Cooking disasters

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Re: Cooking disasters

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:20 am UTC

So lactose-free kesam is really disguisting and kind of has the consistency of sandy rubbery hairy slightly old yoghurt.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:16 am UTC

Sometimes meringue just goes bad. Trying to make some Italian meringue at work, the whites have a nice solid foam-add the hot syrup and it's all over-foamy liquid with no structure. I suspect that someone use my pastry brush for something greasy and it contaminated my syrup when I cleaned the sides of the pot. It took three tries to get enough for my cupcakes.
Then my ganache got left on a burner by mistake and sorched. Eight pounds of ganache, in the trash. And I got damn near nothing done for tomorrow.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:45 am UTC

that almost makes me want to cry
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

mia johnson

Postby mia johnson » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:12 am UTC

Hi,
I don't think anything has to be wrong for someone to think that donuts and liquor might be a good idea.

CelticNot

Postby CelticNot » Wed May 25, 2016 5:08 pm UTC

Arise! ARIIISE!

This past weekend I tried making Cantonese-style beef brisket stew. Really great recipe.

The problem is that this particular stew was designed to be very low-liquid... and I live at 2200 feet, which is shorthand for never trust the recipe, a fact I always forget. The liquid ended up burning off, and thanks to the sugar content, half of the radish and beef caramelized to the non-stick wok, then turned to charcoal.

What I managed to salvage was surprisingly tender and tasty, but damn am I mad at myself.

Relatedly, does anyone know a good resource for recipe conversions when cooking at a high altitude?
This sig for rent. Rates negotiable.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed May 25, 2016 6:31 pm UTC

https://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/i ... -3-03.html

I noted this when I visited a friend who lived above 3000 feet. I'm a sea-level-liver myself, and I find the whole thing frustrating, although It'd be fun to try out yeasted breads, I could get some great oven spring at lower pressures.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Return to “Food”