Farmers Cheese!

Postby FriedSushi87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:51 am UTC

I'm thinking of making some cheese!

Ingredients

1 gallon whole milk
1 pinch salt
1 large lemon, juiced
Directions

Pour the milk into a large pot, and stir in a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally to prevent the milk from scorching on the bottom of the pot.
When the milk begins to boil (small bubbles will first appear at the edges), turn off the heat. Stir lemon juice into the milk, and the milk will curdle. You may need to wait 5 or 10 minutes.
Line a sieve or colander with a cheesecloth, and pour the milk through the cloth to catch the curds. What is left in the cheesecloth is the Farmer's Cheese. The liquid is the whey. Some people keep the whey and drink it, but I throw it away. Gather the cloth around the cheese, and squeeze out as much of the whey as you can. Wrap in plastic, or place in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator.

I want to make a Blintz. Crepes with strawberry, farmers cheese, and powdered sugar!

Has anyone here ever made their own cheese before?

I was surprised to find out that it can be done with only 1 gallon of milk and a lemon! I've seen some other recipes that use buttermilk, but I'm not sure if it's necessary....

Nath

Re: Farmers Cheese!

Postby Nath » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:38 am UTC

I've made paneer, which is basically the same thing. It's as easy as it sounds; give it a try.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

I've made my own butter, but not cheese. I don't really like young cheese that much and I don't have the kind of patience to age cheese for two years.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

FriedSushi87

Postby FriedSushi87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:44 pm UTC

Holy Crap!

Or Mozzarella!

http://bit.ly/8p9HfE

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:01 pm UTC

Nath wrote:I've made paneer, which is basically the same thing. It's as easy as it sounds; give it a try.

What he said. It's easy to make; maybe not as easy to make it nicely firm.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:11 pm UTC

We've been making farmer's cheese, chevre, squeaky cheese and mozzarella for about a month now. Also yogurt. SUPERNOM!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:09 am UTC

I have acquired a quart of raw milk from a neighbor. Illegal to give and to receive! But I am braving the feds to make cheese. It is a higher calling. I will report on the results tomorrow. After refrigeration.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

So, very interesting results from this round of paneer-making. I finally got the firmness that I wanted, after refrigerating the cheese for 24 hours. But my paneer had more of a typically cheesy texture, right away when the curds separated. I suspect this has to do with the temperature at which I curdled the milk, as I didn't let it come all the way to a boil. When I went to fry the paneer for my saag, it was a little sticky and just a little melty. Still delicious, and this is probably my best saag paneer from scratch so far, but next time I'm going to wait until it's definitely boiling to add the acid. I don't think the fact that I was using raw milk was really involved in the texture issue.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:39 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I have acquired a quart of raw milk from a neighbor. Illegal to give and to receive! But I am braving the feds to make cheese. It is a higher calling. I will report on the results tomorrow. After refrigeration.

"Dammet it's the cheese police!"
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Return to “Food”