Today I Made:

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jeff_UK

Re: Today I Made:

Postby Jeff_UK » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Chicken Stock! It's now in the freezer waiting, probably for noodle soup or ramen.

The reason I'm so excited is that last time I tried to make chicken stock, I got it almost perfect... then forgot about it and let it boil dry.
"Please only print this post if you really need to"
...hmm....I wonder how much extra energy is required to generate that request...We need a cost/benefit analysis, STAT!

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

Jeff_UK wrote:Chicken Stock! It's now in the freezer waiting, probably for noodle soup or ramen.

The reason I'm so excited is that last time I tried to make chicken stock, I got it almost perfect... then forgot about it and let it boil dry.

So you ended up with chicken bullion?
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:57 am UTC

Burnt chicken bouillon?
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:25 am UTC

Kimchi soup w/ ramen.

I got some kimchi, it made its way to the back of the fridge, and fermented, undisturbed, for months...scary stuff!
Actually, just a little more yeast flavor to it than would be ideal.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

I've been making sweet stuff lately with my friend. We made pecan sandies and shortbread cookies.
For Valentine's day we make Strawberry and Blueberry Parfaits with mousseline and whipped cream and ice cream. For Jacque's birthday, we made tiramisu and oatmeal chocolate chunk chocolate chip toffee cookies (52 of them! He had some to take into work with him) and today we may just be making vanilla, lemon and raspberry macarons.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:17 am UTC

Pastitsio. A Greek version of pasta and cheese sauce with spicy meat. Well regarded by the grown ups, but the kids are not so fond. Still, without exposure they will never learn to eat nifty foods.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:06 am UTC

Farfalle with leeks and chicken sausage, with a silly amount of parmesan. Haven't made this kind of food in a while, having drifted away from pasta.

gingermrkettle

Postby gingermrkettle » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

An interesting version of chilli bread. Take dough (in this case half malthouse made in a breadmaker), roll out into a long strip, cut in half to make two long strips. Put chilli sauce on one side of each, put one strip on the other and roll up. Leave to rise and bake.

Result : lovely soft bread with seams of chilli running through it.

dii

Postby dii » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:30 am UTC

More chicken. I bought these files of chicken that were supposed to be thin, but when I opened the package they were about 2-3 cm thick! What kind of "thin files" are 2-3 cm thick?

Regardless, they were tasty. I seasoned with black pepper, salt, curry and chili. Fried on the pan in vegetable oil on a low heat until I found them sufficiently cooked. Served with rice.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:43 am UTC

Lamb stew with sweet potatoes, red bell peppers and wine. All the sweet ingredients made it kind of, well, sweet, until I balanced it out with some sambal and lime.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

Mini key-lime pies with graham cracker crust.

I found myself with a big bag of key limes that needed juicing, and you can only make so many gimlets.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

Burger, from a nice piece of top blade, with chimichurri, red pepper chipotle spread (store-bought), dijon and tomato. Skipped the onion because the garlic in the chimichurri took care of it. Side of broccoli with (more) garlic, red pepper and Parmesan. Minced the meat and parsley by hand, because apparently I like cutting things into very small pieces.

Tonight's plan: that top blade's sibling, as a steak, with sweet potato and leftover chimichurri.

dii

Postby dii » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:59 am UTC

The Ultimate Meatballs.

I've been perfecting my meatballs recipe for some time now and I think I've finally nailed it. I have achieved perfection (when it comes to meatballs).

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:20 am UTC

Oyster omelette with onions and parsley, with sauce (sambal oelek, fish sauce, lime, ketchup) and broccoli on the side.

dii wrote:I've been perfecting my meatballs recipe for some time now and I think I've finally nailed it. I have achieved perfection (when it comes to meatballs).

What's the secret?

roband

Postby roband » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

Simple butterflied chicken breast (marinated in chilli powder and mixed herbs) and bacon in a shop-bought ciabatta roll.

Very simple, very filling, very fuckin' tasty.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:54 am UTC

Mushroom ragout on garlic-rubbed toast, topped with poached eggs. Turned out pretty well, even though I rarely poach eggs.

dii

Postby dii » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

Nath wrote:
dii wrote:I've been perfecting my meatballs recipe for some time now and I think I've finally nailed it. I have achieved perfection (when it comes to meatballs).

What's the secret?

No single thing, really. Just lots of small things that add up. Incremental improvements learned from experience. It's the sum of all it's parts.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

It's now officially spring, so I made asparagus risotto topped with poached eggs. I've made risotto a handful of times, and the last attempt was several years ago. Last night's turned out pretty well, considering. Could have used another small splash of liquid at the end. The asparagus could have used another 30 seconds. But overall, I was pretty happy with it. The poached eggs turned out well, too: I found some decent, fresh eggs.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

Cobb Salad.

Woefully easy; just a lot of slicing and dicing. Also any "salad" with more chicken/bacon/egg/cheese than greenery is awesome in my book.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Soft pretzels (sourdough), french country sourdough bread.

Breakfast was soy chorizo and egg burrito.

Dinner...who knows.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:02 am UTC

Couldn't decide what to make, so I made everything: green onion pancake with dipping sauce, Chinese-style egg and tomato stir-fry, and avgolemono with some chicken meatballs and stock I had to use up. First attempt at the green onion pancake, and it turned out pretty well, though I'd make a couple of minor changes next time.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:23 am UTC

Avgolemono sounds really good just now, but I have no chicken stock. :( I need to eat something soothing and hot, as I feel moderately queasy and headachy. Herbal tea stayed down but didn't help much. Scrambled eggs on toast? Ramen? Urggh.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:49 am UTC

The south Indian dish 'rasam' or 'chaaru' is a great avgolemono substitute. Here is one version, but most of the ingredients can be substituted. Traditionally eaten with rice as a penultimate course, but sometimes we just drink it out of a cup at the end of a meal.

EDIT: in honor of the date, I made steak and porter pie. Store-bought crust, though.

dii

Postby dii » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:34 am UTC

dii wrote:
Nath wrote:

What's the secret?

No single thing, really. Just lots of small things that add up. Incremental improvements learned from experience. It's the sum of all it's parts.

Actually, I lied, because now that I think of it there's one really important thing that I figured out: the onion needs to be chopped really, really tiny - it needs to be atomized. Then when you think it's small enough, chop it even smaller. Any large pieces of onion hurt the consistency of the meat balls and make them harder to fry. The same applies to other vegetables as well if you use them. Another thing is to use low heat, and not move them around a lot when you first put them on the pan.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:40 am UTC

I now want to write a song called Atomic Onion.

In TIM news: going past a local diner the other day made me crave omelets, so I bought some eggs. (This happens once every couple of years.) Now I have vegetables and eggs, which I have combined into ... pan-cooked veggies with bits of egg stuck to them.

I'm not a big fan of large masses of cooked egg, but are there things I could be doing that are a bit more imaginative than "cook veggies, pour on an egg or two, stir until no longer shiny"?
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:22 am UTC

Poached or soft-boiled or sunny-side-up eggs are good on a pile of vegetables, or even on rice and other stuff (bibimbap-style).

You can make egg-emulsified sauces such as Hollandaise, Mayonnaise, and their various derivatives.

You can use tempered eggs to thicken soups, such as avgolemono.

You can use eggs as binding agents in fishcakes (or bean or vegetable cakes, if you don't eat fish).

You can throw an egg into carby stir-fries.

You also have other options within the 'just vegetables and eggs' category. For instance, you could cook the vegetables, take them out of the pan, make an omelette, and then stuff it with vegetables at the end. I like this texture better, but you do end up with larger chunks of egg.

Chinese tomato-and-egg stir fry is another good, simple option.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:29 am UTC

Nath wrote:Chinese tomato-and-egg stir fry is another good, simple option.

I am surprised I didn't find this on my own. Eggs just sort of scream "we need tomatoes" at me*, which I typically solve with a blop of ketchup.

Next market trip will include tomatoes!

* This might be why I'm not a huge egg fan, maybe.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:14 am UTC

Egg drop soup with lots of grated ginger and maybe some orzo is pretty tasty.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:22 am UTC

After leaving work early (again!) because I still felt like crap, I bought some chicken and made soup. Before it was completely ready I was standing over the pot digging at the chicken with a fork. My pot was smaller than usual, so I don't have much broth left but I will stretch it with some store bought to make Tom Kha and avegolemono over the next few days. I can now understand why people would want to eat again. Total intake since Wednesday being under 1000 calories, having real food in the system has made life much better.
I think I want to make stew soon, too.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:42 am UTC

Ouch.

Yesterday: Japanese clear soup with kelp and bonito dashi, wakame and spring onion. Also made a use-up-the-leftovers dish with chicken meatballs and a large heirloom tomato. Bit of an accident with the red pepper flakes, but long story short, I fished out most of the couple of tablespoons that fell in. Still a pretty... robust dish.

Today: that most traditional of St Patrick's Day foods, Sichuan dry-fried green beans with minced pork and pickled mustard. My first attempt at actual Sichuan food, and it turned out quite well; I don't have to go across town to get my fill of mouth-numbing goodness now.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:03 am UTC

Today I learned: using blenderized fresh mango and banana, and a bit of cardamom, makes for damn tasty muffins. (Spices also included cinnamon and the usual accomplices.)
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

Boozy Buttermilk Banana Spice Muffins!
I kinda made the recipe by smashing a few recipes together from my baking textbook, turned out awesome.

raike

Postby raike » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

Wheat naan and chicken curry.
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:38 am UTC

Note to self: by all means, add plain yogurt into the beaten eggs when making an omelette. Just ... not so much, next time.

(File this one under Ugly But Delicious.)
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:02 am UTC

Big-ass frittata.

Yes, yes, ass-frittata; very droll.

Currently soaking some kombu and shiitake for a chicken and sweet potato soup in clear broth. Might put together a quick grilled cheese with bell pepper spread, to keep me fed while things simmer.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

German Pancake
Coffee

prepping some dough for pain di mie, to be baked tonight.

Alexius

Postby Alexius » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

poxic wrote:
Nath wrote:Chinese tomato-and-egg stir fry is another good, simple option.

I am surprised I didn't find this on my own. Eggs just sort of scream "we need tomatoes" at me*, which I typically solve with a blop of ketchup.

Next market trip will include tomatoes!

* This might be why I'm not a huge egg fan, maybe.

While this is a bit late, other egg possibilities include strapatsada or chakchouka, both of which are some variant on "egg with tomato". While I've never made chakchouka (so can't advise you ,and you should google it), here's how to do strapatsada, aka the hangover cure of the Greek Gods:

Per (large, physically active person):

Chop one small red onion (or half a big red onion) and a clove of garlic (optional). Fry in olive oil until soft. Then, add about 200g/ half a pound of canned chopped tomatoes. Continue frying until much/most of the liquid from the tomatoes is gone (how much you leave is a matter of taste).
Add 2-3 eggs and some oregano as if making scrambled eggs, and fry until the eggs are almost cooked.
Crumble in some feta cheese (optional) and continue cooking until the eggs are done.

Put the whole thing on a plate and serve with plenty of crusty white bread.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:02 am UTC

It was yesterday, but I made Seder. Chopped liver, hard boiled eggs in salt water, two kinds of charoset, roast lamb (I know, not supposed to cook lamb, but it's so tasty!), asparagus, broccoli, chocolate cake roll and a kugle with pineapple and orzo in a coconut custard. Mom did the soup and matzoh balls and the gefilite fish. Our home assembled Haggadah has the third cup of wine appear twice, but other than that it works ok. We may use a different one next year. Especially if we aren't in Jerusalem.

plumander

Postby plumander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:42 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:It was yesterday, but I made Seder. Chopped liver, hard boiled eggs in salt water, two kinds of charoset, roast lamb (I know, not supposed to cook lamb, but it's so tasty!), asparagus, broccoli, chocolate cake roll and a kugle with pineapple and orzo in a coconut custard. Mom did the soup and matzoh balls and the gefilite fish. Our home assembled Haggadah has the third cup of wine appear twice, but other than that it works ok. We may use a different one next year. Especially if we aren't in Jerusalem.

Oh man. Sounds delicious.
For our first seder, we had matzoh ball soup, meatballs, gefilte fish, turkey, sweet potato, stuffed cabbage, kugel, and for dessert the best flourless torte anyone has ever made, courtesy of my mother.
And plenty of matzoh. But nobody likes that anyway.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:02 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:kugle with pineapple and orzo in a coconut custard

Orzo kugel? MADNESS.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Return to “Food”