Alfredo sauce: What did I do wrong?

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ams

Alfredo sauce: What did I do wrong?

Postby ams » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

Tonight I tried my hand at making fettucine Alfredo, with sauce from scratch. Is it normal for the Parmasaen cheese to remain kind of gritty in the final product? Did I do something wrong, or is fettucine Alfredo just one of those things that shouldn't be attempted at home?

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Alfredo sauce: What did I do wrong?

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:53 pm UTC

Alfredo can be tricky but it is possible to make it at home. What kind of parm did you use? The stuff in the green can won't work in this sauce. You need the real cheese, and it gets stirred in just before you serve it. What recipe did you use? It may not be a very good one.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

ams

Postby ams » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

The recipe was from the Betty Crocker cookbook. I realize it isn't probably the most genuine Italian, but it should at least work.

The parm was probably the problem. I live in rural Kansas, so finding the top of the line stuff would require a two-hour round trip to Wichita.

Anyway, is it possible to make the sauce with something other than heavy cream? Even whole milk would be more reasonable. The flavor was excellent, but the sauce left almost a greasy feel in my mouth.

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:05 am UTC

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 352AA2GVEZ

Using evaporated milk and butter. Haven't tried it but it sounds good.

asad137

Postby asad137 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:16 am UTC

ams wrote:Anyway, is it possible to make the sauce with something other than heavy cream? Even whole milk would be more reasonable. The flavor was excellent, but the sauce left almost a greasy feel in my mouth.

If you to keep a somewhat thick consistency, you can always start with a roux...You can then use skim milk if you want, the roux will thicken basically anything water-based.

Asad

ams

Postby ams » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:22 pm UTC

I hadn't thought of using a roux-based sauce, but that would probably work. I mean, I use a roux for my chicken tetrazzini, and it handles reheating a lot better.

I guess sometimes I get too hung up on what the recipe calls for.

Axman

Postby Axman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Not knowing what the recipe you used is or the quality of the Parmesan, check this out.

If you want a lighter, less fatty cheese sauce, you can dissolve Gorgonzola into pasta with a little scalded milk, it's also a lot harder to mess up.

Starting with a roux is called a bechamel and is not at all similar, but not bad. Think of it as cheese gravy.

asad137

Postby asad137 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:35 am UTC

Axman wrote:Starting with a roux is called a bechamel and is not at all similar, but not bad. Think of it as cheese gravy.

Once you add the cheese, it's actually a mornay ;)

Asad

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:27 pm UTC

My bad, yo, my bad.

Return to “Food”