Cereal killer - An alternative to milk?

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Cereal killer - An alternative to milk?

Postby 01000011 » Sun May 30, 2010 11:46 am UTC

So you lovely forumers, here's an interesting question (well, not really :P)

I want to get back into eating cereal again, but I really cannot stand the taste of milk. I don't mind eating cereal dry but it seems more like a snack when I do that.
So I was wondering, what could I put on my cereal instead of milk? I'm particularly keen to start eating bran flakes/corn flakes or those sorts of cereals (And maybe slicing some banana or something onto them) but I don't know what to use to soften it up a bit. I tried apricot yoghurt at one point which was nice for about 2 days, then it started to taste weird (I think the yoghurt went off).

I was thinking maybe vanilla yoghurt - but any other suggestions?
For those wondering, my username is binary for C, the C is for Courtney. Refer to me by any of the 3 names.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Cereal killer - An alternative to milk?

Postby PAstrychef » Sun May 30, 2010 2:51 pm UTC

soy, rice or almond milks can be tasty. Plenty of folks like fruit juice. Vanilla, or even plain yogurt is good, especially for the crunchier cereals. Just buy it in small enough amounts that it doesn't have time to spoil. And hot cereals have as much fiber as cold ones and can be spiced up with maple syrup, brown sugar and so on.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sun May 30, 2010 6:49 pm UTC

Soy milk - assuming one is not allergic to it.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Sun May 30, 2010 9:33 pm UTC

Not sure if you're just referring to commercial processed cereals, but here's a cereal I eat quite a lot. It's easy to make and keeps in the fridge for a couple of days.

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups yogurt (any kind)
1 juicy eating apple, peeled or unpeeled
1 Tbsp (a squeeze) of lime juice

Optional:
honey or maple syrup to taste (if the yogurt is unsweetened)
Berries
dried fruit
toasted or untoasted nuts

Finely grate the apple in a large bowl. Add everything else and give it a stir. Let it sit overnight if possible.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun May 30, 2010 10:03 pm UTC

That sounds like something I used to make, before I grew an allergy to the orange juice:

Big handful of leftover brown rice (or white rice, or other sturdy cooked grain)
Sliced bananana
Small handful of seeds/nuts (I used shelled sunflower seeds and/or almonds, as available)
Enough orange juice to cover everything

Mix up and leave in fridge overnight. The bananana pieces don't turn brown but they do soften up, as does the rice and other bits. Quite the ashram breakfast, just add Om.

/nom nom
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon May 31, 2010 10:06 am UTC

Preserved or tinned fruit with its juice. With or without some cream for richness. Plums, apricots, cherries and peaches are particularly good.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:08 pm UTC

I second the hot cereal suggestion. I've recently gotten into Bob's Red Mill 7 Grain Hot Cereal (whole grain stone ground: wheat, rye, oats, triticale, barley, brown rice, and flaxseed with added oat bran). I'm surprising myself by enjoying it even as the weather, including the temperature inside my apartment, is getting quite warm. I make it by putting 1/4 C of the cereal in a bowl with 3/4 cups of water, microwaving it on 40% power for 5 minutes, then adding frozen blueberries (from my freezer), maybe a little more water, and microwaving it for 30 seconds or a minute on high. I tell you this, not because your microwave will be exactly like mine, but because it's super-easy to do (the 5 minute microwave is perfect to do while I'm in the shower or something, and it really doesn't matter how long the cereal sits around before I add blueberries and warm it up). Some people like oat meal, some people like cream of wheat but I love the small chunks of mixed whole grains.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:20 pm UTC

If you are busy, something like Vanilla Soy Milk is actually Not That Bad. I switched because I wanted to get more protein/less calories, so I tried it and it wasn't bad at all.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

Soy milk tastes pretty good. It goes well with cereal, and surprisingly well with baby sweet gruel.

dustoff2010

Postby dustoff2010 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:14 am UTC

I used apple juice with my cereal before I discovered almond milk. I like the original and vanila. I have been drinking that for years and wouldn't change it.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

I've never tried it with dry cereal personally, but another option is light coconut milk. I can vouch that it tastes good in oatmeal.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:58 am UTC

Almond milk? I hadn't heard of that before. Given the considerable cost of ordinary almonds, I can't imagine that it's cheap.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:03 am UTC

My girlfriend puts strong, slightly sweetened tea in her cereal sometimes. I'm a fan of yogurt and such, but don't understand how you could dislike the flavor of milk but enjoy the flavor of yogurt. But meh, can't argue taste.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:47 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Almond milk? I hadn't heard of that before. Given the considerable cost of ordinary almonds, I can't imagine that it's cheap.

It's a common vegan alternative to cow's milk, and you can make it at home. I've never made it before and have no idea of the cost, but regular milk is expensive (at least where I live), so I don't think it would be that much more.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

You can buy an awful lot of milk here for the same price of a tiny container of almonds.

Return to “Food”