, especially if you're buying by the handle.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:06 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I always use Glenn's. There's something about it that takes new flavour quite well.

Do you mean Glen's? It's bottled about 5 miles away from where I live. For the record, it is, in my opinion, absolutely foul stuff.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:31 pm UTC

Shro wrote:Tito's and Prarie are my favorite vodkas, and pretty economical, especially if you're buying by the handle.
Except when you have to import them to England from the US.

I'm not sure I've ever drunk Glen's straight. But I've made some pretty damn popular infusions with it.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:52 pm UTC

Thank you everyone for your advice! Indeed I should have put the additional constraint (UK-based) in the question.

Now to source fancy bottles and Something...

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:07 pm UTC

Grolsch sell lager in swing-top bottles.

araprado613

Postby araprado613 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:06 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I always use Glenn's. There's something about it that takes new flavour quite well.

Glen's is good. But more often than not I use Archie Rose https://archierose.com.au/shop/product/vodka (this is famous here in Australia) or Smirnoff.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:23 pm UTC

My sloe gin has gone down quite well folks who have tried it. It could have done with a month or two extra steeping time, but it had to be ready for the holiday season. It's improved by sitting in the bottle since then, which surprised me.

My next one is a pomegranate vodka, which, to be honest, I don't have high hopes for. But it's there steeping until I get together enough bottles for it.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:39 pm UTC

Picked up some Sipsmith gin from trader joe's, and I must say it's a lovely example of the London Dry Gin style. I've made a gin and tonic, a ultra-dry martini, and a modified martini with it so far (using Genepy instead of vermouth), and have enjoyed every one.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:40 am UTC

Got a bottle of Appleton 12. The first thing I made with it was a Mai Tai. Slightly underwhelming; I can see why people blend it with a demerara or agricole rhum. I'll try one at some point with equal parts Appleton and El Dorado 12; I have both around, and I hear they are a good Mai Tai combination.

I tried some Appleton neat today, and liked it a lot more. Surprisingly like a bourbon or rye, with a long rich finish like sherried Scotch. If they stopped making American whiskey tomorrow, this is what I'd put in my Old Fashioneds and Manhattans. Maybe even in a Sazerac; I can imagine it playing well with the absinthe. It's more expensive than my usual cocktail whiskeys, though.

On the other hand, after hearing so much about how funky Jamaican rums can be, I found it disappointingly familiar. I guess the age softens out that dunder or mifflin or whatever it's called.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:57 pm UTC

I looked around the Sipsmith distillery when it was in a garage in Ravenscourt Park (a residential part of London).

araprado613

Postby araprado613 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:50 am UTC

There's this distillery/bar in Sydney that's the first of its kind in the city in over 150 years. They do tours of the place and they show you how they make their signature gin, vodka, rye, and their other tailored spirits. The place is really good with a rusty feel to it, and drinks they make are fantastic. Though a bottle costs from $69 to $99 -- this being the basic ones and not the tailored ones -- so it's kind of pricey. But again, it's really good. And the bar is a good place to catch up with friends because of its intimate atmosphere.

If I'm in other countries though, I try to explore local brands and such. But if not available, I'm still drawn back to a Jack and Coke. Classic combo. I also dig Patron from time-to-time, or tequila if I just want to go wild. haha

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:00 am UTC

araprado613 wrote:There's this distillery/bar in Sydney that's the first of its kind in the city in over 150 years. They do tours of the place and they show you how they make their signature gin, vodka, rye, and their other tailored spirits.

An Australian rye? Interesting. Is it in the same style as North American rye whiskey (aged in charred virgin oak), or is it a different beast?

Return to “Food”