Sucking out marrow

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Sucking out marrow

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:11 pm UTC

In many pieces of literature (I can even recall it in some Norse mythology) I've seen references to "sucking the marrow out of bones", and I've never understood it. When I eat fried chicken, it is often possible to gnaw on the bones a bit and maybe chew out a little bit of the marrow inside, but never any substantial quantity, and certainly no amount of sucking will aid in the removal.

So where exactly does this phenomenon apply? Maybe I just don't eat enough meat on the bone. (I am aware that bone marrow is particularly nutritious.)

Ulc

Re: Sucking out marrow

Postby Ulc » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:43 pm UTC

It would be possible on all large mammel bones, where the marrow goes really soft when heated.

Chicken bones are completely different in structure.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:45 pm UTC

Beef marrow, if you're not completely grossed out by the texture of hot, meat-based pudding, is amaaaaaaazing.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

I find marrow in lamb and beef bones, mostly. I guess you're not eating the right kind because it's pretty obvious when you get it.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:54 am UTC

Sucking will get you a bit of marrow, but it's more effective to use a marrow spoon. I've used it mostly on goat meat.

:(){ :|:& };:

Postby :(){ :|:& };: » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:45 am UTC

Bone marrow is a real treat, and if you are keen to try it, then ossobuco is one of the best ways to go, if only for ease of access.

Wikipedia wrote:Ossobuco (hollowed bone in Italian) is a dish whose name refers to the large piece of marrow in the center of the veal shank bone. It derives from the phrase osso buco (literally "bone hole") in the Western Lombard dialect because the bone marrow is part of the appeal of the dish.

You can sometimes find it in supermarkets and often at Italian restaurants.

Nath wrote:Sucking will get you a bit of marrow, but it's more effective to use a marrow spoon. I've used it mostly on goat meat.

Much more adept than the knife I've been using. :) Also the idea of goat marrow sounds fantastic, if only I could find on apt cut of goat.
I am a very small shell script.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:20 pm UTC

Best use of this is Fergus Henderson's. I've had this twice in restaurants and made it at home and it's always incredible. Also just ate some small marrow pieces out of a couple of lamb chops and that's always a lovely bonus.

Return to “Food”