silly rabbit! Cereal is for Dinner!

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

my favorite cereal type is

fruity (fruity pebbles, froot loops, trix, etc)
3%
chocolatey (cocoa puffs, cocoa pebbles, etc)
10%
honey (smacks, honey-nut cheerios, golden grahams, etc)
9%
french toast (french toast crunch, cinnamon toast crunch, etc)
4%
apple (apple jacks, apple cinnamon cheerios, etc)
2%
cereal w/ marshmellows (lucky charms, count chocula, marshmellow alphabits, etc)
3%
other (cookie crisp, honey bunches of oats, cap'n crunch, pops, etc)
11%
plain grain sweetened cereal (frosted flakes, alphabits, frosted cheerios, etc)
9%
plain grain unsweetened cereal (corn flakes, corn chex, wheat chex, cheerios, etc)
24%
"heatlhy" cereal (grape nuts, kashi, etc)
18%
i don't like cereal (translation: i am a godless communist)
7%

Total votes: 153

keybored

silly rabbit! Cereal is for Dinner!

Postby keybored » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

this isn't a "favorite cereal" poll because the choice list would have to be a mile long, obviously. (note: brand-name examples are use as such, examples. i know everyone will have their own brands/off-brands being from different countries, some of which might not even still be in production today.) if other, reply with cereal.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:THERE IS NOT A SUFFICIENT CUSSWORD TO SHOW HOW LITTLE I APPRECIATE YOU.
Klapaucius wrote:Unfortunately it was deleted around the time I began, with somewhat shaky logic, to advise him not to rape animals.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: silly rabbit! Cereal is for Dinner!

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

So, I didn't eat sugared cereals until .. well, basically adulthood. I still don't eat them as you would normally.. you see a box of a morning cereal to pour in a bowl and douse with milk, I see a box of snackums to eat with a bare hand like one would eat a box of crackerjacks or something.

As is, Corn Chex or whatever the knockoff brand happens to be called is the best ever, and I'll knife-fight you if you disagree. Not to the death mind you, that'd be stupid. To the maiming.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:06 pm UTC

No knife fight from me. Chex are incredible. They're also flexible: when you've had enough unsweetened breakfast/snack, you can douse them in a veritable shit ton of chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar as part of the largely successful campaign to commit diabetic suicide by delicious.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

I went with healthy because Special K is my favorite over any appreciable length of time. But to be honest, I like most types of cereal and have a special affinity for Apple Jacks, Honey Nut Cheerios and Fruity Pebbles.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

I'm stuck with organic cereal because ALL of the mainstream ones have gluten in them.

I really miss sugar crisp, corn pops, and cheerios. Chex are also forcibly removed from my list of edibles, but I remember that they were delicious. o_o Don't maim me.
Rice Puddin.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:Chex are also forcibly removed from my list of edibles, but I remember that they were delicious. o_o Don't maim me.
ST won't maim you, he'll kill you. He just wanted to be sure that if you happened to get the upper hand in the knife-fight that you didn't kill him. Also, I forgot to mention Product 19. Delicious.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

Chex is great stuff, but I usually go for chocolaty cereal or Cookie Crisp.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Alder

Postby Alder » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

Chex? I know not this foodstuff...

Not that I eat cereal much. Apparently I'm a godless communist. 8)
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:16 am UTC

Chocolate Frosted Flakes FTW. You won't see them many places which is a shame. Cocoa Pebbles or Cinnamon Toast Crunch will do in a pinch.

I don't buy Cookie Crisp anymore as a statement since they succumbed to public pressure and got rid of the robber dogs.

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:22 am UTC

My favorite cereals, by far, are those big, old fashioned shredded wheats (that are about 2 inches by 3 or 4 inches, I think, I'm bad with lengths), and then Crispex. I put some sugar on these, but I can't stand pre-sweetened cereal for some reason, except applejacks and Life, which I never buy.

My past roommates have all individually come to the conclusion that I am a grumpy old (young) man/farmer and even a republican based on my cereal preferences.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:24 am UTC

UmbrageOfSnow wrote:about 2 inches by 3 or 4 inches, I think, I'm bad with lengths

. . . sorry. I keep forgetting I'm not in FaiD.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:47 am UTC

Muesli..... unsweetened....

I'll be over there.
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:08 am UTC

22/7 wrote:
Rinsaikeru wrote:Chex are also forcibly removed from my list of edibles, but I remember that they were delicious. o_o Don't maim me.
ST won't maim you, he'll kill you. He just wanted to be sure that if you happened to get the upper hand in the knife-fight that you didn't kill him. Also, I forgot to mention Product 19. Delicious.

Would you stop giving away my Trix?

commence groaning in 3...2...1...

Alder26 wrote:Chex? I know not this foodstuff...
Not that I eat cereal much. Apparently I'm a godless communist. 8)

Processed corn pasted baked into squares in a checkerboard pattern. Goddamn wonderful.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ninjew

Postby Ninjew » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:51 am UTC

I am a fan of Fruity Dyno Bites myself, seeing as it is a two pound bag for around $4.00, and rather tasty. Thank you bagged cereal.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:19 am UTC

Frosted Mini-wheats. Marshmallow stuff's good too, and Chex (haven't had Chex in ages... I should rectify that mistake). Used to like Frosted Flakes-- I put sugar on them, god help me. It's a miracle I'm not diabetic yet. :)

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

HONEY SMACKS HONEY COMBS HONEY NUT CHEERIOS HONEY BUNCHES OF OATS HONEY HONEY.

I tend to like honey cereals because of how they flavor the milk. Mmmm. And they're good warmed up, too. You can warm Fruity Pebbles and say that they taste good then. Can you?
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

keybored

Postby keybored » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

i'm surprised to see chocolate (my vote, for the record) so low on the list.

@st: i also enjoy cereal dry by itself (although if pressed i prefer it in the traditional style). for convenience, and to keep my hands free of sugary cereal dust, i'll usually pour cereal into a drinking glass and tip a mouthful at a time (in essence drinking the cereal).

@clintonius: muddy buddies, arguably the superior chex mix recipe
LE4dGOLEM wrote:THERE IS NOT A SUFFICIENT CUSSWORD TO SHOW HOW LITTLE I APPRECIATE YOU.
Klapaucius wrote:Unfortunately it was deleted around the time I began, with somewhat shaky logic, to advise him not to rape animals.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:55 am UTC

I've heard cereal polls of large groups, and cheerios seems to be the most common response, esp. honey nut cheerios. Hence, these results don't surprise me.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

Dear God... they make cereal with marshmellow int it?

That is the most horrible thing I have heard of for a while.

My absolute favourite cereal is fruity bix. Which is basically good old australian weet-bix but with bits of dried fruit in it.

As it is, I have no idea what category this falls under... it is fruity, i guess, but not in the same category as something like fruit loops (sugared cereal is disgusting. for srs).

Rinsaikeru wrote:I'm stuck with organic cereal because ALL of the mainstream ones have gluten in them.

I really miss sugar crisp, corn pops, and cheerios. Chex are also forcibly removed from my list of edibles, but I remember that they were delicious. o_o Don't maim me.

It is possible, and not hard to find gluten free cornflakes, if you don't mind them. My dad also does not eat gluten, and eats cornflakes every morning. (and muesli, but yeah).

Alder

Postby Alder » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:29 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Aha! look like 'Shreddies' over on this side of the pond -

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1332/992 ... bf.jpg?v=0

Except these are 'healthy, whole-grain'... :roll:
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:25 pm UTC

I don't know how to vote. I like cereal, but I am a godless communist.

These are the kind of dilemmas that life throws at me.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

I picked the "unsweetened" option, because I do love Chex, Cheerios, etc...but I also like Grape Nuts and Kashi and Muesli and other healthy cereals. If you present me with a bowl of Fruit Loops, you might as well be feeding me chalk. And anyone who knows me knows that I keep emergency moisturizer by my bed in case I accidentally think too much about chalk.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

keybored

Postby keybored » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:30 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:And anyone who knows me knows that I keep emergency moisturizer by my bed in case I accidentally think too much about chalk.

i do too, although not for that reason.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:20 am UTC

I always return to the classic, vaguely healthy cereals. I'll definitely be fighting on the Corn Chex side.

My mom never let us have sugary cereals growing up, so when I get to college I ate disturbing amounts of Lucky Charms and Fruit Loops until I get that urge out of my system and decided that the less sweet ones really did make a better breakfast (or dinner. I don't think I bothered with breakfast that year. Who needs healthy food in college?) I do occasionally buy a box of the sweet stuff if it has a cool toy in it. And even worse, once in a while I'll get Lucky Charms and eat out all of the marshmallows, and then have the little cereal bits for breakfast for the next couple of days (it's a bowl of lucky!)
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

Where's the option for "I am poly-cereal-amorous, I like them all"?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

Flying Betty wrote:My mom never let us have sugary cereals growing up, so when I get to college I ate disturbing amounts of Lucky Charms and Fruit Loops until I get that urge out of my system and decided that the less sweet ones really did make a better breakfast (or dinner. I don't think I bothered with breakfast that year. Who needs healthy food in college?)

This was me exactly. As soon as I moved out I delighted in eating California rolls and a bar of chocolate for breakfast, and Lucky Charms for dinner. It didn't actually take that long for me to decide that there was a reaon my mom made us eat the things she did. Although still like California rolls and chocolate for breakfast.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

ignis fatuus

Postby ignis fatuus » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:28 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Where's the option for "I am poly-cereal-amorous, I like them all"?

Seriously. It was really hard for me to pick. Cereal is a staple of my diet, especially since I became a college student. :P Unsweetened Kashi puffs, those organic peanut butter bumpers, Count Chocula, berry granola... everything and anything, almost. I could spend ages in the cereal aisle at most grocery stores.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

this thread's poll wrote:plain grain unsweetened cereal (corn flakes, corn chex, wheat chex, cheerios, etc)

If you check the nutrition facts for those cereals you'll see that while they are generally not considered to be "sweet" or "sugary" cereals, none of them meet the definition of "unsweetened". Sugar is an added ingredient in each of your examples and the Chex cereals actually have molasses added in addition to the sugar. Wheat Chex has the most according to the nutrition facts (5g per 47g serving, or over 10% sugar by weight) and Cheerios the least (1g per 28g serving).

That being said, I do generally consider Wheat Chex (one of my favorite cereals) and Cheerios to be healthy cereals. I also enjoy Grape-Nuts and Shredded Wheat, mostly when I've got fruit to put in it. Mueslix and anything with like, oats and pecans and raisins or dates, is good.

The most important part of this post, though, is that I mistakenly found this site, which may or may not be an advertising thing for Grape-Nuts; I'm not really sure. But it's my new favorite thing ever.
http://www.nograpesnonuts.com/
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

keybored

Postby keybored » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
this thread's poll wrote:plain grain unsweetened cereal (corn flakes, corn chex, wheat chex, cheerios, etc)

blah blah blah generally not considered to be "sweet" or "sugary" cereals, none of blah blah blah i'm a picky bastard blah blah blah grams of sugar.

very few manufactured food products nowadays have no sugar in them. i'm pretty sure everyone else knows that. i used the phrasing "plain grain unsweetened cereal" as a general label as opposed to "marginally lower sugar level cereal".

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

It's almost like he conceded the point in his post. It's understandable that you missed it, though. That last post was enormous. Hang on, let me see if I can spend a few hours pouring over the tome that was his last post so that I can find it.
Bakemaster wrote:That being said, I do generally consider Wheat Chex (one of my favorite cereals) and Cheerios to be healthy cereals.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

keybored

Postby keybored » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

so basically it boils down to "here's what you did wrong and why but i do/think the same thing."

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

I rather think it boils down to gaseous stupid, but I think it has to melt first, as it started as solid-state stupid rather than liquid stupid.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

I like cereals a lot. I eat them a lot. Here is a brief list of cereals I like

Quisps (they're sooooo good)
King Vitamin
Recee's Puffs
Pops
Quaker: Life (most varieties)
Quaker Oat Squares
Captain Crunch (although I never eat it, cuts your mouth too much)
Special K (especially if they add something to it like strawberries)
Crispix (wish they made a sugared variety)
Cookie Crisps
Frosted Mini-Chex
Smart Start (they still make this?)
Cocoa Krispies (I like the new chocolate/vanilla one too)
Just Bunches (can't eat it though... too crunchy)
Fruity Pebbles

I have a bit of a sweet tooth but like the simple strong flavors of a lot of these. I've also been known to veraciously tear through a box of rice krispies, corn chex, or other homogeneous non-sugared cereal.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

keybored

Postby keybored » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:59 pm UTC

mosc wrote:King Vitamin

they still make that? i wanna have breakfast with the king :(

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

God, I'd forgotten about King Vitamin.

... you fucking asshole, Mosc.. now I'm going to be driving all the fuck over town looking for a box of it. Bastard.

Also, grape nuts + yogurt = delicious. Just throwing that out in case any of you godless heathens hadn't tried it.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

I'd seen it in a store or two here in Georgia. Quaker makes it.
PRG

An important message for you:

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

keybored wrote:so basically it boils down to "here's what you did wrong and why but i do/think the same thing."

It boils down to the fact that "unsweetened" means no added sweetener of any kind, and you still seem to think it means "not sweet". Bananas are unsweetened while still being very sweet and containing a significant amount of sugar.

Most people's perception of the food they buy at the grocery store is shaped more by marketing than by knowing what's actually in the food. But even when you look at the nutrition facts, just thinking about sugar content won't tell you much of anything. Take Wheat Chex as an example—despite the fact that it's got more sugar than Rice or Corn Chex, it's also got more fiber, protein, iron, folic acid (aka vitamin B9) and potassium than the other two by weight. But then you look at Multi-Bran Chex, which sounds like it should be the holy grail of healthy Chex cereals, and it's got twice the sugar and 40% less protein, for a measly 20% more fiber and... 6% daily allowance of copper? What did they do, throw in a roll of pennies, paper wrapper and all? On the other hand, Raisin Bran is pretty good for you, and you may have noticed that most brands coat their raisins in a layer of pure sugar. I've known a lot of people who claimed they never ate unhealthy cereals growing up, only to find out what they mean is they ate mostly Corn Flakes or Rice Krispies. Two servings of either of those is about as nutritious as eating a baseball card and half a Flintstones vitamin for breakfast—and I mean that literally. Mmmm!

Anyway, it's a pet peeve of mine. I'm done ranting now. My favorite crap cereal is Cocoa Puffs.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:... you fucking asshole, Mosc.. now I'm going to be driving all the fuck over town looking for a box of it. Bastard.

You only say that because you haven't had Quisps. If you had, you would be curled up in the corner right now shaking in withdrawal at their very mention. Like... Me...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:09 am UTC

A couple of weeks ago I would have gone with Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. It had been my favorite for about four years; it has great balance of flavor and texture, and it feels a bit classy without being pretentious. I would refer to it as the 'Cadillac of cereals' and felt witty for doing so.
A little under a month ago I tasted a cereal that my roommate bought that is called "Blueberry Crunch" it's Safeway's generic cinnamon toast crunch but with blueberry flavor instead of cinnamon. We call it 'Blueberry Crack" because it's so addictive and we often are distracted throughout the day thinking about it. The stuff is some of the most delicious food ever made, and I'm not even a particularly big fan of blueberries most of the time. When you finish the cereal, you get to drink the blueberry milk, if you use whole milk it's like some sort of amazing milkshake.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:22 am UTC

I'm not sure what it's called... the...cereals? the little round things, anyway, they're shaped like froot(ha) loops, but only red and green. Apple jacks? I threw away the box.

EDIT: I also like to chug massive amounts of soggy rice crispies (the plain ones), I call them rice crispy treats.

Edit, again: Crap
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

Return to “Food”