Since everyting I make is based around cans of chopped, plum tomatos (pre-skinned and seeded & diced tomatos in a can) I thought I'd share the recipes of the only three things I can cook which are actually edible and uses this most wonderful of canned necessities.
The first two should be blathered in parmesan when served!
All can be massively improved with BACON!!Bens pasta sauce Nº1
This is a BIG portion for one person (me). should be about enough for 2 girls small/med appetites. Double the ingredients for 3 guys.
1 Can of chopped, plum tomatos.
'bout 5 tablespoons of single cream.
big handfull o' fresh spinach.
Pasta of any variety, cannaloni/ravioli type jobbies are best with this sauce though.
1. set pasta on the boil, assuming you're using the 11 min dried variety.
2. Blend tomatos in Blender until Blended kinda smooth (don't Blend em too much though, chunks are good). Add salt.
3. Get the tomatos simmering in a pot (they should cook for about 8 to 10 mins in total). Add cream and stir until the colour evens.
4. after about 4 mins of simmering add the basil. be liberal.
5. when the pasta is about 1-2 mins away being drained add the spinach into the sauce and stir it in so it wilts. Make sure its a very big handful though; it seems like a lot when it goes into the pan but loses a lot of its size once its wilted.
6. drain pasta then mix the pasta and sauce in one of the pans. Its best to serve the pasta into the bowls using a ladle with holes in it, so some of the sauce can drain back into the pan as it can get a bit too messy when there is too much sauce in the bowl.Ben's pasta sauce 2
Same serving sizes as Sauce 1.
1 can of tomatos.
1 clove of garlic. cut finely.
Half a red or orange pepper. Diced. Seperate the seeds and keep them to one side.
3rd of a white onion (mans' fist sized onion). Diced.
30-50g of Chirizo Sausage (yey!) Diced.http://www.schwartz.co.uk/productdetail.cfm?id=5119
This magical stuff. If not basil and oregano should suffice. experiment with it.
1. Set the pasta on the boil.
2. Fry the Garlic in the olive oil 'til its golden. shouldn't take more than a minute at a low heat.
3. Add the tomatos to the garlic and oil strait from the can and get it simmering. Add salt.
4. after about a minute add the peppers and onions.
5. wait a couple more minutes (about four minutes since you started) and add the chorizo.
6. when the pasta is about 3 minutes from being drained add the herbs and the pepper seeds (should have about 20-30 little black seeds) to give it a bit of kick.
7. drain the pasta and mix with the sauce in a pan. Serve.Egg and Tomato Sandwiches
1 can of tomatos.
4 slices of bread.
cook the tomatos in the microwave for two minutes, stir, then for another two minutes.
At the same time fry the eggs apart from each. Its best to keep the yolks runny.
Put the eggs on the bread first then the tomatos. this way round minimises bread soakage.
Eat as quickley as possible as it goes cold quite quickley and is ridunculously messy.