Today I Made:

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

cerbie

Re: Today I Made:

Postby cerbie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:42 am UTC

Mung beans and rice, w/ smoked ham and beer. A bit sweeter than using typical black, red, or kidney beans (also, and reason I did it, mung don't need a very long soak).
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:44 am UTC

I've always ended up with a significant "little rocks" factor when cooking with mung beans.

Might be because I bought the cheap stuff. >.>
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:00 am UTC

Protein bars, adapted from here. Much better tasting and more nutritionally balanced than any store-bought protein bars I've seen, and they only took a few minutes to put together. I think I have a new weekday breakfast habit.

roband

Postby roband » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:25 pm UTC

On Friday I made a Mexican Feast! Fajitas, Enchilladas, Quesadillas, mexican style potatoes and homemade salsas and guacamole.
I had photos, but the memory card in my phone seems to be corrupting all my photos :(
The enchilladas were amazing - sweet potato and chorizo filling. Just ate the leftovers and it was even better today than on Friday.

Cooking later (but for tomorrow) will be chicken, sweet potato and pea pie! Cooking for my mum, for the first time in years, so there's a bit of pressure.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:42 pm UTC

could i have the recipie for that pie? sounds delicious
ImageImageImageImageImage

roband

Postby roband » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:53 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:could i have the recipie for that pie? sounds delicious

I will truly be winging it, I'm afraid :D

If it turns out nicely, I'll let you know how I did it.

Did I mention before that the enchiladas were chorizo and sweet potato? They were so-fucking-delicious. Had the leftovers for lunch today, reheated. Just as good. Will be making again.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:40 pm UTC

roband wrote:The enchilladas were amazing - sweet potato and chorizo filling. Just ate the leftovers and it was even better today than on Friday.

roband wrote:Did I mention before that the enchiladas were chorizo and sweet potato? They were so-fucking-delicious. Had the leftovers for lunch today, reheated. Just as good. Will be making again.
[/quote]
Hahaha, oh dear, I was a little drunk when I made that second post!

Ok, so the pie recipe:

4 chicken breasts, slow cooked in a pint of chicken stock for ~ 8 hours on low.
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bits (any size would have been fine, mine were small batons) - fried gently to soften them. I added a couple of teaspoons of rosemary to the pan here too.
Enough frozen peas to cover the bottom of the pie dish.

Chop the chicken into bits, mix with the peas and sweet potato. Place into pie dish (with no rolling pin, I only had enough pastry to cover the top of the pie).
Taking the stock from the chicken, I added chicken-gravy-granules until it was fairly thick and poured that over the filling in the pie dish.
Top with puff pastry and cut around the edge.
Use spare pastry to create a 'pi' symbol on the top of the pie.

Cook at 200C until pastry is puffed and brown.

First time I've ever made something like this, and I was pretty proud of myself.

gingermrkettle

Postby gingermrkettle » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:56 pm UTC

Pancakes filled with stewed gooseberries and mincemeat. Does the sweet/sharp thing quite nicely.

Gear

Postby Gear » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:13 pm UTC

Chocolate/coffee brownies.
“What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?”
~Calvin and Hobbes

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

My family is doing a thing where each of the children cook once a week. After a few months of randomly picking countries and such, I decided I needed more structure to plan stuff out. So I decided I'd follow the silk road from Rome to Eastern China, then back along a water route (I actually started in Kenya since there was some trading done with East Africa too.)

Anyway, last night was Egypt between Kenya and Rome, so I made ful medames and dolmas. They turned our pretty well. The ful medames was really easy, too.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:52 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:My family is doing a thing where each of the children cook once a week. After a few months of randomly picking countries and such, I decided I needed more structure to plan stuff out. So I decided I'd follow the silk road from Rome to Eastern China, then back along a water route (I actually started in Kenya since there was some trading done with East Africa too.)

Anyway, last night was Egypt between Kenya and Rome, so I made ful medames and dolmas. They turned our pretty well. The ful medames was really easy, too.

That's an absolutely awesome idea and I might just copy it.

I have a really easy time getting stuck cooking the same Mediterranean dishes again, and again, and again. And so I haven't really developed in the last year as a cook, which makes me sad indeed :(
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:51 am UTC

This evening I finally made Somlah Marakot, or Emerald Soup, from my Elephant Walk cookbook. It's really something. I think I ate too much of it.

Every recipe I found on google for the Cambodian name of the dish is a direct copy of the version from my cookbook, so anyone who wants to make it for themselves has only to google. I couldn't find cubanelle peppers at the supermarket so I substituted anaheim. I also used chicken breast instead of parts from a whole bird, for convenience.

Really good soup. Ate it with jasmine rice.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

meridian

Postby meridian » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:40 am UTC

Today I made gluten free, vegan pancakes with bananas as the binding agent. I topped them with a homemade cranberry lemon sauce. Then I made a huge pot of chili. Hippo's recipe with some changes!
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:00 pm UTC

ful medames

Sounded delicious when I looked up what they were.

But apparently I need to go to a speciality store because there wasn't a drop of em (dry or canned, in either original or "round" nomenclature) at any of the grocery stores in a reasonable radius of where I am.

Or buy them online and when coupled with S&H it works out to about $3/lb for... 5 pounds of beans I may or may not like.

So instead I made porkchops in cream of mushroom soup, served over rice with a side dish of spinach casserole using eggs and ricotta cheese.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

Today I accidentally fried some halloumi in butter. Not really part of a spectacular meal (it was going on top of ryvitas & cucumber) but good heavens, it was SO DELICIOUS I just had to come here and share.

roband

Postby roband » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:47 pm UTC

Paprika chicken on chorizo rice.

Cooked 10 chicken drumsticks in a 'add the premade dust and cook in a plastic bag' kinda thing. Ate a few of them last night, with some roasted veg.

Just removed the meat from the bones of the remainder and added half of it to a pan with sautéed onion and chorizo, then added some cooked rice. Fried it all up in the oil used for the onions and chorizo.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:05 am UTC

Red beans and rice with some leftover chicken thrown in. Not bad, but not great.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:21 am UTC

I made a noodle salad with leftover chicken, carrots and cucumber julienne, sliced cabbage, chilli, garlic, coriander, mint, lime and fish sauce. It was pretty delicious!

roband

Postby roband » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:30 am UTC

Sounds amazing.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:43 am UTC

I based it off this recipe: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/28327/w ... odle+salad

I was pretty happy with how it turned out, considering I had to either omit or substitute half the ingredients. I suck at grocery shopping.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:07 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:That's a absolutely awesome idea and I might just copy it.

Yay, I be glad at that.

philsov wrote:
ful medames

Sounded delicious when I looked up what they be'd.

But apparently I need 2 go 2 a speciality store because there wasn't a drop of em (dry or canned, in either original or "round" nomenclature) at any of the grocery stores in a reasonable radius of where HULK.

Or buy they online and when coupled with S&H it works out 2 about $3/lb for... 5 slugs of beans I may or may not like.

So instead I made porkchops in cream of mushroom soup, served over rice with a side dish of spinach casserole using eggs and ricotta cheese.

If you're talking about the beans, don't worry too hard about what type. I used.. black-eyed beans I think. Most of the flavor doesn't come from them, as long as it's not too weird a bean I think you'd be fine.
hermaj wrote:I be'd pretty happy with how it turned out, considering I had 2 either omit or substitute half the ingredients. I suck at grocery shopping.

That just makes it sound like you're a good cook!

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:05 am UTC

A farrotto with squash, gruyere and hazelnuts. Tis similar to a risotto, but made with farro, which is a relative of wheat. Leftovers for breakfast will be a good thing.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:10 am UTC

I was out of mayonnaise and so tried making chicken salad with greek yogurt instead. It worked out decently. A bit tart of course but I put some raisins in and that balanced it out.

The reason I was making chicken salad is that last night I roasted a chicken but didn't bother to flatten it out so the breast got a wee bit dry. Seemed like a good use for it.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:19 am UTC

hermaj wrote:I was pretty happy with how it turned out, considering I had to either omit or substitute half the ingredients. I suck at grocery shopping.

I don't like buying lots of small ingredients unless I know I can use them in other recipes, so the more obscure ones (eg green peppercorns) will get substituted or skipped. I love the recipes which have ingredients listed as 'if available'. I once mentally altered an entire recipe such that all the ingredients were 'if available', and then skipped them all. I found Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's "mackerel with new potatoes" recipe delicate of flavour, but ultimately unsatisfying.

Um yeah, so today I made a raw beetroot, pear, feta and baby leaf salad, with red onions and puy lentils and an olive oil, balsamic and dijon dressing. Pretty healthy. It's totally possible to eat raw beetroot, you just have to cut it into tiny matchsticks.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:39 pm UTC

I've recently come to the idea that cooking (for yourself/your family) isn't about following recipes or making something completely new. It's being able to use what you have and the ideas you get from the recipe to make whatever is most convenient, appealing and nutritious.
Recently, I've made a few delicious things:
Idi and coconut chutney
Lentil pancake things topped with leftover pico de gallo from taco night.
Mac and cheese with whatever cheese I had in the fridge and I didn't have breadcrumbs so I just made my own.
Turkey lasagna and vegetarian mushroom lasagna. I always make two lasagnas at a time because damn they are just so much work on their own.
Pesto Chicken Paninis
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:24 am UTC

Last Thursday was Iraq, and I made this.

Oh my god it was amazing and ridiculously easy. And so simple. And you could probably substitute almost anything out for whatever's available.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:48 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:Last Thursday was Iraq, and I made this.

Okay, wait. You pick a nation one day each week and make a dish based on it?

If so, that's freaking awesome and I want to try.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:00 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Shivahn wrote:Last Thursday was Iraq, and I made this.

Okay, wait. You pick a nation one day each week and make a dish based on it?

If so, that's freaking awesome and I want to try.

Sort of! I used to pick a nation each week, but always put it off too late and then had trouble picking dishes. So instead I made a path through the Silk Road and the maritime trading routes that accompanied it, and I do a country along that path each week.

So far I've done Kenya, Egypt, Rome, Greece, Iraq. After that there's Iran, central Asia (where I haven't picked which country specifically yet), Northern China, Eastern China, Vietnam, Indonesia, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Southern India, Western India, Oman, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Egypt (again), Italy.

After that I will probably panic for a few weeks then pick another historically interesting route :P

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:57 pm UTC

That really is pretty cool, and makes me want to expand my own culinary borders.

I just made some dal, I used a few carrots and some garam masala as the main flavours. It was pretty good.

carbohydrated

Postby carbohydrated » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

The Sandwich of Gods

Lightly toasted bun cut in half, cucumber, tomato, salad, roasted chicken, bacon, mustard.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:08 pm UTC

Lasagna. It was a failure. The only dish I had was far too wide for the one person serving I was making, so I ended up with a wide, shallow lasagna. One layer of both meat and pasta.

Put it in at 200C for 30 minutes and the cheese started to nearly burn, so I took it out. And the pasta was still not cooked.

Miserable. I'm going to have a baked potato with cheese, onion and black pepper instead now.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:16 pm UTC

roband: I have a friend who makes single-serving lasagna in a muffin tin with wonton wrappers instead of pasta. I have yet to try it, but it sounds brilliant.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

roband

Postby roband » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:20 pm UTC

I did consider using my cake tray thing, but decided they were a bit TOO small :D

Sounds good though.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:32 pm UTC

Baking for a single person serving doesn't seem to work well all that often. You could always plan on whatever it is you're baking to be multiple meals and make sure you bake something that reheats well.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:35 pm UTC

roband wrote:Lasagna. It was a failure. The only dish I had was far too wide for the one person serving I was making, so I ended up with a wide, shallow lasagna. One layer of both meat and pasta.

Put it in at 200C for 30 minutes and the cheese started to nearly burn, so I took it out. And the pasta was still not cooked.

Miserable. I'm going to have a baked potato with cheese, onion and black pepper instead now.

You did boil the pasta before assembling the lasagna, yes?
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

roband

Postby roband » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:44 pm UTC

Shro wrote:
roband wrote:Lasagna. It was a failure. The only dish I had was far too wide for the one person serving I was making, so I ended up with a wide, shallow lasagna. One layer of both meat and pasta.

... it doesn't cook in the..? like because.. fuck. I feel pretty fucking stupid.
I was distracted, I guess. Jesus

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:50 pm UTC

roband wrote:
Shro wrote:

... it doesn't cook in the..? like because.. fuck. I feel pretty fucking stupid.
I was distracted, I guess. Jesus

Well, some recipes don't call for the noodles to be cooked before the lasagna goes in the oven. The liquid from the tomato sauce will boil and cook the noodles, given enough time.
He/Him/His/Alex

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:27 am UTC

Also, some noodles say "no boil" on the box. For those, check for a recipe on the box and follow it, at least the first time.
I use small foil loaf pans and freeze the extra lasagnas to have for later.
Better luck next time.

I made creme renversee, or creme caramel. Extra egg yolks and whole milk in the fridge-custard was inevitable. Line the mold with caramel before baking, then turn out onto a rimmed plate. It's the French version of flan.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:57 am UTC

I made a bread salad with parmesan croutons, white beans, leeks and asparagus. The recipe calls for the leeks to be boiled, but that's stupid so I shredded them and fried them in a little butter instead.

It was awesome.
He/Him/His/Alex

roband

Postby roband » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:14 pm UTC

Salmon with a spinach pesto and breadcrumb crust, with cheese-topped garlic bread.
Based on this recipe - http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/132/pes ... ted+salmon
Tasty stuff (if not the best presented ever :D ):
I cooked twice the amount of salmon seen here, and the second one from the edge of the pan was a little raw for my tastes. I'd cook it for a few more minutes, or more spaced, in future.

Return to “Food”