Undercooked pasta but already dished up?

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Phoenix112358

Undercooked pasta but already dished up?

Postby Phoenix112358 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:28 am UTC

Hey all,

I was trying my hand at making a orzo-basil-pesto salad just now. I thought I had cooked the orzo properly (texture was fine when I taste tested), but when I mixed it in with the basil and pesto I've found that the majority are still a bit un(der)cooked! Since all the ingredients are mixed in together I can't really put it back into water and boil - does anyone have any tricks up their sleeves for a situation like this?

I'm thinking maybe I can microwave it, but it might do something weird to the pesto and basil leaves. Or will it be okay? Perhaps putting it in the oven may be a better idea?

Any ideas will be great :D

Thanks!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: Undercooked pasta but already dished up?

Postby poxic » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:33 am UTC

Microwave will be fastest, maybe 20 second shots until it's the way you want it (2 or 3 shots total?). Oven would seem classier, but might not actually accomplish more.

Try it and let us know how it works. :wink:
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Phoenix112358

Postby Phoenix112358 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:59 am UTC

Hm I ended up doing four 25 second bursts on the microwave. It ended up okay - but nothing as good as if I had gotten it right the first time around. Well that's one mistake I won't be making anymore!

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:55 am UTC

with things like pasta and rice, when you put it in the microwave add a little water. depends on how much cooking you need done and stuff, but the turnout will be better. esentially you want enough water to steam it but not so much that there is still some left in the food. did i mention you need a cover? yeah, cover it.

also, when you get good at the add water technique, you can re-moisten cake and dim-sum and stuff.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Food”