Worst Food Decisions, or WHY DID I EAT THAT URGRGRBLEH

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

podbaydoor

Re: Worst Food Decisions, or WHY DID I EAT THAT URGRGRBLEH

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:55 pm UTC

My high school physics teacher told us a story once: his college roommate was once invited by several girls to go toast marshmallows over a campfire. The fire turned out to be a Duraflame log. In the words of my teacher, "He had it coming out both ends for a couple of days."
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

Two stories:

I went to an Indian Curry restaurant in Singapore when I was 16. I ordered medium, like a retard, instead of mild. The food was GREAT, tasted great - everything. Now they had these little cracker wafers and you could order a glass of lime juice for like $2. The lime juice did NOTHING to ease the pain. The cracker wafer, which i ate pretty quickly, was the only thing that helped. So when I started eating, I was eating fast. And then the burning kicked in, but I didn't stop eating right away. Three days later and a few bottles of Tums, I was able to get up and move again.

I live in Texas, and we have these lovely wafer/marshmellow things called moon pies. They have a tendancy to expand in your stomach like a cork, and that's just when you eat one. But I thought I'd be brave and try to eat TWO in the span of less than 30 minutes AND drink an RC Cola at the same time. Just dumb. I thought I was gonna die.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:06 am UTC

Most of my worst food decisions in the past year or so have to do with my lactose maldigesting tendencies. I'm not lactose intolerant, but if I have too much of it...not-so-funtimes in the bathroom for me. Here is how I tested my theory that it was lactose problems and not just stress that was causing all the diarrhea: I had three servings of Cold Stone ice cream in the space of an hour. Yeah, that pretty much put a quick end to the evening.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:45 am UTC

Uuurgh. I ate almost an entire box of Dunkin' Donuts munchkins. In one day. I say "almost" because my roommate had a couple, too.
This space intentionally left blank.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:37 am UTC

Just earlier today I ate a 2 week old pizza from Pizza hut.

My stomach refuses to speak to me.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:01 pm UTC

Geez, normally when that happens your stomach refuses to shut up!

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:46 pm UTC

I once ate a delivered pizza from Dominos or Pappa Johns (I forget) at 3 am. I had to wake up at 5:30 am the same day. It wasn't digested all the way and it was the most awful feeling ever.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

That reminds me, a few days ago I ate the dodgiest sandwich ever. In my defense, I cut the moldy parts off the meat and threw away the browned parts of the lettuce. Hey, I was hungry and the only thing in the fridge that didn't require cooking was the sandwich materials.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:55 am UTC

I'll quite happily eat chilli, but my digestive system doesn't like me for it. So, the chilli salami and chilli jerky I ate recently were fine on my palate, but not so much on my intestines. Spoil'd for TMI:
Spoiler:
It hastened along my movements and when they came, it was a bit of a ring burner.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

El Spark

Postby El Spark » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

A marshmallow Peep that had been sitting in whiskey for an hour. Hands down the worst thing I've ever eaten.

Perhaps a bit of background:

I'm part of an online community that enjoys getting together in RL once a year. The person who runs it refers to it as Peepfest (since it's for his peeps), and the candy marshmallow Peeps feature heavily as prizes and decorations. I guess people eat them, too, but they don't have any taste at all so I tend to avoid them.

In 2009, we kicked off the party by pouring two fingers of various kinds of flavored vodka and straight whiskey into a variety of cups, and then allowing Peeps to soak in the alcohol for a half hour. Well, the Peeps swell, and they donated their coloring to their respective alcohols (green, vaguely sweet whiskey, THAT was a hell of a chaser), and lemme tell ya...whiskey Peeps are not going to be flying off the shelves.

I felt vaguely sick the rest of the night, so I drank to forget.
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:I live in Texas, and we have these lovely wafer/marshmellow things called moon pies. They have a tendancy to expand in your stomach like a cork, and that's just when you eat one. But I thought I'd be brave and try to eat TWO in the span of less than 30 minutes AND drink an RC Cola at the same time. Just dumb. I thought I was gonna die.

Even I know better than that.

(minus the cola, add two bottles of ice tea for me)
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:45 am UTC

Vohu Manah wrote:
KallistiEngel wrote:
HJDahlman wrote:Tomato sausages, for one. They looked like food, but I could see past their lies. The taste was just wrong.

The second was a thing of my own creation. For some reason I thought that the sauce you made for prawn cocktail could be improvised, so knowing that it's part mayonnaise, part ketchup, I found the two in my fridge, and just went for it, without any sense of measurement. Tipped a massive lot of prawns in without even tasting the stuff...and gagged. Whatever I had made was absolutely vile.

Interestingly enough, ketchup and mayonnaise mixed in about equal proportions are basically a crude form of Russian dressing.

That combination also serves as a common condiment found in several republican-leaning American states.

It's really good. On fries, in a 50/50 combination. But I like more mayo.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:00 am UTC

When I was a kid, we had a nanny who could have given Baldrick a run for his money. We have an old family casserole recipe - sliced chicken or turkey and broccoli in a sauce made of cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, curry powder, and a spritz of lemon juice over egg noodles, then topped with breadcrumbs and baked. This nanny didn't have all of the ingredients on hand, so she made substitutions.

Instead of chicken or turkey, she used overcooked lamb that was just about to turn. Instead of cream of chicken soup, she used cream of celery. Instead of broccoli, she used boiled seaweed. Instead of curry powder, she used black pepper. Instead of a spritz of lemon juice, she used about half a cup. And she burned it. It was so bad that I remember the sickly odor to this day. We each took one bite and gagged... and the dogs outright refused to eat it. I also haven't eaten seaweed since, no matter how good nori is supposed to be.

My sister once ate an entire bag of Robin's Eggs Malted Milk Balls. She still can't bear any kind of malt.

I once ate a handful of Warhead candies and squeezed a fresh lemon into my mouth on top of it. I thought it tasted good, until I realized that I had burned a hole in the surface of my tongue and that my mouth was bleeding profusely. I still think it tasted good until the delicious sourness was eclipsed by the metallic blood taste.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon May 03, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

Natto paste or red bean paste of some kind, when I was visiting Japan for a couple of weeks after HS.

I was offered it with my breakfast by my host family one morning. I accepted, willing to try just about anything, and regretted instantly. Not to be rude, I gave a half-hearted approving nod. This was a bad idea. After I was done, I told myself this would be avoided for the rest of the trip. However, about 3 days later, we were out exploring, and they bought some type of snack from a store. They handed me what looked like an innocent biscuit. I bite in, and my mouth is filled with this disgusting taste. I groan on the inside, but force it down. Noted, I can't trust biscuits anymore for the duration of my day. A couple days later, I go to school and open my lunch. Grab my rice ball, bite in... and they had put some of it in there too. How many places do they hide this crap and why do I keep coming across it?! My teacher explained later that it was apparently uncommon for non-Japanese to enjoy the taste, so my apparent liking of it was 'surprising', which is why they kept giving it to me.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Fri May 07, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Red bean paste is a sweet, kind of gummy paste. Natto are fermented beans. I can handle red bean paste in moderation, but natto is beyond me.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

oracle989

Postby oracle989 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:41 pm UTC

I like spicy foods, and generally have no troubles with them digestively. However, I added a sauce at one establishment rather liberally one day. Eating it, I found it a bit spicier than I would have liked, but still quite delicious. Later, when this food was being evacuated after processing, the spice was...undiminished. I sat there on the throne for an hour, tears in my eyes and giving everything I had not to cry out in agony.
Ulc wrote:Evolutionary psychology makes sense yes. But you're not just making a mockery of it here, we're talking full scale orgy abuse while it cries.

I reserve the right to quote you both out of context and incorrectly.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Tue May 11, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:Red bean paste is a sweet, kind of gummy paste. Natto are fermented beans. I can handle red bean paste in moderation, but natto is beyond me.

He may also be talking about miso paste. That's what it sounds like to me.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Tue May 11, 2010 5:22 pm UTC

Miso is an ingredient, not a filling.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Tue May 11, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

You know..it would have helped if I spent 30 more seconds to read it properly. :)

You're right..now that I read it more carefully it sounds like it was red bean paste. I don't particularly enjoy it either.

Bhelliom

Postby Bhelliom » Tue May 11, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

I love food of all kinds. My first time at a local Vietnamese restaurant I ordered a nice big bowl of Pho. It was amazing, until halfway through a round slice of pepper bobbed up to the surface. It looked like a jalapeno, and jalapenos are not a problem for me.

Needless to say, it was not a jalapeno. The pain was quite amazing, and after I got the tears to stop I discovered I was unable to taste the Pho anymore. Or anything else for the rest of the day.

I still wonder what kind of pepper it was.
"Eloquently Blunt"

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed May 12, 2010 12:09 am UTC

Pretty sure the Vietnamese places around here use jalapenos. They seem a bit more potent than the ones I get at the local Safeway, but they're still jalapenos.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri May 21, 2010 2:03 pm UTC

I learned after eating Indian curry that when something starts burning, it's usually a good time to pause and wait for it to stop. That makes it especially difficult to eat Thai food because it TASTES SO GOOD but it BURNS AGH AGH. I want to keep eating but I know if I don't let it settle, I'll pay for it big time. Although one of my friends I went to eat it with was the total opposite and his face was turning purple. It was fun to watch.

quickly

Postby quickly » Mon May 24, 2010 6:41 am UTC

I've eaten incredibly spicy food my whole life. Until last year, I always remember having spicy curries, noodle dishes, or whatever, at least every week. Near my university, there is this incredibly cheap Thai restaurant. The only one, it seems ,that would just continually make my food spicier and spicier each time I went, until friends couldn't even take bites, or they'd erupt into flames. Over the summer, though, I stopped eating spicy food (my taste returned; how odd). I went back and they resumed course. I think my entire insides were smoking for days. Luckily I saved my spicy-food eating powers and dump red chili peppers onto everything once more.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Mon May 24, 2010 8:44 am UTC

I made a lot of mistakes in my time.. these are just a few memorable ones:

A trey and a half of pizza. That's right. 12 slices. And it wasn't even particularly good. MASSIVE cloggage for about a week :)

Somewhere around 20 extremely spicy chili-dogs, when I was like 15 y/o. They were so yum!!. My D&D group, erm, 'enjoyed' all of them spontaneously coming back up for air a couple of hours later.

A large slab of unidentified meat, probably from somewhere near the hoof, fished from the bottom of a huuuuuge cooking pot big enough to cook a fully grown human male. Army food... this is just one example of something I ate at a military kitchen that made me wish for a quick death.

While every single thing I ate in India made me run for my life the minute I woke up the next day (delicious food, though), they have a snack there called 'kurkure' - they really love it and it's sold everywhere - that gave me a ride for my money. I bought a bag once when the bus I was in stopped for gas. Usually, in India, when anything stops, it takes a considerable amount of time to start going again, and as I was the only english speaking person around, boredom made me seek adventure in a truck stop. The snack had absolutely no taste other than what can be described as 'toxic chemicals'. It wasn't salty, sweet, sour, or bitter, not the slightest bit. It was very hot, the way the rancid powder they have on pringles is hot, only a lot hotter. I threw the bag away after a few bites, and literally had to sit on a protruding object for the rest of the ride (couple of hours) to prevent myself from sharing the joy. No amount of pointing and waving could get the driver to pull over.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

JonR

Postby JonR » Thu May 27, 2010 12:34 pm UTC

at uni I used to cook up large pots of food, eat a portion and then freeze the rest.

I decided to make a chilli con carne, knew the recipe well, but decided to add more garlic than usual. I used a new method preparing the garlic, squashed it flat with side of blade, sprinkled salt over it, and then mushed it to a pulp with the flat side of blade. worked well, added it to the chilli - seasoned the whole thing with salt and pepper as usual, and then tasted.

it was horribly salty - far too salty, so I thought, 'how do I get rid of the salty taste?' - I know, I'll add lemon juice, that works - in goes a large dose of lemon juice, taste again, slightly better - need more lemon - so I added half a jar of lemon curd, thinking that it'd be more effective than the juice.
it wasn't - the whole thing now tasted foul - I ate about half a portion with rice, because I was hungry, but had to throw out the rest of it. bleurgh!

too garlicy, too salty, and too lemony.
"I thought you had Kings!" - boy did I laugh.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri May 28, 2010 5:43 pm UTC

voidPtr wrote:You know..it would have helped if I spent 30 more seconds to read it properly. :)

You're right..now that I read it more carefully it sounds like it was red bean paste. I don't particularly enjoy it either.

It must have been natto. Because the red bean paste I know is a sweet dessert filling, usually in pastries, on bread, or shaved ice. Love the stuff.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sat May 29, 2010 9:56 pm UTC

This was about nine years ago, and I had an inexplicable urge to gnaw on the days-old Rotisserie chicken bones. (I guess I just like chewing things...) As expected, I got salmonella. And the day after that I had a solo performance with a professional orchestra (which miraculously went well despite my not really eating anything for about 24 hours...)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon May 31, 2010 1:43 pm UTC

Some years back when I was still working at a grocery store, I got off close to midnight after working an early shift. I was exhausted and for some reason chugged three cans of coke. I hadn't really eaten all day. I went to bed, which the head of the bed was against one wall and the foot was towards the door, and about 30 minutes later I had enough time to sit up. There was some nice vomit on my wall, door, bed, and floor. So instead of sleeping, I was washing my sheets and trying to clean everything up. That was fun, considering I had to be back to work at 5 AM.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Odd_nonposter

Postby Odd_nonposter » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:26 am UTC

Not me so much, but my brother and my friends have had some pretty amazing food binges.

My brother went out to this place in Columbus called "The Thermin Cafe." Burgers are their specialty... especially the "Therminator." Five-pound beef patties, a slab of ham, a whole head of lettuce, plus the works for vegetables, with 1lb of fries on the side. I bet that 75% of people can't finish one. In his group, there was a guy nicknamed "Tiny." The guy was 400lbs+. Finished his and helped the guy next to him with half of it.

One of my friends has a brother that used to wrestle. He came home one night and bought 50 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers from the local Wendy's. He was in some considerable pain the next day.
His brother's roommate, though, takes the cake. And the ice cream. Five gallons of it at once.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:35 am UTC

fifty? FIFTY? I can believe five or ten. But fifty... we're talking cubic feet of jr. bacon cheeseburgers. and fifty bucks worth of square burgers. I cannot believe. That's probably fifteen thousand calories.

let me tell you children something: chocolate + mint = delicious. chocolate + peanut butter = delicious. mint + peanut butter = BLURGHH
uhhhh fuck.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

Odd_nonposter wrote:Not me so much, but my brother and my friends have had some pretty amazing food binges.

My brother went out to this place in Columbus called "The Thermin Cafe." Burgers are their specialty... especially the "Therminator." Five-pound beef patties, a slab of ham, a whole head of lettuce, plus the works for vegetables, with 1lb of fries on the side. I bet that 75% of people can't finish one. In his group, there was a guy nicknamed "Tiny." The guy was 400lbs+. Finished his and helped the guy next to him with half of it.

One of my friends has a brother that used to wrestle. He came home one night and bought 50 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers from the local Wendy's. He was in some considerable pain the next day.
His brother's roommate, though, takes the cake. And the ice cream. Five gallons of it at once.

All that grease on one plate sounds utterly disgusting to me. I can't even eat a "normal" fastfood meal without feeling like a bloated glutton. And yet, strangely, I'd still be hungry afterwards.

Odd_nonposter

Postby Odd_nonposter » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:07 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:fifty? FIFTY? I can believe five or ten. But fifty... we're talking cubic feet of jr. bacon cheeseburgers. and fifty bucks worth of square burgers. I cannot believe. That's probably fifteen thousand calories.

I can't remember whether it was spread over 2 sittings or not. But yeah, 15Mcal is about right.

Wrestlers do terrible things to their stomachs. Nearly starving for weeks at a time to wrestle in the next lowest weight class, then binging to near death at the end of the season is not unheard of.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

As a wrestler myself, I can vouch for having walked into McDonalds after a show and ordering everything that they had ready prepared.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:37 am UTC

Didn't actually eat or drink anything nasty, but I once was offered and observed people using expired baby formula in their coffee instead of cream or milk. Eughhhshghgh.

tentacleTherapist

Postby tentacleTherapist » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

I think about two years ago around wintertime my grandma made this really potent ginger wine. It isn't alcoholic but me being a ginger beer enthusiast I just had to try some. At first I could hardly drink it because it was so strong my tongue seemed to recoil if I so much as sipped it, but eventually I got used to the taste and was able to enjoy it - I think I had about four or five glasses total, and there was also plenty of chocolate lying around which really didn't help.
The result was that at night I felt as if the lining of my stomach was burning off and I could feel the acid sloshing around if I so much as twitched. The only way I could get to sleep was to lie very, very, VERY still and try to read.
Tumblr-ma-doodle
Spoiler:
You will see my shadow
On every wall

ThinkSweet

Postby ThinkSweet » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:05 am UTC

Laplap - a national dish in Vanuatu, made I think from banana & coconut milk & some other random stuff. Anyway, there seem to be some different kinds floating around, because one I tried was kind of yellowy and sweet & I quite liked it although it was incredibly stodge. But there was this other darker kind that tasted mainly like tuna (maybe they put tinned meat in) & was just horrendous. Me being a vegetarian didn't help, but it was a thankyou meal from the local people, so I choked it down. Then again, the kids in that village mostly refused to eat it too, so I didn't feel that bad :P

Another thing we got from a chinese supermarket in Vanuatu - these little dried fruit things (prune maybe?) covered in this powder that was bright red. We asked what they were & were told 'sour lollies'. They weren't sour. They were the most disgusting theings to ever be in any of our mouths & out of 6 people only 2 swallowed & only 1 said it was ok. It was kind of like bleach on the side of my tongue, not sour or bitter, but like burning chalk! They were nicknamed 'satan's toenails' for the rest of the trip due to the taste & appearance - long pointy & bright red.
</rant>

El Spark

Postby El Spark » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:23 pm UTC

This one didn't happen to me. As with many of my best stories, it happened to my brother.

He insists that he's what's called a "super-taster," that is, someone whose taste sense is highly refined. In practical terms, it means that he can barely walk by a bell pepper, much less eat something at all spicy. So, one day, he was at Walmart looking for a snack, and he bought something called "Carribbean Jerked Chicken."

He told me later that it tasted like hate, but at the time he was preoccupied by the abundance of fiery spices that permeated every bit of the chicken and, by extension, his mouth. In those situations, he says that the only thing that helps is to eat lots of bread. Unfortunately, he was at work at the time, and they had no bread in the staff breakroom. All he could find were some stale cookies, and he immediately started scrubbing at his tongue with the cookies.

At that point, a co-worker walked in, and they both froze. My brother considered his options and then just went back to scrubbing. The co-worker, as they say, left the scene. My brother never lived it down, and got many cookies as gifts over the next few months before he found another job. Overall, a win.
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:18 pm UTC

Jerk chicken can be actually pretty good. Great, in fact. It need not be ludicrously hot, either, it's often served with hot sauce atop a bed of rice and peas.

http://www.thenottinghillcarnival.com/food.html

El Spark

Postby El Spark » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:51 pm UTC

True, but this was premade, vaccuum-sealed, Walmart jerk chicken. Your mileage may vary.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

Yeah I didn't want to generalise and say it was likely to be crap... but it probably was.

Return to “Food”