Time to get confrontational about peanut butter

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

madaloon

Re: Time to get confrontational about peanut butter

Postby madaloon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

I don't know what they do to it. I flip the switch on the machine, it gets loud, the peanuts in the hopper jiggle a little, and peanut butter comes out the spout.
“Did I leave the gas on? No! I’m – no – I’m a fucking squirrel!”

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:37 pm UTC

creamy is where it's at, and all you crunchy peanut butter lovers can rot in hell!
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:04 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:also, i think it takes longer than 10 minute to bake bread? bakemaster? its been a while. remind me ><

Even without rising and kneading, yes.

Re: Ukrops, I've only ever seen them in Richmond. Also, Hechts. But you don't buy jelly at Hechts.

Re: Jelly and spoiling, the less natural your jelly is, the longer it will last on your sandwich. Welch's grape jelly could probably outlive us all, if it didn't turn into liquid at room temperature. Jam/preserves will be faster to spoil, but should still be fine sitting out overnight. I've had sandwiches with me to work during the summer in hot backpacks getting squished and not had time to eat them until that night, and they never so much as gave me gas. That I'm aware.

Re: Belial's processed PB preference, I really get the strong feeling that people are giving him shit for no other reason than that they are dirty hippie tree huggers who would pay $39+tip to eat dirt at a restaurant if it said "organic" and "natural" enough on the menu. Of all the processed foods out there, Skippy and JIF are closer to their "natural" counterparts than just about anything. I know this thread is about confrontation, but please let's be honest with our arguments—Belial simply is a philistine in this regard. He also doesn't like peaches. Now we all shake our heads sadly and walk out the door, leaving him to his smooth vice.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

The Cosmic Fool

Postby The Cosmic Fool » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:20 am UTC

Peanut butter is serious business.

I like both.
"The future is dark, the present burdensome. Only the past, dead and buried, bears contemplation."

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:27 pm UTC

There's a lot of back-and-forth, but I actually have something new, and at the same time historical, to add.
Belial wrote:
If one thinks it is awful, one probably also gets too much refined sugar in their diet...
Or, conversely, they're just able to perceive texture, and don't like eating sand.
Belial wrote:True, but that's no reason to step back down from perfection to imperfect grinding procedures and unstable oils.... Give me my shelf-stable, immortal peanut butter any day of the week.
As it so happens, I once met the fellow who was the lead food scientist at Corn Products for the Smooth PB project. Smooth PB, in this case Skippy brand, did not always exist. This fellow told me he refused to eat Skippy Super-Chunk, because he remembered how hard it was to create a formula for a perfectly smooth, non-sandy, spreadable and stable peanut butter, and to befoul his work with peanut chunks was unforgivable.

For those that don't know, commercially prepared chunky PB is made by adding crushed peanuts back into smooth PB.

In any case, it's unlikely that a so-called "natural" PB will ever be as smooth as the popular smooth PBs, or even the non-chunky part of the popular chunky PBs.

PatrickRsGhost wrote:
Jif.com wrote:Both natural and regular peanut butters may contain some sugar and salt for flavoring.
Note the waffle word may. With due respect to PatrickRsGhost, I wouldn't rely on Jif.com for the trvth about so-called natural vs. commercial PB. The PB I eat most often is of the "peanuts, salt" variety. I've been experimenting with making my own.

I do love the taste of commercial PB. I'm trying to limit high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated fats in my diet, which is the reason I switched to a "natural" style PB. They are different. The "natural" style tastes more like peanuts; the commercial stuff is addictive and seductive and all that. We like the PB we're using now, but it's just too different from Skippy or Jif to really compare.
Last edited by Aviatrix on Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:06 pm UTC

With due respect, Aviatrix, I do not think that is my post you quoted. I don't care what Jiff says about peanut butter since I don't buy that brand.

The stuff I get has no sugar added.

(edited a brazilian times due to hangover-head)
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:47 pm UTC

A billion apologies, BB. You're sharper than I even with a hangover. Fixed.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:03 pm UTC

S'okay. And welcome to the (natural peanut butter) revolution. :)
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

madaloon

Postby madaloon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Re: Belial's processed PB preference, I really get the strong feeling that people are giving him shit for no other reason than that they are dirty hippie tree huggers who would pay $39+tip to eat dirt at a restaurant if it said "organic" and "natural" enough on the menu. Of all the processed foods out there, Skippy and JIF are closer to their "natural" counterparts than just about anything. I know this thread is about confrontation, but please let's be honest with our arguments—Belial simply is a philistine in this regard. He also doesn't like peaches. Now we all shake our heads sadly and walk out the door, leaving him to his smooth vice.

It was nothing persona, nor is it a crazy hippie ideal. My clothing was probably made in a sweatshop and my cosmetics were probably tested on animals. My questioning of Belial was rooted in shock and teasing. Everyone I know who has had the fresh ground stuff has placed it at the top of their peanut butter preference list. That, and I don't know anyone who doesn't shop at Whole Foods/Wild Oats/coop markets. I realize that some of the products available at these stores are not organic, but their peanut butter is damn good.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:09 pm UTC

That, and I don't know anyone who doesn't shop at Whole Foods/Wild Oats/coop markets.

You live in some sort of hippy mecca, then, and I envy you. Most cities around here don't even have a whole foods, and even in charlottesville, where there was one, it wasn't the go-to place for the entire population
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:12 pm UTC

I was part of the creamy brigade before I tried Crunchy.

It changed my life.

madaloon

Postby madaloon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:18 pm UTC

A hippie mecca called Boulder. There are many Wild Oats, one Whole Foods, and far too many coop markets to count.
Sometimes Boulder's citizens make me feel bad for eating meat buying bleached paper towels from Safeway.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:20 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
That, and I don't know anyone who doesn't shop at Whole Foods/Wild Oats/coop markets.

You live in some sort of hippy mecca, then, and I envy you. Most cities around here don't even have a whole foods, and even in charlottesville, where there was one, it wasn't the go-to place for the entire population

Where do you live, Belial? I'm in Greenville, SC, and as soon as we got a WF, everybody shopped there at least part-time. Before that , they'd go to Fresh Market, and we have Earth Fare here (I like the smaller stores better than WF, personally).

And we're giving him shit because this isn't the "Get warm, fuzzy, and unified despite our differences regarding peanut butter" thread.

mrorange
Something from Reservoir Dogs, perhaps?

Postby mrorange » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:19 am UTC

so... i am now an incredibly corruput human being for spending an unknown amount of time reading a ten page thread about peanut butter... when i could have been curing cancer or at least doing my history homework.

my contribution to the debate
Ive never really thought about it before but i guess im a crunchy person, unless all we have is weak bread in which case it cannot handle the power of crunchy. also pro naturaly peanutbutter. im sorry that belial has no comprehension of the difference between good PB and sand/ass. straight from the grinder peanut butter is the best, if you get some crackers at the store too you can eat it in the car while its still warm from being ground. mmmmmm. alternately creamy but with chunks in it is good as well. grinder pb is a more uniform but coarse texture. all good.
Truth be told/If I can be so bold/Your sig did inspire/What here did transpire/So that you would me admire/cause me to aspire/to greater heights/of lyrical plights.
-ThorFluff
BomanTheBear wrote: but then i started playing rugby and breakdancing.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:22 am UTC

Someone with allergies to peanuts would puff up from just reading this thread.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:06 am UTC

madaloon wrote:A hippie mecca called Boulder.

My parents were married on a mountain in or around Boulder. /tangent
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

borvise

Postby borvise » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:58 am UTC

I believe the correct answer is chunky.
(Unless, however, the creamy is the aforementioned ground-in-front-of-your-face creamy honey-peanut butter. [insert applicable deity] invented that stuff)
Irony and Coincidence are my food.

jareturns

Postby jareturns » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

Creamy. Nuff said.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

jareturns wrote:Creamy. Nuff said.

If that were "nuff", then we would have ended this debate on page one. :wink:

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:59 pm UTC

borvise wrote:I believe the correct answer is chunky.
(Unless, however, the creamy is the aforementioned ground-in-front-of-your-face creamy honey-peanut butter. [insert applicable devil] invented that stuff, as with all other PB.)

fix'd.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

jareturns

Postby jareturns » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:32 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:
jareturns wrote:Creamy. Nuff said.

If that were "nuff", then we would have ended this debate on page one. :wink:

*shrugs*, well I don't know what else to add. Arguing that creamy peanut is the best, is like arguing that the sky is blue. It just is. ;)

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:37 pm UTC

Even at sunset, or when a hugemotherfuckingmeteorTM is falling through the atmosphere? There's always a counterargument, no matter how weak it is.

But will noone else try to supply arguments against this damned PB stuff?
Spoiler:

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:44 pm UTC

No, because peanut butter is amazing!
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:46 pm UTC

*leaves in a huff*
Spoiler:

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:56 pm UTC

Sorry, but it's true.

I'm not sure why I like peanut butter so much but cannot stand peanuts, though...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

madaloon

Postby madaloon » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:23 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
madaloon wrote:A hippie mecca called Boulder.

My parents were married on a mountain in or around Boulder. /tangent

Cute! Chatauqua? Everyone and their mother has gotten married there.

borvise wrote:I believe the correct answer is chunky.
(Unless, however, the creamy is the aforementioned ground-in-front-of-your-face creamy honey-peanut butter. [insert applicable deity] invented that stuff)

My new favorite person is borvise. The honey peanut butter is the most delicious creation ever.

Cheese wrote:Even at sunset, or when a hugemotherfuckingmeteorTM is falling through the atmosphere? There's always a counterargument, no matter how weak it is.

Get confrontational about peanut butter alternatives while keeping in mind that peanut butter is the central issue. See what happens.

jareturns

Postby jareturns » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:Even at sunset, or when a hugemotherfuckingmeteorTM is falling through the atmosphere? There's always a counterargument, no matter how weak it is.

Touché...

however, the sky will always be blue somewhere in the world. A meteor may come down and hit England - for the sake of the argument, let us assume you live in England - but it will still be blue in Australia. :wink:

Ess

Postby Ess » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:21 am UTC

Crunchy wins overall, but creamy does have advantages, e.g. not mangling my bread when I spread it and not having hard stuff that gets all up in the space where a tooth at one time was. (I've had two teeth pulled and have had my wisdom teeth extracted. While getting food in the sockets is annoying, I still think not opting for the root canals is the best decision I've made [I had no choice on the wisdom teeth, which I probably would have kept if I had a choice. They were all impacted and one started to come up anyway and got the surrounding tissue infected])

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:00 pm UTC

jareturns wrote:Touché...

however, the sky will always be blue somewhere in the world. A meteor may come down and hit England - for the sake of the argument, let us assume you live in England - but it will still be blue in Australia. :wink:
I'm going to be a bit of an arse and say that I live in Scotland, but as you picked England at random as a country, instead of a generalisation for the UK, you're safe and I don't hate you. But you killed my argument, so I'm not going to be friendly or anything.
Spoiler:

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:16 pm UTC

I get my peanut butter imported by my ex-pat uncle in Sevare, Mali. Hand-ground by Bobo tribeswomen. I have to stir it with a (clean) screwdriver before it's usable.

No, I'm not joking.
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

mrorange

Postby mrorange » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:09 am UTC

d33p wrote:I get my peanut butter imported by my ex-pat uncle in Sevare, Mali. Hand-ground by Bobo tribeswomen. I have to stir it with a (clean) screwdriver before it's usable.

No, I'm not joking.

because the butter knives snapped off at the handle. even your peanut butter is badass.

im also assuming that it tastes delicious for it to be worth all the effort?
Truth be told/If I can be so bold/Your sig did inspire/What here did transpire/So that you would me admire/cause me to aspire/to greater heights/of lyrical plights.
-ThorFluff

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:44 pm UTC

Oh yes, it is THE most delicious peanut butter ever. Beats Smuckers Natural, which I'll use in a pinch. But now that Jiff crap is like comparing margarine to butter. "I Can't Believe It's Not Peanut Butter!"
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

mrorange

Postby mrorange » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:52 pm UTC

truth. one more supporter for the RIGHT peanut-butter. the tide is rising, the skins of the fallen stretched tight upon the drums of war. the ultimate peanut-butter conflict is upon us...

this summer, at a theatre near you... (for shame :( )
-ThorFluff

Lord Bob

Postby Lord Bob » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:46 am UTC

Aleril wrote:I was part of the creamy brigade before I tried Crunchy.

It changed my life.

It's all been downhill from there?
Damn, I thought it was only surrounded by 14 mines...

Return to “Food”