Worst Food Decisions, or WHY DID I EAT THAT URGRGRBLEH

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Aleril
Le Rail

Worst Food Decisions, or WHY DID I EAT THAT URGRGRBLEH

Postby Aleril » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

Ever eat something that you made or ordered that you really, really regretted? Something along the lines of what I do..... pretty much all the time?

My worst story was during a shift at the movie theatre I work at. I am was a bit addicted to Man Vs Food at the time and my boredom at work propelled me to think of something that the mighty Adam Richman would have to endure. Since my theatre sells these crappy overpriced hot dogs and one of the free condiments are jalapeno slices, my idea was to remove the meat part of the dog, fill 3 or 4 buns with these slices along with other, hotter peppers, and drizzle hot sauce all over it. Well, to try it out I just put some of the jalapeno slices in the bun to see how it felt. Although it wasn't as amazingly spicy as I thought it was going to be, it gave me the worst stomach ache I have ever had. I won't go into much detail about how bad it was, but I had to leave work the next day and still had it the day after.

TL,DR: I ate a hot dog bun filled with Jalapenos, inflicts worst stomach ache I have ever had.

Decker

Re: Worst Food Decisions, or WHY DID I EAT THAT URGRGRBLEH

Postby Decker » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

I hate salmon. Smoked salmon, grilled salmon. Can't stand it.

Why I thought it would be a good idea to try sushi with RAW salmon, I'll never know.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

frywater

Postby frywater » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:48 pm UTC

I just drank a 16 oz Red Bull along with a large slice of cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory and I really need my mom right now.
O day and night, but this is wondrous strange!

mypsychoticself

Postby mypsychoticself » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:59 pm UTC

frywater wrote:I just drank a 16 oz Red Bull along with a large slice of cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory and I really need my mom right now.

::hugs::

I was in Germany, but I don't speak German. I didn't feel like going through a dictionary to translate all of the food items, so I picked one at random. I was served a slice of bread topped with ground meat and chopped onions. This wouldn't have been a problem, except that the bread was the only thing that had been cooked.
RAW MEAT ON A PIECE OF BREAD!!1!!!1
I knew that we had suffered each as other,
And could have grasped your hand and cried, "My brother!"

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:11 pm UTC

Do bad combinations of booze and food count? Because I've definitely done a few of those.

Spicy pub fries + 6 screwdrivers I mixed myself (I only remember drinking 4, I'm told I had 6) = major sickness. Not only that, but I was drunk for a good portion of the next day. And had a Bio exam that day....

Large amounts of pepperoni + black russians = major illness again.
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

Twirlcan

Postby Twirlcan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

I ate the partially digested contents of a pigs small intestine once.

Just once.

Its a long story involving me, some Bulgarians, lots of rakia and of course a pig and a fork.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

I can eat just about eat anything with a couple of memorable exceptions. Here's one :

In Vietnam I was sharing a four-man cabin on a long train ride with three Vietnamese passengers. One senior-aged gentlemen, one middle-aged woman, and one man in his late 30's/early 40's. All of us were strangers,and the man in his late 30's/early 40's could speak a few -- very few-- words of English. Enough that I could get the jist of a conversation sometimes, without really knowing what was going on.

We were eating a standard train lunch together when the senior took out this dark-grey sausage-shaped food and cut it up for everyone to share. He put some on my plate, but it didn't look appealing and it smelled worse, and I had (still have) absolutely no idea what it was; So I left it on the side; however, plowing through our noodles, my cabinmates noticed that I wasn't eating this pungent food, and the middle-aged woman said something to me that was basically translated to me as that I should be respectful to my elders. Everyone looked slightly uncomfortable, and I thought, Christ, if this guy can survive wars with France, America, and China, I can handle a bit of grey shit.

So with the three cabinmates watching me, I picked it up and popped into my mouth. The taste was as disagreeable as the smell. I chewed it for what felt like eternity, and then I fought my gag refluxes and swallowed it. After finishing it, trying to hide the tears in my eyes and the gasps for air, I smiled and gave a nod that I enjoyed it. I was a little too convincing, because the older man, gave a look of relief. He then took out some more, cut it up, and put it on my noodles.

eds01

Postby eds01 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

Slivovitz.

Worst thing I've ever tried to drink.

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:36 am UTC

KallistiEngel wrote:Large amounts of pepperoni + black russians = major illness again.

Fermented meat and cream do not usually mix.
Speaking of, was younger and was part of a group that decided to do a "Meat day and Beer night" event, which is pretty self explanatory. Wasn't involved myself, but was witness to a meatshake (meat in a milk shake), 2 Meat Lover's Skillets from a certain restaurant, and copious amounts of beer (the latter of which I was party to).

In hindsight, Haggis is not all that appetizing to think about, but wasn't so bad at the time. And I've got Scottish heritage.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:07 am UTC

psychosomaticism wrote:
KallistiEngel wrote:Large amounts of pepperoni + black russians = major illness again.

Fermented meat and cream do not usually mix.
Speaking of, was younger and was part of a group that decided to do a "Meat day and Beer night" event, which is pretty self explanatory. Wasn't involved myself, but was witness to a meatshake (meat in a milk shake), 2 Meat Lover's Skillets from a certain restaurant, and copious amounts of beer (the latter of which I was party to).

In hindsight, Haggis is not all that appetizing to think about, but wasn't so bad at the time. And I've got Scottish heritage.

Black Russian. No cream. White Russians are the same thing, but with cream. But yes, they did not mix well. But the pepperoni seemed so delicious when I was drinking!....

Not A Llama

Postby Not A Llama » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:08 am UTC

psychosomaticism wrote:Fermented meat and cream do not usually mix.

Fools! Everyone knows that the proper dish there is beer milkshakes!

As for things I never should have eaten: probably the habanero-filled chili I just ate that was chock-full of meat. I already don't feel well and as a mostly-vegetarian, sometimes eating too much meat can really hurt.

Greyplayer

Postby Greyplayer » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

I love eating and experimenting, so I actually tried lots of weird foods, including rabbits eyes, raw jellyfish, living shrimps...
But even when it was unpleasant, I did not regret it. Exept when a Vietnamese friend of a friend of a friend of mine offered me to taste mooncake. I'm always ready to taste foreign foods, but as soon as I had a small bit in my mouth, I was about to throw up. There was a precise ingredient (still unidentified) which physically revulsed me. I tried to swallow it, but was unable to. I'll probably wait a long time before I try mooncake again.

crystalclear

Postby crystalclear » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:04 pm UTC

Bittermelon.
Why on earth I would eat a "food" with the word "bitter" in its name is still a mystery to me. It's BITTER! (whoda thunk)

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

You probably don't ever want to try stinky tofu, then. ^_^
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

I was craving chocolate milk on a snow day when I was like 14 and tried to melt some chocolate chips in a mug full of milk. It didn't work and the cleanup was horrible.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:24 am UTC

gotta melt the chips first.

anyways, um. I'm gonna have to go with Burger King Quad Stacker. You'd think that adding 3 patties to a whopper would just make it more meaty, right? WRONG.
Somehow, those 3 patties add a distinct zoo smell and an overpowering zoo/vomit taste. Strike that, a zoo/vomit/crisco taste. Things drenched in fat (like all fried foods) are usually delicious. NOT SO with such a diabolical decoction of concoctions.. made solid. into a quad stack.l
uhhhh fuck.

iusername

Postby iusername » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:51 am UTC

some pizza slices i bought for 4 dollars and cheese tasted like polluted cheese with no cheesy taste at all
"Ahhh, good afternoon sir and how are we today?"
"Better..."
"Better?"
"Better get a bucket, i'm gonna throw up!"

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:18 am UTC

Food poisoning from under-cooked chicken.

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:34 am UTC

Does it have to be food? I have an 'intriguing' story involving me, the local state fair, and Citrus Cherry Mountain Dew.

As for food, I will never eat clam linguine again. It was a combination of brain and dishwater.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

One thing I like to cook is scalloped potatoes baked is a sort of oily sauce type of thing. Makes them nice and crispy.
Well one day I wanted to eat this dish, but had no potatoes. I did, however, have a can of pilsbury dinner rolls (The kind that come in a can and are basically dough). I figured hey, throw them in the oil-sauce type thing to cook, it will be a similar flavour, but with delicious crispy fried rolls. It was... not effective. Basically the rolls just soaked up all the oil and got all soggy without cooking in any noticeable fashion. It was terrible. I couldn't bring myself to swallow even one bite.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:57 am UTC

So you cooked something inedible, but then didn't eat it? Cheater! :lol:
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Gia

Postby Gia » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

Some unidentified jalapeno candy goo. It's not that I mind jalapenos or anything, but this stuff was awful.

Oh, and the worst pizza I've ever had was somewhere in Manhattan. Go figure.

lemurdoom

Postby lemurdoom » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:16 pm UTC

Dried banana chips. I didn't even EAT one! I held it up to my nose and sniffed it and almost instantly got a headache that lasted the rest of the day and seemed to be impervious to tylenol. Now whenever I see dried banana chips I literally can't look at them without wanting to barf.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:06 am UTC

I love dried banana chips...
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Fallen Angel

Postby Fallen Angel » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:38 am UTC

Chocolate flavoured chips.
I don't know why I was created... and not some other misfortunate soul.

TheWeirdDarkGirl23

Postby TheWeirdDarkGirl23 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:02 am UTC

meat, because i was trying to be a vegetarian.
"HELL IS LIKE SOMEONE PULLING YOUR SINS FROM THE DARK CORNERS OF YOUR SOUL AND SERVING IT TO YOU (ON A PLATTER) IN AN ENDLESS LOOP OF TORTURE.- "

Nowhere Guy

Postby Nowhere Guy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:51 am UTC

Some of the stuff I ate while I was in China was interesting. I enjoyed most of it, but I had this drink at a pondside restaurant in the Hutong district of Beijing. Its name was translated as "The Peru System Buddha jumps the wall" and it tasted decent, but the aftertaste was nauseating and it lasted all day. Also, for the rest of that day, I felt more awake than usual, but I felt like the ground was always moving under me.

And a word of advice. If you ever find a dish along the lines of "Fried Six Things Taste", avoid it at all costs. I literally shat bricks.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:47 pm UTC

Don't drink stuff in Chinese bars, especially in the touristy areas. You don't know what they're watering it with. Safer to pre-game or take a bottle of stuff you've mixed yourself around with you - not as fun, but less chance of ingesting formaldehyde.

The other thing about food poisoning in foreign countries is that it may not be a property of the food dish itself - your stomach might just be reacting to the local bacteria that you're not used to. I grew up going back to Taiwan every year or so, so I expect my system was host to enough Asian critters that when I went to Beijing in 2008 I was the only one out of the 60 other people in my group to not get one single instance of food poisoning.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Antiscias

Postby Antiscias » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:56 am UTC

I recall two:

1. Sea urchin

2. Red velvet cake mixed with enough alcohol to vomit. Admittedly, it tasted delicious, but in the state the firewater put me in, I thought I was vomiting blood afterward.

HJDahlman

Postby HJDahlman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:55 am UTC

Tomato sausages, for one. They looked like food, but I could see past their lies. The taste was just wrong.

The second was a thing of my own creation. For some reason I thought that the sauce you made for prawn cocktail could be improvised, so knowing that it's part mayonnaise, part ketchup, I found the two in my fridge, and just went for it, without any sense of measurement. Tipped a massive lot of prawns in without even tasting the stuff...and gagged. Whatever I had made was absolutely vile.
Unexpected item in the bagging area!

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:42 am UTC

HJDahlman wrote:Tomato sausages, for one. They looked like food, but I could see past their lies. The taste was just wrong.

The second was a thing of my own creation. For some reason I thought that the sauce you made for prawn cocktail could be improvised, so knowing that it's part mayonnaise, part ketchup, I found the two in my fridge, and just went for it, without any sense of measurement. Tipped a massive lot of prawns in without even tasting the stuff...and gagged. Whatever I had made was absolutely vile.

Interestingly enough, ketchup and mayonnaise mixed in about equal proportions are basically a crude form of Russian dressing.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:01 am UTC

The moment you realize that you've eaten chicken tenders and fries for three meals in a row is the moment you ask that unanswerable question, "Why DID I eat that?"
it was also, wednesday.
urgh.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:15 am UTC

KallistiEngel wrote:
HJDahlman wrote:Tomato sausages, for one. They looked like food, but I could see past their lies. The taste was just wrong.

Interestingly enough, ketchup and mayonnaise mixed in about equal proportions are basically a crude form of Russian dressing.

That combination also serves as a common condiment found in several republican-leaning American states.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:30 am UTC

Didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine had a milkshake in India that put him in hospital for a week.

He still swears it was the tastiest milkshake he's ever had.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Ingolifs

Postby Ingolifs » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

A mixture of coca cola and soy sauce. Possibly the most bizarre thing i've ever tasted.
I belong to the tautologist's school of thought, that science is by definition, science.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:Didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine had a milkshake in India that put him in hospital for a week.

You simply must explain this further :D
Ⓞⓞ◯

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:16 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:
Pez Dispens3r wrote:Didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine had a milkshake in India that put him in hospital for a week.

You simply must explain this further :D

Heh, that's pretty much the beginning and the end of the story. I went to a Catholic school, and we'd raise money over two years to give to orphanages in India. And every two years, a dozen or so students would go around India volunteering and what-have-you, giving out the money. They'd also drink beers and shit, even though the legal drinking age there is 25, but you know.

Anyway, I don't know where, but my friend got a milkshake which we can assume came from unpasteurized milk. My guess is that alone made it tasty. But then he got sick enough one of the teachers took him to a hospital, and it was a week before they'd let him out. So I think it was a little more extreme than the stomachache/diarrhea every Westerner gets when they visit India. The rest of the group went ahead and he and one of the teachers just caught up later.

But he's the sort of asshole who would sit there telling you the story, and go, "Ah, but it was the best milkshake ever. I want another one so bad." And then start laughing.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:20 pm UTC

And the follow up was modestly interesting.
Story success! :)
Ⓞⓞ◯

scouse geek

Postby scouse geek » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

I have had some self inflicted beer inspired cookery mistakes along the lines of spaghetti an custard, pound land cake mix with pepsi because we couldn't figure out the tap (absinthe was involved at all stages) and the horrific indecent involving what ever we found in the cupboard of a student house oiled in the same pan served on a few deli wraps with a side order of 10p a bag micro rice from the market an spray cheese that earned me a total of 4 days off work and a visit from the GP.

But two that stand out in my mind that I didn't cause are:

1) My dad got diagnosed as being a type 2 diabetic back in august of last year and to try an help him the whole family swapped over to splenda as a sweetener, both me and my dad love rice pudding so my mum made us some using splenda in place of sugar. It was some of the best tasting rice pudding I have ever had I even went back for a second bowl half way through the second bowl I vomited totally at random then ran upstairs and prayed to the god of the toilet for a few hours.

2) I had a meal at a polish girlfriends house, nothing romantic just "hey chris want come round for dinner on Tuesday" and having up to that point really liked what polish food I have tried I gladly accepted, they served Carp with some form of pickle an bread but what i didn't know is that one of her friends caught this carp in a local river that is known for not being all that clean I and every one else where in bed for a few days with cold sweats and other symptoms i am too polite to mention, since then he has never been allowed to put anything on the table.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:40 pm UTC

I am going to bend the rules a bit and put a family member's experience here.
A long time ago, my older brother Scott spend most of his time down in a basement room we had in our old house. One day, in the wee hours of the morning, he decided he wanted to cook up a frozen pizza. Now, we had a freezer in the basement, but not an oven.
In a brilliant stroke of 2AM thinking, my brother decided to cook the pizza over the space heater.

It didn't work.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Return to “Food”