Food Noob

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Nath

Re: Food Noob

Postby Nath » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:24 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:I'm going to have to go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittgenstein here and assert that if a dish prepared in this way is consistantly called butter chicken when I order it or find a recipe for it, then this dish is called butter chicken.

If the cream version was nearly universal, I'd reluctantly agree with you, but most people do, in fact, put butter in butter chicken. The cream version is an inaccurately-named variant. Besides, no offense to Royal Tandoori, but I wouldn't go to a restaurant in New Westminster looking for a canonical version of an old Mughlai dish. :)

Is there a point where you'd consider a food name factually incorrect? Say, what if some community starting leaving the peanut butter and jelly out of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? If enough people started calling two slices of plain bread a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, would you consider that an accurate name?

But I guess we're digressing here.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:28 am UTC

Nath wrote:
The Utilitarian wrote:I'm going to have to go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittgenstein here and assert that if a dish prepared in this way is consistantly called butter chicken when I order it or find a recipe for it, then this dish is called butter chicken.

If the cream version was nearly universal, I'd reluctantly agree with you, but most people do, in fact, put butter in butter chicken. The cream version is an inaccurately-named variant. Besides, no offense to Royal Tandoori, but I wouldn't go to a restaurant in New Westminster looking for a canonical version of an old Mughlai dish. :)

Is there a point where you'd consider a food name factually incorrect? Say, what if some community starting leaving the peanut butter and jelly out of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? If enough people started calling two slices of plain bread a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, would you consider that an accurate name?

But I guess we're digressing here.

Conceded.

In either case it's DAMN tasty, and not too difficult to prepare with a decent recipe and a fair spice rack.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

YourReality

Postby YourReality » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Speaking as someone with not a ton of sushi making experience... I'd say for a beginner, the most important thing is the rice. You're not going to be able to cut up raw fish yourself, and the assembly is all about practice. So look up some tips and tricks for how to make good sushi rice, make sure you buy the right kind of rice, and follow the directions carefully.

After that, all you need are sheets of nori. And it helps to have a sushi rolling mat, usually made of thin pieces of bamboo. The ingredients can be whatever you like—thin strips of cucumber or carrot are hard to screw up. I personally love unagi (eel) with avocado. Sarah and I also once tried a spicy temari mixture that worked out just fine.

Cool, thanks.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:42 am UTC

I've also had fruit sushi once, while working a symposium thing at Harvard. So you know it must have been sophisticated, amirite? Whatever else it was, anyway, it was surprisingly good with all the normal sushi accoutrements—pickled ginger, wasabi, tamari. Instead of fish, they contained various kinds of melon, kiwi, and I can't remember what else.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

YourReality

Postby YourReality » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:19 pm UTC

Oh wow, that's pretty exciting. Maybe I'll give that a go because fruit is easy to come by AND cut and I'll appear to be sophisticated :P

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:36 pm UTC

A sushi shop near me does a "tropical roll". They use slightly sweeter rice (no vinegar), rice paper instead of seaweed, and roll up chunks of papaya, mango, avocado, and a bit of cream cheese. Delicious.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:15 am UTC

I personally love the touch of vinegar even with sweeter ingredients.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

I made it through the week, with enough leftovers for the rest of my family when they got back. My next cooking challenge is to figure out how to work with strange ingredients. I'll make a seperate thread for it, but thank you all for the help you've given me here.

Return to “Food”