Today I Made:

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Re: Today I Made:

Postby Sandry » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:19 pm UTC

Well, I used up most of my prior too many zucchini and red peppers problems via something like a tortilla soup, which was fine.

Yesterday I finished off the last red pepper as part of a caprese-ish pasta salad that I'm having for lunch today and seems to have turned out quite pleasant, and I cleared out more vegetables with a tofu curry.

I have a bunch of atulfo mangos and some peaches now and am definitely going to make some fruit salsas this week. We'll see if the weather agrees with my brain, which is suddenly really adamant that it's summer, even though I think today's high isn't even breaking seventy.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:02 pm UTC

sardia wrote:I made chocolate coated pretzels and yogurt coated pretzels last night. The chocolate ones were great, though it was only 66% cocoa. Has anyone tried eating 100%cocoa chocolate before? Someone warned me away, said it would be too bitter.

100% cocoa solids tastes...terrible. At least, that's my impression after trying some high-quality stuff I got from TCHO (local chocolate company) before baking with it. The sweet spot for me for dark chocolate is the upper 70s, low 80's in percentage.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:04 pm UTC

Have tried 99% and it's ... something, but it's not chocolate. And not pleasant. An ingredient maybe but not something to be eaten. It's not even primarily the bitterness, but the unpleasant, crumbly, waxy mouth-feel.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

jeffk

Postby jeffk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:44 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:I have no rational reason but something about boiling water in the microwave seems wrong.

I'm thinking about it in terms of tea and getting the water to the proper temperature, so...
  • Slate says the microwave doesn't heat water evenly. (The article says it's because the kettle heats from the bottom, allowing convection currents to mix the water up, while microwaves hit the water at random places. I recall reading something similar years ago, except that article claimed that the microwaves hit the water from the side. Either way, the convection currents don't work as well.)
  • OTOH, Lifehacker claims that the mug's too small for side-vs-bottom heating to be an issue; the real problem is that you can't control the temperature as easily.
I'm not a water-boiling scientist, so I don't have the right equipment to test any of these theories out :(

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:56 am UTC

Big batch of broccoli and cheddar soup for the residents' association neighbourhood bonfire night on the weekend (it's winter here). Was gooood.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:39 pm UTC

Continuation of chocolate covered pretzels.
Pretzels are a dumb core, their essential properties are dryness, saltiness, crunchiness, and savory brownedness.
Healthier replacement: roasted nuts. Maybe dried fruit?

Moo

Postby Moo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:47 pm UTC

The mooling and I made millionaire's shortbread for my dad for Father's Day. On the downside, I overcooked the caramel layer (due to still no oven so used the microwave), so not much caramel in the resulting chocolate caramel shortbread. On the upside, I just invented really good fudge* shortbread.

*as in crumbly fudge, which is apparently actually called tablet?

Return to “Food”