Making the most of dorm food

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Nath

Re: Making the most of dorm food

Postby Nath » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:00 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Because my university requires that all freshmen spend the first year in the dorms on campus. In order to live in the dorms, you are required to purchase a meal plan. You can imagine my relief when I moved off campus and my bill went down by several thousand dollars. In addition, the dining halls are relatively few and scattered around campus. There are plenty of university-run outlets and food courts in the most heavily-trafficked areas of campus, but those are not covered in the meal plan; you are welcome to spend even more of your money at these convenient locations!
Also, I've read the housing contract and the university student conduct book; there's nothing in there that says food can't be taken from the dining halls. For some reason it's still forbidden.

My university required us to purchase a bunch of absurdly expensive textbooks. In addition, the university bookstores were relatively few and scattered around campus. Luckily, there's nothing in the university student conduct book saying that books can't be taken from the stores without paying. So I guess that wouldn't be stealing then?

If you think it's OK to steal in these situations, so be it. People have different ideas about right and wrong, and those are yours. I just don't see the point of coming up with elaborate, flimsy rationalizations and pretending that it isn't stealing.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:50 am UTC

Nath, you make some good points but you do damage to your credibility by constantly comparing situations where the items are clearly someone else's property and you have NO agreement with them, and where you have paid to be fed. You are just disagreeing about the amount of food the student should be allowed and where he should have consumed it, not on the fact that he shouldn't have any at all so the analogies fail.

I actually agree with you, btw. Although I also see the point that if you have no choice but to purchase these mealplans (like at podbaydoor's campus) and feel them to be overpriced for what you're getting it's hardly a fair transaction which you can choose not to enter into without losing your right to get educated there.

And I think everyone agrees that his reaction upon confrontation was uncalled for.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:32 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Because my university requires that all freshmen spend the first year in the dorms on campus. In order to live in the dorms, you are required to purchase a meal plan. You can imagine my relief when I moved off campus and my bill went down by several thousand dollars. In addition, the dining halls are relatively few and scattered around campus. There are plenty of university-run outlets and food courts in the most heavily-trafficked areas of campus, but those are not covered in the meal plan; you are welcome to spend even more of your money at these convenient locations!
Also, I've read the housing contract and the university student conduct book; there's nothing in there that says food can't be taken from the dining halls. For some reason it's still forbidden.
I'd be inclined to condemn the student not for taking the pie, but for getting caught and being stupid about it.

Sounds just like BYU.

FYI, a meal plan (at least at my college) lets you come in and eat as often as you want. So, Nath, your argument doesn't really apply unless you waste food or feed it to people without meal plans. It may be against regulations but I don't think anybody could reasonably consider it theft.

Besides, food is a public good. Just kidding.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:57 am UTC

Moo wrote:Nath, you make some good points but you do damage to your credibility by constantly comparing situations where the items are clearly someone else's property and you have NO agreement with them, and where you have paid to be fed. You are just disagreeing about the amount of food the student should be allowed and where he should have consumed it, not on the fact that he shouldn't have any at all so the analogies fail.

What if someone goes to a bookstore and legitimately buys half a dozen notebooks, and sneaks out with an extra one? Am I just disagreeing with the number of books the student should be allowed?

Well, yes. Taking more of something than you paid for is still stealing.

(Note that the cookies, fruit etc. I mentioned were explicitly allowed to be carried out. They posted signs saying this, and asking people not to carry out anything else.)

Moo wrote:I actually agree with you, btw. Although I also see the point that if you have no choice but to purchase these mealplans (like at podbaydoor's campus) and feel them to be overpriced for what you're getting it's hardly a fair transaction which you can choose not to enter into without losing your right to get educated there.

It might be an unfair transaction, but it's still one that people enter voluntarily. Frankly, I think the textbook situation is a complete and utter ripoff, but that doesn't mean I'd steal them. If I think the transaction is worth it overall, I put up with the unfair parts.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:16 pm UTC

Nath wrote:What if someone goes to a bookstore and legitimately buys half a dozen notebooks, and sneaks out with an extra one? Am I just disagreeing with the number of books the student should be allowed?

Well, yes. Taking more of something than you paid for is still stealing.
*sigh* I don't think you get it at all. I have no interest in this analogy as it does not work. Can you seriously not spot the difference between an agreement for a set number - nay, a detailed list of - items, and the obligation to provide "food". Not 220g of potato and 3 chicken breasts and 2 apples and... etc. Get my point?

Move on, seriously, this is not the "That One Time Someone Stole A Pie; Discuss!" thread.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:41 pm UTC

Moo wrote:*sigh* I don't think you get it at all. I have no interest in this analogy as it does not work. Can you seriously not spot the difference between an agreement for a set number - nay, a detailed list of - items, and the obligation to provide "food". Not 220g of potato and 3 chicken breasts and 2 apples and... etc. Get my point?

Move on, seriously, this is not the "That One Time Someone Stole A Pie; Discuss!" thread.

I do get your point, but I don't think you get mine. But you're right, we have gotten pretty far off topic; if anyone wants to continue discussing the ethics of stealing liberating food, we can do so elsewhere.

On topic: my standard dining hall salad involved lettuce, whatever vegetables looked edible that day (often cucumber and tomato), possibly a bit of tuna, some dressing, and Chex Mix. If the main course didn't look that interesting, I'd use salad bar ingredients to make a sandwich instead. The soups and desserts were typically of higher quality than the other food, so I generally went fairly easy on the entrees.

In my room, I was mostly a ramen person. Occasionally some sardines and crackers, or jerky for protein. Canned soups were also convenient. When I started out, I used to buy bagels occasionally, as they last pretty long; eventually I stopped bothering.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

The bookstore analogy only works if the situation is "pay a fixed price at the beginning of each semester and you can come in to our bookstore and read as much as you want! You can read any of our books, even! But...you'll get in trouble if you take any of the books out of the store."

Anyway, on-topic: once, I got a bunch of vanilla ice cream from the weekend takeout window to supplement pumpkin pies my friends were making. I've also "borrowed" salt and sugar from them a lot.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:01 am UTC

Freshman year, when I was in the dorms and had mandatory mealplan, I'd often make myself a sandwich during breakfast, pack it up in tupperware and bring it to class to eat on the days when I had class straight from 11-3. My campus only has one dining hall, and the academic quad is surprisingly devoid of places to eat, and there were days where running back to the dining hall just wasn't possible to grab a bite between classes.
I never felt guilty, because our mealplan, like podbaydoor's, was also all-you-can eat as many times per day as you'd like.

But now I'm in the apartment style dorms, and we have a full kitchen, tiny as it may be. So dorm food for me is now real cooking, and not just whatever can be made using a microwave & George Forman.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:That's funny, I thought multiple people also said their dorms had kitchens.
It's almost like you said "all". Almost...

Also, "stealing" from an overpriced all-you-can-eat cafeteria so that you can have some more later isn't stealing.

Also, try adding crushed dry-roasted, unsalted peanuts to your ramen.

Also, many cafeterias offer (usually) well-stocked sandwich stations. These are your friend.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:54 am UTC

Enough about whether or not things are classed as stealing food.

Miro

Postby Miro » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

Its much cheaper to live off campus than in the dorms in OK.

Dorm: $2350.00 per semester. About $470 a month, this doesnt include the fact that they charge you $10 a day if the campus is closed)
Meal plan(mandatory if you live in the dorms): $850.00 for seven meals a week which is the cheapest plan they have($7.58 a meal).

We dont have a kitchen, but we do have a coffee shop on the first floor thats open 24/7.

Mitora

Postby Mitora » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:24 am UTC

I have the distinct advantage of knowing the people who run my school and being on their good side. Ergo, if I was ever caught with my toaster oven it wouldn't be a very big deal. The staff here is very easy going as it is, as long as you aren't drying your laundry over a George Forman they are pretty cool with it. So what I do is I go to the store and buy a ten pack of chicken breasts, freeze most of them in my very small freezer and make a bunch of meals out of it. I buy pasta for my microwave pasta cooker (which surprisingly isnt half bad, you just Have to remember to salt the water otherwise they do this weird starchy sticky thing) and I buy plenty of fresh veggies and such. It is amazing what a toaster oven, fresh ingredients and good pans can do.

As for Dining Hall Life, I mix and match. Essentially what I do is go to the vegetarian section, because they have well seasoned food. Then I take my plate to the entree or sub area and get meat to put in it. Sometimes I make a salad and add in other ingredients from some of the other lines. I also talk to the staff a lot, and get them to twerk my food a little bit to help me out.

qos

Postby qos » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:57 am UTC

If you have a stove (my suite has a stove, but no oven) you can do burritos/tacos really easily.
It's just meat + seasoning in a pan. We like to wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and warm them over a burner (on low!) for a little bit, then you throw meat, salsa, cheese, rice, beans, sour cream, etc etc in there. Beans and rice are better warmed, I think. Plus, this is really easy to scale for many people/leftovers.
"We can come to look upon the deaths of our enemies with as much regret as we feel for those of our friends, namely, when we miss their existence as witnesses to our success." -Schopenhauer

Return to “Food”