Noob Drinks

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Re: Chick Drinks

Postby Belial » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:09 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:Now cocktails and other sweet drinks taste nasty and sickly-sweet to me.

Just to clarify, cocktails are *not* necessarily sweet. Half the things I drink are cocktails, and you'd be hard-pressed to call any of them sweet or noobish. Mostly, they're vile concoctions of gin and absinthe that make people-who-aren't-me gag. Likewise, a standard martini is a cocktail and, again, far from sweet. For that matter, the Old Fashioned. Possibly the first cocktail to go by the name. The addition of a sugar cube doesn't really change the fact that it is basically a glass of whiskey with bitters.

Ulc wrote:Guinness is one of the few beers that I still can't really drink - the flavor is nice, but any beer most suitable served with the comment "Do you want a slice of guinness?" is just.. Well, let's just say that I can't get over the thickness.

<3 Thick, dark beers. But I can usually find better ones than guinness.

Ulc wrote:Belial, just to be sure, you are talking about a properly made White Russian right? Nothings worse than people mixing half a liter of milk and a little bit of vodka, a little bit of kahlua and calling it a white russian! If they are made strong, definitely not what I would call a noob drink.

Meant to answer this the first time, but vodka mostly fades into the background against cream and kahlua, which adds up to *very* sweet. The fact that it also tastes of alcohol if you use ridiculous amounts of vodka (and I don't actually *like* vodka, it's mostly just there to add alcohol content without changing the flavor overmuch) doesn't really save it from being basically liquor candy.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:12 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Just to clarify, cocktails are *not* necessarily sweet. Half the things I drink are cocktails, and you'd be hard-pressed to call any of them sweet or noobish. Mostly, they're vile concoctions of gin and absinthe that make people-who-aren't-me gag. Likewise, a standard martini is a cocktail and, again, far from sweet. For that matter, the Old Fashioned. Possibly the first cocktail to go by the name. The addition of a sugar cube doesn't really change the fact that it is basically a glass of whiskey with bitters.

<3 Thick, dark beers. But I can usually find better ones than guinness.

Yeah, sorry, I was generalising massively w/rt cocktails. But lots of them are sweet, and most of the people I know who drink cocktails drink the sweet ones (although not all are noob drinkers), so my view of them is skewed I guess. Also, gin (even really damn good gin) is foul stuff; I don't mind absinthe though.

And good luck finding a dark beer that isn't guinness in a cheap student bar ;) Nowadays I drink dark beers pretty rarely, normally I go for some nice and hoppy real ale. Or neat whiskey, if the bar has anything good and I'm feeling extravagant.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:23 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:And good luck finding a dark beer that isn't guinness in a cheap student bar ;)

Man, I think I found your problem: you're drinking in bars. You can drink twice the alcohol for half the price (Or twice the amount, twice the quality, same price) if you just drink at home with friends. The markup in bars is *ridiculous*.

They/them

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:16 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:Also, gin (even really damn good gin) is foul stuff; I don't mind absinthe though.

If graduating from a noob drinker to a real drinker was a 12 step process, understanding that Gin is awesome would be step 12.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

Sweet, I'm there!

They/them

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:09 pm UTC

12b) Is that you have to admit that white wine serves a purpose too.

Behavioral patterns indicate that if you're male and "not old", that may be a problem.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Adacore wrote:And good luck finding a dark beer that isn't guinness in a cheap student bar ;)

Man, I think I found your problem: you're drinking in bars. You can drink twice the alcohol for half the price (Or twice the amount, twice the quality, same price) if you just drink at home with friends. The markup in bars is *ridiculous*.

Yeah, as I said though - it was personal history - at the time I was drinking much Guinness I was a fresher at Uni... the union bar pretty much was home.

You may be right about the gin, Azrael, although I have to say I appreciate a good white wine (even if it does tend to mess me up). After all, you can't really have red wine with fish... Having said that (re: gin), I don't think I've tried it since I made the policy decision last year that I don't dislike anything (in terms of food and drink). It's worked for everything else, so perhaps it'll work for gin too.

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:18 am UTC

Belial wrote:<3 Thick, dark beers. But I can usually find better ones than guinness.

I'm not sure whether it's available outside of Australia, but there's a brewery here called Grand Ridge who make an amazing dark ale called "Moonshine", which weighs in at 8.5% alcohol. If you're feeling particularly brave, they also have one at 11%, which they call "Supershine". Should the opportunity to sample either of these present itself, I highly recommend you leap at it with reckless abandon.
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:14 pm UTC

Hmm. I know one store near here that will stock it if anyone will. I'll have a look.

They/them

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:23 pm UTC

Yay Supershine! One year at the Victorian Microbrewery Showcase, they ran out of it. So the brewer cracked out his personal stash, which was a bit more aged than the other batch. Oh me yarm SO GOOD!

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

A friend of mine, he drinks chick drinks, the chickiest. He was also an Army engineer and can shoot clay pigeons with a rifle, at night, one-handed, drunk. (Other hand's for the bottle.) He likes to go Nazi Boxing*. So he's out with this girl; orders a whiskey and a daiquiri or somesuch.

He totally got roofied.

*Goading skinheads into, well, the hospital. Who roofies a Nazi boxer's date?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:23 pm UTC

I like daiquiris and piña coladas and rum runners and any number of sweet drinks that hide the alcohol. I am also, I guess, a relatively noob drinker. But you know what? I don't really care. Becoming an experienced drinker isn't really on the list of my goals in life. Anyway, my tolerance is so low that setting out to be an experienced drinker would probably fuck me up pretty good, not to mention likely to give me cancer.

So, who's up for tequila sunshines?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

Not all daiquiris are created equal. This can be said for a lot of cocktails, though certainly not all—there's not much variation in a dark 'n stormy, for example.

I move that we define "chick drinks" as "whatever Princess Marzipan drinks".
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:46 pm UTC

Axman wrote:A friend of mine, he drinks chick drinks, the chickiest. He was also an Army engineer and can shoot clay pigeons with a rifle, at night, one-handed, drunk. (Other hand's for the bottle.) He likes to go Nazi Boxing*. So he's out with this girl; orders a whiskey and a daiquiri or somesuch.

He totally got roofied.

*Goading skinheads into, well, the hospital. Who roofies a Nazi boxer's date?

a ton of army guys drink girly drinks, they will by mike's and call it beer, no joke.
ImageImageImageImageImage

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:05 am UTC

Fruity girl drinks are, by definition, fruity. "Chick drinks" in gerneral....I basically define it as anything where the sugar overpowers what booze *might* be in there. So, apple-tinis and Brandy Alexanders? Yep, those would fall under "chick drink". Mojitos (not from drink mix), gin and tonics, and classic martinis? Definitely not chick drinks.

As to beer: I used to not be into it either. It all tasted narsty as all get-out to me. I'm slowly acclimating myself to beer and finding it's not quite as bad as I once thought. A friend of mine is trying to educate me on beer. Last night he brought over some Arrogant Bastard and Boddington's to show me two different styles of what he would consider to be good beer. I actually kind of liked the Boddington's. Several days prior to that I was given a Blue Moon by a friend of a friend at the bar and that didn't strike me as being too bad either. I think when I'd initially started trying to drink beer (when I was like 17), I was drinking whatever was availible and cheap, so Budweiser and things of that ilk and it's no wonder I would have had a bad initial impression.
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

KallistiEngel wrote:Fruity noob drinks are, by definition, fruity. "Noob drinks" in gerneral....I basically define it as anything where the sugar overpowers what booze *might* be in there. So, apple-tinis and Brandy Alexanders? Yep, those would fall under "noob drink". Mojitos (not from drink mix), gin and tonics, and classic martinis? Definitely not noob drinks.

Fix'd
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:29 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:
KallistiEngel wrote:Fruity noob drinks are, by definition, fruity. "Noob drinks" in gerneral....I basically define it as anything where the sugar overpowers what booze *might* be in there. So, apple-tinis and Brandy Alexanders? Yep, those would fall under "noob drink". Mojitos (not from drink mix), gin and tonics, and classic martinis? Definitely not noob drinks.

Fix'd

Eh, I know chicks who refer to them as "chick drinks" or "girl drinks". Then again, a lot of the girls (ladies, women, chicks, broads, biddies, cabbages...whatever the particular bunch wants to be called) I hang out with have taste and won't touch those sort of drinks.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:24 am UTC

So, by definition, they're not really drinks for chicks.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:38 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:So, by definition, they're not really drinks for chicks.

Don't look at me, man. I didn't do it.

Twirlcan

Postby Twirlcan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

A chick drink is one that has Hugh Grant in it somehow. (the distilation process is a bit "ugly")

But I think the more important question would be "what is not a chick drink?"

Since the question is made by men who take on the veneer of being manly. They get things like barbed wire tattoos and wear some kind of jacket that used to be a cow and they tend to order things they view as being manly like Pabst Blue Ribbon and Jack Daniels. But this is really the same thing as those birds that stick twigs in their tailfeathers to try to appear to be something they are not (an alcoholic motorcycle owner with no taste buds).

Like birds, the display works or else no one would bother being concerned about what is a chick drink or not.

If you go to a really tough bar, one that only has men in it and the only women their are prostitutes, you will see men enjoying some kind of umbrella drink (keeps the bugs out) while checking to see if a prostitute is really a woman or not and the Jack Daniels will gather dust as raspberry floaters are enjoyed by homocidal people.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

Maybe "chick drink" is the wrong term, but it's the only term I know of that works well for them. I know "noob drink" is the prefered term here (through some trial and error), but I'm not calling them that out in the real world. And yes, I've tried finding accptable substitutes. "Fruity drinks" doesn't work because it eliminates some drinks that would fall into the category (like a Brandy Alexander) which contain no fruit, and includes others (like a whiskey sour) that don't. Umbrella drink doesn't work because they don't all have umbrellas.

As I typed this, a thought occured to me. Maybe just calling them "sweet drinks" would work, because that fits the general description of what people think of as "chick drinks".

And no, it's not just guys drinking low quality stuff because they think they're hardened manly men who use the term. I know a lot of females who use the term. Then again, these are the girls I hang out with who could probably out-drink me any day. And I don't think there's many people who would put high quality single-malt Scotch or an original martini into the category of "chick drink". So, pushing cultural errata aside, perhaps "sweet drink" is an acceptable term for the things that are generally classed under the term "chick drink" as that seems to be a unifying factor of what's put into the category.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:28 am UTC

KallistiEngel wrote: I know "noob drink" is the prefered term here (through some trial and error), but I'm not calling them that out in the real world..

Emphasis added, and I fail to understand why you aren't calling them that out in the real world.
uhhhh fuck.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:38 am UTC

I don't like the term chick drink, but I know lots of people (male and female) who use it. Pro tip: just cuz a woman uses a term, doesn't mean it isn't sexist.

If you think about it, it's as culturally loaded as any of the other ways women are constantly pointed out as weaker, less able to hold liquor, more sentimental, unathletic etc. I don't use it, but outside this discussion I likely wouldn't call someone on using it. It perpetuates a harmful stereotype, it's unintentional, I just leave it be and roll my eyes.
Rice Puddin.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:01 am UTC

Midnight wrote:
KallistiEngel wrote: I know "noob drink" is the prefered term here (through some trial and error), but I'm not calling them that out in the real world..

Emphasis added, and I fail to understand why you aren't calling them that out in the real world.

Because it sounds silly and forums are discussion places where anyone can jump in at any time. If I'm talking amongst me and my friends, I'm not censoring myself on anything. My friends have a sense of humor and it's not going to offend any of them if I call them chick drinks or whatever else. And that's by far a much less risque thing than most of what's discussed with good humor amongst my close friends.

I. Don't. Like. Censorship. Period. With rare exceptions being made exclusively for words used deliberately to express hatred toward a group of people. Online, I understand different things are accepted on different forums. Some allow cursing, some don't, some can take comments that might otherwise be offensive in good humor, some like everyone to play nice. And I will tailor my language accordingly, just as I wouldn't curse in a college essay. But to cut a term that is viewed as inoffensive by certain groups I hang out with out of my vocabulary entirely just because SOMEONE could construe it as being offensive is ridiculous.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:16 am UTC

The issue is less that someone will be insulted than it is that some other one (or ones) will pick up on the usage and perpetuate it, just as you are doing, and that this is a thing which contributes in some way to A Bad Thing. In this case, sexist attitudes.

And re: censorship: bitch please. Voluntarily deciding to say certain things and not other things is not censorship. Using a different word to say the same thing does not prevent you from communicating. Censorship is not the droid you are looking for.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:41 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:I don't like the term chick drink, but I know lots of people (male and female) who use it. Pro tip: just cuz a woman uses a term, doesn't mean it isn't sexist.

If you think about it, it's as culturally loaded as any of the other ways women are constantly pointed out as weaker, less able to hold liquor, more sentimental, unathletic etc. I don't use it, but outside this discussion I likely wouldn't call someone on using it. It perpetuates a harmful stereotype, it's unintentional, I just leave it be and roll my eyes.

I can respect this, but I also accept that language changes over time. Have you ever used the term "uppity"? How about "jerry-rigged"? Have you ever said someone "jipped you out of something"? How about calling a movie/video game/book "lame"?

All of those at one time would be considered HIGHLY offensive, but are now mostly benign.

Have you ever used the terms "moron", "imbecile", or "idiot"? Because all of those terms used to refer to degrees of mental disability (for specific ranges of low I.Q. on the Binet scale). If so, would you call someone "retarded"?

Language is dynamic, and often intent is more important than the words said.

This is also a side note, but I'm sort of wondering where the term "chick" being used to describe a woman came from. That and "broad". Because I see no connection between women and the other meanings of those words....

Bakemaster wrote:The issue is less that someone will be insulted than it is that some other one (or ones) will pick up on the usage and perpetuate it, just as you are doing, and that this is a thing which contributes in some way to A Bad Thing. In this case, sexist attitudes.

And re: censorship: bitch please. Voluntarily deciding to say certain things and not other things is not censorship. Using a different word to say the same thing does not prevent you from communicating. Censorship is not the droid you are looking for.

I understand this is a touchy subject. But I personally don't see the connection between using the term "chick drink" and being sexist. I fully acknowledge that there are women out there who could easily kick my ass (I drink with some of them), and I don't actually refer to women as "chicks". I don't try to oppress women, and I'm 110% for them being treated equally to me and anyone else who happens to have a penis. But modifying my language by removing any terms that COULD be offensive is ridiculous because nearly everything is offensive to SOMEONE. My use of the scientifically correct term for the male genetalia would be offensive to some. And to the even more prudish, even the use of the word genetalia.

Can I ask (without people jumping down my throat please. Thank Godess nobody has yet....), would you so adamant in trying to change my real-life language if I were equipped with a vagina rather than a penis? And what makes that right if the term is not being used specifically to insult someone in either case?

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:02 am UTC

KallistiEngel wrote:I understand this is a touchy subject. But I personally don't see the connection between using the term "chick drink" and being sexist.

The connection is that terming a weak or sugary drink a "chick drink" implies that women can't handle the strong taste of more "manly" drinks, therefore, women are weak. There are many, many similar phrases that imply that women are weak, and this sort of language is used (regardless of intention) to promote an image of women that doesn't do anyone (but especially women) any good. Hence, sexism.

KallistiEngel wrote:But modifying my language by removing any terms that COULD be offensive is ridiculous because nearly everything is offensive to SOMEONE. My use of the scientifically correct term for the male genetalia would be offensive to some. And to the even more prudish, even the use of the word genetalia.

The difference is that people who are offended by the word "penis" are not an oppressed minority, and there is not an entire culture and language built around words that refer to them or their characteristics. Women are, and there is.

KallistiEngel wrote:Can I ask (without people jumping down my throat please. Thank Godess nobody has yet....), would you so adamant in trying to change my real-life language if I were equipped with a vagina rather than a penis? And what makes that right if the term is not being used specifically to insult someone in either case?

I think you'll find that around here, people are hard on sexism no matter who it comes from, and as I explained before, intent doesn't really matter, because the meaning and the implication remain the same no matter what the intent is.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:13 am UTC

First of all, there are so many members of this forum who are more qualified and able to talk about this than me, and for what it's worth, I have at times disagreed with many of them in the past, and in some of those cases no longer disagree with them. So take what I say at face value, I guess?

First, try not to think of things in terms of defining whether Person X is sexist. This makes things difficult for a few reasons, not the least of which is that if Person X is part of the conversation he or she will probably become agitated and defensive and other things that don't make it easier to have a productive conversation. Try to instead think in terms of actions and attitudes that have sexist effects or outcomes. Let's discuss things from the fairly pragmatic perspective of, "What improves the situation of the disadvantaged group?" rather than asking, "Which people are bad, sexist people?"

So, let's talk about the connection between using a term like "chick drink" and sexism, rather than the connection between using the term and being A SEXIST ASS WHO SUCKS or any other such charged, antagonistic perspective. The term does two things; on one level, it defines a certain group of drinks by common characteristics which have to do with the drinks. It's kind of ambiguous, and we've spent a good amount of this thread trying to pin that definition down. On another level, it defines that same group of drinks by one characteristic which has nothing to do with drinks, but with stereotypical masculinity and femininity. Not medical or genetic or chemical maleness and femaleness, mind you.

Now, if there's a medical or genetic or chemical way to classify drinks as being proper for one gender or another, I'm not aware of it. More importantly, neither are the people who use the term "chick drink". What we're doing is deciding on some way to associate drink characteristics with those gender stereotypes. Can we agree that the perpetuation of gender stereotypes is harmful, at the very least, to people who fall outside of them? Because if we can, then it shouldn't be too much of a leap to arrive at the conclusion that classifying drinks, or anything really, according to those gender stereotypes is similarly harmful. Is it a big deal? Not to the extent that gender discrimination in hiring practices or pay scale is a big deal, perhaps. But it's still an issue because it still has an impact.

tl;dr: When you call something a "chick drink" you divide things by gender in a way that is not based on actual gender, but on stereotypes, thereby perpetuating and reinforcing those stereotypes through your language. Furthermore, the common perception of the term "chick drink" is that it refers particularly to drinks that are weak, impotent, barely drinks at all. They have less alcohol, or they are designed to seem as though they have less alcohol. They are sweet, they are easy to drink, they are for people who are unable to take other drinks. So the association you're reinforcing is one that pairs women with weakness, impotence, inability, and a sense of not counting; a chick drink has so little alcohol, it might as well not be a drink at all. A woman has so little of what makes a person worth something, she might as well not be a person at all. This is an extreme position, sure, but it's present in these little turns of phrase, only in tiny amounts. This doesn't necessarily go through someone's conscious mind when they talk about a "chick drink", but it does affect their perception.

And now I'm going to press "preview" and see whether I've been ninja'd yet by one of the folks with more practice in this sort of discussion, and who probably takes far less time to say the same thing better... (Oh hey, it's my wife. Hi wife! You're one swell chick.)

scubaboymax

Postby scubaboymax » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:02 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:This was my gateway beer. It was like, "Wow, beer doesn't suck. VB sucks.".

Yes, as a fellow Australian VB is absolutely the complete worst beer ever brewed (?). XXXX is not that great either, though I am sometimes forced to drink it cause I get it for free :)

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:37 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:lots of stuff

Look, I understand that perspective. But it's got zip to do with my using the term among my friends, and I really don't think it influences how I see women at all. There's a big disconnect between chick drink-->chick=slang term for woman-->said drinks are weak-->women are weak-->women are inferior to men. And I'd argue that it's false reasoning to think that just using the term will make you think any less of women.

As I've said, I will use whatever terms are appropriate on these fora, and I may use other terms elsewhere. But I see no harm in using the term chick drink around my close friends and drinking partners. Especially considering most of them are not only female, but don't take things very seriously (and a lot of times are worse than I am). Am I gonna walk into a bar, turn to the bartender and say "gimme something strong, none of those chick drinks"? No. Am I gonna use it in mixed company? Probably not. Am I trying to persuade you that everyone should use the term? No. But again, I don't go out of my way to not offend people. Nor do I try to offend. Take it for what it is. But I don't like other people telling me how I should conduct my personal life. THAT is what I was viewing as censorship.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 am UTC

KallistiEngel wrote:
Mr. Bakerstein wrote:lots of stuff

Look, I understand that perspective. But it's got zip to do with my using the term among my friends, and I really don't think it influences how I see women at all.

What, exactly, does it mean when you describe a drink as a chick drink?

Nobody is saying anything about how you see women. We are saying that using language that is designed to disparage women and/or elevate men, that you are perpetuating a stereotype and a social norm that isn't really acceptable. It's not about YOU being misogynistic, so much as you (and your friends, if you use this language with them) unwittingly contributing to a society that devalues women and assigns them false characteristics.
Last edited by PictureSarah on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:57 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Re: Noob Drinks

Postby apricity » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:55 am UTC

Yo, this is a thread for talking about noob drinks. Not a thread for discussion about sexism. We have plenty of those going on elsewhere in the fora. Further discussion on anything besides the topic should be had via PM or not at all.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

Alright, less noob-y drinkers, here's a chance to edumacate me.

Next week I'll be in Berlin for the 20th anniversary of the Fall of the Wall with a class from my University. I fully intend to go to a bar/pub/what have you and catch the United-Chelsea game Sunday. Being in Germany and all, what should I order?
Vi verborum omnia superabo

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:03 am UTC

the_phoenix612 wrote:Alright, less noob-y drinkers, here's a chance to edumacate me.

Next week I'll be in Berlin for the 20th anniversary of the Fall of the Wall with a class from my University. I fully intend to go to a bar/pub/what have you and catch the United-Chelsea game Sunday. Being in Germany and all, what should I order?

Are you looking for beer or liquor? I'm gonna say beer is most likely since Germany's big on that (Oktoberfest, anyone?).

As for suggestions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Germany

Decide what variety sounds good, then come back for suggestions on beers of that variety.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:13 pm UTC

Alcoholic smoothies = favorite way to get drunk ever. Tropical Liqueurs (otherwise known as Trops to everyone ever) is one of the most popular bars in town. Even Everclear goes down so smooth and easy when it's squirreled away in tons of shaved ice, frozen fruit, and sugary juices.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:34 pm UTC

So as it turns out, when you're not drinking crap American beer, it can be quite tasty. :)
Vi verborum omnia superabo

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:29 am UTC

the_phoenix612 wrote:So as it turns out, when you're not drinking crap mass-market American beer, it can be quite tasty. :)

Fixed that for ya. I've had some good beers from smaller/less well-known breweries. Mass market beers, the production focus is on quantity more than quality. Because most of those beers already have an established market and people will drink them even if they're crap (also, college kids tend to buy cheaper beer because it goes farther for the amount you spent).

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:20 am UTC

Got some Half-and-Half twisted tea. Too bad it isn't warm anymore. It would be perfect for that kind of weather.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

AntonGarou

Postby AntonGarou » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:16 am UTC

SexyTalon wrote:Bass Pale Ale, Newcastle Brown Ale, Red Stripe Lager, Smithwicks Draught, Shiner Bock

I don't know these, but I do know that I'd recommend Guinness(keg only) or any other good stout for beginners.It was the beer that started me on drinking, after years of thinking of beer as "used dishwater"- I suspect what I was missing was complexity of taste: most light beers(at least over here) have very little complexity- Guinness has several undertones vying for your attention.
I'm not nitpicking, I'm quarkpicking!

Return to “Food”