Luxury Nuts

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Luxury Nuts

Postby Jorpho » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:09 am UTC

The other day I was looking for pecans for a cookie recipe, and inadvertently picked up a rather expensive container of "pecans praline". But I'm glad I did, because these things are divine. They are pecans in some sort of hard sugary coating; you may have had them in ice cream at some point. I did not previously consider that they might be available without the ice cream. I daresay they are even superior to the mighty dark-chocolate-covered almond!

Another nut of note is the smoked almond, which I daresay will probably provide vegetarians with the closest thing to the bacon experience.

I have to wonder what else I have been missing. What's your favorite luxury nut?

Matt

Re: Luxury Nuts

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

I do enjoy some dry roasted

Do things like Poppycock count? I think i enjoy toffee coated popcorn more than candied nuts.
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:34 pm UTC

I used to really like honey-roasted peanuts, though I wouldn't exactly call them "luxury" nuts. I like ice cream and other desserts with pralines, but have never tried them on their own. Really I'm all set with some beautiful buttery pecans, no toasting or topping required, but I do also enjoy chocolate-covered macadamias.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:15 pm UTC

Macadamia nuts. Unadorned, they're buttery divinity. In chocolate, they're buttery chocolate divinity.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

This thread is making my mouth water...

I love pecans and macadamia nuts plain..but pralines are absolutely devine too. So good. I really liked this high end trail mix i had once that had walnuts, pecans, almonds, dried cherries, and pineapple among other dried fruits.
Rice Puddin.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:20 am UTC

I adore pralines. I've never had them not in ice cream, but I'm sure I would love them. I like pretty much every sort of nut I've ever tried, but candied walnuts are possibly my favorite? I love cashews and macadamia nuts too.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Banarnar
Location: New Zealand, and no, we are not a state of Australia

Postby Banarnar » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:28 pm UTC

Well these all sound VERY tasty, but when I think of luxury nuts I think of.... pine nuts. More of a savoury than sweet flavour, though, I would not sprinkle them over ice cream. Rather expensive but have such a unique taste, and maybe it's the power of suggestion but I usually think they taste like I'm walking through a pine forest with my mouth open. One of those "it tastes like the smell of" things. So good.... really good in quiche and on pizza, and by themselves far too delicious to be affordable!!

Oh, and as far as sweet things go, chocolate-covered roasted almonds should be severely rationed around me!!

levicc00123

Postby levicc00123 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

A few days ago a local German takeaway gave me some freshly roasted almonds with a hard, sweet coating. Quite enjoyable, but not the sort of thing I'd eat every day.

In India, we occasionally used to get cashews with a sweet yellowish-orange coating. Again, quite good if eaten in small quantities. The coating would glue a bunch of nuts together, so you'd break off a chunk rather than eat individual nuts one at a time.

For day-to-day consumption, though, I prefer non-luxury nuts.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

Chocolate covered brazil nuts are a favorite of mine.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Return to “Food”