The Joys of Good Cookware

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

freezeblade

Re: The Joys of Good Cookware

Postby freezeblade » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:05 pm UTC

That's awesome.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:23 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:Speaking of cast iron, it is my understanding a big difference between a lot of modern cast iron and older ones is new ones don't get polished and so seasoning a new one will never be as effective as seasoning an old one.

Is this true? And, is there a way to polish a relatively new cast iron to be smoother?

Rumor has it that the older pans are thinner, lighter. That means they are easier to toss around but also don't sear as well since thinner means less thermal capacity. That's why I like the newer thicker pans.
It's the same reason why the core of a pan is overrated. It's better to have a thick pan that holds a lot of heat instead of relying on conductivity from the stovetop. I can post articles if anyone likes. Think of the savings.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:47 pm UTC

That depends on the brand, my vintage 10" cast iron pan (Wagner Ware, approx 1920's) is heavier than a current-model Lodge of the same size.

However I have a 8" cast iron skillet which is also machined flat and clearly vintage (No maker-mark on the bottom), yet is clearly lighter than a lodge of the same size.

YMMV
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:05 am UTC

freezeblade wrote:That depends on the brand, my vintage 10" cast iron pan (Wagner Ware, approx 1920's) is heavier than a current-model Lodge of the same size.

However I have a 8" cast iron skillet which is also machined flat and clearly vintage (No maker-mark on the bottom), yet is clearly lighter than a lodge of the same size.

YMMV

In either case, the key factor is the thickness of the pan, not the age or brand. If you were to get a pan (or plate of metal) an inch thick, all hotspots are eliminated. *

*It will take longer to heat up, or lower back down, but it will hold a hot even sear like nothing you've ever seen before.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Mon May 08, 2017 8:27 pm UTC

I have allowed myself the purchase of a new kitchen toy. I own so many I don't do this very often any more, but my new spaetzle maker looks like just the ticket. I foresee schnitzel for dinner in the near future.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Tue May 09, 2017 3:20 pm UTC

I have one my grandfather made, which is so good. I should make it more.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Tue May 09, 2017 5:44 pm UTC

it's time to invest in a pasta machine

I saw a handful for $30 and a much nicer one for $72. I'm very open to suggestions.
kalira wrote:But your own butt is always in the past, because it's behind you.

Return to “Food”