Today I Made:

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Hyphe

Re: Today I Made:

Postby Hyphe » Thu May 28, 2009 11:26 am UTC

The day before yesterday I made Spaghetti with Skullheads, which is a completely inaccurate name for fusilli with sausage-and-tomato sauce thing. Onions, celery, garlic, aubergine, and sausage cut into meatballs, all fried off in butter, with lots of fresh tomatoes and a good amount of pepper, basil, and red wine. :D

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Thu May 28, 2009 12:04 pm UTC

Boiled cabbage for breakfast, with a dash of mirin and soy sauce.

I also took most of the cabbage and sliced it thin, salted it, roughed it up, weighted it, and covered it. With any luck, it will successfully become live sauerkraut.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu May 28, 2009 12:27 pm UTC

Mixed wild mushroom risotto.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Thu May 28, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

A sadly mediocre chocolate as snacks for the roommates. It was better with powdered sugar on top and I think I'll glaze the half not yet cut into. It might be nice as part of a frozen cake-and ice cream thing.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Thu May 28, 2009 2:35 pm UTC

last night I made a coconut lime curry chicken... gah I am loving that dish!

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Thu May 28, 2009 7:01 pm UTC

Banana and strawberry smoothie.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Fri May 29, 2009 1:44 am UTC

chocolate chip oatmeal cookies... my fav!!!!

ilokoipi

Postby ilokoipi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

I boiled some hulled barley grain (had to check what on earth they're called in English) with sliced bell pepper and cubed carrot and canned tuna. Plus a lot of curry and chili powder, black pepper and salt. Comfort food. I would've added cheese and peanuts or cashews if I'd money for them.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

ilokoipi wrote:I boiled some hulled barley grain (had to check what on earth they're called in English)
"Scotched," or, "whole," also suffice.

A couple days ago, I made onion, garlic, and kale soup in a konbu broth, feeding myself with it until today. Today I did scrambled eggs. Mmm, lazy food.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:57 am UTC

This weekend, we made rump steak, rosemary lamb chops, vegetable skewers, and an amazing savoury bread for a barbecue; with vanilla choc brownie sundae things for dessert as well as three types of virgin cocktails - a creamy fizzy spiced peach thing that was delicious; a mint and lime refresher (a bit like a mojito) that was really good; and fruity iced tea that was ... fine. My friend has pictures but forgets to upload them.

Can you tell it's finally sunny in England and the South African's trying to make full use of it?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:52 am UTC

Yesterday, I made some lime-cherry-blueberry-lemonade (whole fruit, seeds and all, raw). I'll probably finish off the stuff tonight by making more.

Tonight, I made from-scratch sambhar, with in-season yellow squash and okra (I also used parsley and bay leaves to substitute for coriander or curry leaves, which I don't have any of).

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:00 am UTC

I made shimp scampi and egg free cupcakes with cream cheese icing... mmmmm

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:35 pm UTC

Yesterday I cooked veggies in a deep, covered pan (therefore you don't need butter or oil). I added some spices and an orange, and it was quite tasty. And incredibly easy.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

Yesterday (yes, I know it doesn't count) I made a massive square sugar cookie, scored it, added sprinkles in different colors/patterns, and cut it up into tiny squares.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

Yesterday I made a cheesecake. Over the weekend (I didn't have internet, so couldn't post) I made rocky road chicken: Chicken wrapped in bacon, smothered in BBQ sauce and cheese. Yummyful!
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

asad137

Postby asad137 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:59 am UTC

Brisket. NOM.

Asad

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:46 am UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:Chicken wrapped in bacon, smothered in BBQ sauce and cheese. Yummyful!
I know there is an Italian dish by the same name, but I have often seen this dish called hunter's chicken here in England. Either way, sounds good.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:42 pm UTC

Yesterday I made my own take on lentil barley stew, which is exactly what it sounds like and is an old vegetarian favorite of my mother's family (they're Seventh-Day Adventist, the lentil thing goes way back in that culture, also grains) when prepared with water and cooked until potentially mushy, at which point it needs massive amounts of salt and pepper and then is pretty good. It's kind of a comfort food for me.

My version involved cooking it in 2 quarts (1.9L) of chicken broth (about 1.3 times what the lentils and barley alone would need) along with sliced carrots, sliced celery, precooked bratwurst cut into 1/2in (1cm) pieces, curry powder (about a tablespoon? I just kind of dumped it in), and copious amounts of salt and pepper.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:46 pm UTC

A day late, but...I made some "that okra's gonna go bad soon, if I don't do something" soup.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:49 pm UTC

Triple fried egg chilli chutney sandwich. (Yes, I got the idea from Dave Lister. It has since become a staple of my diet - yay for Red Dwarf :) )
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:15 pm UTC

One of my staples (what I often do when cooking for myself and I need something filling) is lentils cooked with spices, carots and onions.

I put 1 volume of lentils in 2 volumes of water, plus the veggies, and I boil everything covered until all the water is gone (I add the spices once the boiling is well controlled).

ilokoipi

Postby ilokoipi » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

Just now finishing off a simple salad. Iceberg lettuce, cucumber, grated (Edam) cheese and canned tuna with (shop bought) paprika-curry dressing.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:26 am UTC

Lentils are incredible! We use them a lot in all sorts of things. I've discovered they make a marvellous addition to shepherd's pie; I now refuse to make it without 'em.

*mmmm, shepherd's pie... thaws some more lamb*

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

Took some leftover poached salmon and buzzed it in the FP with some mayo and herbs and made salmon spread. Wonderful on toast under a bit of mimolette (french "cheddar") warmed until just soft but not bubbly. Also added a splash of white wine. A much better snack than cheeze-puffs or Doritos.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:32 pm UTC

For values of "today" that mean "since posting last"...

Japanese curry
Moussaka
Liver and onions
Liver and chickpea salad
Toasted cheese sandwich
Roasted chestnuts with blue cheese

Yep, semester is over and Amarantha has been cooking like a fiend 8)
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

carbohydrated

Postby carbohydrated » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

The boy was over at my parents' place with me, so we cooked. :)

Grilled salmon with various yummy seasonings, Provencal* style vegetables and some stuffed bell peppers.

[*Thanks there, Grop. :P]

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

Rice with green onions (fresh from local farmer), garlic, tomato, and old bay; with a side of broiled whiting (the rice sort of dominated the meal). This could become a habit.

Amarantha wrote:Triple fried egg chilli chutney sandwich. (Yes, I got the idea from Dave Lister. It has since become a staple of my diet - yay for Red Dwarf :) )
Never heard of Dave Lister, but I'm salivating just reading that.

Between the above and now: bread, stuffed with sautéed potato, onion, garlic, and chicken.

2009-06-21:
Hard to describe without going through the process. My cast iron skillet's seasoning got half-shot from being left in the oven whilst it was preheating for the above bread. So, I cooked some bacon to fix that. But much of the grease smoked off and burned in to the pan. Good, but not what I had in mind, and that was all the bacon. I had already mixed up some eggs, Vidalia, shiitakes, a bulb of garlic, and mixed greens (from local farmer, picked yesterday), mirin, and corn starch, to do some semblance of egg foo young with hot bacon grease. Without enough grease to do that well...I whipped up some cream gravy in the grease (whole wheat flour makes amazing cream gravy, FYI), then heated some butter, turning it into a scrambled omelet thing. But, that kind of lower heat cooking left the garlic not fully cooked (IE, tongue and throat searing), so I had to pick out the garlic, and managed to eat about half of it. Not the average breakfast experience.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

Today I made roasted veggie lasagna. Red onions, pepper, mushrooms and carrots caramelised in the oven and layered with tomato-y sauce and wholemeal pasta, covered with cheese (I didn't use a cheese sauce. Still scrummy :) )

Yesterday I made cottage pie with sweet potato topping instead of normal potato. Also worked well!
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:23 pm UTC

Better late than never.
Hyphe wrote:The day before yesterday I made Spaghetti with Skullheads...

Also, the other night, I made a 6 lb spice-crusted organic cross-rib roast on the barbecue rotissiere. Everyone at the meatluck agreed that it was coma-inducingly delicious.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

Peach pie from scratch - fresh peaches, homemade crust.
It's been sitting on the counter since 2 p.m., taunting me. It was part of my father's day present for my dad, so it's off-limits until he gets home/has dinner/cuts himself a slice.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:43 am UTC

Lamb cutlets with smashed spiced beans and oven-baked beetroot. I'd forgotten how incredibly, amazingly good baked beetroot is. *buys moar beetroot*

Also, ran out of bread for eggs on toast, so I used an old, partly-freezer-burnt piece of puff pastry to make an impromptu egg, cheese and tomato tart. It worked surprisingly well, plus I no longer have a sheet of puff pastry getting in the way of my ice tray when I want to make a Martini. Necessity is the mother of awesome.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:10 pm UTC

Not "today" but...penne in what I'm gonna call a Georgia pesto: olive oil, fresh basil, pecans, garlic, and Vidalia onions.

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:32 pm UTC

Why not call it a Georgia pesto? Usually, penne is only a kind of pasta, which tells nothing about the sauce that may accompany it.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

Garlic-Parmesan fried chicken wings. Did a not-bad job on replicating the ones from Wing Stop, a chicken wing franchise.
Joint the wings- that is, cut them into pieces at the joints. Save the tips to make stock. Heat the oil to 350F and fry the wings until they're nice and crispy. I do this in 2" of oil in a deep sauce pan with a lid-it contains the grease and the oil recovers more smoothly from the shock of the meat dropping in.
While the wings are frying mix a 2:1 batch of powdered parm (Shaky cheese from Kraft for instance) and garlic powder in a small dish. Melt some butter or ghee in a bowl large enough to hold the wings. You need enough to coat all of the wings. When the wings are done put them in teh large bowl and toss them to coat with the butter or ghee, then add the garlic cheese mix and toss some more. When they're all coated you just pick them up and eat them. A damp cloth is very helpful for not spreading cheese-garlic oil all over everything you touch.
Adapt as desired with seasoned salt, lemon pepper, etc.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

Grop wrote:Why not call it a Georgia pesto? Usually, penne is only a kind of pasta, which tells nothing about the sauce that may accompany it.
I meant as in not using pine nuts, which are traditional, expensive, and don't taste as good :).

Ell

Postby Ell » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

Last night: homemade pizza from scratch. Made a double batch of dough, and used the other batch for homemade hot pockets to freeze for later. The pizza came out wonderfully, and the hot pockets look pretty tasty.
The night before: Thai peanut chicken served over rice. Mmmm...
A few days back: Epic mac & cheese, using a proper cheese sauce recipe instead of just dumping cheese onto plain pasta (hey, I'm lazy and it tastes almost as good).
A couple days before that: Giant homemade gingersnaps.

We've been trying to make more stuff from scratch to save money, so I'll probably have more to post soon...I really wish I had a camera for some of this stuff though. That peanut chicken was sexy.
<luke> you're too rational for a girl anyway

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

I like pine nuts....

but pecans are awesome. :D
Rice Puddin.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:25 am UTC

Fried eggs, kidneys and tomatoes on toast, with Worcestershire sauce and green Tabasco. I am eating this at this very moment and it is awesome.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

[Yesterday:] Miso soup with tomatoes and cabbage (by volume, about 3.5 cups of tomato and cabbage--I almost had to change saucepans). Tomatoes are starting to come in season, and it's awesome.

Ell

Postby Ell » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Today I Made: an Indian feast. Cooked up some chicken curry and rice, baked naan from scratch to go with it, and made a nice dessert out of the fresh mangoes we got on sale.
<luke> you're too rational for a girl anyway

Return to “Food”