5 minute Pasta

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mutestorm

5 minute Pasta

Postby mutestorm » Thu May 13, 2010 4:27 pm UTC

Hello Food Board.

My friend recently moved, leaving me here without someone who can cook halfway decent. The thing is, I'm not all that great, so I'm not sure if he was as good as I think he was or just better than me.

Regardless, he was a vegetarian, and I love his quick pastas. He'd be hungry at whatever time of night, and mix penne, parmesan, green peppers and butter, and get this great pasta. He probably added other things, but all in all it took him a few minutes to prepare post pasta prep. I was wondering if anyone has other light throw together recipes I could memorize to this effect; things that you might not even consider a 'recipe.' I miss these pastas :P.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by mutestorm on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Aodhan

Re: 5 minute Pasta

Postby Aodhan » Fri May 14, 2010 7:10 am UTC

This one probably takes about 10 minutes.
Ingredients:
Pasta (penne or fusili, preferably)
olive oil
2 cans tinned tomatoes
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1 or 2 chillies
4-5 anchovy fillets
pepper
olives (optional)
Basil and flatleaf parsley

Method:
Cook pasta.
Combine rest of ingredients. Cook for 5 or so minutes.
Mix with pasta.
Done!

Sorry it's a bit approximate, but I normally make it without thinking.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Fri May 14, 2010 12:07 pm UTC

Pastas are easy which is why they're great. I've brought up Jamie Oliver before and he has great easy quick pastas. Here's one that couldn't be any simpler and you can easily make in the time it takes to boil the spaghetti:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/past ... -spaghetti

Instead of rocket (arugula), you could use baby spinach or baby romaine or whatever you you have on hand. I think the key to making it taste really delicious is seasoning it well and topping it with good quality olive oil and a boat load of parmesan cheese.

Here's another nice snack: (slightly longer than 5 minutes but well worth the wait):

Get a Camembert cheese in a box. Take the lid off the box and slice the top layer of wax paper off of the cheese and top it with chopped garlic, a sprig or two of rosemary, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle over olive oil. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20-25 mins until the cheese melts. At the same time put a pot of penne on and time it so the penne will be cooked at the same time as the cheese. Just before the penne is cooked, throw a large handful of spinach in with it so that it wilts. Drain the pasta and spinach (save a few spoonfuls of the cooking water in case you want to loosen up the pasta), pour the melted cheese over the pasta, mix around, and serve.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sat May 15, 2010 3:10 am UTC

There's this fun book, which is tons of recipes of stuff to make while the pasta cooks. Tasty, too.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat May 15, 2010 3:26 am UTC

Aodhan wrote:This one probably takes about 10 minutes.
Ingredients:
Pasta (penne or fusili, preferably)
olive oil
2 cans tinned tomatoes
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1 or 2 chillies
4-5 anchovy fillets
pepper
olives (optional)
Basil and flatleaf parsley

This reminds me of a pasta that I really like with pasta, olive oil, basil, garlic and sardines. I don't know everything that's in it, as I never had the recipe, but I've found a passable substitute at the grocery store that's *really* quick. It's one of the Near East pasta products, and you have to add the sardines yourself... I think it's just called "garlic and olive oil pasta" or something. Prepare according to directions, remove the spines from the sardines, and mix them in.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Wed May 26, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

Leftovers often mix well with pasta.

Chop them up if they are in large, unwieldy pieces. Mix with cooked pasta, sprinkle with cheese, and bake at 350F till heated through / cheese melted and brown.

For example I made this for dinner one night (the ingredient list looks long but it was an easy recipe, and it's tasty but full of cheap healthy veggies). The next night I cut up the remaining chicken and made a really awesome pasta bake that took about 2 seconds to prep.

Also, add capers and crushed red pepper flakes to Aodhan's recipe and you've got pasta puttanesca.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu May 27, 2010 11:02 am UTC

pooteeweet wrote:Also, add capers and crushed red pepper flakes to Aodhan's recipe and you've got pasta puttanesca.

Wash your mouth out! :D

I love that pasta, though. You can use canned tuna instead of or in addition to the other fish products. One of the great things about it, appropriate for this thread ("quick" pasta) is you can make it without having to go out and buy fresh ingredients, assuming your pantry is like mine and always has pasta, canned tomatoes, a few bunches of garlic, and so on lying around. Very handy for when you want a decent meal but don't want to (or can't) go shopping.

Probably the fastest and easiest pasta is pasta alla olio - garlic, dried chillis / chilli flakes, and parmesan cheese. Cook the garlic and chilli in the oil while hte pasta is cooking. Just make sure you do it REALLY slowly - burn the garlic and you have to start again. I add fresh parsley or basil if I have it lying around.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:38 pm UTC

My favorite quick pasta is pesto. I make it quickly by making most of it in advance. I grind the basil leaves, walnuts (cheaper than pine nuts and they still taste really good) garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper together and freeze it (in sections, with less olive oil than I'll end up using so it doesn't all flow together). Then, when I want to eat pesto, I start cooking the pasta, get some frozen pesto, microwave it for 30 seconds or less, grate Parmesan cheese (which doesn't freeze well) onto my pesto, add a bit of olive oil, and wallah, I have pasta with pesto.

And, like many others here, if I'm using two pots (one for the pasta, one for the sauce) I can make a quick tomato sauce in just a tiny bit more time than it takes me to make the pasta. My favorite is just huge amounts of garlic (about half a head), cut into big chunks, with the tomatoes from one can of canned tomatoes, olive oil, salt, and pepper. I cook it until the tomatoes are soft and easily squished (and I've squished about half of them), and wallah, I'm done. Put on top of pasta with some Parmesean cheese, and it's excellent.

josiahs

Postby josiahs » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:My favorite quick pasta is pesto. I make it quickly by making most of it in advance. I grind the basil leaves, walnuts (cheaper than pine nuts and they still taste really good) garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper together and freeze it (in sections, with less olive oil than I'll end up using so it doesn't all flow together). Then, when I want to eat pesto, I start cooking the pasta, get some frozen pesto, microwave it for 30 seconds or less, grate Parmesan cheese (which doesn't freeze well) onto my pesto, add a bit of olive oil, and wallah, I have pasta with pesto.

And, like many others here, if I'm using two pots (one for the pasta, one for the sauce) I can make a quick tomato sauce in just a tiny bit more time than it takes me to make the pasta. My favorite is just huge amounts of garlic (about half a head), cut into big chunks, with the tomatoes from one can of canned tomatoes, olive oil, salt, and pepper. I cook it until the tomatoes are soft and easily squished (and I've squished about half of them), and wallah, I'm done. Put on top of pasta with some Parmesean cheese, and it's excellent.

Mmmm.. That sound delicious. I'll have to give that a try. I'm also using two posts for pastas as well.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:26 am UTC

Pesto is the besto! Although I'm not too sure about the walnuts, for me their bitter flavour might make the pesto less smooth than I'd like.

And wowsers that is a lot of garlic. I'd also recommend adding a bit of dried oregano from your spice rack, and some fresh basil or parsley at the end, if you have these things. Not to say your sauce is too simple - sometimes you just want simple - but I personally can't stop myself from adding some herbs.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:08 pm UTC

I cook the garlic for as long as I cook the the tomatoes, so it comes out quite mild at the end. I do love garlic, though. I really don't like the taste of most dried herbs, and oregano has never been my favorite herb. If I've got some fresh basil, I'll add it, but fresh herbs (esp. basil) go bad so quickly that I don't usually have them around (and I don't have a cats-won't-eat-them place to grow them). And I do like simple. But for more other people's pallets (like that of the OP, who I hope is still reading), that's good advice.

I didn't expect to like the walnut pesto as much as the pine nut pesto, but the basil and walnut really compliment each other. I also don't use very much nut, so it honestly tastes extremely simliar. And I use walnuts in all kinds of other things, so I've always got them on hand.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:53 pm UTC

That all sounds pretty reasonable. I especially agree with the idea of using things you are likely to have around, I used to have loads of half-finished packets of this and that. After a while I realised that with a few crafty substitutions that really didn't affect the food for the worse I could actually finish things before they went off.

Return to “Food”